Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Branch Nvidian posted:

Getting this bundle from Micro Center will save you about $200 https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle, then do something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($469.99)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2 ATX AM5 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: Acer Predator GM7000 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus DUAL GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($599.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 34.2" 3440 x 1440 165 Hz Curved Monitor ($799.99 @ Dell Technologies)
Total: $2188.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-18 11:51 EST-0500

Please note that I have included the Alienware AW3423DWF QD-OLED monitor here since it's considered one of the best gaming monitors on the market right now. That said, $800 for a monitor can seem like a lot of money to some folks so just omit it if that's too much. Additionally check the monitors thread for better suggestion based on your exact set up, as they're more versed in them in that thread than I am here. You can get a Windows license from BrownThunder or Lodge North in SA Mart for $20.

If you remove the monitor you can upgrade to a 4080 Super and stay within your $2000 budget, and be extremely "future proof," or at least as much as one can be, for several years. Though, quite arguably a 4080 Super would be almost entirely wasted on your monitor. Likewise you could save another $100 and get an AMD RX 7800 XT for $500 and keep the monitor in the build price and still be extremely good for several years.

This machine is up and running, thanks again for the help! The monitor in particular is an absolutely insane upgrade - crazy to think I was so limited on graphics before by my 1920 monitor...

I only had a few issues getting it up and running. Got a click and no boot when first assembled - after a while I'm pretty sure I tracked this to using a PCIe for the 4 port power input next to the 8 port power input on the Motherboard, switched to using half an 8-pin CPU cable and it booted. Then I had red lights on the motherboard which I was trying to diagnose forever. Turns out I hadn't installed anything wrong I just didn't have the monitor in - it was pausing for a first-time setup question during the boot and waiting for my input. Miraculously my wireless keyboard and mouse (and SSD cloned) worked right away and I was able to boot in.

The last issue was a massive loud beeping noise when running games. Googling indicated it might be the power supply or maybe the battery on the Motherboard. Tried unplugging every fan and checking BIOS health but the temps were all crazy low and voltage looked fine. After some hours and more googling I finally found a post on a forum which was resolved as "I'm an idiot, it was my battery backup power box, not my computer". Sure enough I was the idiot too! The machine was just too powerful for my little battery backup system and it was screaming every time I ran a game. Plugged the case into the wall directly and now working great!

Hopefully others can read this and not fall into the same pitfalls I did. Ultimately I never got really frustrated and was able to solve everything which I call a success for a PC build!

Thanks again!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tom Tucker posted:

:words:

Thanks again!!

Glad it worked out for you! :clint:

Remember to make sure XMP/DOCP/EXPO is enabled in BIOS along with "Above 4G Decoding" and whatever resizable bar is called on that board (along with disabling CSM support).

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
Thanks, I'll look at the Supers. However, that MC bundle you listed seems to be sold out at my store. Any idea how often they might re-stock, or do I just have to keep an eye on it?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

You'll have to keep an eye out or just call the store and ask if they have an idea on when they'll have all the constituent components in stock, or if they can sub in a different board or RAM (I have no idea if they do this or not, but doesn't hurt to ask).

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
So referencing this google doc and looking at motherboards compatible with the 7800x3d it looks like of gigabyte asus and msi only asus offers both usb 3.2 2x2 AND m.2 gen 5 on a motherboard in b650?

The newegg bundle going on now does knock $50 off the price of the Aorus Elite AX v2 but I'd be losing out on nvme 5.0 and faster usb c port so that doesn't seem worth it vs the Asus Tuf Gaming b650.

Edit: how do people like the Fractal Design Torrent still? I want a case with good airflow to replace my old corsair 400R and accommodate modern big chungus gpus.

CatelynIsAZombie fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 24, 2024

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The Torrent still rips; there's plenty of cases that are more attractive or offer superior niceties, but the thing's a fuckin' wind tunnel that a computer lives in and that hasn't changed

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

DoombatINC posted:

The Torrent still rips; there's plenty of cases that are more attractive or offer superior niceties, but the thing's a fuckin' wind tunnel that a computer lives in and that hasn't changed

What cases do you think do things better as far as niceties? Is that all just ease of build kinda quol improvements?

edit: just realized the CAS latency of the ram I ordered for a 7800x3d was c36 instead of c30 how much should I care here?

CatelynIsAZombie fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 24, 2024

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

What cases do you think do things better as far as niceties? Is that all just ease of build kinda quol improvements?

