Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

THEY SAID NOT TO gently caress THE STUDENTS, I DIDN'T gently caress THE STUDENTS.

GAWD.

All the corpshorses and all the corpsmen couldn't put the students back together again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
There were like 9 emails in an otherwise dead folder of mine where retired folk decreed the death of the sea service due to this change.

How many Ativan did they have to feed the chiefs mess to get this small insignificant change through?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wake me up when they don’t care about facial hair and focus on uniforms that take the local climate in effect.

Short sleeve NWU in Hawaii with shorts.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

Wake me up when they don’t care about facial hair and focus on uniforms that take the local climate in effect.

Short sleeve NWU in Hawaii with shorts.

Tropical whites with the longest socks ever

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Look, you can roll your blouse sleeves up in the most awkward, bizarre, and uncomfortable way possible, that used to leave nasty red marks on my biceps. What more do you want?

No, you cannot unblouse even though it's 95 out and humid as gently caress, wear your thick rear end "shirt" that's closer to a jacket.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elviscat posted:

Look, you can roll your blouse sleeves up in the most awkward, bizarre, and uncomfortable way possible, that used to leave nasty red marks on my biceps. What more do you want?

No, you cannot unblouse even though it's 95 out and humid as gently caress, wear your thick rear end "shirt" that's closer to a jacket.

I remember moving water tight hatches off the ship (carrier) in 95+ degrees and our chief told us to deblouse while we’re working so we do and we got stopped by every single chief as we have these 70 pound doors in our hands from hanger bay 3 to hangar bay 1 and my first response was always, “it’s loving hot chief” and it just kept going until I said, “our chief told us to” then they’d finally leave us the gently caress alone.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah I’m not the most buff guy but even I get circulation issues when I properly blouse my top.
This said I did go to a dry cleaner in Virginia Beach (behind the hooters) who offered to do a sneaky permanently bloused NWU top by removing two layers of folding so it still looked properly folded but wouldn’t come undone and less bulk… I should have done it.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Give Bad Guy some sailor's credit, that wasn't at sea.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah I’m not the most buff guy but even I get circulation issues when I properly blouse my top.
This said I did go to a dry cleaner in Virginia Beach (behind the hooters) who offered to do a sneaky permanently bloused NWU top by removing two layers of folding so it still looked properly folded but wouldn’t come undone and less bulk… I should have done it.

You should have. You used to be able to get short sleeves on your utility shirt at the cleaners too.

I think. That was a long rear end time ago

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

But... but... but how will you become impervious to bullets and fire when you can't "battle dress".

Anita Dickinme posted:

I remember moving water tight hatches off the ship (carrier) in 95+ degrees and our chief told us to deblouse while we’re working so we do and we got stopped by every single chief as we have these 70 pound doors in our hands from hanger bay 3 to hangar bay 1 and my first response was always, “it’s loving hot chief” and it just kept going until I said, “our chief told us to” then they’d finally leave us the gently caress alone.

We had the A/C units down in-hull in Ballston Spa, and it was like 105⁰, the shift lieutenant ordered us to deblouse inhull. LCPO comes in later and throws a loving fit about it, telling us LT can't authorize uniform changes and we shouldn't have listened to him and poo poo.

Same dude who's favorite hobby was measuring the female officer's buns with a loving machinist scale.

"I can't take my jacket off when I'm way too hot" is one of those things you can't explain to people who haven't experienced it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elviscat posted:

But... but... but how will you become impervious to bullets and fire when you can't "battle dress".

We had the A/C units down in-hull in Ballston Spa, and it was like 105⁰, the shift lieutenant ordered us to deblouse inhull. LCPO comes in later and throws a loving fit about it, telling us LT can't authorize uniform changes and we shouldn't have listened to him and poo poo.

Same dude who's favorite hobby was measuring the female officer's buns with a loving machinist scale.

"I can't take my jacket off when I'm way too hot" is one of those things you can't explain to people who haven't experienced it.

If I was an officer and he tried to measure my buns I would make his life hell.
Also how the gently caress does he not know the chain of command?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Crab Dad posted:

Also how the gently caress does he not know the chain of command?

What he probably really means is that he's willing to throw a fit to the CMC to force the issue and count on XO trusting CMC more than their JOs. Works well against weak officers.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

quote:

DeFant, the report said, told the officer “‘when I say I’m tired of this problem, I’m really saying I’m tired of you’ or words to that effect.”

Imagine getting fired for being this cool

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So I was delivering some Girl Scout cookies and when I got out of my car I noticed a fire alarm and very heavy smoke coming from an apartment. The person I was delivering cookies to ran with me to the apartment and while I went in to check for people he grabbed an extinguisher and put out the active fire on the stove. There was a woman and child and they were fine. The smoke drove us out but the fire was apparently dead when the FD showed up.
I want to bring his actions up with his chain of command since he’s just an E5 and things can matter. What’s the best way to bring his actions to light for them?
I’ve never considered this for anyone before but I was pretty impressed with his actions (and stamina, I’m coughing up a goddamn lung).

