Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I wonder how many years it'll take for these rubes to figure out being completely unrepentant is a good way to piss off a judge and they don't play with kid mittens when the world isn't watching your trial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:stare: God drat they just can't help themselves huh
https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1761030636163269063?t=GeufZBybcbAXYY6gRy45mg&s=19

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
"What has this person done to you or anyone you care about that would warrant violence as a moral reaction?"

I find asking that results in incoherent anger, and notably, never an answer to the question that isn't so insane you can tell even they don't believe it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

when murder is okay, but swears are a no-no

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It's especially funny when they are posting stuff on Twitter and so :tinfoil: over (((THE ALGORITHM))) they'll post in this incomprehensible leet speak in the hopes of not getting :ninja: SHADOWBANNED :ninja:

They think they are speaking Truth to Power yet hold back an awful lot, huh?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

That's America

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

After a year or two of conservatives calling J6 an op, they sure seem to just now say 'yeah we wanted to overthrow the government'. So that's somewhat refreshing.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

happyhippy posted:

Another decade or two CPAC will be opening with live executions of 'degenerates'.

another decade or two and it'll be CPAP

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

FlamingLiberal posted:

After a year or two of conservatives calling J6 an op, they sure seem to just now say 'yeah we wanted to overthrow the government'. So that's somewhat refreshing.

CPAC has always been where they tell each other the real plan, then spend the rest of the year laundering it to the people who didn't watch

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

FlamingLiberal posted:

An inside job so radical it deserves a pinball machine.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Panfilo posted:

It's especially funny when they are posting stuff on Twitter and so :tinfoil: over (((THE ALGORITHM))) they'll post in this incomprehensible leet speak in the hopes of not getting :ninja: SHADOWBANNED :ninja:

They think they are speaking Truth to Power yet hold back an awful lot, huh?
I posted yesterday/day before about how my comment on a Democrat-centric show got removed in two minutes for being too left. What I didn't mention (and just deleted so as not to doxx myself) is I had the top comment the day before that on the same channel.

Of course the same people who think 1/6 is an inside job knows precisely dick about how the FBI infiltrates leftist circles who sneeze in the direction of achieving anything at relativistic speeds

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Wapo article

How everything became a ‘psyop’ for conservative media

https://news.yahoo.com/everything-became-psyop-conservative-media-150458273.html

quote:

Lately, it’s become popular in conservative media circles to brand certain things as a psychological operation, or “psyop.”

Climate change, for example. Or covid. Or the media coverage of Donald Trump. Or even the prosecution of Hunter Biden.

But conservative media personalities have begun using the term in vaguer and wilder ways, seemingly to allege government conspiracies targeted at American citizens - something that would be illegal, even if any of these theories were remotely plausible.

Fox News host Jesse Watters is perhaps the most influential superspreader of the term. In January, Watters used a just-asking-questions formula to suggest that Taylor Swift is a psyop asset of the Defense Department. How so? He didn’t exactly connect the dots for viewers, but he did note that Swift, who endorsed Joe Biden in 2020, had urged her fans to vote.

Watters acknowledged that his show “obviously has no evidence” for the claim, but he tied it tangentially to a comment made at a 2019 NATO cybersecurity conference, where a speaker mentioned Swift’s social media influence. However, the speaker never claimed that the pop star was a government asset, and the event was not held by the U.S. government.

On other occasions, Watters has seemed to repurpose the word into a fancy way to call something a myth or a falsehood or simply a sinister PR campaign he happens to disagree with. Last summer, he claimed that climate change is “a psyop against the American people by big business and the Democratic Party to worry you into giving you more of their money,” and separately referred to a “decades-long liberal media social psyop that marriage is a broken and dated institution.”

In November, though, it was an even murkier argument about how “control freaks” in the FBI and liberal-leaning Twitter employees constituted an anti-Trump psyop of some kind - though he not only presented no evidence, but he also failed to explain what any of that meant.

