Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's so drat close that it's either my memory being flawed (duh), or I guess on the outside James Horner maybe pulling the exact same trick in another soundtrack somewhere else. It scratches the itch either way, thank you!

I've never seen it but I'm still certain that the movie you're thinking of is 48 hrs. It's got a James Horner score and it has Nick Nolte in it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Currently streaming a suite of the 48 Hrs soundtrack. So far haven't heard steel drums, though there's a couple moments where it really sounded like it was about to.

Right now it's sounding like a funky version of Khan's music from Star Trek II played by a jazz band.

EDIT: Steel drums spotted! On track "Following Luther."

This one also sounds like a funky version of Khan's music from Star Trek II (the ominous low notes with the horn, not the shrieking warcry motif that sounds like the spinning transition from the 60s Batman TV show) played by a jazz band, but this time with added synth "digital" beeps and more strings. Oh, and steel drums.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 16, 2024

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

This is the exact thing I was thinking about vvvv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edp7yVhdHvA

Thank you all very much!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Flipperwaldt posted:

This is the exact thing I was thinking about vvvv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edp7yVhdHvA

Thank you all very much!

Hey you're welcome! And what's more, since this is a Horner score there is a high probability he went and used steel drums in a similar fashion in, like, two more movies, regardless whether they had any connection to the movie's setting at all! :D

I'm also reading that around this time Irvin Kershner wanted to hire Horner for Never Say Never Again, but Sean Connery having been granted obscene powers over the production, vetoed that because Horner was new and his 48 Hrs score had Connery fearing he would've given it a similar funky jazzy dated early 80s sound. So they went with the safe pick of veteran Oscar winner Michael Legrand... who proceeded to give the movie a dated early 80s smooth jazz elevator muzack score. Allegedly Connery later confessed that if he'd had heard Horner's Star Trek II score he would've been happy to have him on composing duties.

My god, we were THIS close to having a James Horner Bond score! The possibilities...

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

My god, we were THIS close to having a James Horner Bond score! The possibilities...

Horner... James Horner.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Hey you're welcome! And what's more, since this is a Horner score there is a high probability he went and used steel drums in a similar fashion in, like, two more movies, regardless whether they had any connection to the movie's setting at all! :D

I'm also reading that around this time Irvin Kershner wanted to hire Horner for Never Say Never Again, but Sean Connery having been granted obscene powers over the production, vetoed that because Horner was new and his 48 Hrs score had Connery fearing he would've given it a similar funky jazzy dated early 80s sound. So they went with the safe pick of veteran Oscar winner Michael Legrand... who proceeded to give the movie a dated early 80s smooth jazz elevator muzack score. Allegedly Connery later confessed that if he'd had heard Horner's Star Trek II score he would've been happy to have him on composing duties.

Ha, that's neat. I'm actually happy we made the Commando detour, I would never have known about the similarity. It's funny how much excellence at something leans on having a big bag of tricks. And I guess I'm mistaking Gary Busey for Nick Nolte with the Point Break reference. Who do not look much alike, but sorta share a type in those movies?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
When I was a kid I found a screenplay online called “Lu & Sambo: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Slavery”. It was about two African-American slaves from the antebellum south who are put into suspended animation by their mad scientist master, and are somehow reanimated in the late 90’s, when the screenplay was written. It was ungodly how lovely and insensitive it was. I don’t remember the name of the writer but I remember I found a lead a few years ago that he was a Palestinian-American guy who is or was an online cult leader of some sort.

Please know that I intend to laugh at how bad it is, I am not interested in it because I think its inept racial satire is good or something. It doesn’t matter anyway, I’m 90% sure it’s completely scrubbed from the internet.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Livo posted:

This would be far simpler to look up in the day before lovely SEO optimised search engines. There was a short .gif or video roughly 15 years ago made from the first Scream movie & Return of the Jedi combined. The video has the girl stuck in the garage door, who then dies jammed against the ceiling as the door is opened. The very next scene after her death is Han Solo shrugging with a nonchalant look on his face as he's trying to re-wire the bunker keypad. I thought I had a copy of it on an old folder but no luck. Does anyone remember this or have a copy of it?