I'm thinking like some of the stuff Lian Li does with everything having bespoke metal hinges and panels, or some of the gargantuan Phanteks or Hyte cases that are explicitly designed for showoff builds - like you can fit a family of four in the Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 and still have room to tie a dog up out back

The full-sized Torrent is fairly modern in terms of QoL and building, though I've heard-tell the smaller models do kinda suck to cable manage

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

Edit: how do people like the Fractal Design Torrent still? I want a case with good airflow to replace my old corsair 400R and accommodate modern big chungus gpus.

I just did a build with one. It's a big ol case (the biggest I've ever had) and it can be super loud if you turn the fans up full blast. However, you don't need to turn the fans up full blast because they're huge and there are 5 of them. After messing with fan curves I got it to run very cool with the fans at very low RPMs. Now it's actually quieter than my old Fractal Define case.

So, big and loud out of the box. But can be made to run very quiet and cool with some fan curves.

And yes it has a built in GPU kickstand.

Edit: It's also the easiest case I've ever built, mostly due to the roomy interior. Cable routing was just fine (this is on the large model). Built in fan hub. The side panels pop off without tools or thumb screws. It's nicer than my 2015 Fractal Define for whatever that's worth.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 24, 2024

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

edit: just realized the CAS latency of the ram I ordered for a 7800x3d was c36 instead of c30 how much should I care here?

You'll lose a few frames in games compared to CL30, but it's not a world-ending deal. It's more just something to keep an eye out for when buying parts or considering bundles vs. individual purchases.

DoombatINC posted:

The full-sized Torrent is fairly modern in terms of QoL and building, though I've heard-tell the smaller models do kinda suck to cable manage

Different model, but I will say that the management for the LED cables and case fan cables, specifically, was kind of nightmarish in the Pop Air Mini. That maybe partially came down to the vagaries of individual motherboards and me being foolish and plugging them in late, but it was definitely a very frustrating last step. Main cable management was totally effortless, though.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

WHERE? - US of A
MICROCENTER? - Hell yeah
PURPOSE? - Gamin'
BUDGET? - $1k-ish
PERFORMANCE GOAL? - 1440p/60fps on Helldivers 2. According to their PC Specs Chart, the parts I picked should suffice.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.99 bundle from Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard (bundled)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory (bundled)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 16 GB Video Card ($400.64 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX650M (2021) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Amazon)

Total: $1039.49

Is there anything I could do better? Did I gently caress anything up? I've never built a PC before.

Side question: is there any way to get the "orange core" version of the Pop Air but with a solid black side panel? I'm not a fan of the glass side but this would look sick.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I might splash a little more money for one of Corsair's full-mod power supplies just for easier cable management, and maybe splash a little more $$$ for a 2TB SSD (swift edit: or not, it looks like Samsung is starting to make good on that "promise" to raise drive prices and others are following suit), but that's me. Just in general, that looks perfectly fine for a $1K computerbox and should handily demolish Helldivers and other non-raytraced titles.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 24, 2024

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

SpaceDrake posted:

I might splash a little more money for one of Corsair's full-mod power supplies just for easier cable management, and maybe splash a little more $$$ for a 2TB SSD (swift edit: or not, it looks like Samsung is starting to make good on that "promise" to raise drive prices and others are following suit), but that's me. Just in general, that looks perfectly fine for a $1K computerbox and should handily demolish Helldivers and other non-raytraced titles.

So like this? The Crucial SSD doesn't have a cache but I can't figure out if that really matters.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.99 bundle)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard (bundle)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory (bundle)
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.02 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 16 GB Video Card ($400.64 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM650 (2023) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Corsair)

Total: $1098.53

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah, that should do. Ultimately up to you on what SSD you get (because prices are suddenly going crazy again), though for gaming I think you might end up finding 1TB of storage a little thin in this day and age, depending on your usual games.

You are otherwise p. much all set, at least from where I sit.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($465.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX ATX AM5 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($234.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($499.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1333.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-24 12:05 EST-0500

Can anyone recommend a ~27" monitor? And I'm up in the air about the gpu. Think I can go 4k on this? Trying to keep the whole thing under $1500. Driving down to microcenter tonight probably to pick this all up

Unsane fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 24, 2024

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

4K on modern and upcoming titles will likely require you use AMD's FSR upscaling solution if your goal is significantly higher than 60FPS. On somewhat older titles (pre-2020 or so), 4K will be easily manageable thanks to that meaty VRAM. (Naturally, going down to "just" 1440p means you will effortlessly crush all games now and into the foreseeable future.)