Watters’s Fox News colleague Greg Gutfeld has also expressed concern about psyops. In November, he asked panelists on his nightly show whether media coverage of Trump’s potential second term is a “psyop,” though he acknowledged, “I hate using that word, because it puts you in a conspiracy realm.” Nonetheless, a month later, he declared on the panel show “The Five” that social media is a “psyop.”

In appearances in late December, Fox News host Rachel Campos-Duffy spoke of both “the trans psyop” and “the covid psyop” but without any context or explanation of what these things are supposed to mean.

The fact that none of these personalities seems particularly committed to any firm definition of the word may be the point.

Newsmax anchor Rob Schmitt recently referred to the federal indictments against Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) and Hunter Biden and a federal investigation into Rep. Cori Bush (D-Mo.) as a “psyop” to “dupe everybody” into thinking that the criminal charges against Trump are “somehow normal and credible and not strange.” In late January, a host on One America News said that sexually explicit artificial-intelligence-generated images of Swift that circulated online are “another psyop.” A few days earlier, conservative activist Charlie Kirk, who hosts a show on Salem Radio, said he doesn’t really watch movies “because they’re all CIA psychological operation programming.”

Mike Rothschild, an expert in conspiracy theories who wrote a book on QAnon, sees a profit motive in conservative media’s use of the term, which he said is on the rise.

The cynical genius of calling something a “psyop” is that such accusations “don’t really need to have any evidence, because there’s not going to be any evidence: It’s a secret operation.”

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BiggerBoat is clearly a psyop.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I don't think I ever saw them with Walter Koenig or using the phrase "be seeing you." :confused:

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

After The War posted:

I don't think I ever saw them with Walter Koenig or using the phrase "be seeing you." :confused:

Trust the Corps.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Really missed out on calling ball lock (her up), “Stop the Steel”.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Nah hitting the Presidential Pardon row of targets unlocks the Patriot multi ball that got tapped earlier.

Of course you have to get the “win election” bonus first.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I swear to god, man, do the US flag, punisher, AK47, Thin Blue Line decals and obnoxiously loud pipes on F-150's come pre-installed?

I absolutely LOATHE what I see as the ubiquitous performative pseudo patriotism I see everywhere here in NE Florida. It really sucks that the moment I see someone going overboard with USA USA USA branding - or even doing it at all - that I automatically assume they're a fascist. I try REALLY hard not to make snap judgements like that but when someone comes into my work place with a camouflage American flag hat or some poo poo, I can't help myself.

Also, I increasingly notice that the regular old US flag is simply not enough anymore. It'll have red/blue lines, fish, guns patterns, black stripes, camo texture, deer antlers, crosses or whatever the gently caress these goobers are trying to tell us about What They Like, Why It's Cool and Why They're The Salt of the Earth that demands immediate respect.

"Hey, I'm Earl and I love America, fishing and hunting!" so I'm a good person who votes Republican like a True American!"

It's similar to how wound up they get about standing for the anthem, worshipping troops and sucking up to cops. I notice that when they have one of those "I LOVE POLICE" stickers, it's always ALWAYS right there on the rear driver's side so the officer can see it and maybe let the person go with a warning for speeding, rolling coal or violating noise ordinances.

Speaking of that, 20 years ago or so, white rednecks were very VERY up in arms about loud cars - specifically ones that amplified the bass on loud hip hop music - to the point that they actually tried to/succeeded in passing laws about it but, now, every god damned Americamobile I drive past goes out of its way to be as loud as humanly possible.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BiggerBoat posted:

I swear to god, man, do the US flag, punisher, AK47, Thin Blue Line decals and obnoxiously loud pipes on F-150's come pre-installed?

I absolutely LOATHE what I see as the ubiquitous performative pseudo patriotism I see everywhere here in NE Florida. It really sucks that the moment I see someone going overboard with USA USA USA branding - or even doing it at all - that I automatically assume they're a fascist. I try REALLY hard not to make snap judgements like that but when someone comes into my work place with a camouflage American flag hat or some poo poo, I can't help myself.

