Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/JustR_02/status/1760776047748915478

https://twitter.com/JustR_02/status/1760780834166980798?=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Between the whole “signing the grant of rights” thing and then having a leaked PowerPoint that ironically uses “Newco” to describe a vehicle for selling off FSU’s marketing rights to a private equity firm in order to get out of said grant of rights, I get the sense that FSU is run pretty poorly

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

General Dog posted:

I don’t think it’s been released on PC in like 30 years

I don't think it ever got a PC release. However, since Madden 19 EA sports has released the game on PC and FIFA/EA FC have been released on PC as well which makes me think it could get a PC release since its just leaving money on the table.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dango Bango posted:

"Generic white guy" is amorphous enough to get away with it. It's not like they had heights, weights, hometowns, etc. that made it clear who it was supposed to be.

Having just set up a dynasty yesterday, there were only like six heads to pick from

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

soggybagel posted:

I don't think it ever got a PC release. However, since Madden 19 EA sports has released the game on PC and FIFA/EA FC have been released on PC as well which makes me think it could get a PC release since its just leaving money on the table.

Especially because the Xbox to PC port is really minimal in terms of overall programming effort.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

General Dog posted:

Famously, Kevin Millar was absent from MVP Baseball 2005, replaced with the fictional "Anthony Friese".

Millar was one of the players who crossed the picket line in the '94 strike and thus was barred from joining the MLBPA. As opposed to Bonds, who opted out of their collective licensing agreement.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Adun posted:

Between the whole “signing the grant of rights” thing and then having a leaked PowerPoint that ironically uses “Newco” to describe a vehicle for selling off FSU’s marketing rights to a private equity firm in order to get out of said grant of rights, I get the sense that FSU is run pretty poorly

I still really hope those idiots don't open the door to private equity in college sports -- if a program is considering it they're likely over leveraged and IDK how they'll handle the way PE ensure they get theirs. It's not a viable long term strategy and would likely represent a program signing their own death certificate.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

TV contracts are protected trade secrets, lawyers credulously threaten

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Neil Armbong posted:

I still really hope those idiots don't open the door to private equity in college sports -- if a program is considering it they're likely over leveraged and IDK how they'll handle the way PE ensure they get theirs. It's not a viable long term strategy and would likely represent a program signing their own death certificate.

Formerly indestructible brand names becoming hollowed-out shells of their former selves would be all too relatable for the college football audience.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1761137043126857916?s=46

:yeshaha:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Texas is just gonna start giving recruits their own oil derricks

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Pat Forde punching air right now

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

single-mode fiber posted:

Formerly indestructible brand names becoming hollowed-out shells of their former selves would be all too relatable for the college football audience.

Sports Illustrated for example

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
mods are asleep, post nil deals and they can't do anything

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Michigan gets: Player

Player gets: Michigan scholarship, lots of money, lifetime free food at Zingerman’s Deli, also a series of elaborate bejeweled ancient daggers

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
lol ncaa, vols bitch

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Gonz posted:

Player gets: Michigan scholarship, lots of money, lifetime free food at Zingerman’s Deli, also a series of elaborate bejeweled ancient daggers

zingermans is overrated

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Gonz posted:

shhhh don't tempt fate, Michigan's harbaugh-induced portal opening closes today

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Will Wade is pissed

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Radia posted:

zingermans is overrated
They source a lot of pricey poo poo that nobody really need sure. But tell me who makes a reuben better than zingermans in the area so I can scoff at what you say.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
College athletic administrators killing the illusion of amateur athletics, their golden goose, is so on brand for that collection of idiots.

I can’t wait to see where this sport is in 5 years and the hilarious poo poo that’s going to pop up on the road to this just being a semi-pro league. We’ll have schools/collectives spending like crazy to make sure they make it onto the life raft. We’ll have transfer shenanigans like tampering with your rival’s QB before the game. It’s gonna be so hilarious and so dirty

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
And none of its really new! OK the transfer stuff is kinda new, but the payment of players is just in the open now, not under the table.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

This doesn’t seem to functionally change much from how NIL has operated in practice for the last few years

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

augias posted:

They source a lot of pricey poo poo that nobody really need sure. But tell me who makes a reuben better than zingermans in the area so I can scoff at what you say.

define the area. if we can go to metro detroit i got some places

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Radia posted:

define the area. if we can go to metro detroit i got some places

Hell no. If you have to drive fifty minutes on the 96 for a better Reuben then no, that doesn't mean zingermans is overrated.

