Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I remember when I was doing my Russia research pre lawsuit, I found that the head of Sberbanks wife had registered Sba LLC out of Florida like a decade ago and never got around to checking if it was supposed to be a sberbank front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

Well I'm sure the Russians would like Trump to win the election. I don't think Trump going bankrupt would necessarily mean he loses but it certainly doesn't help his chances of winning.

I'm sure they'd prefer for him to win, but House Republicans have been doing a pretty good job of stopping Ukraine aid and spreading general political chaos, even under a Dem president.

Ironically, Trump has done such a good job of taking over the party that he's rendered himself replaceable. If he starts looking too much like a sinking ship or becomes too much of a pain in the rear end to bail out, they can just start backing someone else.

It's too late to pick a new horse to back in the presidential race (unless Trump accidentally trips and falls onto a syringe full of plutonium someone carelessly left around), but as long as the GOP holds one house of Congress they can pretty much block any Ukraine aid.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Main Paineframe posted:

Ironically, Trump has done such a good job of taking over the party that he's rendered himself replaceable. If he starts looking too much like a sinking ship or becomes too much of a pain in the rear end to bail out, they can just start backing someone else.

Maybe to Russia, but he's not going to go away (while alive) so long as he controls all the GOP voters, and I don't think Russian influence is the only reason they keep voting for him

quote:

It's too late to pick a new horse to back in the presidential race (unless Trump accidentally trips and falls onto a syringe full of plutonium someone carelessly left around), but as long as the GOP holds one house of Congress they can pretty much block any Ukraine aid.

Kinda feel like Russia assassinating a former US president would trigger WW3 even if was the guy everybody hates

Counted
Apr 28, 2023
So this is pretty wild. In the GA case, a criminal defense investigator who did some digging for Sadow and Litle on behalf of the defense just filed to have all the cellphone location data for Wade from 2021 filed into evidence. Apparently the investigator sent a request to AT&T's subpoena department and they gave him everything they had for 2021 in a zip file(kind of odd how they complied so broadly to me).

Takeaways I'm seeing:

1.) Seems to be more implied than direct evidence, they're trying to use "heatmaps" and the times of text and calls near Hapeville from Wade to say there was romance going on because, you know, lawyers totally don't work well into 3 am at multiple locations during a big case.

2.) It doesn't look like they submitted all of this with a heads up to the court or anyone else, so I can't imagine this will go over well.

3.) I personally think they haven't given up on just kicking up enough dirt that some of the media will pick up and sensationalize to try to make finding an untainted jury pool difficult.

4.) Looks pretty sketchy to me that they're trying to submit into the official record domething detailing where Wade frequents the most after so many threats and intimidation relating to this case. See: Fani's dad's testimony about all the people hanging out of her house and vandalizing it with racist threats.

I can't imagine this will go over well with McAfee. If he entertains this at all after the circus last week, it won't be a good look.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

That's hosed up, man. Putting a guy's location tracker into evidence. Nah, that won't happen.

Counted
Apr 28, 2023

mdemone posted:

That's hosed up, man. Putting a guy's location tracker into evidence. Nah, that won't happen.

No way it will, and yeah. Agreed. If I was Wade I'd be changing where I go already. I wouldn't even wait as there's a non-zero chance it'll be leaked anyways.

Just really drives home how they really do have nothing and know it. Just more motions filed in the hope it's picked up by media outlets to stir controversy and to intimidate people in these cases' orbit.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

Maybe to Russia, but he's not going to go away (while alive) so long as he controls all the GOP voters, and I don't think Russian influence is the only reason they keep voting for him

Kinda feel like Russia assassinating a former US president would trigger WW3 even if was the guy everybody hates

Yeah, I'm not saying Russia's going to make him go away - just that if his prospects start looking bad or not worth the trouble, then they won't go through fire and water for him. If he's able to win despite being half a billion bucks in debt, then they'll happily spend the equivalent of a couple thousand bucks worth of Facebook ads on his campaign. If not, they'll pour that money into House swing districts instead so that they can maintain political influence even when he loses.

The base won't support a direct competitor to Trump as long as Trump is in the race, and a few rich diehard cultists like Lindell might very well throw a bunch of money at him, but the various wealthy interests backing him for their own interests aren't necessarily going to feel obligated to continue bailing him out no matter how deep a hole he digs himself into.