Also, I increasingly notice that the regular old US flag is simply not enough anymore. It'll have red/blue lines, fish, guns patterns, black stripes, camo texture, deer antlers, crosses or whatever the gently caress these goobers are trying to tell us about What They Like, Why It's Cool and Why They're The Salt of the Earth that demands immediate respect.

"Hey, I'm Earl and I love America, fishing and hunting!" so I'm a good person who votes Republican like a True American!"

It's similar to how wound up they get about standing for the anthem, worshipping troops and sucking up to cops. I notice that when they have one of those "I LOVE POLICE" stickers, it's always ALWAYS right there on the rear driver's side so the officer can see it and maybe let the person go with a warning for speeding, rolling coal or violating noise ordinances.

Speaking of that, 20 years ago or so, white rednecks were very VERY up in arms about loud cars - specifically ones that amplified the bass on loud hip hop music - to the point that they actually tried to/succeeded in passing laws about it but, now, every god damned Americamobile I drive past goes out of its way to be as loud as humanly possible.

It's okay for your big manly engine to be loud and proud, but they draw the line at loud thumping bass because they're loving racists and they don't need to have internal logical consistency.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Taylor Lorenz interviewed the Libs of TikTok lady and she seems really confused in this conversation

also yes, she is apparently wearing a T-shirt picturing Taylor Lorenz crying

https://twitter.com/AriDrennen/status/1761440106651713991?s=20

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I live in Texas and notice it on about 1 in 100 cars. It's pretty drat rare. Most people don't want to mark their cars

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

BiggerBoat posted:

Thank you for periodically reminding me why I don’t want to move back there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BattleHork posted:

Thank you for periodically reminding me why I don’t want to move back there.

It didn't always used to be this way and was a lot more laid back but it's gotten increasingly MAGA over the last decade or so and the shift in overall mood, temperament and...meanness and anger I guess is very palpable . Plus, at least here in St. Johns County, we're getting a LOT of disgruntled New Yorkers, Phillies, Jerseys and Connecticuts who are fleeing the "liberal nightmare" cities they lived in. And, to be fair to them, their reasons aren't entirely ridiculous or irrational but we're getting the worst of the worst from up north, who were miserable people to start with, and who view whatever Desantis is doing down here as a net positive. People who voted for Trump, love guns and the death penalty but live in NY, DE, NJ or whatever but very few religious zealots; at least to my eyes.

Pretty sure that's one of the big reasons that Florida is pretty much blood red now.

That, along with a stunningly inept Democratic Party here in this state but that's a whole other subject.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Taylor Lorenz interviewed the Libs of TikTok lady and she seems really confused in this conversation

also yes, she is apparently wearing a T-shirt picturing Taylor Lorenz crying

https://twitter.com/AriDrennen/status/1761440106651713991?s=20

Seems like a lot of people are pretty mad at her for interviewing her at all. I'm a bit torn, as I don't think it's a bad interview and probably the best that can be done, but this lady is a monster with no shame. You're not going to "have you no decorum!" her. And maybe I'm just terminally online, but I think everybody probably knows her deal already,

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have fallen by the “it is okay to interview these people if you make the interview as adversarial as possible” thought on this interview. Yes, there is no shame inside of this person but you at least get them to showcase how they cannot support their views under even the smallest scrutiny (which they really get any).

