Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

LE's campaign is better than most but it's still forcing you do the exact same layouts every time, following the exact same routes, mashing through the same conversation, watching through the same unskippable setpieces, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Jack Trades posted:

LE's campaign is better than most but it's still forcing you do the exact same layouts every time, following the exact same routes, mashing through the same conversation, watching through the same unskippable setpieces, etc.

The fact that LE's layouts are pregen and not procgen must be next level of boring

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Wasn't this game basically made by 20 people or something

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Co-op so far has been very smooth. We had no failed transitions (meaning 1 or more ppl got their personal instance)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Erulisse posted:

Because people in poe, for example, already have an option to do campaign in 3 hours or less, with twink gear even faster

This is extreme PoE brain. Most people can't complete the campaign in 3 hours, even with twink items

Herstory Begins Now posted:

as an aside, you can go to delve at level 30 and play that all the way to level 90+ without ever doing any story and then just blitz the story at max speed, but no one does that

How? You need to get sulphite from somewhere.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Falconer is pretty stupid.
I'm still leveling but right now I'm just alternating the falcon screen wipe with a 0 mana ability and the only time I'm stuck with a cooldown is when the falcon accidentally does too much damage.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

NPR Journalizard posted:

This is extreme PoE brain. Most people can't complete the campaign in 3 hours, even with twink items

Yeah picking up singular wisdoms and transmutes in a7 and not having quicksilver flask up most of the time does that.
As much as just doing full clear of zones. Or afking. IDing all the rares and going back and forth to town to vendor thrice per zone.

If a person is able to play "hideout floor is lava", that person can be as fast in campaign as in maps

NPR Journalizard posted:

How? You need to get sulphite from somewhere.

On your second and forth characters each league, sulphite and depths are shared but not one person does this shortcut because lol, campaign is faster

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Erulisse posted:

The fact that LE's layouts are pregen and not procgen must be next level of boring

Having the same level keep the same visual style and plot beats, but just have a different general shape doesn't feel much better.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Erulisse posted:

Yeah picking up singular wisdoms and transmutes in a7 and not having quicksilver flask up most of the time does that.
As much as just doing full clear of zones. Or afking. IDing all the rares and going back and forth to town to vendor thrice per zone.

If a person is able to play "hideout floor is lava", that person can be as fast in campaign as in maps

Tytykiller is doing low two hour campaigns. Most people will not be within an hour of him, even if they do play floor is lava

Erulisse posted:

On your second and forth characters each league, sulphite and depths are shared but not one person does this shortcut because lol, campaign is faster
I didn't know this and am going to try it next league. Thanks.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Servers seem better today although still occasional long load times and I've had to restart the game twice. Blasted through act 6 of the campaign for my passives/idol slots and then did the Julra skip to act 9 to unlock CoF, and the legendary I made actually hit the affixes I wanted so if I decide to level a Runemaster I have a godly twink wand for him at level 24 with almost +300% cold damage.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
It's really nice that Monoliths run absolutely perfect. No wait times, no disconnects or lag, feels basically like offline mode.

Also:

Let's see where we'll end up.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

NPR Journalizard posted:

Most people will not be within an hour of him, even if they do play floor is lava

Yes, because most people never try. they bitch and moan and cry they hate campaign and need a shortcut.
"Most people" are dumb.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
PSA to anyone else playing offline: https://www.nexusmods.com/lastepoch/mods/4 lets you enable auto pickup and stashing of shards (among many other fun tweaks, might even let you skip the campaign, I haven't poked around much).

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Imagine arguing that, actually, making people do things they don’t find fun is ACTUALLY fun.

Adventure mode/campaign skips are good. Most players aren’t burning through PoEs 10 acts in 3 hours. Hell I’m familiar and it takes me 10 and some of that is me afking or grabbing caffeine because grinding through it is boring.

If you don’t like those modes, the campaign would still be right there.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

totalnewbie posted:

Wasn't this game basically made by 20 people or something

Saw a post by a dev the other day saying that they started at 6 people and are at 90 now. Could well be that a large part of the game there were around 20 or so

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Saxophone posted:

Imagine arguing that, actually, making people do things they don’t find fun is ACTUALLY fun.

Have you ever considered that you don't know what you find enjoyable and only some videogame dev knows what makes you happy? In this essay I will...

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Man does it feel nice reaching 50 bleed stacks on a boss before their health bar suddenly empties.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

100% of the time without fail if you suggest that perhaps the old bad grindy ways are old and bad and grindy, Gamers will jump out of the woodwork to explain to you why you won't actually enjoy what you want

It's sort of funny in the context of stuff like campaign skips, it's wildly unfunny in the context of accessibility options

(for the record I loving hate the poe campaign and love that D4 lets me skip it and immediately go do seasonal poo poo with friends)

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
the campaign skips in this game exists in several ways though

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
so glad that last epoch 1.0 launched, featuring a brand new path of exile campaign.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I had a prophecy to kill 6 rare enemies, did a few monoliths and got no progress on it, went and picked up a new prophecy to kill 7 rare enemies, and now that one has completed after another mono and the first one still hasn't lol.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Help, my old bad grindy game is old bad and grindy! I refuse to play what suits me and what I find fun, I DEMAND your ways be changed!