Was being facetious with the plutonium joke, but it's probably not super difficult to make the death of a 77-year-old man with a super unhealthy lifestyle look like an accident. I don't honestly think Russia would go through the trouble of actually assassinating him, rather than just focusing their influence efforts on other offices in 2024. From a "spreading chaos in the American political system" perspective, a Trump loss does that almost as a Trump win. And from a "establishing sufficient influence in US politics to block anti-Russia measures" perspective, Russia has been able to establish itself pretty well among the MAGA members of Congress.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Counted posted:

So this is pretty wild. In the GA case, a criminal defense investigator who did some digging for Sadow and Litle on behalf of the defense just filed to have all the cellphone location data for Wade from 2021 filed into evidence. Apparently the investigator sent a request to AT&T's subpoena department and they gave him everything they had for 2021 in a zip file(kind of odd how they complied so broadly to me).

Takeaways I'm seeing:

1.) Seems to be more implied than direct evidence, they're trying to use "heatmaps" and the times of text and calls near Hapeville from Wade to say there was romance going on because, you know, lawyers totally don't work well into 3 am at multiple locations during a big case.

2.) It doesn't look like they submitted all of this with a heads up to the court or anyone else, so I can't imagine this will go over well.

3.) I personally think they haven't given up on just kicking up enough dirt that some of the media will pick up and sensationalize to try to make finding an untainted jury pool difficult.

4.) Looks pretty sketchy to me that they're trying to submit into the official record domething detailing where Wade frequents the most aft.er so many threats and intimidation relating to this case. See: Fani's dad's testimony about all the people hanging out of her house and vandalizing it with racist threats.

I can't imagine this will go over well with McAfee. If he entertains this at all after the circus last week, it won't be a good look.

I mean, that's not great. I'm kinda surprised that was available without a warrant. Wade and willis may also have been surprised here.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 23, 2024

Caros
May 14, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean, that's not great. I'm kinda surprised that was available without a warrant. Wade and willis may also have been surprised here.

One note from the ajc reporting on this.

'The Hapeville home is less than two miles from Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport but Mittelsatdt said his analysis had eliminated the possibility that the phone was in the airport.'

I trust a Trump camp legal analyst about as far as I can throw them. As with everything that has come out in the Willis stuff, the accusations from the Trump camp are never going to get stronger than they are right now, and the strength of their argument right now boils down to 'we have his phone showing up in an urban area matching a coworker in the evening'

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The only thing TRump seems to care about is the image he projects: that of a bigly billionaire that is above the petty poo poo us mere mortals have to deal with.

Except the legal system has him facing a reckoning.

Either he has the cash/liquid assets to cover the fines for his appeals - or he don't. I do not think he has any way of raising this money.

If/when that reality becomes unassailable fact, the media - biased or not - will report that TRump is broke.

Then, he still has to pay. Somehow. I think disgorgement will vaporize what's left of TRump Org.

It's been fairly well established that TRump is a toxic, malignant narcissist. But I have not been able to find online, what happens to such people when the inevitable concrete cell of reality closes in, and becomes utterly impossible to ignore.

I don't mean jail. I don't think he'll live long enough to see the inside of a cell.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

It's been fairly well established that TRump is a toxic, malignant narcissist. But I have not been able to find online, what happens to such people when the inevitable concrete cell of reality closes in, and becomes utterly impossible to ignore.

Clinically?

Generally they'll retreat into whatever environment is most nurturing/protective of whatever is left of their ego, and lash out at anyone they can to reestablish some sense of orientation/control. It's probably what's happening as he fully embraces christian nationalism, it's just occurring in the context of a huge election.

MAL is gonna turn into the last days of Hitler's bunker.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 23, 2024

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

PainterofCrap posted:

The only thing TRump seems to care about is the image he projects: that of a bigly billionaire that is above the petty poo poo us mere mortals have to deal with.

Except the legal system has him facing a reckoning.

Either he has the cash/liquid assets to cover the fines for his appeals - or he don't. I do not think he has any way of raising this money.

If/when that reality becomes unassailable fact, the media - biased or not - will report that TRump is broke.

Then, he still has to pay. Somehow. I think disgorgement will vaporize what's left of TRump Org.

I don't mean jail. I don't think he'll live long enough to see the inside of a cell.

Well Hitler killed his dog then shot himself, so...

Counted
Apr 28, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It looks like the kind of vague circumstantial evidence they tried to pass off during cross last week. I'm not sure this will change anything for Fani and Wade here. These few things stand out to me:

Filing posted:

...[records] revealed a minimum of 35 occasions when Mr. Wade’s phone connected for an extended period to either one of those towers in closest proximity to the Dogwood address"

They don't even place him anywhere specific but are trying to refer to these as "occasions" like they are actual smoking guns. A cellphone tower still isn't an address. It doesn't contradict Wade saying he goes to restaurants and the like in the area.

