Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

It was very evident from the fact that she had the same score as the top four in the men’s contest that distance wasn’t the issue. She lost to the best shooter of all time by a relatively small margin. It was dismissive and lmao at the idea that Kenny said anything of substance.

This is also a time where the most famous female basketball player shoots from Steph range regularly. We’re probably not far from the WNBA line moving to NBA distance.

She matched the top four with a smaller ball and she did worse in the later racks, more than likely because she was fatigued shooting from further away. Kenny felt like apples-to-apples would be her shooting from her normal 3-pt line; not the most controversial thing I’ve ever heard. If that’s sexist then the WNBA should use the NBA ball and shoot from the NBA line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
She's also, as was pointed out on the broadcast, not in game shape because it's the middle of her offseason.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Well the whole thing was her idea so the onus was kind of on her to be in the right shape.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

you're a misogynist, hth

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Put Sabrina and Clark into the contest proper next year. Go to 10 if you have to.

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007
It didn’t help that Kenny was kind of being a dickhead the entire broadcast and people were tired of it. I won’t use the scary s-word but it wasn’t necessary commentary after Sabrina’s performance and I definitely wouldn’t call it substantive.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
He was annoying as hell during the dunk contest too. And yeah we don’t need company men just fawning over everything but also it’s the loving all star game. I swear basketball has the worst internal dialogues about how everything is bad, the game used to be better, why small markets suck etc. you’d think that the guys would simply just be trying to sell a good time rather than be a sourpuss. But that’s just me!!!

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007

soggybagel posted:

He was annoying as hell during the dunk contest too. And yeah we don’t need company men just fawning over everything but also it’s the loving all star game. I swear basketball has the worst internal dialogues about how everything is bad, the game used to be better, why small markets suck etc. you’d think that the guys would simply just be trying to sell a good time rather than be a sourpuss. But that’s just me!!!

100% this, another reason why it’s funny to imply people just want cheerleaders as announcers. Most of them just complain about everything. I don’t even think nba teams themselves care as much about market size as nba commentators

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

RandomHodge posted:

100% this, another reason why it’s funny to imply people just want cheerleaders as announcers. Most of them just complain about everything

i just want an nfl level of positivity, where bad plays or mistakes are criticized but the announcers don't openly poo poo on the concept of a given matchup or an entire generation of players/playstyles and negative comments don't make up 50% of the airtime

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
NFL announcers are not nearly as critical as they should be, especially compared to something like European football. But there are some good ones.

But yes people seem to want cheerleaders, especially NBA fans. ESPN getting rid of JVG was totally random of course, and not at all related to how he was one of two people who’d actually criticize the league (the only other being Barkely, but he’s untouchable). The fact that they have now replaced him with JJ Reddick—one of the biggest fluffers—is also a coincidence.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
JVG was critical of the league for his whole announcing career. It became a problem by the end because he talked like he would rather kill himself than watch another NBA game or would spend half the game talking about random topics. There is a middle ground between being a fluffer and telling the audience that they shouldn't be watching the product.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I watched a lot of games he did last year and I’d disagree with that characterization, but ymmv

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, I hate most of the people the NBA has on it's flagship shows because like they don't actually seem to like the modern NBA.

I'm fine with people being critical or whatever, but don't make people dumber. Get people who can explain why something is happening or why it's a mistake,but don't opine about the "good old days" or whatever.

Talk about the game that's infront of you.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Dexo posted:

Yeah, I hate most of the people the NBA has on it's flagship shows because like they don't actually seem to like the modern NBA.

I'm fine with people being critical or whatever, but don't make people dumber. Get people who can explain why something is happening or why it's a mistake,but don't opine about the "good old days" or whatever.

Talk about the game that's infront of you.

100 percent there is so much loving good ol' days chatter in the NBA ecosystem. There's a completely fine and normal way to be both critical of some of the ways the modern game is being played and officiated today but the constant rehashing of the same loving talking points every week gets old. Lots of fun stuff happens in the NBA every week and yet every other week you'll still have a "WHO'S THE GOAT" argument on some ESPN show. Its wild. And specifically about this weekend, the NBA All-Star weekend is probably the "best" all-star event weekend of the big north american sports too. The 3 point contest is fun. Typically the dunk contest is fun. This should be a weekend where players and media are having fun and celebrating the game. Not being like "well you know she didn't actually shoot with an NBA Ball so..."

