Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Geemer posted:

Wow, that Ridley fight really stinks. The puzzle would've been better if the prize was in that cage you wanted to destroy so you wouldn't have to do room transitions each time you attempted a combination.

Yeah, I can see what they were going for and props for trying, but it seems like it's a whiff on the execution of it. If they had just had the a spark be available without jumping it'd probably be pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I give this mod a ton of credit for trying to be something a casual player can complete as I feel there are a ton of mods that boil down to the author thinking the original work wasn't hard enough. Needing to jump to get the spark (and the cold damaging you there) feels like arbitrary difficulty which I think the mod otherwise sidesteps rather well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The Ridley fight seemed fine to me? Sure, jumping means you can't shoot him as often, but also you don't have to shoot him very many times. He died plenty quickly enough.

The laser puzzle, though, was definitely something that needed to have no door transitions. I get wanting to put some distance between the mirrors and lasers so that the player doesn't just brute-force it, but this was a bit much.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

At the risk of sounding a little bit too wink-wink nudge-nudge, that is far from the most obnoxious puzzle in this hack. Thankfully the others aren't required to beat the game, but I think they might be for 100%.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I actually liked that puzzle. Having to go back to the statue room to figure out how things work wasn't a great choice, but that's more limited once you figure out what's going on and how it works. There's really only one puzzle I actively disliked and that was mostly because it was trying to do something the base game doesn't handle very well. Fortunately it's optional.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I feel like if the sparks were at ground level instead of needing you to jump, you'd just stand in one spot and shoot repeatedly and it would be kinda boring.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think, MAYBE, the original version the sparks they had there were the kind that had the occasional spark drop off because that's what I remember doing

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 22: Metroid maintenance engineers hard at work

Give them hardhats to protect their squishy membranes!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
So how long until you go for that last one way the heck off to the far left? :v: Especially with the last visor!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
One thing I like about this game is it rewards exploring everywhere you've been whenever you get a significant upgrade. If you remember and note where things are blocked off, the Accel Charges in particular are a little more evenly spaced out. Although the one below your ship is a bit unfair

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 24, 2024

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Between marking the items on your map and all the little extra paths to get around, I found the cleanup phase of this hack a lot more fun than usual.

Do you plan to go for 100%, FP?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

FPzero posted:

Episode 22: Metroid maintenance engineers hard at work

Give them hardhats to protect their squishy membranes!

That's how you get Alpha Metroids

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

You should go for 100%, FP.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Kurui Reiten posted:

:hmmyes:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think the Energy Tanks start giving you half a tank around 10 or so

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Kurui Reiten posted:

:dudsmile:

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
I look forward to seeing how many times FP carpetbombs suspicious parts of a room even with the x-ray visor available and/or no missing items being located around where the room is. It's become one of the things I look forward to in the videos because it's the kind of thing I'd probably still be doing as well out of habit.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 23: We blew up Rocky Road Ridge (and more)

And that does it for the main game! But we're not done yet, as I've caught wind of something I definitely want to check out next episode... Stay tuned.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

All the stuff in the space station + the two ships are never missable, they just crash down to the surface along with the two ships. You know how some of those odd nooks in some surface rooms that looked like there *should* be something but there isn’t? Stuff you missed gets spread out into specific spots, including some of those nooks.

But yeah, Subversion kicks rear end, it’s definitely my favorite super metroid romhack.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
GG, thanks for the LP!

My overall thoughts: this is very clearly a thoroughly thought-out hack. Perhaps overthought-out :v:

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I got really curious about that missing beam.

Good lord.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I can understand most of the criticisms y'all had about the hack. I agree with some, but one thing I wasn't a fan of was the pacing at the ending. I felt like blowing up the space station should catapult you to the ending, but you have to at the very least take care of Ridley, which kinda kills the momentum. And I think Draygon is actually optional.

And there's something I didn't see when you pulled up the start menu at the beginning, which confused me. Unless they changed the name to "Hard Mode". I also don't know what "The Forbidden Room" is

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 28, 2024

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Free ROMhack idea - Samus evading the space insurance trade union as they hunt her down so that she'll stop bankrupting them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure that Samus is one of those "acts of God" that the contract specifies the seller is not responsible for.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mostly because they were tired of the Space Pirates and their multiple attempts of doing insurance fraud involving her.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Plot twist, Samus and the Space Pirates are anti-Capitalists and have been working together the whole time

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

pointlessone posted:

I got really curious about that missing beam.

Good lord.

I'd also really like to know about this missing beam. It's too high up the list to be deliberately skipped over.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

DoubleNegative posted:

I'd also really like to know about this missing beam. It's too high up the list to be deliberately skipped over.

Big huge missing beam spoiler From what I read, there's an entire secret collectable gathering mini quest after getting the x-ray scope to unlock a completely extra area that gives you the hyper beam as a toggle on/off after a bonus boss.

The author/authors of this hack clearly love metroidvanias.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, this was quite the romhack. So much thought and care has gone into it and it shows, and yeah, some things seem a bit shoehorned in, but by and large everything works really well.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

pointlessone posted:

Big huge missing beam spoiler From what I read, there's an entire secret collectable gathering mini quest after getting the x-ray scope to unlock a completely extra area that gives you the hyper beam as a toggle on/off after a bonus boss.

The author/authors of this hack clearly love metroidvanias.

Not quite, but not that far off. The extra item over to the far left of ocean land is there to lure you to the optional area, which itself contains the collectible quest. The prize is basically replacing the Charge Beam with the Hyper Beam, and with all the Accel Charges you basically get to rapid fire that poo poo..

There's so much more than just that, though. Can't say much more without hinting too heavily, but wow it's great listening to the videos while knowing what they don't.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

There's even more?!? Man, this is an impressive as heck romhack.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 24: An extended Beach Episode

Where's all the fun in the sun? The swimsuits? The traditional smashing a watermelon on the beach? These Chozo don't know how to party at all.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
The Hyrule Warriors Wind Waker medley does indeed have Dragon Roost in it. It's very good!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I always thought that thingie that lights up in the Chozo Statue was an ear but is it actually an eye?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Epicmissingno posted:

The Hyrule Warriors Wind Waker medley does indeed have Dragon Roost in it. It's very good!

There are two Wind Waker tracks. First one is Title & Dragon Roost Island, second is Molgara. Both of them are bangers.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Suzi Island is just a really cool (and surprisingly substantial) extra area, and they hid it very well. There’s exactly one part that I don’t really like about it and it’s the room that they’re entering at the very end of the episode. The puzzle in there is kinda neat, but mostly annoying in practice. Other than that, it’s a pretty cool and unique area. You don’t usually get a bright tropical reef type area like this in Metroid.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, I'm hoping there is actually a nice beach area. Like a medium-sized bit of gently sloping sand, no enemies, just a little bit of calm.
I always love this sort of stuff - it's optional content that is nicely hidden but not of the "hey you must be a good player so here's a frustratingly difficult challenge" variety. I was almost expecting some really obscure poo poo like the ciphers and overlapping rooms from Environmental Station Alpha.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Crazy Achmed posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping there is actually a nice beach area. Like a medium-sized bit of gently sloping sand, no enemies, just a little bit of calm.
I always love this sort of stuff - it's optional content that is nicely hidden but not of the "hey you must be a good player so here's a frustratingly difficult challenge" variety. I was almost expecting some really obscure poo poo like the ciphers and overlapping rooms from Environmental Station Alpha.

Nah.

Although...

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 25: Puzzle Masters

You wouldn't download a cryptographic key or seven, would you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The noise that you made when you first saw seven was amazing.

Also the item you were having trouble getting Is accessed from the right, there's just an invisible morph ball tunnel