Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
You spend at least one arc of Yggdra Union as a villain; in the normal ending you eventually knock it off, but the ending where you gently caress things up for everyone and start a massive war for no reason is the canon ending that leads into Riviera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

ImpAtom posted:

I am pretty sure the game where you beat up Satan to free humanity from his evil yolk is the one where you're the hero.

Satan is one bad egg, huh.

Considering that the main character of LoS2 hunted and murdered humans for centuries and also killed his own flesh and blood once, I still think LoS2 is a good fit for the question.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Einander posted:

Really? From what I remember, once you get to chapter 4, the final chapter's plot is basically all the same outside of which recruits you can get. PSP onward does have Ravness and Ozma helping with racial reconciliation/Lodis in Law, but in exchange half the Shamans are dead, so it feels like kind of a wash with regards to a "golden ending." It's been a while since I've actually paid attention to any version of chapter 4 other than Law, though, so it's entirely possible that I'm forgetting things.

Law is the only route where Vyce is recruitable and actively helps you.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tequila Bob posted:

We should also mention Breath of Fire IV - you definitely spend more time playing as the villain in that game, compared to most other JRPGs.

Fou Lu did nothing wrong.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Clarste posted:

Fou Lu did nothing wrong.

Yuna is definitely the villain in that one, yeah

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

GateOfD posted:

what are some jrpgs where your actually the bad guy?

You could reasonably argue that you play an evil party for most of Tales of Berseria.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Velvet did a few things wrong.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Failboattootoot posted:

You could reasonably argue that you play an evil party for most of Tales of Berseria.

I guess maybe for the first 3 hours or so but after that it becomes an increasingly bigger stretch

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
there's that snes jrgp where you alternate between playing the hero and the villain in chapters and the villain can just melt npcs for currency or xp or smth

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Shining Resonance Refrain and Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force both have paths where you recruit the villain characters.

No one asked for GOOD games where you play the villain...

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

there's that snes jrgp where you alternate between playing the hero and the villain in chapters and the villain can just melt npcs for currency or xp or smth

Dark Half. It's kinda rough around the edges, but an interesting experience.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tequila Bob posted:

Satan is one bad egg, huh.

Considering that the main character of LoS2 hunted and murdered humans for centuries and also killed his own flesh and blood once, I still think LoS2 is a good fit for the question.

The dude spends the majority of the game trying to find a way to kill himself because he hates being forced into that. Really a stretch to say you are playing as the villain instead of 'was a villain in backstory'

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Rascyc posted:

Big Fou Lou fan from BoF4 on the playing bad guys part. Too bad it's only for a few sections but I thought it was neat.

The antagonists thoroughly tried to piss off Fou Lou in increasingly worse ways throughout the game too, I don’t blame him

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

ImpAtom posted:

The dude spends the majority of the game trying to find a way to kill himself because he hates being forced into that. Really a stretch to say you are playing as the villain instead of 'was a villain in backstory'

Oh, I'd for sure agree that "was a villain in a backstory" is a more accurate description of the hero of LoS2. Just as "will be a villain after the game" is a better description for The Knight of Lodis and DQM: The Dark Prince and MGSV and LoS1.

It seems like a pretty rare thing for a JRPG to just straight up let you do villain things in-game. Of all the titles mentioned, only the Ogre Battle series, Soul Nomad, and BoFIV come to mind, and in each of those cases it's up to the player to choose that path.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

GateOfD posted:

what are some jrpgs where your actually the bad guy?

KOTOR1?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
In The Caligula Effect: Overdose you can join up with the villain team for sections and fight against the main party members.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Xenoblade 2 endgame: The last four chapters of this game is a straight line made of enclosed rooms, making it really obnoxious where you aggro a bonus boss when you just want to open a loving door.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 24, 2024

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shoutouts to the bad ending of Tales of Xillia 2 that lets you murder the party.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Phantasium posted:

Shoutouts to the bad ending of Tales of Xillia 2 that lets you murder the party.