But I do wanna know more.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Whatever happened with those Iowa band members who got NIL contracts? Are they actually making money off of those somehow?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

augias posted:

Hell no. If you have to drive fifty minutes on the 96 for a better Reuben then no, that doesn't mean zingermans is overrated.

But I do wanna know more.

th,.the 96?

you mean I-96????? dont u DARE californiacate this midwestern shithole

but anyway
hygrade's, wigley's, uncle harry's, and one i remember from when i was younger but havent had in yeeeears is pastrami joe's and.. gently caress. i forget the name, but there's a place along the way to saginaw from pontiac with 2 foot big-rear end reubens and blt's, and they are so big and good. the name really does escape me, it was one of those places right along a highway.. zilwaukee? maybe like, midland or somewhere? im sorry, i dont remember. but it owned

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I’m not a Reuben guy specifically and I’ve been there like twice at most but for deli sandwiches I’ll forever love Ernie’s Market in Oak Park, where Ernie himself greets you with a “HEY BABY” and cuts the meat with a huge slicer and then places a Hershey’s kiss on your sandwich with a “LOOK OUT.” (don’t tell me if he died or something it’s been a long time)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Radia posted:

zingermans is overrated

:agreed:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Surely this will be the final straw for Dabo

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/TJAltimore/status/1761037587995648410

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Radia posted:

th,.the 96?

you mean I-96????? dont u DARE californiacate this midwestern shithole

Wait is this a california specific thing?

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Wait is this a california specific thing?

Southern California specifically. Anyone north of Santa Barbara will make fun of SoCal people for doing it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Making the best Reuben in Michigan seems like it would be a remarkably low bar to clear.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

All of the EA Sports CFB 25 news coming out is very good, and I don't think the NIL deal is bad per se, I'm sure plenty of the players are happy to be in the video game and get a free copy.

Maxwells Demon posted:

Southern California specifically. Anyone north of Santa Barbara will make fun of SoCal people for doing it.

absolutely 100% this.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I guess I’d like to see the comparison of how big ten and SEC teams do. Encouraging as an ISU fan that we are pretty good at drawing eyeballs. I hate that it seems like I have to think about these things all the time now. Gives me a little hope that if the NCAA blows up that ISU might get thrown a life ring.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

This doesn’t seem to functionally change much from how NIL has operated in practice for the last few years

The important part is that players can now negotiate NIL before enrolling somewhere. NCAA’s sticking point was saying that players couldn’t communicate with the NIL collectives to figure out their value before enrolling at a school.

When asked how they were supposed to get a valuation the NCAA basically went “idk the internet? There’s probably websites or something”.

So the NCAA was saying it was ok find their valuation “somehow” except through the collectives, the people who set the value.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

The important part is that players can now negotiate NIL before enrolling somewhere. NCAA’s sticking point was saying that players couldn’t communicate with the NIL collectives to figure out their value before enrolling at a school.

When asked how they were supposed to get a valuation the NCAA basically went “idk the internet? There’s probably websites or something”.

So the NCAA was saying it was ok find their valuation “somehow” except through the collectives, the people who set the value.

Well of course that’s their rule the fundamental lie that the revenue generating college athletics rely on is that kids are amateur athletes and not going to a school because of the money. I think we’re very quickly approaching the point, and I’m sure in some way this has been building via legal precedent for years, that college athletes directly tied to schools are employees which will blow up college athletics as we know it and in the end will be semi-pro teams that divorce the school aspect from the athletics.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Maxwells Demon posted:

Sorry I never paid attention. I'm a Spanish speaker natively so I just carried it over, la ruta cinco, etc. sheesh

Edit: I texted my sister in law and bro in law who are from flint and now in royal oak and they use both I-75 and the 75. :shrug:

augias fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

augias posted:

Sorry I never paid attention. I'm a Spanish speaker natively so I just carried it over, la ruta cinco, etc. sheesh

Edit: I texted my sister in law and bro in law who are from flint and now in royal oak and they use both I-75 and the 75. :shrug:

I’ve lived in Ohio and Michigan and I’ve never heard anyone say “the 75.”