Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Bouncing on spikes is neat but I don't think it's actually ever required. Bouncing on enemies was taught to the player pretty well I though.

I do agree that Hollow Knight was pretty bad about integrating the DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just wish somebody, ANYBODY, could have possibly seen Suicide Squad being a giant loving waste of Rocksteady's time coming. Alas, there wasn't a single warning sign, nobody could have known.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Jerusalem posted:

I just wish somebody, ANYBODY, could have possibly seen Suicide Squad being a giant loving waste of Rocksteady's time coming. Alas, there wasn't a single warning sign, nobody could have known.
This is the part that is so baffling so me. I know game company execs aren't exactly known for being in touch with gaming trends, but it felt like every bit of pre-release news I heard about Suicide Squad last year fell squarely within the range of "mm, this isn't looking too great" to "why the gently caress did they make this decision???" They have marketing people, don't they? Surely some suit at WB saw that no one wanted this game and made a powerpoint about how the pre-release hype wasn't working?

But no, they just kept going and released it anyway.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Sunk-cost fallacy in action.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

This is the part that is so baffling so me. I know game company execs aren't exactly known for being in touch with gaming trends, but it felt like every bit of pre-release news I heard about Suicide Squad last year fell squarely within the range of "mm, this isn't looking too great" to "why the gently caress did they make this decision???" They have marketing people, don't they? Surely some suit at WB saw that no one wanted this game and made a powerpoint about how the pre-release hype wasn't working?

But no, they just kept going and released it anyway.

Probably better to recoup any money at all on the nine years of development.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Someone please tell me what's wrong with the world? Absolutely every console button prompt is for xbox controllers, and nobody even thinks of offering a option for the others. For PC titles that's understandable, even if I grumble a bit. But playstation-exclusive games that got ported to PC, declining to give me PS button prompts as I use a PS controller? What on earth, please make it stop hurting.

Even Steam cheerfully supports it, just not the drat video games themselves.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Serephina posted:

Someone please tell me what's wrong with the world? Absolutely every console button prompt is for xbox controllers, and nobody even thinks of offering a option for the others. For PC titles that's understandable, even if I grumble a bit. But playstation-exclusive games that got ported to PC, declining to give me PS button prompts as I use a PS controller? What on earth, please make it stop hurting.

A lot of games have native Playstation controller support these days. Do you have Playstation controller support enabled in the Steam controller settings? That causes the game to think it's an Xbox controller. If a game has native support you should be able to play with Playstation controller support disabled in the Steam settings and get the correct prompts.

edit: Wow they've totally revamped the controller settings since I last looked at it. My Playstation Controller support is set to "Enabled in Games w/o Support" but if even that not working, I'd try changing it to Not Enabled.

Volte fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 24, 2024

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

FutureCop posted:

Pretty neat bundle! I'd certainly recommend Deadlink to any fans of Doom Eternal, Roboquest and Gunfire Reborn. Anyone got any recommendations?

A bit curious about River City Girls 2: I played the first one and was a bit meh about it, as it felt like it was more about goofy spectacle while the combat mechanics were rather shallow, kind of similar to something like the Scott Pilgrim beat-em-up. Has the second one improved significantly?

Currently eyeballing The Knight Witch, Affogato, and Blacktail, maybe.

I haven't finished it yet (I think I'm halfway through? Just got all characters and then I got lost a bit) but I really liked River City Girls 2, it's pretty charming and the character variety is great. Streets of Rage 4 is my gold standard for the genre but this plays a bit faster and looser with the formula, what with the open world and all, but I really enjoyed my time with it and I'm planning on returning to it at some point.

Azran fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 24, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Volte posted:

A lot of games have native Playstation controller support these days. Do you have Playstation controller support enabled in the Steam controller settings? That causes the game to think it's an Xbox controller. If a game has native support you should be able to play with Playstation controller support disabled in the Steam settings and get the correct prompts.

edit: Wow they've totally revamped the controller settings since I last looked at it. My Playstation Controller support is set to "Enabled in Games w/o Support" but if even that not working, I'd try changing it to Not Enabled.

yeah in many cases PC games actually do have playstation button prompts and you specifically need to disable steam input to get them to show up or else they get interpreted as an xbox controller.

Also some games support playstation prompts for the DS4 but not the dualsense, which means to get the prompts you need to use DS4windows to turn your dualsense into a DS4 of all things.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyone know whether Sword of the Stars 2 ever became playable? Or, to be more precise, did modders ever make it playable?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Anyone know whether Sword of the Stars 2 ever became playable? Or, to be more precise, did modders ever make it playable?

A couple rework mods exist but you really shouldn't.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mordja posted:

first google result: https://steamcommunity.com/app/42990/discussions/0/1290691937714987360

seems like yes?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Serephina posted:

Bro the PlayStation controllers weren’t even supported on windows until semi recently (with the release of the ps5 afaik) and the only way you could have used one was with using a 3rd party program to get the thing to work.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I swore I read somewhere that the playstation controllers being a nightmare to use on PC was intentional because strangely enough Microsoft wants you to use an Xbox controller.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I doubt that. Don't PlayStation controllers just show up as a DirectInput device when you plug them into a PC? Nothing uses DirectInput anymore, but Xinput instead, which Xbox controllers use. So to use a PlayStation controller, you need a program to convert it to Xinput, something that Steam does.
Problem is, games that actually have PlayStation controller built in can't see the controller if you're running one of those, since they would just see it as an Xbox controller.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mordja posted:

Yes, I had my fun with it. There are some issues with it still, but the tech tree is one of the most interesting in the genre and the tactical battles are pretty neat.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Leal posted:

I swore I read somewhere that the playstation controllers being a nightmare to use on PC was intentional because strangely enough Microsoft wants you to use an Xbox controller.
That's the conspiracy, whether it's true or not is up to you. It was very lovely that Microsoft's OS team made DirectInput and XInput the way it did either way, instead of making it universal. Edit; the usual argument here is that Sony should be the ones to make it work, but it really only hurt players.

