Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Could be just restoring the town is easier to wave away any conspiracy theory of "the war hero went here and now everyone is dead, what happened?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

I wonder who at Shinra came up with the idea to just rebuild the town after Sephiroth killed everyone and pretend nothing happened. You'd think it would be easier and cheaper to just blame it on Wutai or Avalanche or something.

They still need it as a disguise for the Shinra Mansion and so they can pretend Sephiroth just died. Remember that Hojo was experimenting post-disaster

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ImpAtom posted:

I mean ti be fair the truth would sound like one.

SHINRA is experimenting on SPACE ALIENS. Famous soldier Sephiroth is part Alien! Horrifying Crossbreeds kept in evil lab just above Shinra Gym! SHINRA burnt down a town and rebuilt it exactly in secret!

SHINRA is putting JENOVA CELLS into the LIFESTREAM and making everyone EDGY

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Considering Shinra is very open about the fact that it's a utility company that fields a private army of Stormtroopers, killbots with circular saws for hands, genetically augmented monsters, enhanced supersoldiers, and vaguely Black Ops Turks, it makes you wonder why they even bother keeping all the Jenova stuff secret

"Yeah, we injected SOLDIERS with alien DNA, what of it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Asterite34 posted:

Considering Shinra is very open about the fact that it's a utility company that fields a private army of Stormtroopers, killbots with circular saws for hands, genetically augmented monsters, enhanced supersoldiers, and vaguely Black Ops Turks, it makes you wonder why they even bother keeping all the Jenova stuff secret

because when the soldiers themselves find out they go crazyballs

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

They haven't found a good way to work Jenova into a Stamp propaganda song yet.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

because when the soldiers themselves find out they go crazyballs

Look, it's not Jenova's fault that Shinra Public Relations hadn't gotten around to workshopping their messaging before Sephiroth found the hosed-up monster pods

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spermando posted:

Some nerd in a different forum who's read all the Japanese-only Motorola flip phone-exclusive novels has been writing reams of text for years saying (Intermission ending) those aren't Sector 7 survivors, but rather Sector 7 victims, and that it's all a vision in the lifestream and Zack did in fact die on that hill outside of Midgar. His main arguments are the fact that they reused the model of one of the boys who is seen in the intro and that the cross in the church is a different colour than the in-game asset. No-one takes him seriously, but who knows where they'll go with that.

I really like this theory and I think it makes a lot of sense. We'll see if it's reinforced or otherwise by Rebirth but I've started to think this is likely the case.

(Speculation, not spoilers, but it follows up on the spoilered text above so I'm blocking it out to be safe) The creative leads have said regularly that the Remake trilogy will generally follow the plot of FF7, just with an extra mystery on top. If Zack was actually alive or there were actually multiple timelines that were going to cross, that wouldn't be true--that would be a pretty massive change. But if Zack was dead and what we saw was him in the Lifestream, then I could see how that could go--Zack fighting from within the Lifestream and Cloud fighting in the material world. It'd also explain why Biggs woke up at the end of Remake: he didn't wake up in the real world, he "woke up" in the Lifestream. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Jesse and Wedge in "Zack's timeline" at some point, too.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Nibelheim incident question: Tifa was snuck out of town after the incident right? If not could she of been a victim of Hojo's continued experiments like Zack and Cloud?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Harrow posted:

I really like this theory and I think it makes a lot of sense. We'll see if it's reinforced or otherwise by Rebirth but I've started to think this is likely the case.

(Speculation, not spoilers, but it follows up on the spoilered text above so I'm blocking it out to be safe) The creative leads have said regularly that the Remake trilogy will generally follow the plot of FF7, just with an extra mystery on top. If Zack was actually alive or there were actually multiple timelines that were going to cross, that wouldn't be true--that would be a pretty massive change. But if Zack was dead and what we saw was him in the Lifestream, then I could see how that could go--Zack fighting from within the Lifestream and Cloud fighting in the material world. It'd also explain why Biggs woke up at the end of Remake: he didn't wake up in the real world, he "woke up" in the Lifestream. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Jesse and Wedge in "Zack's timeline" at some point, too.

Does that mean that the different Stamp on that bag of chips represents an earlier discontinued design for the character and its dead soul rejoined the Lifestream?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Azubah posted:

Nibelheim incident question: Tifa was snuck out of town after the incident right? If not could she of been a victim of Hojo's continued experiments like Zack and Cloud?

At least in the existing lore, her teacher Zangan snuck her out and took her to Midgar for medical treatment. If he hadn't done that and she had survived (which was a long shot, she was very badly hurt) then she might've ended up being experimented on, yeah.

Asterite34 posted:

Does that mean that the different Stamp on that bag of chips represents an earlier discontinued design for the character and its dead soul rejoined the Lifestream?

lmao that would rule if it was the explanation

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Actually, at what point did Shinra figure out that Jenova was actually a horrible alien horror and not an Ancient? Do they ever figure that out?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

To add on to this:

There's also an interview about Crisis Core where the Remake leads say that there is "no contradiction" between the ending of Crisis Core and the Remake ending and we'll have to wait until the end of the Remake trilogy to see why.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

All IP revisions end up in the lightstream.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Actually, at what point did Shinra figure out that Jenova was actually a horrible alien horror and not an Ancient? Do they ever figure that out?

Pretty sure that Hojo knows, though it's likely he's been lying to everyone about it, given he's corrupted with Jenova cells himself. IIRC it was the reason why he killed Professor Gast, because Aerith's mom told him that Jenova was a parasite. Gast went to go blow the whistle on the whole thing and Hojo had him assassinated.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
OK but wouldn't it really loving suck to have the afterlife just be a continuation of the misery of the living life? That's not The Promised Land of the Cetra, that's Purgatory.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gologle (Speculation chat, adding spoiler tags in case) posted:

OK but wouldn't it really loving suck to have the afterlife just be a continuation of the misery of the living life? That's not The Promised Land of the Cetra, that's Purgatory.

I think that is the point, if true: Because of Shinra loving up the planet by sucking out all the lifestream as Mako, everything is wrong and the souls within it are not getting any actual rest.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 24, 2024

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Oh, that's...honestly, that's actually a really good point.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’ll just say it, Weiss the Immaculate is cool and I’m glad to see him again. Nero would be alright if he didn’t wear a mask or his mask matched his outfit

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

So, I was an FF fanatic for my whole childhood/teen/some college, with 7 and 8 my favorites, but basically stopped playing ‘em after FF13.

I don’t play games much anymore, but usually once a year or two I binge something new, except I only have a Switch. Last year it was like 200hrs into Tears of the Kingdom.

Is it worth getting a PS5 for Remake and Rebirth? Money isn’t much of an issue, it’s more of like, if all the other FF junkies it’s been like “yes these are the remakes you always wanted 10 years after the games came out and PS2/3 was peaking”

Looking at the trailer I’m almost sold, especially since I could play both of them now…

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
If you have a decent computer, absolutely not, get them on Steam.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gologle posted:

If you have a decent computer, absolutely not, get them on Steam.

Especially because the game is insanely easily moddable, so you can do all sorts of fun and cool poo poo with it that you can't on the PS4/PS5.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

PS5 is a great console with a lot on it; both for the console itself and the PS4 library, which you can play on it. That said, I agree with the others, if you have a decent PC then it's probably better to get it on the PC. If not, the PS5 is an excellent alternative.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Crazyweasel posted:

So, I was an FF fanatic for my whole childhood/teen/some college, with 7 and 8 my favorites, but basically stopped playing ‘em after FF13.

I don’t play games much anymore, but usually once a year or two I binge something new, except I only have a Switch. Last year it was like 200hrs into Tears of the Kingdom.

Is it worth getting a PS5 for Remake and Rebirth? Money isn’t much of an issue, it’s more of like, if all the other FF junkies it’s been like “yes these are the remakes you always wanted 10 years after the games came out and PS2/3 was peaking”

Looking at the trailer I’m almost sold, especially since I could play both of them now…

As someone with your same background, assuming money isn't an issue. Yes. It's amazing and everything 7 year old me wanted in a remake/sequel

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Played the demo. Hate to say it but I actually found it a bit boring. It was just kind of plodding with me wishing I could just hurry poo poo up. The vent vacuum in particular was a wtf. I also read that the full game is full of open world busy work, which I hate.

The graphics at 30 frames are nice, but the game is running at 30 frames which isn't nice. Performance mode seemed to immediately lock it to 1080p which also looked quite bad.

I'll get the game and play it, and I'm sure I'll love it after I get back into the story, but based on the demo I'm very unenthusiastic about it.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

My copy shipped from Amazon :toot:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Mad Hamish posted:

This is just making me imagine in-universe WEAPON truthers who go on the Internet PHS Network or whatever it is and angrily post about how WEAPON doesn't exist and Shin-Ra Tower was blown up by Wutese nationalists in a plot to hide the secret mythril mine in the basement. The Sector 7 Plate didn't drop because it was a hologram and never really existed to begin with.

Posting SHINRA DID SECTOR SEVEN over and over again until a Turk personally shows up to my house in Gongaga

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

I think that is the point, if true: Because of Shinra loving up the planet by sucking out all the lifestream as Mako, everything is wrong and the souls within it are not getting any actual rest.

It seems even less likely that they'd linger like that, though, since lifestream is "recycled" to create new life. Less lifestream seems like it would mean more need for the remaining lifestream to be "recycled."

Also, it seems like Shinra's actions would straight-up wipe out/erase a bunch of "souls," rather than send them to purgatory. Don't Mako reactors straight-up burn them up?