Lorenz calls her out by continuously asking her follow up questions and she just looks like a dumb person who wore a shirt to try and get the liberal to cry. She cannot back up any of her ideology and even showcases new crassness by showing support for the great replacement theory which she had never endorsed before in public.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

modern conservatism is at its core nurturing a grievance-based tribal machismo which, in males, encultures express hypervigilance to any perceived challenges to their masculinity, which they are conditioned to ward off with recognized rituals and displays of their personal machismo. as we discussed earlier, their ideology is a representation of this, but so are their personal habits and major financial decisions

capitalism, already well versed in detecting, amplifying, and exploiting people's personal image insufficiencies, wasted no time in identifying the best way to capitalize upon contemporary republican frailty, especially among younger males and early earners who have little financial education or practical knowledge but are institutionally possessed of new and exploitable credit. Similar to the late precentury advent of military base adjacent dealerships specialized in leasing or financing flashy, impractical sports cars to E-3's at 18% interest, the auto industry has redeveloped the pickup truck from a labor and transportation utility vehicle to a machismo calibration suppository on wheels by deliberately reimaging it as a visual marker of power and masculinity, bulking up the scale and volume of the vehicle chassis beyond practical levels in the same way a bird of paradise deliberately inflames its feathers to assert virility.

the resulting fragile masculinity compensation automobile, still nominally described as a 'pickup,' has sacrificed driver sight lines, fuel economy, maneuverability, mechanical resilience, and most of its actual flatbed cargo towing practicality, but succeeds at capitalism's one and only goal for it: the ability to finance them out to insecure individuals who when all is said and done will have payed $78,000 to $126,000 in combined principal and interest payments

remember this, people, it's all going to be on the test. now if you could all turn to the diagrams of the coal rolling assembly, punisher logo stickers, and the thin blue line flag

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Staluigi posted:

[Professor Brothers bit]

Was hoping for a riff on the Sodom and Gommorah retelling

"At the end of the 2010s you had numerous alt-right groups emerge. For example there was 'The Base', named after al-qaeda, and 'The Proud Boys' named for something even weirder"

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BiggerBoat posted:

Wapo article

How everything became a ‘psyop’ for conservative media

https://news.yahoo.com/everything-became-psyop-conservative-media-150458273.html

This reminds me of the show 24, where each season they would latch on to some technical object or process and try to insert it into every episode to seem relevant. I think it was season 3 or 4 where everything had to be data mined - despite data mining being a relatively specific term.

Recovered hard drive from a terrorist laptop? Data mine that for me.
Broken cell phone found at the scene of a crime? Data mine that for me.
Chunk of metal found at the site of a bombing? Data mine that for me.
Witness to a crime 7 miles away from anything relevant to the show? Data mine them for me.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
I'm going to start a weekly segment here by posting the weekly political ramblings from the son of the most overrated president (that should have also been in jail for high treason) ever, Michael Reagan.

Michael Reagan posted:

The Democrats are trying to put Donald Trump in jail.

The Republicans are trying to put Joe Biden in jail – along with the rest of his extended political crime family.

Both sides think the only way they can win is by putting their opponent in jail.

Is this what our beat up republic has to look forward to as we head for the election in November?

The country is not just going to Hell in a handbasket, it’s already there.

I’m watching an invasion of illegal immigrants parading across the open border in Texas and crawling down the hills south of San Diego like a bunch of ants.

They’re coming in from China and all over the planet. And they’re going straight to sanctuary cities like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Philly to get their free hotel rooms and free credit cards.

The mayors of those cities are crying and whining about how they can’t handle the tens of thousands of illegals who’ve swamped their social services, spiked their crime rates and blown up their city budgets.

But to quote our supposedly 14th greatest president, “Come on, man.”

It was these same Trump-hating “leaders” of blue cities and blue states and their ilk who created the sanctuaries in the first place.

They just thought they’d never have to pay the fiscal or political bill for their virtue signaling.

Joe Biden has recently begun blaming Trump and the Republicans for the border crisis, but he’s the fool who threw the gates to America wide open the day he took the oath of office.

I get it that Congress and the Republicans need to get their acts together on immigration – or anything else important, like $2 trillion annual budget deficits.

But Trump was in office for four years and we didn’t have a massive homeland invasion – or a war overseas. Or 8 percent inflation. Or … you name it.

So what we’re going to get is four more years of either Trump or Biden?

