Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

PainterofCrap posted:

From what I understand: yes, the NY state government is first in line.

The shitshow of how they'll extract any net worth out of his properties (I assume that all of them are leveraged to the hilt) may require its own thread when the time comes.

Let's say he doesn't have remotely enough cash in the business to pay this fine. What happens next? James said she'll begin "collections" for that 464m + 111k/day interest, but what does that look like? If the court is running Trump Org's finances, why wouldn't/couldn't they just start firesaling its properties, starting with the ones with the highest value/debt ratios?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Lammasu posted:

What's this mean?

The vanguard of the true-crime podcast, Serial was a report by an amateur sleuth looking into the death of Hae Min Lee, whose ex-boyfriend Adnan Syed had been convicted of murdering based largely on cell tower evidence.

The podcast came down strongly in favor of Adnan's innocence, largely because of flawed and biased analyses

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Hae_Min_Lee

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

PainterofCrap posted:

The shitshow of how they'll extract any net worth out of his properties (I assume that all of them are leveraged to the hilt) may require its own thread when the time comes.

And what a thread that will be :lol:

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
If NY does seize Trump property, ironically they may later receive a windfall, by removing his name: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2024/02/report-trump-branded-nyc-real-estate-plummeted-in-value-since-2016/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The unraveling of Trump's real estate "empire" is the thing I'm most looking forward to over the next eight months, mostly because:

1) Most of the buildings with his name on them that he claims to "own" are actually mostly (or wholly) owned by other people, and he is merely renting out the use of his name, and
2) All of his remaining properties (that he actually does own) are being used for collateral to underwrite loans, so if he is forced to sell them off, he'll have to find some other way to collateralize those loans, or the loans will come due payable immediately, and
3) How much do you want to bet that some of those buildings have been used as collateral for multiple overlapping loans? The dismantling of Trump's properties will almost certainly reveal that his whole portfolio is riddled with all kinds of amazing fraud and misrepresentations (and those frauds will be almost comically obvious, like just tripling the square footage of his apartment), and probably more criminal charges will result

Also, we are currently in a down cycle for commercial real estate, so if he is forced to sell his properties, he'll get less than expected.

The whole thing is leveraged to the eyeballs and a house of cards set to collapse. I can't loving wait.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I believe about the only thing of actual "value" Trump owns without it being leveraged beyond profitability is the Trump Brand that he licenses out. Though I guess they could make some money installing wind farms on his golf courses.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I find it increasingly clear that he's not even trying to really win his cases conventionally anymore but to grievance grandstand and stall, betting everything on getting back into office and then making his problems go away along with what's left of American democracy. She wasn't a bad fit for that case, in that particular context.

There is no way to win any of his cases in a conventional manner. I'm pretty sure the Carroll case is the only one he even denies doing, every other case has both mountains of evidence and records of him admitting to doing it. His argument across the board is that he's being railroaded by various agencies for actions that he did perfectly. You can't run any sort of conventional defense for a 1000% guilty client who loves to go on national TV and brag about his crimes.

Which is the other load bearing beam of why Trump doesn't have competent lawyers, along with his history of not paying and being the absolute worst client. You can't pound the law or the facts, and every time you go to pound the table you find that your client has already burned that bitch to the ground.

Ynglaur posted:

Someone needs to post a website with a rolling counter like the national debt clock or something.

Also, Hitler's bunker would be a fine ending for Trump.

Unfortunately his hands are too small and weak.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
lol, Trumps filed for a stay in Carroll (1) but in his motion he says that because he’s so obviously wealthy enough to pay it out of hand that they should just stay it without the bond.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nysd.543790/gov.uscourts.nysd.543790.287.0.pdf

He’s broke.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

The vanguard of the true-crime podcast, Serial was a report by an amateur sleuth looking into the death of Hae Min Lee, whose ex-boyfriend Adnan Syed had been convicted of murdering based largely on cell tower evidence.

The podcast came down strongly in favor of Adnan's innocence, largely because of flawed and biased analyses

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Hae_Min_Lee

Wasn’t a Best Buy pay phone one of the plot points in an episode?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pillowpants posted:

Wasn’t a Best Buy pay phone one of the plot points in an episode?

It had a protracted thing about trying to trace movements by cellphone tower as part of the whole true crime amateur investigative thing.

Sorry, you’re always trying to thread that needle of being a good deep cut, but people still need to get it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Murgos posted:

lol, Trumps filed for a stay in Carroll (1) but in his motion he says that because he’s so obviously wealthy enough to pay it out of hand that they should just stay it without the bond.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nysd.543790/gov.uscourts.nysd.543790.287.0.pdf

He’s broke.