One thing to keep in mind (and I have no idea exactly what this implies, I'm only mentioning it because it might be relevant in some way) is that the lifestream is constantly referred to as "memories" rather than something like "souls." And there seems to be an implication that it influences (or reflects, or both) actual events, like with the post-credits imagery in Crisis Core that shows various "threads" of the lifestream coming together followed by a flash and then the opening cutscene of FF7, which seems to imply that stuff like Zack's death (and his memories ending up in the lifestream) directly caused the events of FF7 in some way.

The Ever Crisis opening (the gacha game that is seemingly still canon since characters from it apparently show up in Rebirth) is even more explicit, and begins with an image of the lifestream and (I think) Sephiroth saying "The lifestream is the essence of the planet. A churning river of memories. As they come together and drift apart, a story is given shape. An unprecedented tale. Another possibility." It seems like the lifestream itself might be a sort of timeline, or something. Like a "timeline" and "the collective memories of the world" might just be one and the same.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

SHINRA is putting JENOVA CELLS into the LIFESTREAM and making everyone EDGY

SHINRA is putting THINGS in the WATER that make the FRICKIN FROGS GAY

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JBP posted:

The vent vacuum in particular was a wtf.

Yeah that's the one thing that stood out to me as absolutely bizarre and terrible busywork.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

stev posted:

Yeah that's the one thing that stood out to me as absolutely bizarre and terrible busywork.

Oh haha the cord is too short you need to push a button and drag this stupid poo poo back around while it gets jammed on everything in the way. This is how we made it. We made the game like this.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

JBP posted:

Oh haha the cord is too short you need to push a button and drag this stupid poo poo back around while it gets jammed on everything in the way. This is how we made it. We made the game like this.

Or whenever you need to hold a button down to do something it seems like it takes twice as long as it should. I liked the demo, and I'm getting Rebirth, but come on Square.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Are the pixel versions of the party part of the Fort Condor mini game?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Are the pixel versions of the party part of the Fort Condor mini game?

In a few minigames yeah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

It is a joke. Like I can get not liking the joke but it's pretty bluntly a joke. They do the same thing later on where you have to slowly guide a chicken by shaking a can (which, admittedly, leads to one of the funniest punchlines in the game.) Most of the minigames aren't like that.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ImpAtom posted:

It is a joke. Like I can get not liking the joke but it's pretty bluntly a joke. They do the same thing later on where you have to slowly guide a chicken by shaking a can (which, admittedly, leads to one of the funniest punchlines in the game.) Most of the minigames aren't like that.

I don't get it. It's an immediate, clunky momentum killer, it has no meaning or consequence or payoff of any kind. It's a slow, painstaking void of video games. It's padding, inside padding. Most egregiously, if you're in on this apparent joke and try to save yourself the time by pushing it through the door immediately, you'll be unable to reach that first gas pocket. If the rest of the minigames aren't like this, that's good, although it just makes it weirder that this specific one, this pair of minutes which cannot fail to make the player think "this sucks, I wish it would be over", is not only still in the game, but one of the first tastes of gameplay they offer (outside the piano and very introductory battles) in their demo.

In absolute terms there is only so mad I can get about this maybe 90 collected seconds of nothing but it's so weird that they bothered to do this when they could have simply Not, and saved both themselves and us the time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah actively doing annoying things constantly is very funny. The first game had them as well. Artificially inflating the highs because you were recently annoyed by a "joke".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

I don't get it. It's an immediate, clunky momentum killer, it has no meaning or consequence or payoff of any kind. It's a slow, painstaking void of video games. It's padding, inside padding. Most egregiously, if you're in on this apparent joke and try to save yourself the time by pushing it through the door immediately, you'll be unable to reach that first gas pocket. If the rest of the minigames aren't like this, that's good, although it just makes it weirder that this specific one, this pair of minutes which cannot fail to make the player think "this sucks, I wish it would be over", is not only still in the game, but one of the first tastes of gameplay they offer (outside the piano and very introductory battles) in their demo.

In absolute terms there is only so mad I can get about this maybe 90 collected seconds of nothing but it's so weird that they bothered to do this when they could have simply Not, and saved both themselves and us the time.

The joke is that Sephiroth is telling you, the grunt soldier rookie SOLDIER to do tedious stuff while he watches. Like that's the entire joke, you're being given the poo poo grunt work because you are a poo poo grunt because you are lower on the chain of command.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

The joke is that Sephiroth is telling you, the grunt soldier rookie SOLDIER to do tedious stuff while he watches. Like that's the entire joke, you're being given the poo poo grunt work because you are a poo poo grunt because you are lower on the chain of command.

This joke could be done by making you push it for five seconds or an actually funny five second component of one of the many, many cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

This joke could be done by making you push it for five seconds or an actually funny five second component of one of the many, many cutscenes.

I mean if you genuinely feel the latter way you may want to not buy the game because Rebirth genuinely near-constantly is asking you to do different poo poo. I'm not saying this in a dismissive way, I'm saying it in a "this is the active stated intention of the game to throw tons of different things at you which could have been glossed over but, like in FF7 itself, are instead goofy minigames of varying quality" and if that bugs you then I can see you not enjoying the game.