Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

mags posted:

it is funny to stare past all the unnatural exploitation and man made horror and take offense at the one actual bit of unchangeable human nature, people gently caress and make babies and that is morally abhorrent. in fact it makes one the most leftist of all

People can criticize multiple things at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

4d3d3d posted:

https://twitter.com/SaraHor76174949/status/1761430578186821881
PFAS is everywhere and it causes cancer and infertility. Clock's ticking motherfuckers

https://twitter.com/FordPrefect747/status/1761441813313859730

:lmao:

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

haha

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

my community library hosts a monthly end-of-life group on thursdays at 3pm

everyone goes around and tells the story of why they’re there

some are really coming to grips with their age, some have a prolonged terminal diagnoses, some just had a family member recently pass, some are new moms that never really thought about their mortality and their relationship with their children makes them cry

everyone cries

the climate grief workshop at the syncretic, vaguely eastern religion, yoga studio wasn’t well attended enough to justify recurrence

maybe that’ll change

sometimes I’ll catch up on the academic journal, Ecopsychology, and ill have some intellectual armor for the just weirdest, disturbingly calm, climate catastrophes that are around me when i go through my small town days

it’s a popular topic of conversation most folks are interested in having. If they’re not, the kaleidoscope of https://skepticalscience.com/ arguments are vehemently told

we’re not debating whether the climate is changing, they’re grasping at whatever straw they can

their camel’s back isn’t breaking, yours is

the rest of us are talking soil erosion, water morphology, dc solar well pumps, the seed library, what our garden plans look like this year, cold storage infrastructure, the state food bank and how efficient trunk distribution is for the 200 food boxes that go out for the weekly pick-up

the outgoing executive director warns us that we’ll be moving a million pounds of food in the next 12 months

it makes me feel better when i help my community’s logistics in ways i never think about when im working in my garden

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mags posted:

it is funny to stare past all the unnatural exploitation and man made horror and take offense at the one actual bit of unchangeable human nature, people gently caress and make babies and that is morally abhorrent. in fact it makes one the most leftist of all

The existence of birth control is proof that its not unchangeable human nature to raise a catholic dozen.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

4d3d3d posted:

People can criticize multiple things at once

yeah people like that tend to have more than one dumb grievance lol

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Salt Fish posted:

The existence of birth control is proof that its not unchangeable human nature to raise a catholic dozen.

birth control kicks rear end and so does family planning and condoms, and im happy they exist and everyone should have access to them

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Who gives a poo poo if people have kids or not. Number gonna go up baby. Look at those red lines, you think they can go down? Up up up we go forever!

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

mags posted:

yeah people like that tend to have more than one dumb grievance lol

XXXXDDDDDDDDDDDD

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

mags posted:

birth control kicks rear end and so does family planning and condoms, and im happy they exist and everyone should have access to them

Surely the winning team is the one having to clarify this

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

4d3d3d posted:

Surely the winning team is the one having to clarify this

what teams haha

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

RC Cola posted:

Who gives a poo poo if people have kids or not. Number gonna go up baby. Look at those red lines, you think they can go down? Up up up we go forever!

The kids themselves.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What did nate do to deserve this

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Unless posted:

my community library hosts a monthly end-of-life group on thursdays at 3pm

everyone goes around and tells the story of why they’re there

some are really coming to grips with their age, some have a prolonged terminal diagnoses, some just had a family member recently pass, some are new moms that never really thought about their mortality and their relationship with their children makes them cry

everyone cries

the climate grief workshop at the syncretic, vaguely eastern religion, yoga studio wasn’t well attended enough to justify recurrence

maybe that’ll change

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

mags posted:

i better not hear about anybody in this thread loving

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

RandomBlue posted:

post only strats for epic cum retention

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

i know right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAtX4PjUXrM

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

RandomBlue posted:

not to worry

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

a lot of people have no baseline for “flourishing”

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Yeah. No one alive and posting on the internet remembers what it was like to have skys full of birds and bugs.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

silicone thrills posted:

Yeah. No one alive and posting on the internet remembers what it was like to have skys full of birds and bugs.

I saw a tweet recently that was "Wait, car windshields used to get bug splatter so bad you'd have to pull over specifically to clean them?" and I died

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'm sure if we have more kids than we otherwise would have they'll figure out a way to solve that though

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Mr. Sharps posted:

a lot of people have no baseline for “flourishing”

Imagine being able to dine on a fine 40-year-old human for your long pig treat in 1950, and in 2024 you’re stuck with consuming teenagers and think that’s flourishing.

Or something. I don’t know, I’m sad about RandomBlue’s threat. What’s fat squirrel taste like?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

4d3d3d posted:

I saw a tweet recently that was "Wait, car windshields used to get bug splatter so bad you'd have to pull over specifically to clean them?" and I died

things change. Kids these days don't know what a floppy disk is either but they still know what a save icon is. And kids in a few decades won't know what the animal on the Pacific Life logo is supposed to be, but such is life

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm not having kids but that's not really because I'm an antinatalist.

A kid born today will turn 18 in 2042. Imagine graduating highschool into a world that is clearly, visibly, irreversibly and undeniably hosed. Cities getting swept by wildfire and hurricanes and loss of ground water (or water tables totally poisoned by chemicals or saltwater infiltration) so regularly that building new things to last or settling anywhere seems like a waste of time. If you live somewhere "safe" it'll be flooded with climate refugees by then. If you don't, you're going to be like an Okie with your family. Imagine putting your first foot on the ground on the road toward some future life and stepping on a nail. That's going to be the experience for most kids graduating highschool in 2042. Rich countries probably won't be internally collapsing by then, but the number of homeless and dispossessed is going to be in the millions by that point, and any bit of bad luck with your life or a big weather event and you go into the grinder. The people with reserves will be able to weather that a bit, but young people will be flowing into prison camps, homeless encampments, and graves at rates that haven't been seen since the early 1800s.

A kid born today will turn 40 in 2064. Imagine having a midlife crisis in a world in which famine in the developed world is not just something that can happen but something that happens quite regularly. Every two, three years a bunch of poor people in supposedly rich countries will die of malnutrition. Maybe the US will hang on a little longer than this because of how deep the ag production here is, but it's going to be extremely hard times and Europe is going to be totally hosed by this point. Imagine thinking about having your own kids in a world in which you're not sure you're going to be able to feed them consistently enough that they'll make it to adulthood. Imagine comforting a child when their body starts to shut down because it's trying to grow and it's burning all its reserves, but you can't get enough calories for them. Imagine feeling your body start to decline in middle age knowing that you will never be able to stop working because if you can't work you go in the grinder. Imagine knowing that this isn't just your problem; the zeitgeist of everyone except the rich elite has become one of utter, defeated despair. Every person you talk to or interact with on a daily basis at this point is thinking the same poo poo: when is my number going to get punched? When is my family going to be made homeless? When is the day going to come when the food is going to stop showing up at the grocery store and never start again? And that's a best case. A lot of people aren't going to have the luxury of existential crisis: they'll be dying or suffering deprivation on the way to dying.

A kid born today will turn 65 in 2089. Or will they? Natural life expectancy in the US today would put a kid born today living until 2090 or 2100, but most kids born today aren't going to make it that far. If you have a kid right now, you're pretty much accepting (whether you know it or not) that the life you create will suffer and probably die of disease, climate disaster, starvation, or violence years if not decades before their time. But if they do turn 65, they will look out at a world that is in the midst of a transition into a new climate and atmospheric regime under which industrial civilization may not be possible anymore - and the billions of lives still relying on that civilization may not be possible either. Everything they ever knew, the places, the people, the food, the music, will be coming to a series of shockingly abrupt ends around them by then. After a lifetime of struggle just to survive, they will face a world not just in decline but in total collapse.

And all through this time, they will face a society that won't (and can't) come to terms with the situation and try do better. A high-energy capitalistic political economy is not compatible with the kind of change needed to even make an attempt at staving off the disaster. "Doing better" enough to prevent the onrushing disaster isn't really possible at all at this point, but it would provide a nice sense of unity and purpose which goes a long way toward making suffering and struggle tolerable. But kids born now won't have that. They'll have a collapsing neoliberal demon society that will never, ever stop lying to its members en masse as long as the organs that produce the lies continue to function. They'll be lied to, silenced, propagandized, and have any effort they make undermined at every turn. They'll see the homeless murdered and be told first that it never happened and then that it was a necessary evil and finally that it was Good Actually. They'll face the collapse of their material circumstances and be shouted down that actually everything's going well and you shouldn't ask for better. And that's just the kind of poo poo that'll happen in the developed world; they'll still be seeing news about mass death in poor equatorial countries that will dwarf anything any human has ever seen. Whole cities of people who died in freak weather events in a matter of hours or days, whole countries starving to death in a matter of weeks by the end of the century. And then right after seeing that, they'll hear about how net zero is right around the corner - or even that it's already been achieved and everything is great and you're a doomer if you think otherwise. They'll be jailed if they say genocide is bad. They'll be shot if they protest about it.

So I'm not having a kid because while my life is still livable and will be for a while, they would have only a distant memory of that kind of life to taunt them as they descend into hell.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

quote:

Imagine graduating highschool into a world that is clearly, visibly, irreversibly and undeniably hosed. Cities getting swept by wildfire and hurricanes and loss of ground water

I don't think anyone has to imagine this

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I have friends with kids in high school now that are clearly very aware of how hosed everything is and its just generally upsetting.

I guess thats why oil companies are sending lobbyists in to tell them its fine!

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

silicone thrills posted:

I have friends with kids in high school now that are clearly very aware of how hosed everything is and its just generally upsetting.

And people who should know better are lapping it up as always

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A good reason to not have kids is because they will have to experience existing without being able to predict the future.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't think anyone has to imagine this

No modern city has been depopulated by climate change yet. New Orleans after Katrina only lost like a third of its population. Imagine a disaster three times that bad, every year.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

The number of oil company sponsored auditorium presentations will increase inversely to the loss of food and housing for the students

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Really weird at this point to choose not to have kid for their impact on the world rather than the world's impact on them.

But then 99% of humans who ever lived did so under circumstances the average goon would find revolting to experience and they still did not consider having kids immoral, so I guess you shouldn't either.

People can get used to anything. There may be significant drops in living standards and a dazzling variety of possible catastrophes but that'll just toughen them up. If they ever whine to you over why you chose to have them, you can just call them sadbrain doomers who need to be normal and realize that it's not that bad, yet.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

bawfuls posted:

Maybe I’m not crack pinged enough but I find it the most eye rolling and tedious kind of posting in this thread. I guess it’s like a dnd lib wandering in here and earnestly arguing that we can totally limit warming to 2C and you’re all doomer assholes for suggesting otherwise and why aren’t you out trying to convince everyone you know to help?? But somehow the former is a lot more weird and pathetic to me while the latter is funny.

imagine the antinatalist showing up to a football game. players and coaches are rallied together working out the best plays to move the ball. the fans are cheering wildly. vendors are running a tight ship, getting cold brews into warm hands. the goon philosopher stares at the field, muttering angrily "we need to stop throwing the ball! it's going FORWARD all the time."

just a master shake level understanding of how things work

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

The Oldest Man posted:

A kid born today will turn 18 in 2042. Imagine graduating highschool into a world that is clearly, visibly, irreversibly and undeniably hosed. Cities getting swept by wildfire and hurricanes and loss of ground water (or water tables totally poisoned by chemicals or saltwater infiltration) so regularly that building new things to last or settling anywhere seems like a waste of time. If you live somewhere "safe" it'll be flooded with climate refugees by then. If you don't, you're going to be like an Okie with your family. Imagine putting your first foot on the ground on the road toward some future life and stepping on a nail. That's going to be the experience for most kids graduating highschool in 2042. Rich countries probably won't be internally collapsing by then, but the number of homeless and dispossessed is going to be in the millions by that point, and any bit of bad luck with your life or a big weather event and you go into the grinder. The people with reserves will be able to weather that a bit, but young people will be flowing into prison camps, homeless encampments, and graves at rates that haven't been seen since the early 1800s.

A kid born today will turn 40 in 2064. Imagine having a midlife crisis in a world in which famine in the developed world is not just something that can happen but something that happens quite regularly. Every two, three years a bunch of poor people in supposedly rich countries will die of malnutrition. Maybe the US will hang on a little longer than this because of how deep the ag production here is, but it's going to be extremely hard times and Europe is going to be totally hosed by this point. Imagine thinking about having your own kids in a world in which you're not sure you're going to be able to feed them consistently enough that they'll make it to adulthood. Imagine comforting a child when their body starts to shut down because it's trying to grow and it's burning all its reserves, but you can't get enough calories for them. Imagine feeling your body start to decline in middle age knowing that you will never be able to stop working because if you can't work you go in the grinder. Imagine knowing that this isn't just your problem; the zeitgeist of everyone except the rich elite has become one of utter, defeated despair. Every person you talk to or interact with on a daily basis at this point is thinking the same poo poo: when is my number going to get punched? When is my family going to be made homeless? When is the day going to come when the food is going to stop showing up at the grocery store and never start again? And that's a best case. A lot of people aren't going to have the luxury of existential crisis: they'll be dying or suffering deprivation on the way to dying.

A kid born today will turn 65 in 2089. Or will they? Natural life expectancy in the US today would put a kid born today living until 2090 or 2100, but most kids born today aren't going to make it that far. If you have a kid right now, you're pretty much accepting (whether you know it or not) that the life you create will suffer and probably die of disease, climate disaster, starvation, or violence years if not decades before their time. But if they do turn 65, they will look out at a world that is in the midst of a transition into a new climate and atmospheric regime under which industrial civilization may not be possible anymore - and the billions of lives still relying on that civilization may not be possible either. Everything they ever knew, the places, the people, the food, the music, will be coming to a series of shockingly abrupt ends around them by then. After a lifetime of struggle just to survive, they will face a world not just in decline but in total collapse.

And all through this time, they will face a society that won't (and can't) come to terms with the situation and try do better. A high-energy capitalistic political economy is not compatible with the kind of change needed to even make an attempt at staving off the disaster. "Doing better" enough to prevent the onrushing disaster isn't really possible at all at this point, but it would provide a nice sense of unity and purpose which goes a long way toward making suffering and struggle tolerable. But kids born now won't have that. They'll have a collapsing neoliberal demon society that will never, ever stop lying to its members en masse as long as the organs that produce the lies continue to function. They'll be lied to, silenced, propagandized, and have any effort they make undermined at every turn. They'll see the homeless murdered and be told first that it never happened and then that it was a necessary evil and finally that it was Good Actually. They'll face the collapse of their material circumstances and be shouted down that actually everything's going well and you shouldn't ask for better. And that's just the kind of poo poo that'll happen in the developed world; they'll still be seeing news about mass death in poor equatorial countries that will dwarf anything any human has ever seen. Whole cities of people who died in freak weather events in a matter of hours or days, whole countries starving to death in a matter of weeks by the end of the century. And then right after seeing that, they'll hear about how net zero is right around the corner - or even that it's already been achieved and everything is great and you're a doomer if you think otherwise. They'll be jailed if they say genocide is bad. They'll be shot if they protest about it.

So I'm not having a kid because while my life is still livable and will be for a while, they would have only a distant memory of that kind of life to taunt them as they descend into hell.

:golfclap:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

YaketySass posted:

Really weird at this point to choose not to have kid for their impact on the world rather than the world's impact on them.

But then 99% of humans who ever lived did so under circumstances the average goon would find revolting to experience and they still did not consider having kids immoral, so I guess you shouldn't either.

People can get used to anything. There may be significant drops in living standards and a dazzling variety of possible catastrophes but that'll just toughen them up. If they ever whine to you over why you chose to have them, you can just call them sadbrain doomers who need to be normal and realize that it's not that bad, yet.

Ive thought about this a lot and my guess for millennials in particular is we went from seeing our parents with a very high quality of life to what we have now and its very jolting.

But knowing that we have like more than black plague levels of population loss in front of us from crop failures leading to famine + ensuing wars over that leaves me really dreading the future.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

The Oldest Man posted:

deep ag, what is that, like potatoes?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
This is probably a little too disconnected / conspiracy but part of watching the ethnic cleansing/genocide in palestine has made me wonder if its all apart of a test to see how much death in the global south people will ignore in order for the global north to keep their treats.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Karach posted:

deep ag, what is that, like potatoes?

It’s who supplies the ingredients for the pizzeria in Pizzagate.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

This is probably a little too disconnected / conspiracy but part of watching the ethnic cleansing/genocide in palestine has made me wonder if its all apart of a test to see how much death in the global south people will ignore in order for the global north to keep their treats.

No but people will look at it when asking themselves that question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

silicone thrills posted:

bud we social murder six figgies of americans a year. the outcome of mass immigrant drownings off the coast of europe has been a wild resurgence in the far right. we're gonna kill the whole world for treats, that's what we're all here to enjoy in this very thread