Unless Biden’s managers yank him from the mound in the bottom of the ninth for Gavin Newsom, the slick lefthander from California, it’s going to be a rematch of 2020 without as much vote fraud.

We’re going to have two old geezers running for office who won’t debate each other. They’ll just call each other names and hold friendly townhalls with their journalist pals at Fox or CNN.

A minority of us will listen to Fox, Newsmax and our favorite conservative pundits tell us over and over how bad Biden is and how he should be in jail – but never will be.

About half of the country will listen to the deranged liberal media continue to say Trump is worst president in history and should be doing hard time for whatever fake crimes partisan prosecutors in New York can dream up.

As we know, for the liberal media and Democrats, legal principles don’t apply for Trump and all is fair in their forever war to keep Trump out of the White House.

Meanwhile, Biden’s America is becoming a third world country.

On the sidewalks of New York, Los Angeles and every major city, it looks like we’re already there. Plus, it looks like we now have the perfect leaders for a banana republic – two criminals.

So who do you like in 2024 – Criminal Trump or Criminal Biden?

Based on the damage Biden has done to everything he’s touched at home and overseas, and the fact that Old Joe is so clearly diminished in mind and body, Trump should be the overwhelming favorite.

But remember that red wave that everyone predicted was going to sweep America in 2022? On Election Day, it never hit the shore.

So far it looks like this fall it’s going to come down to the question, “Who’s the least criminal?”

The choice of whom to vote for could be our worst ever, but the right one for me and the country should be simple – Trump, even if he’s behind bars.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just totally deranged

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

FFT posted:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Lorenz calls her out by continuously asking her follow up questions and she just looks like a dumb person who wore a shirt to try and get the liberal to cry. She cannot back up any of her ideology and even showcases new crassness by showing support for the great replacement theory which she had never endorsed before in public.

This is what a lot of these people do and a lot of them like to be performative hoping to get a reaction. I'm reminded of a time I went to the beach and dude had a huge gently caress JOE BIDEN sign flying next to his truck when I had my 9 year old son with me. When I asked him about the language and pointed out there were a lot of young kids at the beach, the reaction was aggressive and immediate.

Ask some angry, loud CHUD to define "woke" and see what you get. For that matter, ask some regular old fashioned GOP voter the same thing and they'll struggle to really define it too. On the rare occasions I engage on this topic, I usually offer that "woke" is just the new "politically correct" and, near as I can tell, both just basically mean "try not to be a mean rear end in a top hat and do your best to respect other people's feelings", which I guess is a bridge too far and a violation of the first amendment or some such poo poo for a lot of people.

FFT posted:

All you fuckers fell this trap I set 12 years ago!

*twirls mustache*

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 25, 2024

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FFT posted:

It's true. I've never seen BiggerBoat and either Obama or Biden in the same location!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
More quality slogan repeats and word slurring

Also...Windmills.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1761451836085530624

E: wait. No windmills this speech. This time it was Beverly Hills residents arent allowed to brush their teeth twice a day.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 25, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I mean, ‘woke’ used to be a left-wing term. It meant you’ve ‘woken up’ and started seeing the systemic inequalities that privilege normally hides from people (and once you can see them they’re everywhere)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OgNar posted:

E: wait. No windmills this speech. This time it was Beverly Hills residents arent allowed to brush their teeth twice a day.

Choosing between your nice lawn in a place where it shouldn't be vs. brushing your teeth sounds more like a personal choice

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Cpac is a psyop at this point tbh

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Woke is the liberal version of being pilled.

Or vice versa.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
More specifically it was black cultural slang that got appropriated by white leftists/libs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

The Lone Badger posted:

I mean, ‘woke’ used to be a left-wing term. It meant you’ve ‘woken up’ and started seeing the systemic inequalities that privilege normally hides from people (and once you can see them they’re everywhere)

And that's why conservatives use it as a pejorative. It's everything they stand against.