Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I've never been to a GDQ but at RPGLB having seen what a pita it was for people even at the next hotel over, i would never opt for offsite accomodation that wasnt staying with a pal who's also going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hungry Squirrel posted:

That would probably be smart, but I've got a bad case of FOMO and the Holiday Inn Express a few blocks away is probably cheaper than the official hotel block regardless. I'm fine not being at the event hotel if being elsewhere is significantly cheaper while still in stagger-home-at-midnight proximity.

If the hotel rate is refundable, you can always sit on it until you get your GDQ ticket and see if you can get into the venue hotel then cancel your first reservation?

It's definitely worth it to stay at the venue for any of these things, if at the very least so you can pop back to your room and drop stuff off/grab things as needed

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

They don't let you walk around naked at the hotel if you're staying offsite. Important to note, imo.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

FYI the daily rate for a duo (triple/quad was $10 more) at the Hilton was $139 in 2023, pre-tax. I'm obsessive enough about Hotel Deals to see what the cost of the Holiday Inn Express is and it's like $3 less lol if it's non-refundable.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Relatedly, who needs Stale Reference Manipulation when you can warp absically anywhere in OoT depending on the enemy volume:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHSClx5n9g4

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
We have our own reserved hotel block with special pricing. You're best off waiting until that opens up. We are unlikely to run out of rooms especially if you book on the first few days.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Given that there is literally no better source for that information, I will quite cheerfully settle the hell down. Thank you!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1aaxQOg2LU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

A 3 hour video with no context? *arf voice* I'm not watching that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

just don't use your arf voice in anger

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Studio posted:

A 3 hour video with no context? *arf voice* I'm not watching that.

tldw the person who made the super metroid / lttp crossover randomizer is now working on a super metroid / lttp / zelda 1 / metroid 1 randomizer.

The video shows it's now in a working state but it's still very much beta. For instance most dungeon items in zelda 1 don't really get randomized.
The plan is to update the randomizer generator so it can generate a randomizer of any combination of those 4 games, mixing the items among the games you selected.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
is this just the gaming equivalent of filling your soda cup at McDonald’s with a little bit of each kind of soda

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

brap posted:

is this just the gaming equivalent of filling your soda cup at McDonald’s with a little bit of each kind of soda

In the sense that the sprite option might give you shasta, yes.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

brap posted:

Basically yeah. Though you're still playing the full randomizer for each game, so the cup you're using is one of those ridiculous 128-oz Mega Gulps they sell in the gas station.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The RetroGamingLiveTV crew just started an event for Valentine's day and beyond, RGLove:

https://horaro.org/rglove24/schedule

https://twitch.tv/retrogaminglivetv

It runs all the way until next monday, if you want to check out some fun speedruns.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
Fun speedrun story that forums posters might appreciate:

I recently did a first attempt for speedrunning a game that hasn't been done before (Kileak: The DNA Imperative, a launch game for ps1).

I almost ran this game 4 years ago and, at the time, the only evidence I could find that anybody had thought about the game as a speedrun was an SDA post requesting a speedrun of the game.

This time around, I was committed to doing a run and figured I could try and find the poster to let them know I had done the run 18 years later.

The joke was on me because they're one of the 31 followers of Kileak on Twitch and they already found my streams.

Speedrunning is good, I recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coYtcIqXAus

The run isn't particularly good (yet) but sub-90 absolutely beat my estimate for a first attempt.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Is Kileak the one that got a semi-sequel in Brahma Force?

Faxanadus
Oct 16, 2023
Yeah, though there's also "Kileak: The Blood 2" (or western title 'Epidemic') before Brahma Force.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
Yeah, so Genki made 3 FPS mecha games on PS1:

Kileak: The DNA Imperative (JP/PAL title: Kileak: The Blood)
Epidemic (JP/PAL title: Kileak: The Blood 2 - Reason in Madness)
BRAHMA Force: The Assault on Beltlogger 9 (JP title: Beltlogger 9, PAL title: BRAHMA Force)

BRAHMA Force is basically a Kileak game in practice, but was published by Jaleco instead of Sony.

Someone recently put a lot of work into improving the BRAHMA Force speedrun, crushing my old time of 1:01:53 and bringing the "WR" down to 42:48. Been a couple years since I played that one myself, so I don't quite fully know what they did to save time but it's a super fun game regardless. Kileak is kind of weird and slow but Epidemic and BRAHMA Force are both easy recommendations to pick up and play.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Randomly recommended to me today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zay5lEeMlk

You can't effectively brute-force a search space like that so I'm wondering what they're going to come up with to narrow it down. Also I feel like you need that small variation in starting position to make it possible at all, so I wonder if the TAS solution is to just take a specific clock cycle after power-on and work from whatever the RNG gives you at that time.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
you may find bisqwit's tas of lunar pool interesting (and its zero-friction alternative)

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

David Craddock has written a bunch of books and long-rear end articles on games, mostly focusing on the stories of their development but his newest "long read" for Shacknews is focusing on something appropriate to this thread:
Perfect Run: The Quest to Master Resident Evil 2 and Make GDQ History

quote:

I set out to learn more about Carci’s background, his training regimen leading up to AGDQ 2024, the run itself, whether he was successful and, from there, what went right, and what went wrong. Would he triumph and gain hundreds or thousands of new followers during the week-long livestream extravaganzas? Or would he fail and suffer a hit to his reputation as a challenge run god? What goes into preparing to play in front of thousands of people? Why Resident Evil 2 Remake instead of RE7, the subject of one of his most famous GDQ streams, or his favorite, 2002’s remake of the original Resident Evil?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Latest cheating drama with a blindfolded Alatreon fight in Monster Hunter which gets even funnier with an army of followers brigading Asmongold to promote their 'Queen', thus ensuring the run got some attention from actual blind runners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugT5eLpuwMo

Karl Jobst is a big tease with that one though since this is only the first part, with the finale 5 days from now.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

taking a page from ArfJason and not watching that

primarily because Karl Jobst is a nazi

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Rubellavator posted:

Oh, thought he was just a reformed former twat, there's no reformed part?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

FishMcCool posted:

Oh, thought he was just a reformed former twat, there's no reformed part?

he spent years and years in rwhitegoose's discord while goose said things like 'we need a solution to the jewish question'. karl also bitched about not being allowed to use the n word.

he also got his start by writing pick-up artist books. he sucks.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
speedrun twitter also had some discourse the past week about drama youtubers making cheating videos generally being a scourge on speedrunning (especially as it appears on youtube)

not that cheating can't be interesting or well-covered, but there really are people chasing the perception that cheating videos yield the most views/clicks/whatever... and folks watching those videos, I guess

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

he spent years and years in rwhitegoose's discord while goose said things like 'we need a solution to the jewish question'. karl also bitched about not being allowed to use the n word.

he also got his start by writing pick-up artist books. he sucks.

Ugh, fair enough, I only knew the latter part.

pmcTRILOGY posted:

speedrun twitter also had some discourse the past week about drama youtubers making cheating videos generally being a scourge on speedrunning (especially as it appears on youtube)

not that cheating can't be interesting or well-covered, but there really are people chasing the perception that cheating videos yield the most views/clicks/whatever... and folks watching those videos, I guess

So that's an interesting bit, because character aside, that's something I thought of watching the video and Asmongold's involvement, with his related videos automatically linked on the side by youtube as suggestions. The guy is basically not involved, but still making an absolute mint just by existing, it's quite impressive. The runner fans brigaded him, so he made a reaction video. Cheating allegations came in, he made a reaction to cheating video. Runner did another run to debunk, he made another video. Basically he's a third party and gets a monetised video out every time one side of the argument says something. Streaming was a mistake. :psyduck:

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 24, 2024

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Rubellavator posted:

:hmmyes:
Here's a non-Karl Jobst video on the same subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ5qd31op34

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Played some more doom 3. Once it picks up a bit in pace its a bit better but its still got so many flaws in there. Uninterruptible reload animations??? gently caress off man...

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

ArfJason posted:

Played some more doom 3. Once it picks up a bit in pace its a bit better but its still got so many flaws in there. Uninterruptible reload animations??? gently caress off man...

that would disrupt a speedrun for sure

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Ah, didnt read the thread so i missposted. Farewell.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

FishMcCool posted:

Ugh, fair enough, I only knew the latter part.

So that's an interesting bit, because character aside, that's something I thought of watching the video and Asmongold's involvement, with his related videos automatically linked on the side by youtube as suggestions. The guy is basically not involved, but still making an absolute mint just by existing, it's quite impressive. The runner fans brigaded him, so he made a reaction video. Cheating allegations came in, he made a reaction to cheating video. Runner did another run to debunk, he made another video. Basically he's a third party and gets a monetised video out every time one side of the argument says something. Streaming was a mistake. :psyduck:

Yeah, try not to give Asmongold traffic either.

My only first hand experience is a recommended video where he was mad about women when ASMR became a thing. Apparently that's only the top of the iceberg and he keeps getting temp banned from twitch for hateful rants.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I preferred it when cheaters were handled in these videos by completely throwing them in the memory hole. Maybe mentioning that there was a cheated WR in such and such year but don’t even mention the cheater’s name or anything else.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

brap posted:

I preferred it when cheaters were handled in these videos by completely throwing them in the memory hole. Maybe mentioning that there was a cheated WR in such and such year but don’t even mention the cheater’s name or anything else.

Isn't that how we ended up with Cheaters just jumping into a different game and cheating there, because no one knew their history?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe? Maybe speedrunning should have a Leper's Colony. I'm just not into shining a spotlight on cheating, over covering people's cool legitimate achievements, in order to get YouTube revenue.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Social media thrives on outrage.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm pretty sure "videogame cheating drama" has a large audience of people interested in it (or at least, interested enough to watch a youtube video), that have zero interest in any other speedrunning content. It's not "taking away" viewers who would have watched the regular world record history but now won't.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I don't mind a cheating video but it needs to be you know, an actual interesting attempt at cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

I'm pretty sure "videogame cheating drama" has a large audience of people interested in it (or at least, interested enough to watch a youtube video), that have zero interest in any other speedrunning content. It's not "taking away" viewers who would have watched the regular world record history but now won't.

I am not thinking in terms of any kind of video taking away viewers from any other kind. Rather a bad video takes the video author's time that might have been spent on better stuff. I am disappointed when video authors choose to spend their limited time making cheating outrage videos versus speedrunning achievement videos. Obviously none if it matters that much and they make their own choices.