Filing posted:

Because of the limitations in analyzing the sheer volume of data and preparing the report, I was directed to conduct a deeper analysis on two specific dates: September 11-12, 2021 (before | understand Mr. Wade washired)and November 29-30, 2021

They describe 35 "occasions" earlier but have only analyzed two of them relating to a specific area.

Filing posted:

Specifically, on September 11, 2021, Mr. Wade's phone left the Doraville area and arrived within the geofence located on the Dogwood address at 10:45 P-M. The phone remained there until September 12 at 3:28 AM. at which time the phone traveled directly to towers located in East Cobb consistent with his routine pinging at his residence in that area. The phone arrived in East Cobb at approximately 4:05 AM. and records demonstrate he sent a text at 4:20 A.M. to Ms. Willis.

Him being there late twice isn't evidence of perjury at all. He testified he was there "less than ten" times and went there infrequently but was still in the area on lunch or business. I don't see any of this disproving that from what's available, unless this investigator is holding more than 10 incidents specifically at her address closer to his chest, in which case why not just include that in the filing since hearings are already over?

I'm strongly leaning towards this being a nothingburger as far as a smoking gun for an earlier relationship goes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

davecrazy posted:

Well Hitler killed his dog then shot himself, so...

Well, that sounds like Giuliani should probably steer clear of MAL then.

Caros
May 14, 2008

$464,576,230.62

Just in case anyone is curious.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

PainterofCrap posted:

Those concept albums never have clear endings. I'd ask Roger Waters, but he worked himself into being pro-Russia.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Caros posted:

$464,576,230.62

Is this the total amount he has to pay to file an appeal? Or is it this plus 10%?

Either way: :lol:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
BORN TO GRIFT
REAL ESTATE IS A gently caress
lock em up 2024
I am indictment man
464,576,230.62 PENALTY DOLLARS

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Caros posted:

$464,576,230.62

Man, I hate searching my couch for spare change like that.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man, I hate searching my couch for spare change like that.

I’d be glad to take that ratty old couch full of millions off your hands

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Caros posted:

$464,576,230.62

Someone needs to post a website with a rolling counter like the national debt clock or something.

Also, Hitler's bunker would be a fine ending for Trump.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I’d be glad to take that ratty old couch full of millions off your hands

Thanks, but I just got an answer for my craigslist add. The guy is even willing to give me ten bucks for it! I just need to deliver it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Also, Hitler's bunker would be a fine ending for Trump.

It won’t happen unless he loses the election.

Until the election is over that’s the way out. These judgements stop mattering if he successfully becomes an autocrat.

He loses(God willing), election night could be extremely wild.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

haveblue posted:

BORN TO GRIFT
lock em up 2024
I am indictment man

:drat:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

haveblue posted:

BORN TO GRIFT
lock em up 2024
I am indictment man

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Bar Ran Dun posted:

He loses(God willing), election night could be extremely wild.

If only it could be election night. I vividly remember 2020 and being on pins and needles for 4 days wondering if we were going full fash or not because of counts and recounts and accusations of fraud and interference. That poo poo was exhausting, gently caress election week.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

If only it could be election night. I vividly remember 2020 and being on pins and needles for 4 days wondering if we were going full fash or not because of counts and recounts and accusations of fraud and interference. That poo poo was exhausting, gently caress election week.

Yeah I held an election party, everyone went home, and 5(?) days later watching results trickle in, it was called while I was driving and it took all the restraint in me to drive safely to my buddy's house in St Pete, Florida.

Cars were driving around honking and we had a picnic by the marina enjoying the wind and seeing a rare coterie of boats without Trump flags bobbing in the water.

Obama '08 was much more fun in college.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Judgment in Trump civil fraud case officially entered at $464 million

quote:

A clerk in New York has officially entered a more than $464 million fraud judgment against former President Donald Trump and top executives at his company — an amount that will grow by over $111,000 a day until it's paid.

The action starts the clock on the amount of time Trump has to file an appeal and to post a bond for the award. If he does not do so, the New York attorney general's office will be able to begin collection proceedings against Trump and his co-defendants in the civil fraud case.

The vast majority of the $464,576,230.62 judgment — $454,156,783.05 of it, to be exact — is against Trump and his companies. The rest of the judgment is against his sons Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, who've been running the Trump Organization since 2017, and former top executives Allen Weisselberg and Jeff McConney.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Wait wasn't it $364 million against Trump? Not that I'm complaining.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

With interest, wasn't it?

