Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

Before I got wireless buds I spent many years searching for more J-Style earbuds where the cord would go over your neck, which made it much easier to take out when your mom was yelling at you to take those loving things out you wanted to. I can't think of why they didn't become the standard style except for it was a Sony patent thing.
These were great once I realized the longer cord was that way on purpose, and what that purpose was. I bought them expecting regular earbuds and was initially dismayed by the apparent gently caress-up. Now I wish I still had a pair like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah you want going around the neck earphones for jogging, you can get Bluetooth neck earphones for jogging and cycling too.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

You Am I posted:

Holy poo poo an 060 accelerator

I picked up my A1200 with all the Workbench 3.0 disks, PSU and mouse for AU$200 in 2003. Now the model number stands for how much people sell one in dollars these days
Yeah, it was lightning quick at basically any task you threw at it. It could even play Alien Breed 3D 2 at full-screen size rather than the postage-stamp size that the vanilla A1200 had to make do with!

The only reason I sold it really was because my chosen career (web development) involved all sorts of software that just wasn't available on the Amiga, so my hand was forced.

I eventually bought another A1200. The managing director of Amiga shortly before they completely went under, a man named Petro Tyschtschenko, was told about a cache of hundreds of brand-new, never used A1200s that were sold to India but never made it to customers, so he organised a group buy for Amiga fans to get them at more or less cost price, and I was one of the lucky ones.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I envy you. I want to be nostalgic for Amiga. Everything about it looked so cool and I imagine everyone had a ton of fun with it back in the day. Seems like the kinda stuff I'd still have fun with, and the nostalgia would be a bonus.

I love old niche operating systems and just everything about it.

Sadly it was not meant to be, for I only had a lowly vic-20 as a kid until the jump to Windows 95, me turning into a nerd, and everybody dumping their 386s and 486s and even a 286 on me to screw around with (and it was awesome.)

Still though, there used to be a "beta collecting" scene. There still is, but the spinoffs of the original community are a shadow of what they were in the early 2000s. I screwed around with basically every weird build of Windows we had, and they were full of obsolete and failed tech, I think Windows development was a trainwreck back in the day where different labs would be making builds that were both ahead of and behind builds from other labs, and they were all trying new stuff that would almost definitely be cut from the final build.

One of those around the ME/Neptune era, activity centers.

The idea was basically not that different from electron.

But because Microsoft can't finish a single cool thing, it failed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:wotwot:

https://twitter.com/OldLondonW14/status/1760385145507389447?s=20

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Did those even have mufflers? I just realized how loud it must have been when there were a bunch of early cars clogging the streets

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Guessing a pedal-powered vehicle doesn't need a muffler

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Everyone was real gassy back in the day

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Depends on the gearing, I've heard some loud bicycles.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I dunno, it can get a bit drafty, plenty of times on a ride I would've liked a muffler, back before my bicycle got stolen

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Had the rare pleasure of introducing a couple of friends to the Sinclair C5 last night.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Had the rare pleasure of introducing a couple of friends to the Sinclair C5 last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL_0QGvPz7M

Had to look it up on youtube, it's basically a bad bike, it looks cool but that's about it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The C5 was much-mocked at the time, but it's one of those cases of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and not knowing how to do the e-bike thing correctly. Sinclair tried again in the early 90s with a folding e-bike called the Zike, but battery technology still hadn't caught up and it was slow and under-powered just like the C5. But things like the C5 and Zike had to fail so that people could get it right later.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sweevo posted:

The C5 was much-mocked at the time, but it's one of those cases of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and not knowing how to do the e-bike thing correctly. Sinclair tried again in the early 90s with a folding e-bike called the Zike, but battery technology still hadn't caught up and it was slow and under-powered just like the C5. But things like the C5 and Zike had to fail so that people could get it right later.

I used to see one of these parked on the street in austin just rotting away

it really wasn't till cellphones and laptops drove the market to need better batteries that we got any real improvement in battery tech, instead of cars forcing the innovation, thats why there were so many false starts with these early electric vehicles I guess.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I have never seen it, but I really like the look of it. The hub caps look really classic.

Can we reboot BTTF with this handicapped ebike?

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

The Wikipedia C5 article has one of my favourite bits of blunt writing ever

quote:

A Sinclair spokesman told the media that the halt in production was "due to a shortage of certain components which are unable to be re-ordered while a financial settlement is pending. Once this has been concluded production is envisaged to recommence."

Demise of Sinclair Vehicles

Production did not recommence and the Hoover production line remained closed permanently.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Not directly related to the C5, only via "silly-looking vehicles from decades past" but there's a bloke living somewhere near me whose daily ride is apparently a Reliant Robin. No idea who he is, I just see him driving the thing around on a regular basis.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

stephenthinkpad posted:

I have never seen it, but I really like the look of it. The hub caps look really classic.

That's the one thing I can't fault the C5 for: Sinclair got Lotus to design the chassis and it still looks great.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

I used to see one of these parked on the street in austin just rotting away

it really wasn't till cellphones and laptops drove the market to need better batteries that we got any real improvement in battery tech, instead of cars forcing the innovation, thats why there were so many false starts with these early electric vehicles I guess.

