Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
mormons are funny as hell because they have a top tier language school

and they use it to teach the world about planet Kolob and Missouri was the location of the garden of eden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Mormons act like Sailor Moon, where they are convinced they have the power to heal through kindness if you just let them, but this poo poo is real life. You can't win over the 'bad guys' by appealing to their better nature. MLK Jr tried that and was loving murdered for it.

And when he did die, he was on the edge of realizing his poo poo wasn't working and it was showing up in his writing. He thought that seeing black people attacked while not resisting in the news would move hearts much more than it actually did.

In the end it took loving bloodshed - MLK Jr, Rev James Reeb, and many others - for change to actually happen. Civil rights laws were always and only passed after a tragedy. None of it happened non-violently.

So where the gently caress does your PhD friend get off thinking she's gonna change things by appealing to the R's kindness. Seriously.

If that was going to work, it would've already. It's not like it's just waiting for the right person to do it. Imagining she can be their Messiah is pure self-indulgence on your friend's part.

Big ups on you telling us how MLK was wrong

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Alan Smithee posted:

and they use it to teach the world about planet Kolob and Missouri was the location of the garden of eden

lol mormons got kicked the gently caress outta ohio

and then were so annoying they got some of the most beautiful land on the continent for a little religious fiefdom as long as they renounced polygamy and child marriage*

*they are a major player in american finance now so what do you do

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 24, 2024

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol Republicans know they hosed up big time with IVF

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

I hope your friend is successful and isn't dragged down as the Republicans continue to go full fascist.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
It's a good thing this hasn't been the Republican end game for decades, it's just a few bad MAGAs

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

kazil posted:

Lol what a loving worm

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
My dad won't shut up about how much he loves Trump and the GOP platform but it's okay because we're Canadian and it's not even an election he can participate in so I just kind "Okay dad" him until he's had his fill. And he hates the leadership for the Canadian conservative party and I don't think he even votes in our elections anymore.

Weird guy, that dad of mine.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
must be nice to focus on culture wars when you actually have healthcare

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Willatron posted:

the leadership for the Canadian conservative party

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol what a loving worm

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

All I'd like to see happen some time this week is Ivanka see the writing on the wall and change her name legally to Ivanka Kushner. I want Trumbo to have that taken away as well.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

This is why all Canadians need to be banned from Ameerican politics chattering. Take their maple syrup bottles!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

I would be very interested in how "wrongfully" is determined.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

South Carolina Republican primary is today. I fully expect Trump! to win, but margins will be interesting.

Five Thirty Eight

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Willatron posted:

And he hates the leadership for the Canadian conservative party

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

He's just too much of a weiner for old rural Conservatives to connect with I guess, he can say all the right things but at the end of the day he still looks like that.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

kazil posted:

I assume since the lion's share of the GOP (or I could just as accurately say... TRMBP) realizes this blunder, I assume the supreme court is going to prioritize bailing them out?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

IshmaelZarkov posted:

All I'd like to see happen some time this week is Ivanka see the writing on the wall and change her name legally to Ivanka Kushner. I want Trumbo to have that taken away as well.

But she needs to keep his last name because it's the last thin veil between her and the little mushroom guy

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

kazil posted:

I believe the life of every child has inestimable dignity and value, unless that requires feeding them, providing them with healthcare, ensuring they have a place to live, or preventing them from getting murdered in school. Or if they have a funny haircut. Or they're from another country.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
brought to you by the same state that killed that dude with nitrogen

Perfectly Sound Logic

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Apollodorus posted:

A PhD is a requirement to be a college professor, it’s not some self enrichment thing. Now that her kids are all in school she’s retiring to the career track she was on before they were born.

But the bigger point is, I think, that there are lots more effectively ex-Republicans out there who are still in the GOP because they’re looking to undo the damage that the party has caused AND who are doing so precisely BECAUSE they recognize their complicity in it and want to fix their mistake.

At least I hope that’s the case.

Well hopefully she’s successful and then she and the non trumpy republicans can get back to their core values of eliminating social programs so they can give tax breaks to the wealthy, and removing women’s bodily autonomy.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Scags McDouglas posted:

I assume since the lion's share of the GOP (or I could just as accurately say... TRMBP) realizes this blunder, I assume the supreme court is going to prioritize bailing them out?

Wasn't the whole point of Dobbs to leave it up to states?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

kazil posted:

No they don't. The mask vaguely on shower are talking and hoping the frothing loons will shut the gently caress up.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Alan Smithee posted:

Our Conservatives are working really hard on taking that away, don't worry.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Scags McDouglas posted:

If it's based on state law then there's nothing to intervene on, and moreover taking the case would further twist the pretzel logic that undergirds Dobbs in the first place.