Caros
May 14, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It includes 9% simple interest dating back to 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

haveblue posted:

BORN TO GRIFT
lock em up 2024
I am indictment man

Hahahaha oh my God, beautiful

:perfect:

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Counted posted:

Takeaways I'm seeing:

4.) Looks pretty sketchy to me that they're trying to submit into the official record domething detailing where Wade frequents the most after so many threats and intimidation relating to this case. See: Fani's dad's testimony about all the people hanging out of her house and vandalizing it with racist threats.

So this is interesting.

The Stored Communication Act , 18 U.S.C. 2703, creates a statutory requirement for a search warrant in order to obtain contents of communications. The federal legislature came up with this law as a compromise recognizing two things. First, that the government can and will want this evidence in criminal prosecution, and second that there had been (at the time) a real argument that your data held by AT&T and other phone carriers is not personal, not private, and therefore not protected by the constitution.

Remember warrants exist to protect constitutional requirements. So if no constitutional protection is implicated, there's no need for a warrant.

The legislation created a compromise, by creating (1) a statutory requirement for a search warrant, and (2) waiving jurisdictional requirements for search warrant, so a search warrant from a Boise, ID superior court can be served on a San Francisco tech company. In exchange, (3) AT&T and the other big data companies get immunity from you suing their rear end for turning over your information. It's a crime (18 U.S.C. 2701) to access these records criminally, and it's a civil infraction for the company itself to disclose the contents of communications (18 U.S.C. 2702).

There are different rules for "records" as compared to "communications," and generally AT&T can do whatever they want with your "records," like selling your phone's mac address to facebook for marketing purposes. It's also appropriate for AT&T to respond to a subpoena in a civil suit for "records," think like you want to establish who owns the number your wife is texting her booty pics to, you can subpoena those "records," but you absolutely cannot subpoena "communications."

Interesting here is I've never seen "call/text history as well as specialized location data" treated as "records" for the purpose of this law. That's what the PI got from AT&T. I can't say I've seen those items treated as "communications" either. Maybe this PI has some case law that I'm not aware of, but I know for sure the government needs a search warrant to get location history for AT&T. I said "at the time" earlier in this post because in the mid-90s this was an open question. The Supreme Court has since ruled that your historic location data is constitutionally protected. It seems pretty wild to me that AT&T would give some random PI this data. But I'll confess that I don't have a lot of experience with civil subpoenas in this context; it may be routine for all I know.

Interesting interesting interesting.

Edit to put this into context, if this PI can get location history from AT&T by just asking, then so can you, and you can get it about anyone. Want to know where Biden's grand kids go to school? Want to know who Clarence Thomas is cheating on his Nazi wife with? Want to know where Musk is at any given second? Want to find that bully from highschool to put a dead fish in his mailbox? Want to know where your favorite GBS mod is so you can stand outside their bedroom window and watch them sleep? Just ask AT&T what their number is and where that phone is currently located.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 24, 2024

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Counted posted:

:yeeclaw:
"10,000 mules" but for an affair.
"see? they went NEAR things! and STUFF! NEAR!!"

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

InsertPotPun posted:

“What is within 40 miles of this celltower? No less than 3 separate Chilis restaurants. Chilis which I need not remind you is home of the ‘2 for $25’ special for date nights”

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

InsertPotPun posted:

It’s been over a decade, and Serial continues to leave a scar on the American psyche.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Question on seizing Trumps' (45 and sons) poo poo.

Trump is leveraged to hell and I know there are a lot of co-interests in a lot of these properties. How are seizures done when you don't know who owns what?

I'm basing this off my understanding that in the court case Trump was inflating value or saying there was value in his properties when in reality he had some partner or other interest that co-owner properties.

Does the government become top creditor (probably wrong terminology here) and get to take Trump's stuff first before other pre-existing creditors?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Xiahou Dun posted:

It’s been over a decade, and Serial continues to leave a scar on the American psyche.

What's this mean?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Donkringel posted:

Trump is leveraged to hell and I know there are a lot of co-interests in a lot of these properties. How are seizures done when you don't know who owns what?

They will start with liquid assets. Then assets owned entirely by Trump, or Trump Org, or Old Post Office LLC or whatever it's called. They'll get a lot from that alone, before getting to the more complicated assets.

quote:

Does the government become top creditor (probably wrong terminology here) and get to take Trump's stuff first before other pre-existing creditors?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Donkringel posted:

I'm basing this off my understanding that in the court case Trump was inflating value or saying there was value in his properties when in reality he had some partner or other interest that co-owner properties.

From what I understand: yes, the NY state government is first in line.

The shitshow of how they'll extract any net worth out of his properties (I assume that all of them are leveraged to the hilt) may require its own thread when the time comes.