Those things were so loving badly made lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilIozuRmTQs

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I remember seeing a Simone Giertz video about them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXzcIoq2ing

I'd love to have something like that to zip around town in at 15-20 MPH. Just a small electric car/thing (but more modern battery and motor technology) for quick trips to the store or what have you. I love rare little vehicles like that and wish I had the space and money to collect more.

I have a weird three-wheeled Honda "scooter" thing (Gyro), but it still takes gas (I've thought about trying to convert it to electric but I'm not that technically skilled.)

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Feb 22, 2024

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Ebikes really fill that need now. You can have a small basket or cargo holder on the back. 20mph and a little bit of exercise, and very affordable.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Nocheez posted:

Ebikes really fill that need now. You can have a small basket or cargo holder on the back. 20mph and a little bit of exercise, and very affordable.

They also make electric motorcycles/scooters now which are cool. I'd really like an electric Honda Trail...

Sometimes they put some pedals on those electric motorcycles and call them a bicycle and dickheads ride them on cycle paths, which isn't cool.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

Yeah. I've actually had a go driving/riding a C5, albeit around a former airfield rather than on the actual roads. In isolation, as a personal transport device, it's actually a really neat design. It's a great upgrade over being a pedestrian or a cyclist and would work really well if we lived in mixed-density cities with local amenities linked by grade separated cycle paths and streets where pedestrians have priority. Unfortunately (as the pics show) it exists in a car-orientated world with roads occupied by cars, trucks and lorries. And it was hampered by the state of battery and motor tech. As well as being a vehicle with no weather protection (other than an optional cagoule) in the famously balmy, warm and predictable UK.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's the part I don't get, why build a sit down transport without weather protection? It just doesn't make sense.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Kwyndig posted:

That's the part I don't get, why build a sit down transport without weather protection? It just doesn't make sense.

What?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Kwyndig posted:

It's not supposed to have the boring stuff.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

That man is absolutely contemplating jacking off in there, if he isn't already doing so.

Edit: God damnit you're quick vv

tribbledirigible has a new favorite as of 22:05 on Feb 23, 2024

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

tribbledirigible posted:

That man is absolutely contemplating jacking off in there, if he isn't already doing so.

I sincerely hope you quoted the wrong post

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
The pedals are actually attached to a hand job machine

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

there's no way your mom could fit under that little poncho thing

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

tribbledirigible posted:

Edit: God damnit you're quick vv

mobile jack shack

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
there's a loophole in the law. you're allowed to do it in one of those things. cops can't do poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Pham Nuwen posted:

there's no way your mom could fit under that little poncho thing

Since she's a pile of ashes in an urn over the fireplace at my dad's house, she probably could actually.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

uber_stoat posted:

there's a loophole in the law. you're allowed to do it in one of those things. cops can't do poo poo.

I'm sorry ma'am, but he's in a jackwagon. I can't even tell him to move along, much less write a ticket or arrest him.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

they see me rollin'

i be jackin'

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

I got Sennheiser CX 300-II in 2010 that were like this. I thought this was really common, but I don't really know. It's like a taboo to make a promotional picture that shows the whole cord apparently.
Hey, thanks for mentioning these--I found some on eBay for a reasonable price. I'm glad these asymmetrical cords (as Sennheiser calls them) are still around, if rare.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

so that's actually a foot job machine

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

doctorfrog posted:

they see me rollin'

i be jackin'

they always trying to catch me ridin’ squirty

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Weird scooter discussion reminded me of the various attempts to make roofed bikes or bike/car hybrids. BMW in particular seemed really invested in it over here for a short time (e.g. strongly lobbying for them to be exempt from helmet laws), but they never seem to have gone anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I read this short manual about how to send telegrams from 1928

https://web.archive.org/web/20170315175434fw_/http://www.telegraph-office.com/pages/telegram.html#How%20to%20Write%20Figures

This sounds awesome:

quote:

Telegraphic Shopping Service -- In addition to the regular money order service, the telegraph companies maintain what is known as a telegraphic shopping service. As now organized, this service permits of the purchase by telegraph of any standardized article from a locomotive to a paper or pins. The person wishing to make the purchase has merely to call at the telegraph office, specify the article he wishes to have bought, and pay the cost, plus a small charge for the service. Directions will then be telegraphed to the point at which the purchase is to be made, and an employee will buy the article desired. It delivery is to be made in the city where the article is purchased, it will be forwarded by messenger. If delivery is to be made at a distant point, it will be sent by parcel post or express.

The service is utilized by the public in a variety of ways. For example on Mother's Day a person in San Francisco purchased an automobile drive for his mother who was in New York. The telegraph company in New York merely called up a taxi company and directed them to send a car to a certain address at a definite time and take the party specified for a three hour drive.

Through the cooperation of florists throughout the country, flowers may be ordered by telegraph and delivered in virtually any city or town in the United States. Flowers also maybe ordered by cable for delivery in the larger cities of Europe. Candies, books and cigars, etc., may be ordered in a similar manner, though the florists are somewhat more highly organized.

Railway tickets also may be ordered by telegraph. In this case the telegraph company official acts as agent, making the purchase of the ticket and delivering it to the person specified, who usually is a minor or an aged person.