Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
gotta love euroean solidarity

https://x.com/united24media/status/1761035293430317417?s=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

V. Illych L. posted:

the 2013 moscow mayoral elections are a matter of public record. for the rest, the russian state bothered to first poison and then imprison him in a maximum-security installation, which imo indicates that he was being annoying to some important people.

did you just search him on Wikipedia?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
The funniest rumor about Navalny was that he got conscripted from prison and was fighting in Bakhmut.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://vk.com/wall-193292889_23794

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: BBC

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68387232

Ukraine says it has downed second Russian A-50 spy plane in weeks
By Phelan Chatterjee
Published 2 hours ago

Ukraine says it has downed a Russian A-50 military spy plane - the second such claim in just over a month.

The plane was hit between the Russian cities of Rostov-on-Don and Krasnodar, Ukrainian military sources said, over 200km (124 miles) from the front line.

Emergency services reportedly found plane fragments in Kanevskoy district and put out a raging fire.

Russia has not commented on the claim. Saturday marks two years since Russia launched a full-scale invasion....

... Video shared online shows the moment the plane appears to be shot down in the air, as well as huge flames and thick, dark smoke seemingly rising after the crash.

Krasnodar's emergency authorities later said an aircraft had crashed near the Trudovaya Armenia village, Kanevskoy district, and a fire was later extinguished. It provided no further details.

Meanwhile, at least one Russian military-aligned Telegram channel suggested the plane may have come down as a result of friendly fire. Fighterbomber wrote: "At the moment it is unknown who shot it down."

Ukraine last claimed to have shot down an A-50 on 14 January...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Considering Russia has all this massive industrial output the "hey look we got one! we got one!" hoots and hollers are thin on the ground.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Given the apotheosis of Bandera and friends by the Ukrainian government and public figures, it's not really shocking the Poles are not fans.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Well this is the problem, because if it were me, I would arrange for a NATO AWACs or Rivet Joint to crash on takeoff from Rammstien or whatever, and for mysterious NATO saboteurs to blow up their own LNG terminal to show they could blow up a Russian LNG terminal if they wanted to, but I guess cooler heads are prevailing?

To be perfectly honest I've been wondering why so little of that has been going on. It's not because of heavy security, we know that much considering how wide open a ton of key critical infrastructure is. You could ping it on almost anyone.

Then again a dish served cold perhaps.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

Considering Russia has all this massive industrial output the "hey look we got one! we got one!" hoots and hollers are thin on the ground.

i don't think they can just pump these things out like artillery shells.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

i don't think they can just pump these things out like artillery shells.

Ah but they can make them. Which practically none of our nations can. If Australia loses an AWACS it's just gone. I guess they can order another one from Boeing for delivery in several years time, after the budget white paper approval blah blah chain see you in 10 years.

Had to look it up quickly. 6. That's how many Australia has. All irreplacable domestically but that's also true of any aircraft that isn't light passenger running on props.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 06:26 on Feb 24, 2024

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/upholdreality/status/1760821986035417276

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

the 2013 moscow mayoral elections are a matter of public record. for the rest, the russian state bothered to first poison and then imprison him in a maximum-security installation, which imo indicates that he was being annoying to some important people.

every time he was involved in a nationwide election his party got like 5% of the vote at best, which might be a better indicator of his actual popularity than hyperfocusing on one low-turnout election somewhere that was as demographically favorable to navalny as possible

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

We should all remember the important part here.

Navalny won an Oscar and Zelenskyi didn't.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Russia finished 4 of those supersonic bombers this week, Putin even flew on one.

They could make new AWACs, but they really should extract some sort of toll for losing theirs. Js.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't know Mike Stoklasa had a cousin who was into NAFO stuff.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PawParole posted:

https://twitter.com/BMarchetich/status/1760683859996471769

So despite what Azovites and Nafoids say the majority has *always* favoured a diplomatic solution, and the majority is only getting larger? That drives rather a large hole in the narrative, doesn't it?!

It's almost as though the fraction of the population who think they have a shot at winning is dying off.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

super sweet best pal posted:

It's almost as though the fraction of the population who think they have a shot at winning is dying off.

Literally even.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The British army still had 10 million shells left over after WWI

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

The British army still had 10 million shells left over after WWI

In 1917 Britain was producing 50 million shells per year.

In 2020 Britain was producing 100 thousand shells per year.

The people in charge think they still have the former to work with rather than the latter.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-02-24/war-in-ukraine-europe-s-east-is-losing-faith-in-west-over-arms

Europe’s East Is Losing Faith in Its West Over Arming Ukraine

quote:

...The mood in diplomatic circles is that should Russia ultimately win its war in Ukraine, Western Europe will not be forgiven and the whole European integration project since the fall of the Berlin Wall could be jeopardized as that rift becomes an indelible scar.

Governments in the west don’t understand that many in the east would never trust them again, one top European official said, declining to be identified when discussing politics and security.[....]

France, for one, argues that funding should mainly be spent on boosting the European defense industry for the longer term, what Macron last week called the “determined rearmament effort.”[....]

“We cannot have half measures, we cannot be foot-dragging on this,” [Lithuanian Foreign Minister Gabrielius Landsbergis] told reporters ahead of a ministerial meeting in Brussels this week. “This is the understanding in most of the Nordics and Baltics. This is the understanding in most of the eastern flank, those who are in direct threat themselves. If Ukraine falls — we need to understand — we’ll be next.”[....]