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
the mlb all-star game is still the best one by far, nba and nhl occupy a distant second and nfl is way behind in fourth.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The NFL just needs to scrap the entire Pro Bowl thing and just release a list of players who were Pro Bowlers at the end of the season at awards time.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Make it the Pros Vs Joes bowl and I'll tune in

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

The NFL just needs to scrap the entire Pro Bowl thing and just release a list of players who were Pro Bowlers at the end of the season at awards time.

That's what college has done since like forever

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Are they still giving away free tickets if you fill up at Shell stations? Always found it funny that one of the top level sports teams here gets treated like a high school team needing to do bake sales. And I still won't buy overpriced gas when there are so many other options around.

Thorns are cool, I should get a scarf.

I don’t think I’ve seen that giveaway the last season or two but I could be totally wrong, I certainly recall it from years past. Either way their tickets have tended to be pricier and harder to get than the Timbers these days, obviously severe difference in recent success plays a role but the stadium was pretty packed for every Thorns game last year, they’re kinda catching on!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sash! posted:

That's what college has done since like forever

the Australian AFL just has an award night where they do the All Australia team, which is the equivalent to the All-NBA/All-Pro teams. I'm sure the big brains in NFL's NY headquarters can figure out how to promote, organize, and fit such a thing into the off-season schedule to drive another week of sports talk on ESPN back towards the shield :v:

or yeah like the All American teams, just announce it and call it good. Merge "Pro Bowl" and "All Pro" or something, the event isn't serving anyone at this point.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skill competitions are the way to go. Just ditch the games entirely because nobody wants to get injured playing in them. Plus the skill stuff plays to the player's pride and competitive nature while having way less chance of injury

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Still convinced we could have ended the dunk contest after Vince Carter.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

FlamingLiberal posted:

They’ll keep it around because even if hardcore fans hate it, the thing still draws TV viewers every year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fartknocker posted:

They’ll keep it around because even if hardcore fans hate it, the thing still draws TV viewers every year.

Less and less of them, though

Granted yeah what else are you going to run in February against it but it’s definitely shrinking across the board in popularity both among casual and hardcore fans.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

fartknocker posted:

Did moving it before the super bowl help ratings? I remember they did it to make the game "more serious" or something.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

soggybagel posted:

100 percent there is so much loving good ol' days chatter in the NBA ecosystem. There's a completely fine and normal way to be both critical of some of the ways the modern game is being played and officiated today but the constant rehashing of the same loving talking points every week gets old. Lots of fun stuff happens in the NBA every week and yet every other week you'll still have a "WHO'S THE GOAT" argument on some ESPN show. Its wild. And specifically about this weekend, the NBA All-Star weekend is probably the "best" all-star event weekend of the big north american sports too. The 3 point contest is fun. Typically the dunk contest is fun. This should be a weekend where players and media are having fun and celebrating the game. Not being like "well you know she didn't actually shoot with an NBA Ball so..."

Yeah i think Jeff has always had this problem with teams that didn't work like how he ran his teams in the 90s and having the entire announcing team be a bunch of 90s basketball guys who clamor for the dead ball era makes for a poor broadcast. I don't mind one or two of that kind of guy, but pick the best one or two and have other people actually understand 5-out spacing and something other than "he needs to be a physical grown man move post player if he wants to win"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

harperdc posted:

the Australian AFL just has an award night where they do the All Australia team, which is the equivalent to the All-NBA/All-Pro teams. I'm sure the big brains in NFL's NY headquarters can figure out how to promote, organize, and fit such a thing into the off-season schedule to drive another week of sports talk on ESPN back towards the shield :v:

or yeah like the All American teams, just announce it and call it good. Merge "Pro Bowl" and "All Pro" or something, the event isn't serving anyone at this point.

australian rugby has by far the best "all star" competition in any sport to the extent that some people care more about it than the league itself, but you can't really duplicate that without the kind of regional dynamics the sport has

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

DJExile posted:

Less and less of them, though

Granted yeah what else are you going to run in February against it but it’s definitely shrinking across the board in popularity both among casual and hardcore fans.

