Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I mean original E7 is good regardless of sequels and Captain Earth is easily offset by Space Dandy and ConRevo around that same time. Even got Sk8 and Godzilla SP for recent ones.

They probably have missed more than hit but there are pretty regular bright spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

haypliss posted:

I mean original E7 is good regardless of sequels
i liked ao more than the original e7

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pros: it was shorter

cons: no anemone

evens out

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd say Godzilla SP is more an adaptation than an original even if it's wildly different than the source.

While I don't think Rouge is gonna live up to the hype I'd probably be more kind if we get Rouge/Naomi back working together pretty quickly. I like their chemistry and if the show keeps them apart till the end than you better bet I'm gonna focus on the flaws it has more

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I loved the first 3 episodes of eureka seven and very quickly got very bored in the following few episodes, then stopped watching

That was years ago though, maybe it'd be more my speed nowadays.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

metallic rouge is one of the best bones originals ever made because the women have lines, and ive yet to see hillary clinton

What?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
everyone remembers the controversial finale of Heroman that takes place in Benghazi

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

One of the antagonists looked a lot like Hillary iirc

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:catdrugs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUT_mz1CVVQ

quote:

the Night of the Living Cat manga is inspiring a television anime adaptation in 2025.A virus spreads across the world, transforming all humankind into wild, slavering, furry beasts: cats, to be precise. Those few survivors who remain human take refuge in the dark corners of the earth as they fight back against the feline horde.

why fight it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tuesday's mom was running for space president in Carol and Tuesday

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my hero academia season 1 was weirdly obsessed with having brief flashbacks to the previous episode in every single episode. like not a "here's what happened last time on my hero academia" thing they just added a scene in every single episode where someone would flash back to previous episodes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway i think mars daybreak is a good bones original so i'm erring on the path of bones originals are decent as long as they have any kind of sense of humor, the entire reason mars daybreak was cool was because it knew it was pretty good at episodic stuff and weirder jokes based around the relationships of the cast so it never really gets bogged down in any attempts at heavier drama or anything it maintains a steady pace as a dumb mars pirate adventure with robots where there's an evil rival pirate guy who keeps making gay sex jokes at the main character for some reason

conrevo was also cool but it's hard for shou aikawa to write something boring. even if he writes something bad it's still usually kinda cool or funny. neo ranga season 2 is one of the most hypnotically weird seasons of tv i've ever watched

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 22, 2024

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Neo Ranga is the one with the giant stone god and the incest subplot right? That was some weird television.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
neo ranga is really good for the first season. then the second season has some cool episodes until shou aikawa runs out of ideas at the end and the evil comedy pedophile who was part of the evil ultranationalist cabal who wanted to use space alien god powers to force all foreigners out of japan and reform it back into an empire gets treated as a tragic figure and it just sort of ends on the main character saying "i think we should go into space and kill god"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
otoh season 2 has an episode about the dumb friend boy getting brainwashed into joining a ww2-style japanese nationalist youth group who keep throwing trash at the sisters' home and when the main character goes to confront him about it he says "i have taken control of my home and my school."

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

space dandy, concrete revolutio, star driver, and darker than black are all very good. sword of the stranger too if movies count. sk8 and rahxephon and wolfs rain are cool too. i dont think they've hit or missed significantly more or less than anyone else?

im not caught up with metallic rouge but im fond of a lot of the second-tier 00s originals that people were rightly comparing it to at the start, the gonzo shows and such.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It actually reminds me a lot of Wolf's Rain, except not as soul crushingly grim as that show ended up being.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Rahxephon was a remake.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everyone forgets Kurau Phantom Memory....

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Everyone forgets Kurau Phantom Memory....

i didn't forget it, it's just kinda dull. metallic rouge seems definitely better than that one

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lies

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The actual plot of Metallic Rouge is about what I came for, the problem I'm having with it is that Rouge is being insanely slow to get on board it, especially against how fast and hard it's actually going. You can't throw all this intrigue at the wall for 7 straight episodes, a good amount directly into the protagonist's face, and have her still in the "but... but you're evil?" phase.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I thought Rouge and Naomi had great chemistry and I'd like to see em back teamed up soon like someone said above, but I'm on for the rest of this ride almost however it goes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone not watching Bravern should fix that and start watching Bravern yesterday. My God this loving show.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Watching how people interact with Yogiri in Sokushi Cheat etc. is like watching a large army march up to an indestructible hornet's nest with everyone having an uncontrollable urge to gently caress it

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't believe CIA Bob tried to Bravern spoiler waterboard a robot

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bravern keeps going where no one's gone before.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The weird thing is that after the most recent episode of Metallic Rouge I think I'm a little bit more confident it will have A conclusion and not just turn into a weird pile of loose threads, but at the same time I do not believe at this rate the series will be particularly "resolved", much less satisfactorily.

Caphi posted:

The actual plot of Metallic Rouge is about what I came for, the problem I'm having with it is that Rouge is being insanely slow to get on board it, especially against how fast and hard it's actually going. You can't throw all this intrigue at the wall for 7 straight episodes, a good amount directly into the protagonist's face, and have her still in the "but... but you're evil?" phase.

This very much. I honestly think Rouge is the weakest part of the show. Naomi is cool, Rouge's interplay with Naomi is cool, but it's hard to ignore that a show dripping with intrigue and fascinating characters and an incredibly wild setting is burdened by this albatross of a protagonist who comes across as not only dense and unaware but weirdly incurious. And some of that is deliberate given Rouge spent the first couple of episodes as an audience surrogate to have details of the incredibly dense setting explained to her AND there's been a whole rolling plot line revolving around weirdness related to her mission and her history and her memories, but despite all that the show hasn't really gone anywhere. We are long past the point where Rouge should be asking what the hell is actually going on here and she just... Hasn't.

Another point of concern for me is that I have seen shows that this kind of rolling nested mysteries, and the good ones actually start tying things off as the story goes on. The fact Metallic Rouge just keeps on convoluted things is not a reassuring sign.

Meanwhile, Bravern somehow continues its unbelievable balancing act. It's amazing how well the show holds together despite hard shifting between genres every couple of minutes.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Metallic Rouge is fine. A perfectly cromulent C+. On the tier of weird BONES poo poo, it's somewhere between The Skull Man and Towa no Quon

Catching up w Bravern and not the giant boom mic.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
never say cromulent again

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Say Cromartie

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Cromulent these nuts

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/TheGreatSurf/status/1760559906393116897?t=V9nrgpNL4s8zGztP4j4y2Q&s=19

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

The Colonel posted:

Bosom

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

It's egregious

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ok, just saw a clip from Metallic Rouge where a lady solved murder by randomly punching people (and kicking a dog), I guess I will have to watch it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I do not condone dog kicking and so I will choose not to watch metallic rouge

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sb hermit posted:

I do not condone dog kicking and so I will choose not to watch metallic rouge

Speaking as a certified dog lover, it was a deeply upsetting dog worthy of being kicked.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

Speaking as a certified dog lover, it was a deeply upsetting dog worthy of being kicked.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I guess that will be one anime that I won't be watching with my dog.