Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It really is. Combat is not as good as they want it to be. I eventually removed the stamina cost and went forward from there. Puzzles are perfect.

It's so cool! I completely didn't realize that (spoilers for Tunic) ringing the bells had opened the golden door, which has the instruction page telling you how to activate pillars and warp points. So I got the hookshot-thing, cleared out the entire Atoll but didn't know what to do with the pillars, and then spent like an hour or two just wandering around trying to figure out what the gently caress I was supposed to do. Finally finding that page was such a great discovery moment, I love when games teach you that something is hiding in plain sight like that.

The combat is okay but not great, I got to the Librarian and he was kicking my rear end to the point where I think I need some more upgrades. So I just left and now I'm at the eastern vault. There were some nice upgrades on the way in but I'm still at 4 attack and defense and would love to bump those up

One thing I will say is that the combat roadblocks make finding upgrades feel REALLY exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

It's so cool! I completely didn't realize that (spoilers for Tunic) ringing the bells had opened the golden door, which has the instruction page telling you how to activate pillars and warp points. So I got the hookshot-thing, cleared out the entire Atoll but didn't know what to do with the pillars, and then spent like an hour or two just wandering around trying to figure out what the gently caress I was supposed to do. Finally finding that page was such a great discovery moment, I love when games teach you that something is hiding in plain sight like that.

The combat is okay but not great, I got to the Librarian and he was kicking my rear end to the point where I think I need some more upgrades. So I just left and now I'm at the eastern vault. There were some nice upgrades on the way in but I'm still at 4 attack and defense and would love to bump those up

One thing I will say is that the combat roadblocks make finding upgrades feel REALLY exciting.

They do. I think I was just getting worn out by it. One of the thing I feel a lot of Souls-clone games miss about Soulsborne games is the RPG element that lets you "grind". I mean you don't have to do that, but you do gain the ability to power yourself as you go about the game, but Tunic, just gives you upgrades that you have to find and are often gated themselves. It's a key element that makes the pattern-recognition gimmick better since you can actually take more hits, the more you die.

Tunic definitely gave me a few head-slap moments and solving puzzles was galaxy-tier mindblowing, I loved how the map was laid out too.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Huh. I went into the Switch save files screen
cause I wanted to delete demo savefiles both to try again the Pocket Jockey demo and also clear up some space and noticed I have a lot of savefiles with a ? icon.

Thing is, I think I know what it is: when I transferred my profile from my old Switch to the OLED, I had 2 other profiles, one for extra saves and one for the JP E-Shop, but they had no account linked and making them child accounts was a pain. Am I correct in assuming those ? savefiles are stuff from other profiles, or are they from programs I never redownloaded? There's a big one with 600 MB size.

One of them might be an Animal Crossing save file. For extremely normal reasons, Nintendo doesn't allow a normal save transfer for that game.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

I thought body harvest was dire when I got it for my eighth birthday in 1998

I still had lots of fun with it though because kids are dumb

When I was a kid I'd spend HOURS just flying around the first level with planes having used the gameshark to turn off the ability to lose due to human's being abducted and making up my own stories :allears:

I don't think I actually ever even got past the Russia level as a kid, I just enjoyed cruising around the world and stuff.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nintendo, I love you but I will not be satisfied until I can play Vigilante 8 online.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

They do. I think I was just getting worn out by it. One of the thing I feel a lot of Souls-clone games miss about Soulsborne games is the RPG element that lets you "grind". I mean you don't have to do that, but you do gain the ability to power yourself as you go about the game, but Tunic, just gives you upgrades that you have to find and are often gated themselves. It's a key element that makes the pattern-recognition gimmick better since you can actually take more hits, the more you die.

Tunic definitely gave me a few head-slap moments and solving puzzles was galaxy-tier mindblowing, I loved how the map was laid out too.

Yeah and I mean you're not alone, when I look up reviews, almost everyone mentions the combat as a weak point and I do agree it's probably the weakest part. But I do think one of the things that makes it so compelling is that it's not "just" a meta puzzle game, it's a totally committed action RPG that takes itself seriously, but you also happen to interact with it in a really novel and engaging way. I could totally picture renting this from Blockbuster in the 90s, and seeing someone post about it twenty years later and say "Oh yeah, Tunic, that was a neat little game!"

The map is cool too, and I like the magical realism bits like realizing you actually show up on the map, where it's not just a manual but also there's weird stuff going on there.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Pinterest Mom posted:

One of them might be an Animal Crossing save file. For extremely normal reasons, Nintendo doesn't allow a normal save transfer for that game.

Don't have Animal Crossing so can't be that. Maybe it's a cartridge game I haven't inserted in the console yet? Maybe I should try to grab all of them and insert them once and check back.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Weird Pumpkin posted:

When I was a kid I'd spend HOURS just flying around the first level with planes having used the gameshark to turn off the ability to lose due to human's being abducted and making up my own stories :allears:

I don't think I actually ever even got past the Russia level as a kid, I just enjoyed cruising around the world and stuff.

