Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gripweed posted:

A Japanese character named Kwannon?

chris claremont was absolute dogshit at asian names lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Endless Mike posted:

Has Beast used magic since regaining his teenaged memories?

That is a missed opportunity. Beast, now that he is rebooted before he comitted any warcrimes, he could fuse science and magic and do some mad, sick poo poo.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah, turns out even well meaning white guys trying to include more diversity in comics had issues with cultural details in the era before the internet. See also Karma's original name "Xi'an Coy Manh", which apparently does not make sense at all as a Vietnamese name. It was only recently corrected by changing it to "Mạnh Cao Xuân". Also a lot of indigenous mythology getting attributed to the wrong tribe.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Alaois posted:

"Kwannon" was first used in comics after Claremont left, and was named by Fabian Nicieza.

Nicieza also had Kwannon's codename be "Revanche" with the apparent believe it was a fancy term for "Revenge" and not a term for nations trying to reclaim land lost in war/treaties. He may have also played a role in the crossover The Phalanx Covenant, where "covenant" was used as a term to describe a really big coven/group.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Sorry, but what is Beast achieving by destroying Arakko?

Edit: Also, do both the current runs of X-force and Wolverine end their respective 50th issues?

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 23, 2024

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yes. Both books end at 50. Supposedly Greg Capullo will be the artist for the Brevoort era Wolverine book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

It wasn't originally a body swap, it was body mod stuff that Claremont was into, and I don't think Kwanon as a concept existed before Lee left Marvel.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Sorry, but what is Beast achieving by destroying Arakko?

Edit: Also, do both the current runs of X-force and Wolverine end their respective 50th issues?
I don't think he's trying to destroy it, his little monologue mentions how he wants to leave instructions on how to "undo it" if his plan doesn't work, and the thing he is building is a "black hole gun" that will leave Arrako "crushed into a cosmic vault for safekeeping". I assume (since this is generally his MO in Percy's books) his believe is that He Knows Better and he has a plan to fight back against Orchis/humanity and doesn't want Arrako interfering/running their own attack while he's doing his poo poo. So what he is hoping to achieve is being the Savior of Mutants without anyone else in his way.

And yes, X-Force #50 comes out in March and is solicited as "their final battle" with no issues solicited for April and May. Wolverine #50 is in the May 2024 solicitations and is advertised to include "a final send-off from Benjamin Percy and Javi Fernández".

It seems like all of the X-Books are ending between now and the end of May, presumably to make room for whatever the next thing is.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

As I recall it was Nicieza trying to make something that was fundamentally really gross at least marginally less gross. I know Jay and Miles went into it but I can't remember if it was during the coverage of that story or the episode with Nicieza.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think Beast was trying to basically put all other mutants in a metaphorical cosmic bottle so he could "get his house in order" (his house in this case being civilization on the planet Earth) without any of his pesky genesmen getting in his way, and then he would... bring them back later. Somehow?

Alaois posted:

It's an anachronistic romanization of Kannon

Which...

If it was my name, I would wanna use the modern spelling (to say nothing of the gringos pronouncing it), but I could see how she would have more pressing concerns. If Karma can get her name fixed, hope springs eternal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Keep in mind Wikipedia didn't exist when this happened.

Karma though, shouldn't have been too hard to find a list of actual Vietnamese names given how many refugees there were in the 80s.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Kwannon is a Japanese name it's a. Romanizatoon their name for the Chinese goddess of mercy guanyin

I get not everyone is a mythology nerd but it's a perfectly fine ironic name for an assassin

E: whoops got beaten before I could post this

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

rantmo posted:

As I recall it was Nicieza trying to make something that was fundamentally really gross at least marginally less gross. I know Jay and Miles went into it but I can't remember if it was during the coverage of that story or the episode with Nicieza.

I remember Nicieza saying in the past that he remembered it as being a body swap but couldn't actually go back and check because either he or Marvel didn't have a copy of that issue handy, so he just winged it. Which honestly is just another lovely example of how you had to do stuff before the internet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Air Skwirl posted:

Keep in mind Wikipedia didn't exist when this happened.

Karma though, shouldn't have been too hard to find a list of actual Vietnamese names given how many refugees there were in the 80s.
Given that her origin story is The Plight Of The Boat People, my best guess is that Claremont or Miller wrote down a bad romanization of a name they heard. And after a few issues in New Mutants, they were presumably locked in, or something.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rochallor posted:

I remember Nicieza saying in the past that he remembered it as being a body swap but couldn't actually go back and check because either he or Marvel didn't have a copy of that issue handy, so he just winged it. Which honestly is just another lovely example of how you had to do stuff before the internet.

Didn't they have people like Roy Thomas or whoever as continuity encyclopedias?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Didn't they have people like Roy Thomas or whoever as continuity encyclopedias?