As someone who's played Tales of Xillia 2, I'd debate against any ending where you get to kill the party being the bad one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kurohyou opening with tatsuya punching his friends for not wanting to rob a loan shark and then chapter 4 having a sub story where he lectures a teenager on how he shouldn't steal and should get a normal job and make his mom happy is so funny

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Can't believe everyone here is forgetting the game where you play as the greatest villain('s unwilling host), Okage.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Mr. Locke posted:

As someone who's played Tales of Xillia 2, I'd debate against any ending where you get to kill the party being the bad one.

Those alternate realities had it coming

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

fez_machine posted:

I think being evil just isn't a selling point for most people with an RPG, even Tyranny didn't sell and evil routes are far more plentiful in the west

yeah but Tyranny was bad

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Deception series probably counts here.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Caidin posted:

Those alternate realities had it coming

If alternate realities count, arguably the Star Ocean 4 protag is the greatest playable war criminal in JRPGs.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think being a villain is more about vibes than it is about ethics. For example I'd definitely characterize, say, Edelgard's route in Fire Emblem: Three Houses as "playing as the villain;" the fact that she is (famously) right pales in comparison to the indisputable charges of using dark magic and wearing red.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

nrook posted:

I think being a villain is more about vibes than it is about ethics. For example I'd definitely characterize, say, Edelgard's route in Fire Emblem: Three Houses as "playing as the villain;" the fact that she is (famously) right pales in comparison to the indisputable charges of using dark magic and wearing red.

Perhaps most Fire Emblem games let you play as the villain since you (usually) work in service of restoring a monarchy...........

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this conversation is rapidly becoming the villain, in that i want to use meteor on it and watch 9999 damage pop out

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The nature of humanity is just that every so often somebody starts Edelgard discourse all over again, even when completely unrelated.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The nature of humanity is just that every so often somebody starts Edelgard discourse all over again, even when completely unrelated.

Humanity is inevitably drawn to Edelgard discourse, causing endless pain and strife, therefore to stop Edelgard discourse existence must end...

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

who's Edelgard?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

not much what's edelgard with you

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Reaching a zen state where you realize both sides of that discourse are full of insane people.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
look don’t blame me, it’s a good example. I even specifically tried to define it in a way orthogonal to the normal axis of 3h discourse

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Brief as it was, Live a Live handled the playable villain trope well.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
incredibly funny how chapter 4 of kurohyou is a double whammy of the guy tatsuya killed isn't actually dead and the guy whose spine tatsuya broke didn't actually have his spine broken by tatsuya and he spent all his time in the hospital trying to convince everyone tatsuya was a just and honorable fighter

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tatsuya in opening of kurohyou: *punches his friends because they won't help him rob a loan shark, makes fun of chinese people, seemingly murders a guy*

tatsuya in every part of kurohyou after opening: I'm sorry old man. I misunderstood you. Through our battle I have come to understand the trials other people face and respect them more as my equal. Now I need to pump this guy for information... by helping him win at the UFO Catcher

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i love the sub story where he battles his old student council president, who reveals he has been putting on a mask and going out to ruthlessly beat the poo poo out of delinquents so they can't come to school and thus school can be a better place, and tatsuya goes "that poo poo's just wrong... you should stay in school and fight honorably, not from the shadows. there are people who care about you. don't disappoint them!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It would ruin the humor of people who should be criminals going out in doing community service, climbing up people's houses and washing their windows for them, stocking shelves, making lunches for construction workers, helping old people across the street, etc but I really want them to just get a Kamen Rider license so you can just be a decent vigilante helping people out from the onset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would pay an absolutely unreasonable amount of money for Like A Dragon: Kamen Rider W.

Just set it in Fuuto and you go around having weird sidequests that inevitably end up with someone turning into a goofy monster you beat up, you can unlock different forms and swap them in battle, it can go from gritty and hardboiled to goofy on a whim.