Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The phrasing makes me imagine that he thinks there's an islamist moon base with a crack team of operators puppeting sadiq around like they're playing QWOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The phrasing makes me imagine that he thinks there's an islamist moon base with a crack team of operators puppeting sadiq around like they're playing QWOP.

It's clearly right next to the Nazi moon base from iron sky. They probably even share the same helium 3 mine.

In other news, what are everyone's taken on the new culture war and the upcoming US election not being divided along rich or poor so much as being about woke vs unwoke?

I'm hearing it bandied about a lot lately in online spaces where thread favorite sensible liberal types like to congregate. Like the daily show, guardian, hignfy, private eye crowd.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 24, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I've seen it coming since Brexit that UK politics looked set to eventually divide between liberal metropolitan "no judgment or discrimination, but also no infrastructure" austerity fans and BNP style "free housing, free water, free flag, free permission to say the n-word" nationalists.

But the public seems fed up with culture wars and it's no fun for the bigots when the loyal opposition just agrees, so I can imagine the US getting somewhere around there first.

(Where do the Jewish space lasers fit in with the moon bases?)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Have people ever voted according to class interest? It's a factor obviously but I don't think you can explain near constant conservative rule other than the british public being extremely thick and obsessed with stupid poo poo rather than their actual material conditions.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Mebh posted:

Totally different from Braverman saying the entire country is run by islamists which is fine and dandy of course.
yeah, the quote that got him suspended was him disagreeing with her

perfectly fine for senior government officials to say that the foul hordes of unwashed foreign islamo-nazis have seized control of the country in a vast conspiracy with traitors from within, they just can't name any specific traitors

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

smellmycheese posted:

https://x.com/samcoatessky/status/1761405110305857605?s=46

He can get a “Too Racist for the Tories” T Shirt

lol when I try to search for lee andersson, google gives me Li Andersson, the chairwoman of Finnish Left Alliance (a solid good person). Well, Li and Lee are pronounced the same...

Thanks Alphabet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Have people ever voted according to class interest? It's a factor obviously but I don't think you can explain near constant conservative rule other than the british public being extremely thick and obsessed with stupid poo poo rather than their actual material conditions.
Strict Marxian economic class? No, I doubt it, that's why you get all these vanguard parties saying "but if you let us run things for a bit, they will!"

Other dialectic style classes, like how Steve Biko would say "under apartheid, race is a class" (not because it's real, but because the class structure tried to make it so) have done though, which often also includes to some degree religion, gender, and local region.

I think it only goes into the state of being a culture war if it's a top down directed game strategy to get voters to focus on tokens over material issues, in the main intention of only really doing the bad stuff from their side if they win.

Apraxin posted:

yeah, the quote that got him suspended was him disagreeing with her

perfectly fine for senior government officials to say that the foul hordes of unwashed foreign islamo-nazis have seized control of the country in a vast conspiracy with traitors from within, they just can't name any specific traitors
It was probably slandering a named person (with resources (outside of Parliament)) that they're considering crossing the line, so less that they dislike him for being racist and more that they dislike him for being stupid on TV.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Culture War stuff is most effective when you're just kinda vague on the details. "Oh, we all know the names of the Labour politicians who are just shadow puppets for Hamas" works because everyone gets to pick their own most-hated politicians! I mean, Wes Streeting certainly could be an op (although a gay fascist is an unlikely pick for Hamas).
When you're actually specific about things, it's harder to maintain the ildelusion. "Oh, you're saying the guy who gave free school meals to every child in London is an agent for Al-Qaeda? Sure thing, bud."

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
after the election there’s gonna be a hundred ex-Tory MPs wanting their own show on GBN, he’s just staking his claim early

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Mebh posted:

It's clearly right next to the Nazi moon base from iron sky. They probably even share the same helium 3 mine.

In other news, what are everyone's taken on the new culture war and the upcoming US election not being divided along rich or poor so much as being about woke vs unwoke?