The first GIS result for scream garage door han solo gif (spoiled for folks squeamish about horror movie death):

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

After Lizzo and Jack Black appeared in the Mandalorian, someone made a pharmaceutical commercial with the footage. I've searched YouTube, Instagram and TikTok but no luck. If someone could find this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Edit: disregard, found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8toy2cwWjW8

CaptainBeefart fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 16, 2024

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I remember back in the early 90s' I saw a tv commercial for basically a velcro handle you can stick to the back of a small dog to help carry them up stairs, ect. I don't remember registering it as a parody, but I was dumb as poo poo and did watch a lot of Comedy Channel/Comedy Central back then (I can't remember if it had changed names yet). It seems like it would be somewhat easy to search for, but apparently "velcro dog" is a term for a clingy dog now so it fucks up my search results.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 16, 2024

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I’m trying to remember a song/music video. The title is a something in latin, I think, and the music video cuts between a woman doing aerobics while singing the female parts and a mildly creepy animation of a man’s face singing the men’s. The song isn’t that old, maybe released in the 2010s?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

mysterious frankie posted:

I’m trying to remember a song/music video. The title is a something in latin, I think, and the music video cuts between a woman doing aerobics while singing the female parts and a mildly creepy animation of a man’s face singing the men’s. The song isn’t that old, maybe released in the 2010s?

FOUND IT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98XRKr19jIE

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

Blue Moonlight posted:

The first GIS result for scream garage door han solo gif (spoiled for folks squeamish about horror movie death):

Thank you so much! I normally use Duckduckgo or other non Google engines for regular non-image searches, so dumb me didn't think to do a proper image search with Google Images. It seems the GIS is a bit better than image searches on other engines.

Well I'm an idiot

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Been looking all day for this youtube channel, it's usually just his face as complete flat black shadow or close to, with only visible teeth and eyeglasses which are pure white. I think he even had a video no how he does the effect. Searching only got me crud about shiny anime glasses or how to make glasses that glow or weird creepypasta commenter channels. I think his videos had something to do with VFX or production of media over reading crap from reddit. Seemed like high effort deals, not just a talking head churning out videos every month/week/day. He had a super sinister gravelly voice effect and used really exaggerated poses and mouth shapes and kind of staccato frame timing to make it feel more animated or dynamic motion. I don't think he was obscure or anything either, just can't find it at all now. At one point I thought his real name might've been James but that made searches much worse. Searching teeth at all always got me to real images of dental exams n poo poo.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Been looking all day for this youtube channel, it's usually just his face as complete flat black shadow or close to, with only visible teeth and eyeglasses which are pure white. I think he even had a video no how he does the effect. Searching only got me crud about shiny anime glasses or how to make glasses that glow or weird creepypasta commenter channels. I think his videos had something to do with VFX or production of media over reading crap from reddit. Seemed like high effort deals, not just a talking head churning out videos every month/week/day. He had a super sinister gravelly voice effect and used really exaggerated poses and mouth shapes and kind of staccato frame timing to make it feel more animated or dynamic motion. I don't think he was obscure or anything either, just can't find it at all now. At one point I thought his real name might've been James but that made searches much worse. Searching teeth at all always got me to real images of dental exams n poo poo.

