Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok I don’t want to say criminals are dumb because a lot of them aren’t but it seems like every week there’s a video of an Apple Store getting robbed in broad daylight when it’s most convenient imo. But I’m pretty sure these robbers know these units are all going to be locked so what happens to these stolen iPhones/ipads/macs? Are they being parted out? Is the money from that even worth the risk? Aren’t most Apple parts soft locked anyway to their T chip these days? Are there Apple chop shops?

I am told, based on Find My data from people who had their phones pilfered, that the phones are immediately shipped back to China (usually around or near Shenzhen) to be disassembled and used for parts (by the thieves) if possible.

So yes, there are Apple chop shops, on that side of the Pacific Ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Quackles posted:

I am told, based on Find My data from people who had their phones pilfered, that the phones are immediately shipped back to China (usually around or near Shenzhen) to be disassembled and used for parts (by the thieves) if possible.

There have been a string of posts in r/scams where someone's iPhone was pilfered, ended up in China and someone from the chop shop tries to tick and then threaten the victim into turning off Find My.

If they can't sell the stolen phone, they gut it for parts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We also had one of those in this thread a couple of months ago.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Aphrodite posted:

We also had one of those in this thread a couple of months ago.

Yeah I remember it. My friend got his phone stolen too and they went the whole scam, then threaten route. They all end up in some coastal Chinese city where they try to social engineer the keys to the kingdom before being chopped up

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok I don’t want to say criminals are dumb because a lot of them aren’t but it seems like every week there’s a video of an Apple Store getting robbed in broad daylight when it’s most convenient imo. But I’m pretty sure these robbers know these units are all going to be locked so what happens to these stolen iPhones/ipads/macs? Are they being parted out? Is the money from that even worth the risk? Aren’t most Apple parts soft locked anyway to their T chip these days? Are there Apple chop shops?

There are absolutely Apple chop shops, and they’ll either fraudulently sell them claiming they’re clean or sell them for parts. iPhone theft and robbery is still a huge issue.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Also if you’re coming across weekly smash and grab videos in your regular news feed I’d look at where you’re getting your news from because stuff like that is usually used to fear monger about rising crime and all the various political intricacies of promoting that type of content.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

American McGay posted:

Also if you’re coming across weekly smash and grab videos in your regular news feed I’d look at where you’re getting your news from because stuff like that is usually used to fear monger about rising crime and all the various political intricacies of promoting that type of content.

I get it but it’s just like local news abc7. It’s like if you watch one you get fed all of them even if it isn’t some racist influencer but just local news videos lol. I may be wrong but I don’t remember broad daylight casually clearing Apple Store tables being a thing pre pandemic. It’s definitely a new trend.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

Counter point it’s actually happening a lot here in LA which is why it’s making the local news

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Shaocaholica posted:

It’s definitely a new trend.

https://www.google.com/search?q=-si...F15%2F2020&tbm=

It's literally always been a thing to the point that the products apple puts out aren't even fully specced/capable products, just demo models. Calling it a "new trend" is falling for the exact thing fear mongering news aims to do.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Shaocaholica posted:

I get it but it’s just like local news abc7. It’s like if you watch one you get fed all of them even if it isn’t some racist influencer but just local news videos lol. I may be wrong but I don’t remember broad daylight casually clearing Apple Store tables being a thing pre pandemic. It’s definitely a new trend.

quote:

It is the one great weakness of journalism as a picture of our modern existence, that it must be a picture made up entirely of exceptions. We announce on flaring posters that a man has fallen off a scaffolding. We do not announce on flaring posters that a man has not fallen off a scaffolding. Yet this latter fact is fundamentally more exciting, as indicating that that moving tower of terror and mystery, a man, is still abroad upon the earth. That the man has not fallen off a scaffolding is really more sensational; and it is also some thousand times more common.

But journalism cannot reasonably be expected thus to insist upon the permanent miracles. Busy editors cannot be expected to put on their posters, "Mr. Wilkinson Still Safe," or "Mr. Jones, of Worthing, Not Dead Yet." They cannot announce the happiness of mankind at all. They cannot describe all the forks that are not stolen, or all the marriages that are not judiciously dissolved. Hence the complex picture they give of life is of necessity fallacious; they can only represent what is unusual. However democratic they may be, they are only concerned with the minority.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Shaocaholica posted:

I have no idea the actual answer but I assume part of the equation is selling the soon to be hosed or already hosed phones ASAP below market value to unsuspecting buyers and disappearing with the money before the buyers figure out they got hosed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Quackles posted:

This happened to me after I attended a music fest last year. The week of slowly-escalating until they got pretty unhinged threats were pretty funny. Funny as getting your 2-week old iPhone 15 Pro stolen can be, anyway.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Counter point it’s actually happening a lot here in LA which is why it’s making the local news

It might not even be some sort of dog-whistle journalism, but maybe a real product of living near a major seaport that routinely has ships going back and forth between China. I mean, if you're in the business of boosting iphones to get them to China, SoCal is probably a pretty good place to do that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Back to charging for a sec, I saw someone's phone that wouldn't charge to 100% on their wakeup time.
It seems like it might be trying to use your commute as the "charge to 100% step" which is clever, if perhaps fraught with exceptions where it won't work.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I dunno, the Apple sports app is kinda exactly what I want? I just want to know the score of the games I care about when they’re happening, and not having to load an ad and tracker-laden pile of dogshit webapp or page is precisely what I want. Get the NFL and Dynamic Island support (always show me a live Blackhawks score, please, I need to know if they’re going to lose their 30th straight game in real time) in there and I’ll never load espn.com again.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

smr posted:

I dunno, the Apple sports app is kinda exactly what I want? I just want to know the score of the games I care about when they’re happening, and not having to load an ad and tracker-laden pile of dogshit webapp or page is precisely what I want. Get the NFL and Dynamic Island support (always show me a live Blackhawks score, please, I need to know if they’re going to lose their 30th straight game in real time) in there and I’ll never load espn.com again.

Siri/Search actually has a nice little sports tracker built in. Just pull up search on your phone and type "nba scores" or "mlb scores" and it's give you a list of games, times, scores, stats, what channel they're on, all kinds of good stuff.

I use it a lot during NFL season

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

smr posted:

I feel the same way. Wish it did more sports but I’m sure they’ll add them.

I don’t even care about Dynamic Island stuff, I don’t want to be spoiled, and normally those auto notification sports apps are ahead of the streaming services.

I watch soccer at the bar a lot and one guy’s phone would go off like 30s before someone would score and we were getting ready to beat him up.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there a way to do computational daytime long exposures on a 15 Pro Max? E.g. to smooth out or show the movement of bodies of water. Something along the lines of how the default camera app on newer Pixels does it (which I assume takes a burst of exposures then aligns them and then blends them together to show the movement) rather than using a camera app w/ manual controls + tripod to leave the shutter open for some number of seconds. This is the main feature I'm missing coming from a Pixel 7 Pro, as the implementation works really well and doesn't require any extra steps. From what I've read it sounds like this is possible via the default iOS camera app, albeit with an extra step, if I turn on Live Photos (which I've had off), so I guess I'll give that a try, but any trip reports or other recommended approaches would be appreciated.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sports-alerts/id432450349

Don't worry about the new apple one for a while. This is excellent and only has a minimal ad in it. It reeks of being programmed out of spite that all the other sports apps were terrible.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I want to save photos directly to a specific photo album. What’s the best way to create a shortcut that works everywhere via the share icon?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Apple launching a sports app without dynamic island or live activity support is crazy to me. Regardless of how useful you think those things are, the whole point of Apple's tightly controlled ecosystem they have between their hardware and software is so they can do stuff like that.

I just use the ESPN app for all my sports, works fine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MY WIFE has a new iPhone 15 Pro Max, and sometimes when she picks it up the display is off (she uses AOD) and when she presses the power button it shows that it’s booting from off. it’s happened 3 times in the few weeks she’s had the phone, and I can’t figure out what might be causing it. battery is fine each time, wasn’t on a charger, no OS update indicator

maybe a defective unit? it’ll be annoying to try troubleshooting steps because it’s so infrequent…

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Subjunctive posted:

MY WIFE has a new iPhone 15 Pro Max, and sometimes when she picks it up the display is off (she uses AOD) and when she presses the power button it shows that it’s booting from off. it’s happened 3 times in the few weeks she’s had the phone, and I can’t figure out what might be causing it. battery is fine each time, wasn’t on a charger, no OS update indicator

maybe a defective unit? it’ll be annoying to try troubleshooting steps because it’s so infrequent…

Hard to tell if it's hardware or software.

Usual steps for troubleshooting poo poo:

Make sure phone is on the latest iOS
hard reset
wipe/restore
wipe/restore but do not load backup

if the issue persists call apple.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah it’s all up to date but we haven’t tried reinstalling. it would be hard to know if it got fixed without just waiting a month(?) to see if it happens again, bleh

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Subjunctive posted:

Could it be the case that's not fitting properly?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

glassyalabolas posted:

Could it be the case that's not fitting properly?

well that’s an angle I hadn’t thought of. can’t imagine getting her to go without a case for a week or two, but I’ll inspect it closely and see if it looks like it’s encroaching on the power button

thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

well that’s an angle I hadn’t thought of. can’t imagine getting her to go without a case for a week or two, but I’ll inspect it closely and see if it looks like it’s encroaching on the power button

thanks!