That's a...uhhhh...
bold strategy.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 24, 2024

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
My favorite part is that motion referring to him as "President Trump" throughout.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If every American just sent Trump $2 we could beat this thing...

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/ZcohenCNN/status/1761194694241853481
"it shows here that Willis was visiting a spa on that day, clearly she was relaxing before her date with Wade" - Trump's attorneys, probably

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Atlanta_spa_shootings

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

It's been a while, but want the pretext of the Veselnitskaya meeting that the Trump campaign was trying to buy hacked records from Clinton's email server?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Youth Decay posted:

https://twitter.com/ZcohenCNN/status/1761194694241853481
"it shows here that Willis was visiting a spa on that day, clearly she was relaxing before her date with Wade" - Trump's attorneys, probably

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Atlanta_spa_shootings

I just posted that exact same thing! How'd that random PI get that information?! Great minds and all that.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BigHead posted:

I just posted that exact same thing! How'd that random PI get that information?! Great minds and all that.

There are firms one can hire that specialize in getting it (or the equivalent.) Cops have to get a warrant.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

FMguru posted:

The unraveling of Trump's real estate "empire" is the thing I'm most looking forward to over the next eight months, mostly because:

1) Most of the buildings with his name on them that he claims to "own" are actually mostly (or wholly) owned by other people, and he is merely renting out the use of his name, and
2) All of his remaining properties (that he actually does own) are being used for collateral to underwrite loans, so if he is forced to sell them off, he'll have to find some other way to collateralize those loans, or the loans will come due payable immediately, and
3) How much do you want to bet that some of those buildings have been used as collateral for multiple overlapping loans? The dismantling of Trump's properties will almost certainly reveal that his whole portfolio is riddled with all kinds of amazing fraud and misrepresentations (and those frauds will be almost comically obvious, like just tripling the square footage of his apartment), and probably more criminal charges will result

Also, we are currently in a down cycle for commercial real estate, so if he is forced to sell his properties, he'll get less than expected.

The whole thing is leveraged to the eyeballs and a house of cards set to collapse. I can't loving wait.
Oh yeah, this part is going to be hilarious. You can practically guarantee there will be incredible new forms of fraud discovered that were previously thought impossible.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
There was a big uproar awhile back because telecoms were selling location data to bounty hunters and PIs, and all they needed was to have some general access to whatever database software they used. I know it started getting really sketchy because private citizens could get that info by just paying a PI a few hundred bucks.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There are firms one can hire that specialize in getting it (or the equivalent.) Cops have to get a warrant.
Pay the right IT people and they could probably tell you my/your/most people's exact sexual preferences from Internet history but it being a very specific kind of data is what we're hung up on I think.

Edit:

Meow Tse-tung posted:

There was a big uproar awhile back because telecoms were selling location data to bounty hunters and PIs, and all they needed was to have some general access to whatever database software they used. I know it started getting really sketchy because private citizens could get that info by just paying a PI a few hundred bucks.
This and see also John Oliver making some intentionally creepy references about this to Congress on his show IIRC

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 24, 2024

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
He's speaking at a black conservatives conference.

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ/status/1761214656687865928

He also brought up what a great actor Sidney Poitier is.
Its all so ridiculously cringy.

Acyn has more clips
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1761213226220757347

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Racists are SO loving BAD at acting like they're not. I am impressed by how terrible that was

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

The Islamic Shock posted:

Racists are SO loving BAD at acting like they're not. I am impressed by how terrible that was

It reminds me of watching that newly infamous clip of Raymond Arroyo and realizing that there is no depth suggested in the man's character beyond what you can see from him talking about black people

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

OgNar posted:

He's speaking at a black conservatives conference.

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ/status/1761214656687865928

He also brought up what a great actor Sidney Poitier is.
Its all so ridiculously cringy.

Acyn has more clips
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1761213226220757347

"I'm a criminal just like you, black people. We have much in common"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I would think the audience would feel insulted but, welp, here we are.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Look at a transcript of what he’s actually saying. It’s all mush. People insert what they want to hear into his weird pauses and misstatements and noise.

It’s like he’s able to directly access the meme center of the brain that turns off critical thought and automatically tries to forward it on.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BigHead posted:

Whoops! More crimes! I hope that PI has a good lawyer. I hope the AT&T employee who handed over the records does, too.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

bird food bathtub posted:

The audience is not actually comprised of black people.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1761403440230449487

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XntzroLn-3A

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

"I'm a criminal just like you, black people. We have much in common"

No, he's saying "I'm being unjustly persecuted by the judicial system just like black people, who feel a kinship with me because they get discriminated against by the system too".