Frustration among Eastern European leaders is growing because the west doesn’t seem to get the urgency, another official said. In one example, France — along with Greece and Cyprus — has argued against using EU funds to buy from NATO ally Turkey, according to several officials familiar with the matter, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

That’s despite the EU’s top diplomat, Josep Borrell, telling reporters on Monday that ammunition could be purchased on the international market. “If someone can supply it to you faster, cheaper, or more conveniently, there is no limitation,” he said. South Korea is another potential source of artillery, one of the officials said.[....]

If failure to step up arms shipments leads to a Russian victory, one European official said, their country wouldn’t purchase military hardware from France. Instead, they would buy from the US — even if Donald Trump is president again — the UK and Nordic nations, and choose them and what remains of Ukraine as more trustworthy allies, the person said.[....]

For Landsbergis, the Lithuanian foreign minister, it’s a question of everyone working together — both east and west — and there are things that Europe could do to speed support for Ukraine.

“We could divert all the production that we have in the continent towards the military needs of Ukraine, we could pull up the resources so that we could be able to purchase even outside for the vital things that are needed in Ukraine such as ammunition if we’re unable to produce it ourselves,” he told Bloomberg in New York on Friday. “But the thing is that we cannot agree on that either.”

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
me sowing:
me reaping:

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Pistol_Pete posted:

From the FT:

Democracy is now hereditary: who knew it!

in one of the later season of 24, the one that takes place in NY, after the president of Madeupistan* is assassinated on US soil during a diplomatic visit, the obvious Hillary Clinton expy then asks the (imho beautiful, but not the point right now) widow of said president to assume his role on signing some bullshit peace treaty or whatever. Back then I thought "oh come on that's bullshit, that's not how representative democracy work, it's not hereditary" but then 15 years later I'm proven that this is actually how liberals think the world works.

* the actor went on to play Indian Jack Bauer in their remake of the show for Indian audiences.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
So in the 24 universe dying sends you to a reality where you're the protagonist of the secret agent story

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Calibaneur/status/1761274595867291888?t=GhW-MqBQjBWOKAnWBA2g8Q&s=19

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Neurolimal posted:

So in the 24 universe dying sends you to a reality where you're the protagonist of the secret agent story

yes, 24 actually pioneered Isekai

dk2m
May 6, 2009

articles like this make me even more mad when Asian countries are told they have to staunchly pick sides into a pointless conflict. seems absurd sanctioning India when Europe can’t even muster enough political power to save their own union and are actively undermining their own future

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lmfao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

average european trying to sell the war

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxhn43IZ5RI&t=181s

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I was going through some old random photos on my hard drive I'd saved over the years, and came across one that struck me as oddly relevant to this whole war.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Until the 1980s, American historians assumed that the Soviet Union had exaggerated their death toll in World War II, because it seemed inconceivable that a country could keep fighting after 20 million people were killed. After glasnost made it possible to examine the Soviet censuses, they learned that the Soviets had actually downplayed the death toll of World War II, and the actual number was around 27 million Soviet citizens. Going by modern borders, Russia and Ukraine had the most and second-most deaths of any European country in World War II. (The country with the most casualties was China)

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1761345228496064776

Seems fine

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

I'm not allowed to see that

Whats it say?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm not allowed to see that

Whats it say?

Ukraine can deploy F-16s to attack deep inside Russia – NATO

Kiev will be able to use the fighter jets outside its claimed borders, the bloc’s head has said

Ukraine will be free to use F-16 fighter jets it will receive from NATO against military targets 'inside Russia,' or beyond Kiev's claimed borders, the US-led bloc's Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has told American state-run media.

Stoltenberg was speaking to RFE/RL for an interview scheduled to air on Friday. According to snippets released in advance, the NATO head has argued that Ukraine has the right to self-defense against Russian “aggression,” which would include “striking legitimate Russian military targets outside Ukraine.”

As to when the government in Kiev might actually receive the promised jets, Stoltenberg would not say. Each NATO member that has pledged to deliver F-16s has different policies and will decide themselves, he explained.

While some of Ukraine’s backers want the jets in action as soon as possible, they will have a stronger impact if the pilots are well-trained and there are enough maintenance and support crews on hand, according to Stoltenberg.

“So, I think we have to listen to the military experts exactly when we will be ready to or when allies will be ready to start sending and delivering the F-16s,” he said. “The sooner the better.”

Ukraine has long demanded the F-16 as a way to combat Russian air superiority. Denmark and the Netherlands have both pledged to contribute some of their jets, with President Vladimir Zelensky putting the total number at 42. The first Ukrainian pilots training in the West finished their classes in the UK in December.

The way the US-made jet is designed means it might have difficulties operating from Ukrainian runways, sparking speculation that they could be flown from Poland, Romania or the Baltic states instead.

Russia has repeatedly warned such a deployment would be an escalation of the conflict and may even risk nuclear war, as the F-16 is capable of delivering B61 gravity bombs.

“So, if one of those planes takes off from a NATO nation – what would that be? An attack on Russia. I shall not describe what could happen next,” Dmitry Medvedev, former Russian president and deputy head of Russia’s National Security Council, said in an interview on Thursday.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Thank you. And oh dear. They really are going to push this to the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

Thank you. And oh dear. They really are going to push this to the edge.