I'm hearing it bandied about a lot lately in online spaces where thread favorite sensible liberal types like to congregate. Like the daily show, guardian, hignfy, private eye crowd.

The only error is believing the culture war is new. America has always been too big to form a core cultural identity naturally, and the people who try and forcibly create them tend to be motivated in ways that polarize the nation. In the past century the primary focus has been to keep the rural working class separate from the urban working class. Effectively, telling the farm laborer he has more in common with his boss than the coffee server. That's the person the truck aesthetic and baggage is aimed at. As a bonus feature it also pries out the white working class in small towns and cities. Woke essentially just means that you recognize that culture and social institutions harm people. The US has no class solidarity, because 30% of the country is willing to get punched tjust to see another 20% punched twice.

Its just that one side had a strategy that took decades to bear fruit. Its only in the last 8 years that the face eating leopard finally ate the face of its apologizing centrist handlers.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mick lynch posted:

I support getting rid of this government and I’m a realist – the only government we’re going to get as an alternative will be led by Keir Starmer, so people have to deal with that, people have got to grow up a bit in some senses.

I mean it's not exactly full blooded support but...

Hmmm is "full blooded" an ok thing to say?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Discriminates against draculas on diets.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Isn't it normally full-bodied support anyway?

Also, https://twitter.com/dandouglas/status/1761421731003027900

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Tesseraction posted:

Isn't it normally full-bodied support anyway?

No

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

“Full-throated” is the usual term

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh right full-bodied is about flavour. Full-blooded is about vigour.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Microplastics posted:

Sitting in a cafe off trafalgar square and, overhearing a conversation, heard someone say "but a ceasefire, a ceasefire doesn't do anything, it just stops the killing"

:psyduck:

I think this is why noise cancelling headphones were invented.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Red-throated support

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tower Bridge is trending. I wondered if a Royal had died, but it turns out the gammons are furious that the protesters shut down Tower Bridge today, with many saying that this is proof that Lee Anderson is correct. I won't share any of their tweets, but I'll post a positive one two of these loving heroes
https://twitter.com/AbuAmaanah/status/1761475305024188598
https://twitter.com/Kahlissee/status/1761481325486182846
:allears:

SpicePro posted:

I think this is why noise cancelling headphones were invented.
I recently purchased some Soundcore Space A40 earbuds (£69) which have amazing noise cancellation. One of my CFS symptoms is the inability to filter out background noise, and I know many neurodivergent people can be affected in a similar way. These buds have made it so much easier to step into civilisation.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 24, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just go with 'full bore' if you want a few very different interpretations to arise.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

fuctifino posted:

Tower Bridge is trending. I wondered if a Royal had died, but it turns out the gammons are furious that the protesters shut down Tower Bridge today, with many saying that this is proof that Lee Anderson is correct. I won't share any of their tweets, but I'll post a positive one two of these loving heroes
https://twitter.com/AbuAmaanah/status/1761475305024188598
https://twitter.com/Kahlissee/status/1761481325486182846
:allears:

I recently purchased some Soundcore Space A40 earbuds (£69) which have amazing noise cancellation. One of my CFS symptoms is the inability to filter out background noise, and I know many neurodivergent people can be affected in a similar way. These buds have made it so much easier to step into civilisation.

I've had good luck with Soundcore too. Noise cancelling is *so good* if you have to be around traffic.