Yeah, but IIRC it still gets more viewers than poo poo like MLB or NHL playoff games prior to the World Series/Stanley Cup finals because its NFL related. Hell, it's a mild joke every August that the Hall of Fame game, which is an extra preseason game with 3rd and 4th string dudes on a Thursday night that really only true degenerates (:wave:) should watch, sometimes gets 4-5 million people watching and sometimes out draws key playoff games from other sports.

Forrest on Fire posted:

Did moving it before the super bowl help ratings? I remember they did it to make the game "more serious" or something.

Yes. Here's numbers prior to this year quickly taken from one of the first Google results:

Now, a few things about those numbers: The lows in 2004-2006 correspond with the Pro Bowl being only on ESPN rather than network TV, the previous decade it had been on ABC. The next three years, the same network that did the Super Bowl had the rights, so it went through CBS, Fox, and NBC from 2007-2009 and saw some increases.

2010 is when it went to before the Super Bowl, and back to ESPN, and that gave it a boost. It went up more the next year on Fox, then was still high the next three years on NBC. 2015 is when it dropped again, which was when it went back to ESPN (Where it's stayed since) and was the 2nd year of the unconferenced format. It stayed reasonably steady for a few years, even as everyone complained about the lack of effort by the players, lack of players from Super Bowl teams, more and more players just choosing not to go so you're seeing 4th and 5th alternates at key spots, and all that. They didn't play in 2021 due to COVID, then the last normal game that was played in 2022 had the ratings go down further as the complaints about it being clear the players mostly didn't give a gently caress and injury/replacement guys going (This was the year Mac Jones got in as a replacement, for example).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmfao I love you Charles Barkley

quote:

“We got so many idiots fools and jackasses on television now, everybody has to have a hot take,” Barkley ranted before urging everyone to stop measuring Patrick Mahomes with Tom Brady or Andy Reid with Bill Belichick.

“Let me tell you how stupid some of these guys are on television,” Barkley said as he transitioned to talking about his favorite fool. “You know how much I hate Skip Bayless. I hate him with every fiber. Sometimes he makes me want to gain weight back so I can hate him with even more weight.”

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

That’s some top tier hatin

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

DJExile posted:

lmfao I love you Charles Barkley

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/BirdsEyeSports/status/1759596326851895370

:unsmith:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Ungratek posted:

That’s some top tier hatin

I'm not getting fat I'm putting on my hatin' weight.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

australian rugby has by far the best "all star" competition in any sport to the extent that some people care more about it than the league itself, but you can't really duplicate that without the kind of regional dynamics the sport has

Yeah the State of Origin in league is almost an international match more than an all-star game. It’s so embedded into the denizens of those states, it reminds me of college football, except Bluey doesn’t have a college football episode :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike Hall, the season 1 winner of "Dream Job", posted a fantastic thread looking back at his time on that show and his run on Sportscenter.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rob Parker and B.J. Armstrong are launching a Black sports radio station in Detroit with the hopes of it evolving into a network across the largest Black markets.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...it/72683617007/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good on them, WXYT had been kind of a throwaway station for a while.

Awfulannouncing posted:

Parker hopes to launch the new Sports Rap Radio lineup in mid-May. The lineup will be local from 7am – 7pm with Fox Sports Radio’s The Odd Couple featuring Parker and Chris Broussard airing at its normal time of 7 – 10pm. For the overnight hours, Parker plans to air podcasts featuring Black hosts.

To be local the whole day is pretty impressive in this day and age. Detroit isn’t a small market but they’re not exactly Chicago these days either. I’ll be fascinated to see who they get as hosts.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Henchman of Santa posted:

Rob Parker and B.J. Armstrong are launching a Black sports radio station in Detroit with the hopes of it evolving into a network across the largest Black markets.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...it/72683617007/

I know another B.J. Armstrong and had a brief vision of a naval officer who looks like Paul McCrane announcing Detroit sports.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

Good on them, WXYT had been kind of a throwaway station for a while.

To be local the whole day is pretty impressive in this day and age. Detroit isn’t a small market but they’re not exactly Chicago these days either. I’ll be fascinated to see who they get as hosts.

Definitely doable with all four major sports (though I can't speak to the Black community caring about the Wings, I also don't know poo poo about hockey) and two major college programs. Could probably dip into high school too if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I'm still not sure why someone like Byron Allen hasn't bought the broadcast rights to HBCU athletics and tried to roll a bunch of stuff up into a Black Culture type streamer