Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

It occurred to me that they are probably going to have some growing pains with how the currency works in this game. Here we are probably weeks out from any new content and months before anything substantial, and while I still have a very good chunk of battle pass stuff to unlock, I'm hitting the point where I'm about to have every strategem, ship upgrade etc unlocked and after that there's really no cap to the currency or even the battle pass medals etc. A guy in my group has played a ton and is just currently sitting on like 300k req cause he unlocked every gem a while ago.

maybe it's not a bad thing, cause I'm not a huge fan of grind and largely just play games to have fun, but it's also gonna seem off if everyone who plays a bunch just has enough funds sitting around to instantly unlock any future content. Even I might get a little bored with that. If nothing else they are probably going to have to add some sort of new secondary in game currency just so people can't unlock everything that drops instantly. Which would also probably tick people off, cause then what's the point of having the other poo poo? I dunno. I do appreciate their mostly generous and non predatory approach to GAAS but also I think it's gonna be hard to balance for future updates.

They will need to find some sinks for the currency to be sure, I also unlocked everything so it just piles up right now, I think a good addition would be to let people buy samples/medals with credits, start at around 1000 for each, +1000 for each one you bought, capping at 10k and resetting after a week or month.

If the currency doesn't have value it also devalues the optional objectives on maps because you don't gain anything meaningful from doing them, you are better off just speedrunning the main objective and checking random points of interest for medals and super credits, which is the real reward.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Imo the eradication defense mission is trivially easy on the majority of difficulties. If you get a couple turrets and some sort of heavy weapon then you can just shoot down from the high ground and grind them into paste before they can even get close.

me and some pubbies decided to see if we could clear extreme eradication without firing a shot.

Not only did we clear it, I got the cheevo for doing an extreme mission with no one dying too, lol. Trivial missions type.

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!
I might have been really high and a little drunk last night, but I swear that flag raising pod was blasting a Taylor Swift song for a hot minute before the orchestra kicked in...

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Turns out you can land on top of the tower on the defense mission, and that railings are optional

https://i.imgur.com/KZhYlZ1.mp4

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

veni veni veni posted:

Only weapons that can crack heavy armor afaik is the railgun, spear, recoilless rifle, and EAT and the railgun is the clear winner despite it not being very fun to use (imo)

I think it'd be fine to let the autocannon break heavy armor in like 4-5 shots. That's a lot of shooting, so it's not like it'd be preferable to having a railgun guy do it. It'd make it even more of a universal solution, but the backpack penalty is big.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yeah I unlocked railgun and personal shield and I see now how it sort of obsoletes many of the other support weapon combinations. i’m still on difficulty 6 so I just do whatever I feel like, but it would be good to buff other weapons vs armor

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

and maybe when they fix heavier armors you wonkt have to rely on the shield backpack as much

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I love the EATs but what I would really love would be an upgrade rhat lets me drop it three in a pod for those difficult missions.

Also I havent seen anyone comment on it yet but shooting down ships making them dissapear and then fly in sliding across the ground is so dunb, this isnt just a me thing is it?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

My main complaint with the railgun after using the grenade launcher and autocannon a bunch is that it's WAY too hard to kill yourself with the thing. I've taken it on several missions and not blown it + myself up once yet. Maybe if firing rapidly caused it to heat up so the overcharge limit gradually gets lower and lower until it has a chance to cool down?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

which weapons can kill bot dropships? only recoilless?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Triarii posted:

My main complaint with the railgun after using the grenade launcher and autocannon a bunch is that it's WAY too hard to kill yourself with the thing. I've taken it on several missions and not blown it + myself up once yet. Maybe if firing rapidly caused it to heat up so the overcharge limit gradually gets lower and lower until it has a chance to cool down?

It would be really funny if the old "Did you leave the safety on" joke applied here, but surely complaining a gun with a suicide mode isn't suicidal enough means you activated suicide mode... right?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

hey mom its 420 posted:

which weapons can kill bot dropships? only recoilless?

EATs at least

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Section Z posted:

It would be really funny if the old "Did you leave the safety on" joke applied here, but surely complaining a gun with a suicide mode isn't suicidal enough means you activated suicide mode... right?

Definitely have suicide mode on, the limit is just too generous.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Yeah either all the stratagem weapons need some sort of anti armor capability or we need some primaries to fill that role because while it's not necessarily mandatory to bring a railgun on higher difficulties, it's a hell of a lot easier if you do.

e: I like this idea as well:

Anti armor is so important right now mostly because chargers can be so hard to deal with without it, even just making their tail much more vulnerable to small arms would go a long way to making other builds more viable.

If your group in 7+ doesn’t have at least 2 railguns, it’s going to be a bad time. I’d wager bring your own anyways because you can’t trust people to actually know what they’re doing. The tail is just regular damage, where as if you shoot the legs after they’re unarmoured it’s bonus damage.

2 railgun hits, 5/6 breaker shots downs them.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

The unsafe mode should be 5 seconds of overcharge that degrades in real time.

IE: you get 5 1 second overcharges or 1 4.9 second overcharge.

If it's actually unsafe you can buff the oc shots and make it have a high skill ceiling, even if it cooled down over time it would do a lot to make the railgun less oppressive vs. Other AT weapons.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 24, 2024

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Once I get all the super samples required for ship upgrades I'll probably stick to 6. Maybe 7. It's just more fun to play. You can bring a larger variety of equipment without griefing your team, and the game doesn't devolve into Benny Hilling it with 3 Titans, 5 Stalkers, and the entire Chargers football team in tow anytime you encounter a single bug.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Yeah either all the stratagem weapons need some sort of anti armor capability or we need some primaries to fill that role because while it's not necessarily mandatory to bring a railgun on higher difficulties, it's a hell of a lot easier if you do.

e: I like this idea as well:

Anti armor is so important right now mostly because chargers can be so hard to deal with without it, even just making their tail much more vulnerable to small arms would go a long way to making other builds more viable.

Yeah, just make the tail a fat loving weakpoint to anything and I'd be less irritated! If I dodge a charger and dump into that rear end with 900 rpm of HMG it should have an effect.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

UP AND ADAM posted:

I think it'd be fine to let the autocannon break heavy armor in like 4-5 shots. That's a lot of shooting, so it's not like it'd be preferable to having a railgun guy do it. It'd make it even more of a universal solution, but the backpack penalty is big.

:agreed:

If I have to use a backpack the weapon should not be limited by armor type imo.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

I love the EATs but what I would really love would be an upgrade rhat lets me drop it three in a pod for those difficult missions.

Also I havent seen anyone comment on it yet but shooting down ships making them dissapear and then fly in sliding across the ground is so dunb, this isnt just a me thing is it?

Me and another person I play with regularly both have it happen to us too.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, just make the tail a fat loving weakpoint to anything and I'd be less irritated! If I dodge a charger and dump into that rear end with 900 rpm of HMG it should have an effect.

If you are shooting non explosive bullets into a jelly like part that does the splashy animation when you shoot it it does 10% of normal damage. Explosive ammo does full to those parts. Same with green tanker bugs and such.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah the ship weirdness is a sometimes thing for me. It was really confusing the first time I saw it.

Also I'm definitely a fan of the camp of ideas for "Don't nerf the charger, buff the weapons. Especially fire/chemical damage."

BitBasher posted:

If you are shooting non explosive bullets into a jelly like part that does the splashy animation when you shoot it it does 10% of normal damage. Explosive ammo does full to those parts. Same with green tanker bugs and such.

The bile shooters (green tanker bugs) and their brown cousins who spew smoke that cause bad visibility are part of why I fell in love with the grenade launcher. Just two grenades makes them explode violently, and clears like 75% of the trash around them as a bonus.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The really dangerous thing about the 'dropships sliding into place when killed' is that they have collisions and they WILL smear you into paste if you get in the way. Try not to be underneath dropships or within 20-30 meters when you kill them because the 'ragdoll' will murder you.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Am I missing something or is there no way to do saved loadouts?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

hiddenriverninja posted:

Am I missing something or is there no way to do saved loadouts?

There is no way to do saved loadouts.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

BitBasher posted:

Tbh this is pretty dumb and guns should do 110% and explosive should do 200% damage.

Adjust HP upwards a bit to compensate for more incoming damage but that mechanic feels bad for both regular guns, and explosive tagged ones ATM.

Doing less damage than you would if you just shot a leg feels bad and weird.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

explosivo posted:

There is no way to do saved loadouts.

It's on the to-do list but the UI right now is about a C+.

Meanwhile server stability and connectivity grade is "Smoldering dangerously", which is a decided improvement from "Actively on fire".

So yeah, there's definitely a lot of areas that need improvement that I hope they get to in the next couple months but understand why they're not doing them now.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Just coming in this here thread to say this game loving slaps.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Infidelicious posted:

Tbh this is pretty dumb and guns should do 110% and explosive should do 200% damage.

Adjust HP upwards a bit to compensate for more incoming damage but that mechanic feels bad for both regular guns, and explosive tagged ones ATM.

Agreed. If I'm getting shot feedback in the form of gut goo flying everywhere it should not be actually doing practically nil.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alkydere posted:

It's on the to-do list but the UI right now is about a C+.

Meanwhile server stability and connectivity grade is "Smoldering dangerously", which is a decided improvement from "Actively on fire".

So yeah, there's definitely a lot of areas that need improvement that I hope they get to in the next couple months but understand why they're not doing them now.

They are doing both of those things, though. The company has 100 employees and 4 of them work on networking.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Infidelicious posted:

Then shoot the leg, it's right there! Is there some reason you just really don't want to shoot the leg?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

BitBasher posted:

Then shoot the leg, it's right there! Is there some reason you just really don't want to shoot the leg?

legs are small targets. goop sacs are big glowing targets easier to shoot in fracas.

so to reward people for precision:

goop shots with small arms does normal damage and explosive does double damage.

leg shots with small arms does 1.5x, and explosive does 2.5x

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

i quite enjoy the general game design choice of "big yellow thing is a weakpoint" getting subverted. Sorry you have different opinions on alien anatomy.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

veni veni veni posted:

It occurred to me that they are probably going to have some growing pains with how the currency works in this game. Here we are probably weeks out from any new content and months before anything substantial, and while I still have a very good chunk of battle pass stuff to unlock, I'm hitting the point where I'm about to have every strategem, ship upgrade etc unlocked and after that there's really no cap to the currency or even the battle pass medals etc. A guy in my group has played a ton and is just currently sitting on like 300k req cause he unlocked every gem a while ago.

maybe it's not a bad thing, cause I'm not a huge fan of grind and largely just play games to have fun, but it's also gonna seem off if everyone who plays a bunch just has enough funds sitting around to instantly unlock any future content. Even I might get a little bored with that. If nothing else they are probably going to have to add some sort of new secondary in game currency just so people can't unlock everything that drops instantly. Which would also probably tick people off, cause then what's the point of having the other poo poo? I dunno. I do appreciate their mostly generous and non predatory approach to GAAS but also I think it's gonna be hard to balance for future updates.

I feel like I have 30 hours of gameplay before I get enough samples to unlock everything, this is kinda crazy. where’d you get all your sampies?

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

veni veni veni posted:

Am I doing something wrong then? Warbond medals are limited to 250 and requisition is limited to 50,000 for me.

I don't know about sample limits since I feel like I'd rather just have fun on regular missions and get samples naturally instead of doing the poopsock Helldive Blitz Super Sample runs 24/7 or whatever.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

BitBasher posted:

Indoctrination from the Starship troopers informative video where NPH shoots off a leg then the brain stem.

It's just counterintuitive to both logic and years of training in games and media that you should aim for limbs over heads and center mass.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's a choice in game design that could be adapted to but it would only feel "fair" if there was a portion of the tutorial the explicitly and directly says "bug bodies are different soldier! Headshots are not instantly lethal and glowing guts are threats not weak points. Shoot the legs for democracy!"

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Dead Space severed the gaming gordian knot of aiming for the head / center of mass so I feel like exploring for weak spots is baseline now.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Infidelicious posted:

Indoctrination from the Starship troopers informative video where NPH shoots off a leg then the brain stem.

It's just counterintuitive to both logic and years of training in games and media that you should aim for limbs over heads and center mass.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

However for the big sack bugs you DO want to unload in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

everyone is also a disposable soldier fired out of orbital guns at enemies so your tutorial isn't going to be too in-depth

some things you need to figure out in the middle of World War Bug