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

Huffing Mr Sheen to make the phone calls go away

Microplastics posted:

Sitting in a cafe off trafalgar square and, overhearing a conversation, heard someone say "but a ceasefire, a ceasefire doesn't do anything, it just stops the killing"

:psyduck:

:suicide:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Just go with 'full boar'

Nice try, Sir Cameron.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
POS

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/24/starmer-set-up-own-labour-leadership-team-six-months-before-corbyns-2019-defeat

quote:

Starmer set up own Labour leadership team six months before Corbyn’s 2019 defeat
A new biography has revealed how the Labour leader and his allies planned his challenge in advance of the election

This would have been immediately after the May Euro elections when only 32% turned out and labour started pushing the 'second referendum' stuff really hard - I thought it was panic that drove them but maybe it was more artful than that.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I forget who itt I sent my copy of The Starmer Project to but this (Starmer being a conniving poo poo) doesn't feel like new information.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

sebzilla posted:

I forget who itt I sent my copy of The Starmer Project to but this (Starmer being a conniving poo poo) doesn't feel like new information.

You didn't send it me but I did read it. Maybe I'll give it another read if I didn't put it in the charity shop pile!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Lisa Nandy was doing the interview rounds this morning. Apart from the expected genocide apologism and denials about threatening the speaker, this stood out:
https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1761692124997722396

e: I guess she's complaining about Labour MPs experiencing stuff like this:
https://twitter.com/PamelaFitzPJP/status/1761438768920215688
https://twitter.com/NewhamIndParty/status/1761391035161235899

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 25, 2024

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'd have more sympathy for MPs if so many of them weren't sanctimonious pricks about how voting to impoverish millions is "the right thing to do, now excuse me while I enjoy this meal paid for by 'loving Over The Plebs PLC'".

[edit]
To clarify, if you want the power, privilege and money that comes with being an MP, then you should either face the consequences of voting to enrich yourself and gently caress over the poor, or not vote that way in the first place

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 25, 2024

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Same thing as when they get told to get in the sea on Twitter or people boycott speeches they're going to give. It's the whole "I've been cancelled" BS again.

If you ever manage to pin them down about supporting poo poo opinions and people, it just comes back to that they'd lose the whip and someone else would be drafted in to do it.

Basically they have no skills, no future and as a result, no spine.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Anyone with a wordpress site embedded a feed from linkedin? Is there a plugin you recommend?
(NB this is NOT for me, but for someone who's website I am minding!)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Stuck in a cab listening to LBC radio. Lots of indignant hooting about why Suella Braverman isn't being suspended and why can't Rishi Sunak clearly state that they're all racists. Yes it's totally about the words they use. If only they said the right combination of words.

God the decorum poisoning.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Oh nooooo the plebs are being mean to me for my genocide I support :(

I honestly despise their loving faux concerned smugness. Oh no I’ve ruined an entire society for my own personal gain, how dare they hate me

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kingturnip posted:

I'd have more sympathy for MPs if so many of them weren't sanctimonious pricks about how voting to impoverish millions is "the right thing to do, now excuse me while I enjoy this meal paid for by 'loving Over The Plebs PLC'".

[edit]
To clarify, if you want the power, privilege and money that comes with being an MP, then you should either face the consequences of voting to enrich yourself and gently caress over the poor, or not vote that way in the first place

I'd have an sympathy if MPs weren't paid more than 3 times the median salary

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's part and parcel of the mindset I posted about earlier, they think them being in charge is a gift to everyone else, if things get worse it's because they would be even worse without their input.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Well yeah, imagine if Jimbly Crumblebin got in!!!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I mean Suella has to get suspended now, especially given the deputy PM looked like an absolute fool saying 30p Lees statement was suspendable but the exact same words by Suella arent.

It'll just take a week.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It's intentional right? She's been egging him on to suspend her for ages. She'll basically make a power play at that point I'm guessing.

Though it's quite possible she's just a racist idiot.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mebh posted:

It's intentional right? She's been egging him on to suspend her for ages. She'll basically make a power play at that point I'm guessing.

Though it's quite possible she's just a racist idiot.

Yeah, I expected it after she basically started a riot but no, there she is just sucking up air.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There's also the crazy poo poo Truss has been saying in the US

e: vvvv It's great your post could be talking about Liz or Suella. lol

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's very possible that she could be both stupid and racist and want to be a right wing leader without knowing what she's doing.

:smugdon: