Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
One of the craziest marketing things I've ever seen happened just over a decade ago. In a rare occurrence, in 2013 Chanukah and Thanksgiving shared a day. To celebrate this, Wal-Mart called it "Thanksgivukkah" and sold Turkeys with little yarmulkas. Something seems so obviously wrong about putting Jewish turkeys in the oven but apparently it was actually massively successful.

(I have been going through an old journal and came across this. I have been searching but I can't find any ads from that time that actually show the yarmulka turkeys but I'm certain I saw it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Were they even bothering to sell glatt turkeys at least?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

CJacobs posted:

It's just silly how accurate the soft lighting is in the astronaut photos

why do they pose astronauts like it's middle school photo day

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

At the very least they should get the stars and lasers background

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Brawnfire posted:

At the very least they should get the stars and lasers background

They do get to bring their dogs though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

why do they pose astronauts like it's middle school photo day

That picture was taken in 1992, they probably got the same guy that did your middle school photos

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

https://nypost.com/2024/02/26/business/wendys-planning-surge-prices-based-on-fluctuating-demand/

One of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Right up there with Quibi and the Juicero.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Chemtrailologist posted:

https://nypost.com/2024/02/26/business/wendys-planning-surge-prices-based-on-fluctuating-demand/

One of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Right up there with Quibi and the Juicero.

Where should I go for lunch? Hmm, how about the place that jacks up their prices during lunch?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
lol holy poo poo that's evil

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Probably banking on the "gently caress it, I'm already here and they're just charging a buck more when I'm already paying $12, fine whatever" response

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Evilreaver posted:

Where should I go for lunch? Hmm, how about the place that jacks up their prices during lunch?

Great, it means they'll be cheap since no one is going there anymore.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

First of May posted:

Great, it means they'll be cheap since no one is going there anymore.

What, you think they're going to lower their prices?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chemtrailologist posted:

I had to check that Eddie Lampert wasn’t behind this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

Wendy’s is the most expensive fast-food chain in the US after menu costs rose 35% due to inflation between 2022 and 2023, according to data from consumer transparency platform PriceListo.

lmao. Does "due to inflation" just mean "due to greed" anymore or did it always

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

CJacobs posted:

e: whoops, thought this was the "everything's getting shittier" thread, I don't wanna start a big derail. But to summarize, I agree with this.

Diet Poison has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Feb 27, 2024

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Diet Poison posted:

I don't know dick about economics but

Yes and no; usually it's sort of a

gently caress, just saw that you edited your post, so I'll edit mine. tldr it's not just greed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I read the elusive post! And yeah, I acknowledge there are more factors than just greed, it's just fun to take potshots. The good news is, this will help to promote healthy eating habits! :toot:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CJacobs posted:

I read the elusive post! And yeah, I acknowledge there are more factors than just greed, it's just fun to take potshots. The good news is, this will help to promote healthy eating habits! :toot:

Ron Howard voice: it did not.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
hasnt every single surge pricing thing that isnt ride sharing crashed and burned?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Chemtrailologist posted:

its always on an investor call this poo poo happens, its absolutely some kind of panic mode thing or nepo pet project

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"We're unveiling an exciting new dining experience! We call it the nickel and diming burger!"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

35% annual inflation, drat. The United States is apparently on par with Venezuela

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Nothing people love more than unpredictable prices for main meals! No one ever budgets a set amount per meal.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm launching an exciting new scheme where the amount I pay for a product or service is modified by a coefficient that measures my level of enthusiasm, general vibes, and the inclination of the spirits.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 12:59 on Feb 27, 2024

Isepic
May 7, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

I'm launching an exciting new scheme where the amount I pay for a product or service is modified by a coefficient that measures my level of enthusiasm, general vibes, and the inclination of the spirits.

But it's inversely proportional.
"Eh, let's do Junk Fast Food" - $25 for the meal
"Yay, I can't wait to go to Junk Fast Food, where all the food is affordable and tasty, and where all of my friends eat!" - $5 for the meal.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Chemtrailologist posted:

Someone who knows business better than me please explain how investing $20 million on fancy new digital menus isn't an "additional overhead cost"?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I believe your price should be lower for goods if you've interacted with their social media ads. The more bland corporate memes I repost to my friends the less I should pay for my bug nuggies

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DrBouvenstein posted:

Someone who knows business better than me please explain how investing $20 million on fancy new digital menus isn't an "additional overhead cost"?

No that doesn't count because that's an excuse to funnel corporate money into the pocket of whoever is developing that and who is probably a close friend or family member of someone on the board.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DrBouvenstein posted:

New menus is capital investment. Making peons change prices at set times of day is labor overhead.

There is a through line where they drop the surge part entirely and the whole time it was just a ploy to upgrade the menus with a capital investment.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

CJacobs posted:

Which is baffling, because at least where I'm at Wendy's has their bag meal for like, $3 cheaper than I can get a meal anywhere else. The rest of the menu is expensive, I guess? But I do occasionally miss working where I had options for buying lunch that were less than $10. Occasionally. Mostly when I don't remember how bad the food is.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PhazonLink posted:

hasnt every single surge pricing thing that isnt ride sharing crashed and burned?

Still works pretty well for hotels.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I could cautiously endorse surge pricing in the form of "if the store only has one of an item left the customers have to fight for it".

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I could cautiously endorse surge pricing in the form of "if the store only has one of an item left the customers have to fight for it".

Purge pricing

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

In France they call that a Battle Royale with cheese

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

I remember when a can of Surge was only 50 cents from the vending machine.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

I remember the Sam's Choice soda machine outside the Wal-Mart was only 25 cents in the mid yo late 90's.

Loved the Sam's Grape, no idea why I liked it more than "name brand" grape sodas. I'm sure if I had ANY grape soda now, let alone a Sam's Choice one, I'd find it sickeningly sweet and cloying.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The pandemic taking a sledgehammer to the global supply chain caused a hell of a lot of genuine inflation and other unfun economic words that still isn't fully back to a steady state. But yeah, it's mostly greed.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

My standard measurement for prices was the 55cent (Euro) 330ml can of soft drinks from the cava next to the board game shop when we were young.

It's up to 1 full euro at kiosks these days.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Byzantine posted:

The pandemic taking a sledgehammer to the global supply chain caused a hell of a lot of genuine inflation and other unfun economic words that still isn't fully back to a steady state. But yeah, it's mostly greed.

Yeah. I looked it up and annual inflation in the US in 2022 was 8%. Which is high by Western standards, but nowhere near 35%.

e: I realize that food prices were especially affected, but still, not to that extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Fast food in general basically tan with the pandemic to surge their prices because they realized their consumer base ain’t going anywhere