Keep loving that chicken, Republicans, you're doing great.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

kazil posted:

No, the point of Dobbs is that Alito and Thomas want to get to decide every single issue on a case-by-case basis, without any nasty precedent or guidance for lower courts getting in the way.

They straight up said 'Oh yeah this same issue of privacy underpins all these other rulings, but this is a special case that only we have the loving moon knowledge to comprehend, all you pissant lower courts can gently caress off, we're not explaining why, just keep sending everything up to us, we get to decide.'

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 24, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Apollodorus posted:

I just love how a member of a group calling itself “Conservative” is celebrating how radically it has changed in the last 10 years.

Meanwhile my Mormon friend who always called herself “conservative” when we were growing up, and still does because she’s (moderately) pro-life and pro-business, is now getting shouted out of her local Iowa Republican Party meetings because she has all these woke ideas like “hey maybe let’s NOT nominate a rapist fraudster who’s been indicted for close to 100 felonies” and “immigrants really deserve a fair shot at finding employment and housing because after all they’re people too”.

Your friend sounds like a Christian who did the horrible Woke act of "believing the teaching of Christ"

She hadn't realized these aren't Christians, their fascists wearing crosses.

Tbh I feel for them, when I was younger the utter hypocrisy of "christians" around me regarding the less fortunate, LGBTQ people, and other faiths caused me to start questioning everything.

I hope your friend can heal and reflect, and find a place internally where they can be spiritually whole and get away from that cult.

If people are waking up and getting out, realizing Trump is the false prophet their books warns about, then the more of that the faster this whole thing collapses and ends.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 24, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

Mormons are also by far some of the top family history researchers in the world, and if you are interested in where your family comes from at all in terms of your ancestors, you've probably used their sites.

Like they have a lot of infrastructure that could actually do a lot of net good, shame about supporting fascists for the most part though.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Three Olives posted:

We keep S.Pellegrino water which is imported from Italy and Fiji water which is imported from Fiji in our fridge at all times and it is literally less than half the cost Liberal Tears which, ozonation, uv and reverse osmosis means it is literally tap water.

Also Make Agua Great Again. Agua is Spanish for water, I learned that at a very young age when my parents found out that I kept asking our maid for agua instead of water. They weren't pleased. It's an interesting choice, my god, aqua is right there.

You can't afford a house outside Flint?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

Mormons are also by far some of the top family history researchers in the world, and if you are interested in where your family comes from at all in terms of your ancestors, you've probably used their sites.

Like they have a lot of infrastructure that could actually do a lot of net good, shame about supporting fascists for the most part though.

Also they use that infrastructure to posthumously baptize everyone’s dead relatives in an attempt to bring about the end times.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Riven posted:

Also they use that infrastructure to posthumously baptize everyone’s dead relatives in an attempt to bring about the end times.

There's some good and bad, and that's all the time we have for tonight.....

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Riven posted:

I am confident my ancestors' kickass ghosts like from RotK would take a Mormon baptism as an insult, all of them

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

digital penitence posted:

he always looks high af

Did he get new hair? It looks less bouffant, especially on the sides

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Here's how Donald Trump's money and defamation troubles are bad for Joe Biden

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

kazil posted:

kw0134 posted:

If it's based on state law then there's nothing to intervene on, and moreover taking the case would further twist the pretzel logic that undergirds Dobbs in the first place.

Keep loving that chicken, Republicans, you're doing great.

Thanks! Turns out I'm an idiottttt

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

kazil posted:

South Carolina Republican primary is today. I fully expect Trump! to win, but margins will be interesting.

Five Thirty Eight

I'm curious to see how, if at all, trungo's performance will fluctuate this year. Is his support in freefall as it becomes obvious he's hosed? Does his inability to stop stealing from the cookie jar affect his campaigning? Do particularly damning court cases hurt turnout, or inflate it? Can Haley stay in the air long enough for Trump to hit a mountain? Many such questions!

New day, same tired lamentation. Get new "stuff!"

yippeekiyaymf posted:

Did he get new hair? It looks less bouffant, especially on the sides

Bouffant is out! Bulbous is in!

Shishkahuben fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 24, 2024

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

We had Simpsons old man yelling at clouds. Now we have Trump as: old man yelling at crimes.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

"Fake lawsuit?" I'm pretty sure it was real. With real attorneys and a real judge in a real courtroom with real documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Surely this time, unilaterally Truthing that a trial is OVER will work out for me