I got up to Java, spent a whole lot of time doing everything, had to get to the final boss and got softlocked on the way. Had to restart the whole level. Didn't turn it on after that :/

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
:siren:
https://x.com/Walmart/status/1760738760222814549?s=20
:siren:

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'll take three

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Did Peach wear them? If so I’ll take 10.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Finally, I can become Princess Peach.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Finally, I can become Princess Peach.

You could already do that, remember the Super Crown?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't, no. What was notable about it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I don't, no. What was notable about it?

It allowed Toadette to become Peachette and nothing else.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

ImpAtom posted:

It allowed Toadette to become Peachette and nothing else.

That's not how I remember it, but strangely all the details are very blurred when I try to call them to memory.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It was also part of that really popular meme

The one where you’d see the crown fall on a trash can and it would turn into a celeb you didn’t like

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

can I connect the dock to a laptop and use it as a monitor

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 24, 2024

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Steve Yun posted:

It was also part of that really popular meme

The one where you’d see the crown fall on a trash can and it would turn into a celeb you didn’t like

Is/was that a real thing?
My wife always brings up “memes” but then forgets I don’t have social media (beyond Bluesky which is still kinda fledgling) so she will send me something I don’t get. I also got the feeling I missed something about grapes in the last year or so.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

otter posted:

My wife always brings up “memes” but then forgets I don’t have social media (beyond Bluesky which is still kinda fledgling) so she will send me something I don’t get. I also got the feeling I missed something about grapes in the last year or so.

were the grapes polygonal?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

can I connect the dock to a laptop and use it as a monitor

does your laptop have hdmi in? most don’t

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

otter posted:

Just a heads up, being an active member of this forum is way worse than signing up for instagram/facebook/tiktok you are not better than her and are in fact worse hth

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Runa posted:

were the grapes polygonal?

They appear to be in parentheses most commonly.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

eightysixed posted:

Where would you go for getting a second dock without spending a load of money?
I'd like to be able to play on a TV in a different room, and moving the thing from a cased entertainment center is quite the task, and then I have to put it back, equally a tedious task, so I want to throw money at it without spending $100 or whatever it is.

Probably eBay, right?

I'll have to dig up the specific one I bought but it was like 20 to 30 bucks on Amazon, has all the ports needed

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

otter posted:

They did surgery on a (polygonal) grape

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

It seems the Nitro Deck got revised and quite quickly IMO.

https://crkd.gg/pages/ndplus

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
lol how they walked back that stupid NFT/crypto bullshit:

quote:

The True Collection System (TCS) is in no way affiliated with NFTs or Cryptocurrency.

Each CRKD product connects to our "TCS", a mobile app where digital proof of physical ownership is established. Here you can tap a mobile device to the CRKD product to reveal the product number and rarity rank associated with it, then register it to your secure CRKD collection.

You can not sell this digital asset, it is bound to the physical product. Meaning if you want to trade your collectible, you will need to remove it from your collection to allow someone else to physically tap it into their collection.

You do not need to interact with our True Collection System to be able to use our products, it's an optional experience we have built to the CRKD ecosystem.

I bought an insanely cheap version of the Nitro Deck from some no-name Chinese company and it works for me, OP.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The button layout on the nitro deck looks atrocious and the good YouTubers who review accessories keep saying it's atrocious

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I actually want to play Haunted House more than Switch 2.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The button layout on the nitro deck looks atrocious and the good YouTubers who review accessories keep saying it's atrocious

I disagree. The only issues with it I have are the wrist angle, weight, and the weird bright light on the Home button that turns on seemingly at random even in the middle of the night.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The wrist angle seems very important!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

eightysixed posted:

Where would you go for getting a second dock without spending a load of money?
I'd like to be able to play on a TV in a different room, and moving the thing from a cased entertainment center is quite the task, and then I have to put it back, equally a tedious task, so I want to throw money at it without spending $100 or whatever it is.

Probably eBay, right?

This is what I have hooked up to the TV in my bedroom, you'll still need a dedicated power source and HDMI if you only want to be moving the Switch but it works well and is also super portable if you want to take your setup to a friend's house, hotel, whatever

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The wrist angle seems very important!

It is! I can't play it unless it's resting on something like a pillow on my lap.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

This is what I have hooked up to the TV in my bedroom, you'll still need a dedicated power source and HDMI if you only want to be moving the Switch but it works well and is also super portable if you want to take your setup to a friend's house, hotel, whatever
Holy poo poo, thank you!
I'm going to go down this path :cheers:

edit: Ordered.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

I disagree. The only issues with it I have are the wrist angle, weight, and the weird bright light on the Home button that turns on seemingly at random even in the middle of the night.

I have the GameCube one and I've gotten very used to it. It's a big brick of thing but I have big hands so it's finally comfortable

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
man the wait for new endless ocean is gonna be tough

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Inzombiac posted:

That's the kind of thing that would make my wife freak out. She can't handle anything lighting up. My phone charger had to get painted over so the little tiny LEDs wouldn't be visible. Thankfully, I leave my switch in my office when I go to bed, and I never have to hear it. I have told her, "The light wouldn't be an issue if you closed your eyes when you sleep" and she haaaates that.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
when do you have time to paint over every LED if you're also busy making sure the volume on everything is set to zero?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

buy her a sensory deprivation isolation pod to sleep in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

leave your nerd poo poo charging outside