Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

tokin opposition posted:

I care, I keep a SQL database of every goon and their posting crimes, all computed using state of the art heuristics to produce maximally effective blackmail material to keep from getting owned.

updating goons.xls with "tokin opposition keeps a SQL database"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
tokin opposition is afraid of being owned.

Why is that?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Orange Devil posted:

Why is that?

as boner confessor they got given a corncob avatar

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

blatman posted:

the prices at my local grocer are bananas

Where do you live? I pay in dollars.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

I care, I keep a SQL database of every goon and their posting crimes, all computed using state of the art heuristics to produce maximally effective blackmail material to keep from getting owned.

Luckily all my posting is Good and legal.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

when I post that means it’s not illegal

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

blatman posted:

the prices at my local grocer are bananas

But what do they charge for bananas?

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Ruffian Price posted:

updating goons.xls with "tokin opposition keeps a SQL database"

efficient modding

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

I'm not good at math that's the answer

The hungry alligator mouth always wants to eat the bigger number

FirstnameLastname posted:

the < crocodile eats the bigger number

Yeah exactly

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Weatherman posted:

as boner confessor they got given a corncob avatar

I was never boner confessor, drop your tables

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Orange Devil posted:

Why is that?

I'm against verbal slavery op. Too bad you aren't

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Bring back Kukkuravihko.

is that similar to this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/S&H_Green_Stamps

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Illegal in the EU :smugmrgw: (asking, not refusing).

ain't got electronic mail yet over there in europaland (they just adapted movable type)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

FirstnameLastname posted:

the < crocodile eats the bigger number

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

My mother used those when I was a kid (or maybe it was the Piggly Wiggly version, but who cares). She got really upset when she overheard me telling one of my friends about her food stamps.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I was broke and living in Vancouver and stole poo poo loads of stuff from self checkout and never commented on people obviously stealing poo poo from stores I worked at.

I also never upsold anything and spent a good hour and a half in the toilet every shift cause gently caress your $11 an hour job.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

GotLag posted:

When I worked checkout I was supposed to ask every customer who didn't use our rewards card if they wanted to sign up for one. But if they wanted it they'd already have it, and if they didn't want it they'd get annoyed, so I literally never asked.

these days if you just say "no" when they ask if you have a loyalty card they just say "okay" because the implication is that you also do not want one.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

these days if you just say "no" when they ask if you have a loyalty card they just say "okay" because the implication is that you also do not want one.

I like when I say I don’t have my card and the lady at the register uses hers. she must have so many free gas points

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my grocery has a regular cheese case in the back but in the front they stock Fancy Cheeses and every time I deign to buy some brie they ask me to join their Cheese Buyers Club. no thank you. fuckin freaks.

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

i am harry posted:

I like when I say I don’t have my card and the lady at the register uses hers. she must have so many free gas points

i am now suspicious of any interaction with retail employees you self-report

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

ya really stepped in it this time. can't just go around talking about interactions you've had with capitalism that sucked rear end without prostrating yourself before cspam.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
It's their policy. That means it's nobody's fault.

Nobody within reach anyway.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
When I shop, I simply give away all my items to the cashier because, let's be honest, they deserve them more than me. I don't pay for them because it's against my ideals, but it's a powerful gesture.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

just steal more from them to get your value back????????????

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

The fred meyer near my house has gone full surveillance cop mode. They put overhead cameras above each self checkout that are presumably always recording. I scanned one of those little plastic containers of rosemary and tossed it into my bag, and it was too light to set off the weight detection or whatever and the machine kept asking me to bag the item. The attendant came over and had to watch the video of me scanning and bagging before he could press the button to let me keep going.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I saw a dude at Costco losing his mind over the self checkout weight sensor. all I saw as I walked by him (on my way to get a hot dog) was a wild look in his eyes as he slammed a 48 pack of tri-ply down on the scale, right on top of the rest of his stuff.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Thank God those machines are saving them so much money on labor

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

thalweg posted:

The fred meyer near my house has gone full surveillance cop mode. They put overhead cameras above each self checkout that are presumably always recording. I scanned one of those little plastic containers of rosemary and tossed it into my bag, and it was too light to set off the weight detection or whatever and the machine kept asking me to bag the item. The attendant came over and had to watch the video of me scanning and bagging before he could press the button to let me keep going.

that is horrendous

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

thalweg posted:

Lmao

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

thalweg posted:

this is the poo poo that makes me berserk, you're already making me do the labor you used to have a cashier and bagger for, why the gently caress are you also making it a huge pain my goddamn rear end?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I saw a dude at Costco losing his mind over the self checkout weight sensor. all I saw as I walked by him (on my way to get a hot dog) was a wild look in his eyes as he slammed a 48 pack of tri-ply down on the scale, right on top of the rest of his stuff.

a hero to us all

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

At the self checkout, the teenagers are always super tired and just click okay as fast as possible. Self Scan has automated random checks, and they also don't give a poo poo, so at best they catch if you accidentally scanned something without bagging it. I'm pretty sure I've accidentally shoplifted because something didn't scan at some point.

I guess in corporate, this means that there should be checks on the teenagers to make sure they aren't phoning it in. Luckily, so far Danish corporate has decided that it's not worth the hassle.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My local store has gone completely off the rails. Instead of asking politely, the self checkouts now yell at you in the voice of Jame Gumb from Silence of the Lambs, "Put the loving item in the bagging area!!!"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The only actual way to completely prevent theft at self checkouts would be to have a dedicated employee standing at each self checkout kiosk, and you'd walk up and present your items to them, and they'd scan each and every one for you

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The only actual way to completely prevent theft at self checkouts would be to have a dedicated employee standing at each self checkout kiosk, and you'd walk up and present your items to them, and they'd scan each and every one for you

hmm sounds expensive

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

As long as everything is being recorded, catching you at the time of checkout isn't terribly important. They can just go back months to find some people to prosecute and, true or not, you're left with the choice between somehow proving you didn't steal a banana last June and joining the criminal caste

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I have some bad news for you about the expected success rate of that plan. Not that I've ever seen anything.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hands off the rosemary. Step away from the kiosk. Slowly with your hands behind your head.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

DROP THE AVOCADO. YOU HAVE TWENTY SECONDS TO COMPLY.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

You then get shot anyway because the weight sensor is half busted and can't tell the avocado is on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Someone get Raytheon onto the self checkout market, if the weight is off, you will get shot automatically.