You don't need to guess at what he's saying, the clip is literally right there.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

No, he's saying "I'm being unjustly persecuted by the judicial system just like black people, who feel a kinship with me because they get discriminated against by the system too".

You don't need to guess at what he's saying, the clip is literally right there.

Yes, he says that 'after' saying 'I've been indicted a third tie and a fourth time and a lot of people are saying' that is why black people like me'

A lot of people aren't even going to hear what comes after because saying it that way is beyond the loving pale.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
"I know that a lot of you people have been falsely arrested for decades of fraud and sedition, right? Let me hear you!"

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

If Trump appeals and ultimately loses those appeals, does the 9% interest accrue during the appeals process?

Even if it does, I'm pretty sure that Trump is going to appeal because simply paying up, even if cheaper in the longer run, seems like it would be more damaging to his campaign (and winning is his #1 priority). It's like admitting guilt to him because he did not fight it further and many people will see it that way and the media will report on it in that way.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Murgos posted:

Look at a transcript of what he’s actually saying. It’s all mush. People insert what they want to hear into his weird pauses and misstatements and noise.

It’s like he’s able to directly access the meme center of the brain that turns off critical thought and automatically tries to forward it on.

Trump has no values or beliefs himself beyond his own advancement. It's easy to impose ideologies on someone that has none.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

small butter posted:

If Trump appeals and ultimately loses those appeals, does the 9% interest accrue during the appeals process?

Even if it does, I'm pretty sure that Trump is going to appeal because simply paying up, even if cheaper in the longer run, seems like it would be more damaging to his campaign (and winning is his #1 priority). It's like admitting guilt to him because he did not fight it further and many people will see it that way and the media will report on it in that way.

I don’t think so because to appeal he has to post the amount as a bond (not sure I’m using the right words there). But basically to appeal my understanding is he has to pay. And so the interest wouldn’t be necessary cause, he paid to appeal. Interest is for not logging an appeal and not paying and just trying to pretend he wasn’t fined.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Caros posted:

Yes, he says that 'after' saying 'I've been indicted a third tie and a fourth time and a lot of people are saying' that is why black people like me'

A lot of people aren't even going to hear what comes after because saying it that way is beyond the loving pale.

The exact transcript of that clip is:

"and then I got indicted a second time, and then a third time, and then a fourth time! And a lot of people said, that that's why the black people like me because they had been hurt so badly and discriminated against, and they actually viewed me as I'm being discriminated against, it's been pretty amazing!"

It's bad enough as it is, we don't really need to deliberately clip it out of context to make it seem like he's saying something else.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Main Paineframe posted:

The exact transcript of that clip is:

"and then I got indicted a second time, and then a third time, and then a fourth time! And a lot of people said, that that's why the black people like me because they had been hurt so badly and discriminated against, and they actually viewed me as I'm being discriminated against, it's been pretty amazing!"

It's bad enough as it is, we don't really need to deliberately clip it out of context to make it seem like he's saying something else.
to be fair this is the first time i've heard it framed that way. since the 90th indictment it's been "trump struts down the street like a pimp while BBBBlack people shout "right on!" because they respect prison culture"

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Yiggy posted:

I don’t think so because to appeal he has to post the amount as a bond (not sure I’m using the right words there). But basically to appeal my understanding is he has to pay. And so the interest wouldn’t be necessary cause, he paid to appeal. Interest is for not logging an appeal and not paying and just trying to pretend he wasn’t fined.

I read that if Trump is able to get a bonding company to pay, he'd have to put up only 3% and collateral. 3% is nothing, but how does collateral work in this case? Does he simply pledge "I will give you this building if I can't pay"?

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
Toopin ain’t easy

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

small butter posted:

I read that if Trump is able to get a bonding company to pay, he'd have to put up only 3% and collateral. 3% is nothing, but how does collateral work in this case? Does he simply pledge "I will give you this building if I can't pay"?

Essentially yeah. He needs to persuade them that he is an acceptably low risk for them to be potentially on the hook for $355M. Spoiler alert: He is not an acceptably low risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Zero_Grade posted:

Oh yeah, this part is going to be hilarious. You can practically guarantee there will be incredible new forms of fraud discovered that were previously thought impossible.

The Trump Organization is the CERN of fraud.