CATER MY DEMANDS!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Tonetta posted:

the campaign skips in this game exists in several ways though

I tried leveling via the dungeon route a few patches ago and it didn't seem much faster than doing the campaign normally? You still have to do a bunch of campaign to reach the skip points and then of course the dungeons themselves take time. Cool that its there but I don't think it really does anything to help people who hate leveling.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

victrix posted:

100% of the time without fail if you suggest that perhaps the old bad grindy ways are old and bad and grindy, Gamers will jump out of the woodwork to explain to you why you won't actually enjoy what you want

It's sort of funny in the context of stuff like campaign skips, it's wildly unfunny in the context of accessibility options

(for the record I loving hate the poe campaign and love that D4 lets me skip it and immediately go do seasonal poo poo with friends)

Yeah, reading the same old arguments is getting tiring.

I just don't really understand why I need to do a video game chore before I get to the fun part? No, I don't necessarily want to flat out skip leveling, I just don't want to do the same exact actions, in the same exact order, talking to the same exact people, skipping the same exact dialogue... for like 60 levels before I get to the endgame content where my build looks more like my build. Probably the best option would be some kind of accelerated leveling that takes maybe an hour or so via maps, dungeons, whatever.

Being able to get my timing down on the campaign via speedrun strats is a bandaid, not some kind of solution. I still don't find that time spent fun even if I'm spending less of my time doing it.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

MMF Freeway posted:

I tried leveling via the dungeon route a few patches ago and it didn't seem much faster than doing the campaign normally? You still have to do a bunch of campaign to reach the skip points and then of course the dungeons themselves take time. Cool that its there but I don't think it really does anything to help people who hate leveling.

you can have a friend invite you to an empowered monolith at level one and you'll be level 50 in like 5 minutes.

without assistance, you can drop the campaign the moment you enter the end of time, assuming you're skilled/geared enough.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Hating a mandatory repetitious campaign is totally understandable but I'm trying and failing to imagine why someone would play an ARPG if they hate the very concept of levelling.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Tonetta posted:

you can have a friend invite you to an empowered monolith at level one and you'll be level 50 in like 5 minutes.

without assistance, you can drop the campaign the moment you enter the end of time, assuming you're skilled/geared enough.

these aren't really skips though because you'll be going back to the campaign (up to chapter 8) to unlock your passives and idol slots

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Ugh I've gotta click these monsters on those maps to get to the bit where I can click the same monsters on the same maps, what gives???

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Erulisse posted:

Yes, because most people never try. they bitch and moan and cry they hate campaign and need a shortcut.
"Most people" are dumb.

lol Jesus Christ

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Volte posted:

Hating a mandatory repetitious campaign is totally understandable but I'm trying and failing to imagine why someone would play an ARPG if they hate the very concept of levelling.

I try to understand people personally because I hate arpgs and I love poe for the variability and replayability.
No other game outside eve online, albion online and pathofexile cater to my creative tastes. And I equally hate all 3 of these.
Then again, a marvel when your poe build starts to function, "clicks" together during leveling or later is yet another neat itch to be scratched.

Because whats in the maps? Endless maps aka repetitive content, doing same old kill mobs, next zone? Hows that different from campaign?
But no maps are diff~ Okay.
Yet again I ask same question, what size should be "WIN" button on character creation screen and at what map tier new twink characters should be dropped?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

To quote The Wire: "It's all in the game".

There are other games if this one doesn't meet their needs.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

i think we should all try books instead of whatever this pointless arpg poo poo is

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

i think we should all try books instead of whatever this pointless arpg poo poo is

You expect me to start with Dr Seuss? I want to read Ulysses right now!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Volte posted:

Biggest reasons players tend not to like leveling that I've seen:

Lack of buttons to press: clicking monsters isn't as fun when you don't have your full kit
Loot at low levels is bad: clicking monsters isn't as fun when you can't get good loot
Endgame progress stalled: clicking monsters isn't as fun when you're not working towards your overarching goals

LE specific: their campaign just isn't that good even before it gets repetitive

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What's the 'Rank 2' refer to? :thunk:

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

King Cocoa Butter posted:

I agree with the above post, I've run both PoE and LE campaigns a million times and LE feels less tedious. It's still tedious, but a full skip + free level up like an MMO also isn't the answer because the power progression is a core feature of ARPGs.

This is probably dumb but it almost seems like the solution is just a special, fast-paced, high-exp dungeon or series of dungeons that catapult you into the end game. You only unlock it after completing the campaign once. It takes 15 minutes or an hour or something and then you're level 60 and ready for monoliths. So, Adventure Mode from D3 but with an actual plan behind it, basically. Just formalize what people are doing anyway and make it fun!

you can just waltz into monoliths at level 35, maybe 40 if your build is bad. its fine. you already have what you want, and it rules

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Took me a minute to login.

Now looking like even longer to travel to my first zone for the day.

A new record on concurrent players right now - 225k.

Gonna be a rough weekend. Last night things were reasonably solid.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
To me the best part of ARPGs are the breakpoints where you gain some big boosts to power or speed. But you can't appreciate going faster or doing more damage if you don't spend some time going slower and doing less damage. There's a delicate balance between too much slowness/tedium and too much gratification, but both are necessary for the ideal ARPG experience to me. If you only want the gratification with no slowness, well, there's offline mode with character editors I guess, or power levelling, or whatever other techniques you can find. I'm fine with whatever people want out of a game, I don't think they're wrong, I just don't want the game to become all gratification all the time by design because that isn't interesting to me in this genre.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Sab669 posted:

that's the faction requirement to equip that gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Think you need to be rank 2 with the relevant faction to be able to equip this item?