James Lee? Looks like you were very close.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

This guy? Edit: ^ :bahgawd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJBEAZFP0aA

Well since we're here I have to say I find that guy's whole shtick incredibly off-putting. Like, I see the effort he's put in. He has a vision. I just hate it.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 20, 2024

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Holy hell, that guy undeniably puts tremendous care into perfectly crafting something unbelievably, gratingly awful. It's so actively repulsive that I both respect and loathe him.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Someone’s most formative sexual experience was Sin City, wasn’t it?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I have a few:

1. A digital copy of the magazine this Another Code: Two Memories ad is from:

I've had this hanging on my wall for over a decade now. if you couldn't tell by how beat up it is. As a kid, I'd visit my nan in England and always pick up copies of N64 (Later NGC) Magazine and later Nintendo Official Magazine UK. I thought it was brilliant how this page was printed upside-down to look like Blood Edward Island, revealing a skull when you flip it, and I immediately went to the local game store and bought a copy of Another Code: Two Memories (Trace Memory in the US, the inferior version :mad:). At some point I tore this out of the magazine in question, and it's a good thing I did because the magazines have long since been lost in a move. On the back of this page is half of a two-page ad for Medal Of Honor: European Assault. I thought this was in NGC (this would have been around July 2005) but none of the issues I looked at seemed to match up at all. I can't find any issues of NOMUK from that time period, either. I just want to see if there's an extremely-high-quality version of this ad out there and to figure out exactly what it's from.

2. A Team Rocket fan-site I would visit in the early-00s
My friends and I would often visit each other and just go hopping around the internet looking for stuff and at one point we found this Team Rocket fansite that contained downloadable clips from Pokemon. The site itself might have been named after Nyaasu No Party/Meowth's Party, because that's definitely how we found it. Yeah, we were those kids who thought we had hallucinated it and were digging up answers. Anyway, not only did the site contain the original Japanese Meowth's Party video and a translation of the lyrics, it also contained a video showing the time James's voice actor backmasked "4Kids Are The Devil" into a moment where James gets eaten by his Victreebell, as well as a few AMVs - specifically one I was able to find elsewhere, set to Sucks To Be You by Prozzak. Another thing I remember is that there was a fan-voice-skit called Making An Ash Of Himself that I've been able to find on Archive.org but I don't know if that was ever hosted on the site in question or if it was an affiliated site, because I remember the site I got it from looking different.

3. This movie I only vaguely remember:
Originally posted in the CD movie thread to no response. Starting to think I dreamed it up.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I don't know if this is what the movie was about in its entirety but I have this vague recollection of a film where a woman is hired on a construction site and keeps getting harassed at the workplace for being a woman. I think it was a serious film, and I only really remember there being a scene where she's in a porta-potty and they're messing with it somehow, possibly rocking it or threatening to tip it. None of my searches are pulling anything up. I think I saw this on an imdb page or maybe I caught some of it on TV? It would have been around 2010 that I heard about it but I think the movie's older than that.

4. Fissunix's entire song catalogue:
When I was in college, around 2013, there was a mashup artist on YouTube that made some really cool stuff. His name was Fissunix, and the ones I remember most are a really high-energy mashup of Blaze of Glory by Bon Jovi and a few other songs that I don't recognize and one using Let There Be Rock by AC/DC (these both might be buried on one of my old iPods), and one I thankfully have saved called End Of The Walrus, a mashup of Tron: Legacy and I Am The Walrus. By Googling you can find some of his old stuff on various Soundcloud-esque knockoff sites, a handful on Internet Archive, etc. but his original site and channel that contained full liner notes for all his stuff is gone. Would love to recover all of it.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 24, 2024

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I have a few:

1. A digital copy of the magazine this Another Code: Two Memories ad is from:

I've had this hanging on my wall for over a decade now. if you couldn't tell by how beat up it is. As a kid, I'd visit my nan in England and always pick up copies of N64 (Later NGC) Magazine and later Nintendo Official Magazine UK. I thought it was brilliant how this page was printed upside-down to look like Blood Edward Island, revealing a skull when you flip it, and I immediately went to the local game store and bought a copy of Another Code: Two Memories (Trace Memory in the US, the inferior version :mad:). At some point I tore this out of the magazine in question, and it's a good thing I did because the magazines have long since been lost in a move. On the back of this page is half of a two-page ad for Medal Of Honor: European Assault. I thought this was in NGC (this would have been around July 2005) but none of the issues I looked at seemed to match up at all. I can't find any issues of NOMUK from that time period, either. I just want to see if there's an extremely-high-quality version of this ad out there and to figure out exactly what it's from.