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Too much time spent being feted by nice old ladies

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Crab Dad posted:

So I was delivering some Girl Scout cookies and when I got out of my car I noticed a fire alarm and very heavy smoke coming from an apartment. The person I was delivering cookies to ran with me to the apartment and while I went in to check for people he grabbed an extinguisher and put out the active fire on the stove. There was a woman and child and they were fine. The smoke drove us out but the fire was apparently dead when the FD showed up.
I want to bring his actions up with his chain of command since he’s just an E5 and things can matter. What’s the best way to bring his actions to light for them?
I’ve never considered this for anyone before but I was pretty impressed with his actions (and stamina, I’m coughing up a goddamn lung).

use your PO1 CAT 5 touching powers to find out who their CO is and email them

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

use your PO1 CAT 5 touching powers to find out who their CO is and email them

Please we use CAT6 now. Should be easy enough he serves on the busted Connecticut.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Crab Dad posted:

Write up a summary of what happened and email it to his LPO/chief set every printer in the command to print it nonstop until they give him a NAM.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Please we use CAT6 now. Should be easy enough he serves on the busted Connecticut.

DM or text me if you need a PoC on the 22, I probably know the E5 too.

E: maybe not, I've been out for almost two years now :toot:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Attaboys all around regardless.

e: Its fun to poo poo on Crab Dad because you know when it comes to be serious, hes going to actually go into things on fire rather than run away from them.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 21, 2024

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SquirrelyPSU posted:

e: Its fun to poo poo on Crab Dad because you know when it comes to be serious, hes going to actually go into things on fire rather than run away from them.

I mean obviously, he joined the reserves

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ok I went to the barge and was able to tell the CO personally what his sailor did. Emailed him too.
Apparently a nice guy. Curious how this shakes out.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

Ok I went to the barge and was able to tell the CO personally what his sailor did. Emailed him too.

Crab Dad, while you're doing absolutely everything right and elevating this sailor to showcase the outstanding work he did to put out the fire, I really hope that someone is making sure you get some recognition too. You made certain that the mother and child were safe and got out of there.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ChowdahHill/status/1760372918884712713?t=vespTs9YadgOyHs8-CQOyA&s=19

Gonna be a great Captain's Mast for not showing up for your Captain's cookie

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I had a reservist show up late one time on a weekend, no big deal I was like what's up, "Sorry about being late." No worries it's a reserve weekend if your boss doesnt care I don't care and your boss isn't changed out of civvies yet.

Anyways an hour or two later the police call asking for some information on the reservist. I think the worst but turns out he had stopped for a disabled car, which was on fire, he had smashed in the back window and crawled into the car, then pulled the driver out through the rear because the doors weren't working.

When I asked him about he was like, "I didn't say anything because I didn't want to get in trouble."

BRUH

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The Valley Stared posted:

Crab Dad, while you're doing absolutely everything right and elevating this sailor to showcase the outstanding work he did to put out the fire, I really hope that someone is making sure you get some recognition too. You made certain that the mother and child were safe and got out of there.

Thank you, it’s really up the commander because I’m not reporting my own efforts. I followed up with the visit with an email. If he feels that he should I’ll be fine with that but I’ll take care of the junior sailors in my life first.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Crab Dad posted:

Thank you, it’s really up the commander because I’m not reporting my own efforts. I followed up with the visit with an email. If he feels that he should I’ll be fine with that but I’ll take care of the junior sailors in my life first.

o7

seriously, you're a good egg.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

o7

seriously, you're a good egg.

I just left Hawaii AT orders with 3k in per diem after eating for like 30 bucks a day.
I’m getting mine.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Crab Dad posted:

In my experience it's always fairly easy to get people recognized for doing stuff like that, good on you for following up though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

He showed up at a 3AM reactor cool-down brief to bring us cinnamon rolls his wife had made from scratch.

Dude Crab Dad is trying to get recognized is a good dude too, E: so thanks for doing that and getting him some well deserved recognition.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 21, 2024

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Crab Dad, I've got your name saved in my phone. I'm gonna hit up eNavFit or whatever and put you in for an MRE as soon as I can figure out your TRUIC.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Crab Dad, I've got your name saved in my phone. I'm gonna hit up eNavFit or whatever and put you in for an MRE as soon as I can figure out your TRUIC.

Man I love a free lunch. Where can I get it?

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/ChowdahHill/status/1760372918884712713?t=vespTs9YadgOyHs8-CQOyA&s=19

Gonna be a great Captain's Mast for not showing up for your Captain's cookie

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-navy-aircraft-carrier-captain-chris-hill-houthis-red-sea-2024-2

Edit: One of the pimply nerds that my brother used to teach guitar to ended up as a CAG. He has videos on his phone of the guy shredding in his stateroom.

elsanto fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 23, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Doin what he can which is kinda cool

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The sailor I reported to his command got a call out on Friday and a captain’s personal coin.
Good eval point.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Lol wtf

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Goes without saying but gently caress the navy lol

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That's literally navy and marine corps medal territory what a crock of poo poo. Homie literally saved two people's lives which is what that medal is generally awarded for.

If they think that running into a burning house is not at the level of a Navy and Marine Corps Medal, a Bronze Star (without V)may also be awarded for heroic action, and is lower in precedence.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 24, 2024

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
no no no. the NAM is for when the yeomen file paperwork on time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ded posted:

no no no. the NAM is for when the yeomen file paperwork on time

No, a NAM is not a Navy and Marine Corps Medal.

A NAM is bullshit candy, a Navy and Marine Corps Medal is awarded for heroic action at risk of ones own life to save lives. It's pretty high precedence but warranted for running into a burning building to save people's lives.

Crab Dad, literally both of you should be getting that awarded.

You have a compelling case to get that medal, and a loving captains coin is a cop out.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 24, 2024