When Apple first added the "call 911 when you hold down the power button" feature, it went ham and called 911 repeatedly on my wife's phone while she was driving and getting on the highway. She was trying to explain she had no idea what was going on and the 911 operator was getting pissed. Once they'd hang up, it would just call back again. I think she either ripped her case off mid-drive or turned the phone off. She had me turn the option off when she got home.

So yeah, cases can cause errant button presses.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This happened to me after I attended a music fest last year. The week of slowly-escalating until they got pretty unhinged threats were pretty funny. Funny as getting your 2-week old iPhone 15 Pro stolen can be, anyway.

gently caress, sorry to hear that. Did you have the level of applecare to replace a stolen phone?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

gently caress, sorry to hear that. Did you have the level of applecare to replace a stolen phone?

NOPE

$1500 later, I do now though!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Sri.Theo posted:

I want to save photos directly to a specific photo album. What’s the best way to create a shortcut that works everywhere via the share icon?
I'm pretty sure this does what you need, adding images to an album from the Photos app, from web pages and from running the Shortcut itself.

• Create a new Shortcut, press the little (i) button at the bottom to enable Show in Share Sheet.
  • In the "Receive input from Share Sheet" bit that shows up, I disabled everything but images, media and URLs (to allow saving images from webpages via the Share Sheet), but you don't have to. In the dropdown menu, I have it to Include: All and Select Multiple ON. When there's no input (i.e. you're running the Shortcut directly) I have it asking for photos.
  • Add a new "Save to Photo Album" action. Select Shortcut Input as the item to save and pick your album you're saving to.

That should basically be it.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 23, 2024

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So if I’m signed into iCloud on a phone or iPad and I sync 1000s of photos then I sign out of iCloud those photos remain. If I sign back into iCloud will I now have a duplicate of every photo?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shaocaholica posted:

So if I’m signed into iCloud on a phone or iPad and I sync 1000s of photos then I sign out of iCloud those photos remain. If I sign back into iCloud will I now have a duplicate of every photo?

No, it's the cloud that now has duplicates (assuming your phone/tablet is set to keep the originals), but in the Photos App, you only see one copy of each image, because it knows they are the source.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mister Facetious posted:

No, it's the cloud that now has duplicates (assuming your phone/tablet is set to keep the originals), but in the Photos App, you only see one copy of each image, because it knows they are the source.

But that’s still bad tho. I don’t want duplicates in the cloud. I guess I’ll delete them before signing back in.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shaocaholica posted:

But that’s still bad tho. I don’t want duplicates in the cloud. I guess I’ll delete them before signing back in.

If you want to remove cloud copies but keep the originals, go to Settings > your name/iCloud > Photos > Manage Storage > Turn Off and Delete From iCloud

But MAKE SURE "Download and Keep Originals" is checked!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I want to know why, when I'm listening to a podcast in the car via bluetooth from my phone, about once a month or so when I'm maneuvering into or out of the slow streets near my house, the playback speed will suddenly switch to 1.5x or 2x without being asked to do so.

This has happened for years now, living in three different neighborhoods in two different states.

No I would really like someone to explain this

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Data Graham posted:

I want to know why, when I'm listening to a podcast in the car via bluetooth from my phone, about once a month or so when I'm maneuvering into or out of the slow streets near my house, the playback speed will suddenly switch to 1.5x or 2x without being asked to do so.

This has happened for years now, living in three different neighborhoods in two different states.

You can blame some guy named Einstein for this. You see time is relative and to the Bluetooth device it’s moving faster than you so it’s time is sped up.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

you know how npr talks about "driveway moments" where you keep sitting in your car after you get home to listen to the end of a story? this killed a lot of people from carbon monoxide poisoning. apple is just trying to help you finish the episode before you die

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

you know how npr talks about "driveway moments" where you keep sitting in your car after you get home to listen to the end of a story? this killed a lot of people from carbon monoxide poisoning. apple is just trying to help you finish the episode before you die

Wait, people were apparently killed in their running cars in large numbers because they were too into talk radio or podcasts?

Were they like, mostly activists or something?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

NPR and carbon monoxide are a dangerous double dose of soporifics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

NPR and carbon monoxide are a dangerous double dose of soporifics

ira glass has the highest body count of any serial killer