I think even now the support for DualSense on Windows is only there because (the larger) game engines now have native support for it, not because Windows changed anything. It's unlikely you'll see games supporting it if they're rolling their own engine, they'll still rely on a DS to XInput wrapper like whatever Steam or ds4windows does.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Thanks to Steam, using a DualSense is as good as it'll ever be, they even show on the Store/Library page whether the game supports your currently connected controller (and apparently also any controller you've connected before?).

I found SteamDB useful to see which game support what: https://steamdb.info/instantsearch/...e%20Controllers. Their search is very fast.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Server issues aside, any verdict on Last Epoch?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

It's good.

Sab669 posted:

Server issues aside, I love it. Strikes a perfect balance between Diablo 3 being too casual / PoE being too complex.

Same but more specifically for me personally, it has a lot of depth of PoE while actually allowing you to respec as much as you want, to experiment with that complexity, unlike PoE.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 24, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Server issues aside, I love it. Strikes a perfect balance between Diablo 3 being too casual / PoE being too complex.

Having a ton of fun on my Falconer

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

It is ace-credible and even comes with an actual honest to God offline-mode, so if you want to just solo, there's zero friction from release week woes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Gripper posted:

That's the conspiracy, whether it's true or not is up to you.

You should probably believe it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Does the combat in Last Epoch feel any better than it did like 2 years ago? It was floaty and weightless like Van Helsing or Torchlight.

Combat feel is just as important as fun and interesting loot to me in an ARPG.

Diablo 3 and 4 are actually excellent at it but 4 failed at the loot aspect and I've played 3 to death.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

They said they improved it with the 1.0 patch, feels fine to me but then I never really had a problem with it.

You'd know well enough within the 2 hour refund window though :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Leal posted:

Sony could have released a driver for the controller but they never did.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's been so long now that I can't actually remember (outside of technical issues) what the big problems with Sword of the Stars 2 even were. I think they overcomplicated it?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

XCOM Chimera Squad is on sale for $3, it's real good. I dunno if they're making XCOM 3 after Midnight Suns, but I'd go for another Chimera Squad.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mordja posted:

It's been so long now that I can't actually remember (outside of technical issues) what the big problems with Sword of the Stars 2 even were. I think they overcomplicated it?

The initial release didn't work. Like, basically, at all. They claimed to have accidentally released the wrong build. Lots of bugs and missing features still, and it took a while.to get fixed.

I think it is fair to say that the game sunk the series.

It's a shame, because the tactical battles are neat. Armour is modelled like rows of breakout blocks, and weapons remove blocks in certain patterns. HE removes blocks in a wide but shallow range while armour piercing is actually a thin but long strip (but fewer blocks overall). Certain armour removes a flat n blocks of incoming damage, so some hulls are impervious to HE.

The great thing about this armour system is how intuitive it is. AP actually pierces, and you can see it in combat when you look at the damage your ships are taking. Armour full of holes? You got shot with AP. Armour ablated evenly? HE.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Deakul posted:

Does the combat in Last Epoch feel any better than it did like 2 years ago? It was floaty and weightless like Van Helsing or Torchlight.

Combat feel is just as important as fun and interesting loot to me in an ARPG.

Diablo 3 and 4 are actually excellent at it but 4 failed at the loot aspect and I've played 3 to death.

im nearing the end of the campaign now and have seen both nice juicy feeling skills and weightless skills on my character. my leap and warcry feel real nice. when i push my totem button i have to look and see if the skill went on cooldown or not because there is zero feedback.

overall i have been having fun with it despite server bullshit.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
After playing around with MS powertoys for a bit, I bought a steelseries keyboard (my old one was cruddy and worn out). This thing is pretty boss. Way better than my Roccat so far.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The Gripper posted:

That's the conspiracy, whether it's true or not is up to you. It was very lovely that Microsoft's OS team made DirectInput and XInput the way it did either way, instead of making it universal. Edit; the usual argument here is that Sony should be the ones to make it work, but it really only hurt players.

I think even now the support for DualSense on Windows is only there because (the larger) game engines now have native support for it, not because Windows changed anything. It's unlikely you'll see games supporting it if they're rolling their own engine, they'll still rely on a DS to XInput wrapper like whatever Steam or ds4windows does.

So what's the deal with Joy-Con support then?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

So what's the deal with Joy-Con support then?

They're also Direct Input which modern Windows hates.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm not sure if it's MS or Sony being petty, but it's notable that Sony is providing dualshock drivers for *Linux* fairly timely. And it's not even now that Proton and Steam Deck have opened the floodgates for linux gaming, they began in the ancient times of PS3.

Orv
May 4, 2011
To be fair that's probably just someone in the Sony engineering chain being a dork.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Apparently Sony is generally the Big Jerk when it comes to massively cross-compatible games.
They were during the early Rocket League days.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How easy is it to ignore the story in Dying Light 2 if I only care about the gameplay?
Will it force me into a bunch of unskippable slow walking story sections constantly?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

How easy is it to ignore the story in Dying Light 2 if I only care about the gameplay?
Will it force me into a bunch of unskippable slow walking story sections constantly?

pretty much any time the main story leads you to open a door

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jack Trades posted:

U press b n skip through mq dialogues. Theres at least two brief dream sequences but they have a nice strings track at least. In general the music is surprisingly good actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Does DL2 still have that thing were you, the experienced runner, have 3 seconds of stamina and need to hunt down upgrades for more?