It's in the NGC magazine, issue 110 from September 2005, which you can download as a cbz file here: https://www.nintendomags.com/magazines/ngc-magazine/issue110/ :)

I've extracted the image which you can get here. I didn't put it on imgur or any of the other image sharing sites since they scale it down.

Dumb Sex-Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 24, 2024

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

3. This movie I only vaguely remember:

North Country?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Holy poo poo, you're both amazing!! I have no idea how I never stumbled upon that exact NGC issue in my search - I guess in my mind it was too late by then and it probably wasn't up last time I attempted a deep dive. And yeah, that's the movie - I found the scene on Youtube! Thank you both!!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Holy poo poo, you're both amazing!! I have no idea how I never stumbled upon that exact NGC issue in my search - I guess in my mind it was too late by then and it probably wasn't up last time I attempted a deep dive. And yeah, that's the movie - I found the scene on Youtube! Thank you both!!

Magazines often have their listed months be much later than the actual date they were in stores or published for, and I don't know why. It's definitely a thing that the "September" issue actually was early June.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Arivia posted:

Magazines often have their listed months be much later than the actual date they were in stores or published for, and I don't know why. It's definitely a thing that the "September" issue actually was early June.

That would explain it. I was usually only around for two weeks, and never in-between issues, but I guess this time I was in the country just in time for the switch since I definitely remember owning the issue prior.

The only discrepancy here is that it seems like the ad in this issue is on its own rather than on the back of the Medal of Honor: European Assault ad, but I would assume that's just missing scan pages or something.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Arivia posted:

The cover date on magazines and comics was the 'pull date'. If you were dressing a stand of that kind of publication, any issues that were in the current month would get taken out or 'pulled' to make room for the newest issue.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Okay, last update, but it turns out, the specific version of the ad on my wall was in fact from NOM UK! Specifically, issue 155 from July 2005. I found it on archive.org.

https://archive.org/details/nom155/page/n3/mode/2up

Right there, complete with the two-page Medal of Honor: European Assault ad before it! I guess last time I did a deep dive it hadn't been archived.

The NGC scan had the ad in way better quality, though, so I still really appreciate the effort put into ripping that for me. The thing that's tripping me up is that, as mentioned, I would only be in the area for two weeks at a time and usually in June and July, and yet I obviously owned this issue, but also owned the September 2005 NGC and the previous month's issue, and yet for NOM I had July 2005 and September 2005 (I remember the article about the "Revolution" from that issue clearly) and yet no August. If I had to guess, being a kid with only a certain amount of pocket money, I was there in a timeframe where I could pick up the July issue of NOM that was still on the shelf and the newer August issue of NGC, and by the time I was leaving the September issues were at the airport or something... Either way, that's my search for that done.

Thanks again, all!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I feel bad calling this a white whale considering I am sure I downloaded this and have it somewhere but drat if I can find it

A probably-three-panel webcomic, barely above the level of stick figure art (a little Explodingdog, but monochrome I think), with one smiling character touching a second smiling character's face in the first and second panels, saying "remember when I touched your face like this?" and then "remember when you were alive and I would touch your face like this?" and the third panel being the speaking character alone and no longer smiling

Yeah you know "comic" does not seem like an apt description I suppose

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Pitcher Witcher posted:

I've been looking for the name of this educational hunting game. It had a big buff ranger/cop and you had to buy a hunting license, a gun, a gun safe and hunt only the correct animals at the right time or else you would end up in jail. I played it around 1999 or 2000. It also had a shooting gallery mini game where you shoot cartoon ducks with targets on them. The cursor was an open sight of a rifle which you could change the line up of the front sight when shooting. The animals and guns iirc were realistic but the sheriff/ranger was lucas arts games style cartoony. It was 2D with 3D sprites and on PC.

Sorry if this has been answered in the last 90 pages but I didn't see anyone touch it after 5 and it's gonna take me a while to catch up: Could it have been one of Cabela's Big Game Hunter games? They had pc versions and you did have to buy/obey licenses and you could go to jail for shooting the wrong/too many animals. Cabela made a lot of big game Hunter games so I can't say which one was yours, sometimes they even used real footage of animals for you to aim/shoot at, when fmv was more of a thing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There was a clip of I believe a john woo movie (or similar heroic bloodshed type movie) where someone (thinking chow yun fat) had a shotgun on a string and was tossing it around corners and tripping the trigger with it and it was loving badass

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zathril posted:

James Lee? Looks like you were very close.

Thank you, and the person after too. Like getting rid of a splinter. Now I just need to remember why I was trying to find it so much that day besides the annoyance at not being able to remember.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

There was a clip of I believe a john woo movie (or similar heroic bloodshed type movie) where someone (thinking chow yun fat) had a shotgun on a string and was tossing it around corners and tripping the trigger with it and it was loving badass

I feel like this is from the Killer, but I'm not sure. I'm about to start a John Woo marathon this weekend, I'll report back if I find it.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

2. A Team Rocket fan-site I would visit in the early-00s
My friends and I would often visit each other and just go hopping around the internet looking for stuff and at one point we found this Team Rocket fansite that contained downloadable clips from Pokemon. The site itself might have been named after Nyaasu No Party/Meowth's Party, because that's definitely how we found it. Yeah, we were those kids who thought we had hallucinated it and were digging up answers. Anyway, not only did the site contain the original Japanese Meowth's Party video and a translation of the lyrics, it also contained a video showing the time James's voice actor backmasked "4Kids Are The Devil" into a moment where James gets eaten by his Victreebell, as well as a few AMVs - specifically one I was able to find elsewhere, set to Sucks To Be You by Prozzak. Another thing I remember is that there was a fan-voice-skit called Making An Ash Of Himself that I've been able to find on Archive.org but I don't know if that was ever hosted on the site in question or if it was an affiliated site, because I remember the site I got it from looking different.

Do you think it was TRsRockin.com? https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/TRsRockin
I spent a lot of time on this site back in the day, but more for the glitch pages and because it was where I found out about cosplay for the first time.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I feel like this is from the Killer, but I'm not sure. I'm about to start a John Woo marathon this weekend, I'll report back if I find it.

Ooh what are you going to watch?

No sarcasm. I dig them Johnny Woo Chow Yuen Fat joints.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Ooh what are you going to watch?

No sarcasm. I dig them Johnny Woo Chow Yuen Fat joints.

Shooting for a triple feature with the Killer, A Better Tomorrow, and of course Hard Boiled. I loving love me some gun fu.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Shooting for a triple feature with the Killer, A Better Tomorrow, and of course Hard Boiled. I loving love me some gun fu.

Solid. Maybe I'll watch Hard Boiled too.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Tiger on the Beat. You can see it very briefly in the trailer: https://youtu.be/nc7syb7xX5w?feature=shared

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Tiger on the Beat. You can see it very briefly in the trailer: https://youtu.be/nc7syb7xX5w?feature=shared

This movie looks loving amazing

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Pasketti posted:

Do you think it was TRsRockin.com? https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/TRsRockin
I spent a lot of time on this site back in the day, but more for the glitch pages and because it was where I found out about cosplay for the first time.

Definitely not; I might have found TRsRockin through this other site, because I was a regular on there back in the day too. I even had a few (extremely exaggerated) glitch stories posted there. It was such a great website but this other one was very much focused on video clips and had a totally different design.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Definitely not; I might have found TRsRockin through this other site, because I was a regular on there back in the day too. I even had a few (extremely exaggerated) glitch stories posted there. It was such a great website but this other one was very much focused on video clips and had a totally different design.

Is it this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

HOLY poo poo IT ABSOLUTELY IS

The name is so simple and yet it's all coming back to me. I remember the clip categories, the specific "Shippy Clips" section because it was the first time I had heard the term, and more. I wish it was more complete but this is enough. Thank you so, so much.