Mark Gruenwald was the big one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
beast makes really bad decisions which he believes are excellent. but even he can see that his magic phase was disastrous. now, he'd be more likely to try to enslave dr. strange or some such dumb poo poo than risk his own rear end doing magic.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Current beast should have his magic period back, but Avengers Era Beast wouldn't, right? Since his backup would have been from before the original 5 came to the future and went back home

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Raserys posted:

Current beast should have his magic period back, but Avengers Era Beast wouldn't, right? Since his backup would have been from before the original 5 came to the future and went back home

Uhhh… I don’t think that’s quite how it works? But hey, it’s time travel, don’t think about it too much

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That's correct, I think. The backup Beast that they recently brought back in X-Force should, by all rights, not have his full Teen Beast Time Travel memories restored, because those were only "programmed" to be restored at a certain point in the timeline.

Though the memories should technically still be there, lying dormant in his brain, waiting to be triggered.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wouldn't they be triggered the moment Beast realized it was past whatever point in time the memories should be triggered. Scott was dead when the teen X-Men went back to their present.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

Wouldn't they be triggered the moment Beast realized it was past whatever point in time the memories should be triggered. Scott was dead when the teen X-Men went back to their present.

no he wasn't, the literal last page of that miniseries where it happened was Cyclops stepping out of the shadows to reveal he was alive

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm inclined to go with no magic

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

no he wasn't, the literal last page of that miniseries where it happened was Cyclops stepping out of the shadows to reveal he was alive

Wait, I didn't read all of Death of X, but there was a lot of X-Men comics between Death of X and the terrible Uncanny reboot that had an alive adult Cyclops right before the Krakoan era started, and I don't think he was in any of those. God that's some bullshit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

I'm inclined to go with no magic

I think if we want to stick with a Beast who isn't the worst loving person, no magic is a pretty good idea. I wouldn't mind him knowing enough to give some advice to Magik or Dr. Strange, like on the level when Spider-Man points out a science thing to Reed Richards that he's overlooked.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

Wait, I didn't read all of Death of X, but there was a lot of X-Men comics between Death of X and the terrible Uncanny reboot that had an alive adult Cyclops right before the Krakoan era started, and I don't think he was in any of those. God that's some bullshit.

The young Original 5 were sent back in time by the debuting Kid Cable, who also killed Old Cable for failing to protect the timeline, in Extermination. The end of the last issue of Extermination, after the Original 5 had been sent back in time, revealed Kid Cable did so at the behest of the mysteriously alive again Cyclops.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Gripweed posted:

It’s a Kwannon event, I cannot interfere

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just want old (Avenger) Beast to meet up with current (madman) Beast so we can have a repeat of that scene from the lead-up to Secret Wars where Young Beast calls Beast a piece of poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jason Aaron is writing an Uncle Scrooge one-shot with an Alex Ross cover

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/disney-s-uncle-scrooge-quests-for-the-infinity-dime-in-new-marvel-comic/ar-BB1iKAHq

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Uncle Scrooge Heavy Metal Van art when???

Now I'm morbidly curious as to what an Uncle Scrooge book with Ribbic art would look like.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

:capitalism:

Edit: this came off worse than I intended to. I do not know anyone who likes Jason Aaron. I do not like Jason Aaron. Yet, he keeps getting big work: Avengers, Superman, TMNT... and now a beloved character in comics worldwide (duck comics are huge across the world, especially in Europe). Are there legit Jason Aaron fans who keep buying his work everywhere? I don't get it.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 24, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jason Aaron is very good. I know recency bias is playing a part here because his Avengers wasn't that well loved but he had great runs on Ghost Rider, Dr Strange, X-Men, Wolverine, Conan and an all time run on Thor. And that's just from his Marvel work.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Jason Aaron is consistently good to great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No one likes Jason Aaron in the thread that spent 6 years gushing over Jason Aaron's Thor

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Once upon a time at the end of the world is my current favorite book.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Wolverine and the X-men is one of my favorite runs ever.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I did not read his Thor run. I'm aware it's known as his best work, but it's never been a character I had much interest on. I will be trying to look up a couple of trades for it to see what all the praise is about -- maybe he really hit gold there.

Scalper was the first thing I read from him and I did enjoy it a lot back in the day. Punisher MAX less so -- it felt too goofy on occasion for the story it was trying to tell. Wolverine and the X-Men started as a breath of fresh air, then became quite meandering as it went on, especially when he was doing two books at once (the former and Amazing X-Men). His recent Conan run was the most boring of the new writers Marvel had working on the character when they got the rights again.

And then, there was Avengers. I very much disliked everything about that one and it seems his worse habits became that much more.

When I said I don't know anyone (and I meant IRL) who cares for his work, it's more of a... what's the deal here? Did his name suddenly get enough pull with even the more casual audience that it merits all the books he's getting recently?

As pointed out a couple posts above, he's (arguably) "good to great". Tons of writers are good to great. They don't get all the chances he's being given. And when they fumble, they don't get to do it to high profile characters.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Saoshyant posted:

Tons of writers are good to great.

Nah.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
My impression of Jason Aaron is that he's never written a bad comic, and he sometimes writes good ones. That doesn't always make for the most interesting comics, but it does mean that there's at least a baseline level of quality a lot of people can't consistently hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Most writers seem to fall into the ‘fine’ category for me. And then I make note of the very occasional ones that I really like or really annoy me.