The main question GPU-wise is how much you care about raytracing. AMD's RT implementation remains anemic, while Nvidia's is significantly more robust, and that's often what you end up paying a premium for. The 7800XT is still an extremely good card for anyone who doesn't foresee using raytracing much in the future.

The house of monitor chat is a better place to discuss displays in general.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

That combo is too good of a value. The fact that it can run any GPU is whats killing me. Sitting at about $1900 with gigabyte 4k monitor and 7800xt. Trying to force myself into a $1500 budget, but a 4070 super would only add $100.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

wash bucket posted:

I just did a build with one. It's a big ol case (the biggest I've ever had) and it can be super loud if you turn the fans up full blast. However, you don't need to turn the fans up full blast because they're huge and there are 5 of them. After messing with fan curves I got it to run very cool with the fans at very low RPMs. Now it's actually quieter than my old Fractal Define case.

So, big and loud out of the box. But can be made to run very quiet and cool with some fan curves.

And yes it has a built in GPU kickstand.

Edit: It's also the easiest case I've ever built, mostly due to the roomy interior. Cable routing was just fine (this is on the large model). Built in fan hub. The side panels pop off without tools or thumb screws. It's nicer than my 2015 Fractal Define for whatever that's worth.

same and my feedback is identical, it's fuckin huge and stays frosty even when I'm nuking my 7700x and 7900XT in there. big recommend if you have the space.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Following the NAS Killer 6.0 guide had me go with this build for a NAS / media server. For context also flagged what I had existing (free), what was bought used. Not labelled means I bought it new

Am I missing anything obvious? One thing I'm not certain of is case fans because it only comes with one large 200mm front intake fan and nothing else. Any suggestions how I could estimate requirements while also keeping the noise down (it'll be in main living room so, while not in a bedroom or anything, would still prefer quieter build).

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor (Used)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master i71C RGB 37 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler **
Motherboard: Gigabyte B365M DS3H WIFI Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Free)
Storage: HP EX900 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Used)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Free)
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK 4 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Free)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 500 W1 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
[
** - Bought a separate cooler because the used CPU I purchased didn't come with one.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 24, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I suggest asking in the home server/nas thread about it. Someone in here can probably review it, but that thread is specialized towards it and will know better than we will in general.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Updates for potential others' reference and to say thanks to everyone: posting from my new box here.

It seems like the only issue was my graphics card was improperly seated in some way, whether it was the power (the weird adapter is very difficult to tell if it's actually clicked in or not) or in one of the two places it connects to the PCIe slot (there is a weird adapter for this too, on account of the tiny Terra mITX case). In any event, I took everything out and reseated it, which was a blessing in disguise. I was able to reorient my power supply (which I'd put in upside down for some reason; it was better in one way and worse in about five ways so I flipped it so it's properly right-side-up) and get much better cable management going on.

Now, any advice for software these days? Particularly, I'm trying Windows 11 for the first time. Anything I need to know or add or disable? (This new Start menu is absolute garbage, so I'll have to figure something out for that...)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Took me a while to see that it was on a glass shelf and I though it just defied gravity.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Rashomon posted:

Now, any advice for software these days? Particularly, I'm trying Windows 11 for the first time. Anything I need to know or add or disable? (This new Start menu is absolute garbage, so I'll have to figure something out for that...)

Nice setup, I'm jealous.
I happened to read a thing in Ars today about de-shitifying windows. It actually looks like a ton, but a fair bit is cosmetic. It explains it all quite well.
Personally, I do a bit more than this, but I'm a bit obsessive.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/what-i-do-to-clean-up-a-clean-install-of-windows-11-23h2-and-edge/

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 24, 2024

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Would love to know what you do as an obsessive.

Of course, I foolishly set my Windows 11 up with a Microsoft account, but luckily I think it's not too bad to go back and change to do it with a Local account instead.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Rashomon posted:

Would love to know what you do as an obsessive.

Lol, this...
(it's really good though)

This can revert the start menu, Windows explorer, and a whole host of other things.
There are a couple of apps that do just the start menu, but I alway ended up coming back to this one.

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

Oh I was doing some registry editing today to remove that copilot garbage too

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 25, 2024

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Oysters Autobio posted:

Following the NAS Killer 6.0 guide had me go with this build for a NAS / media server. For context also flagged what I had existing (free), what was bought used. Not labelled means I bought it new

Am I missing anything obvious? One thing I'm not certain of is case fans because it only comes with one large 200mm front intake fan and nothing else. Any suggestions how I could estimate requirements while also keeping the noise down (it'll be in main living room so, while not in a bedroom or anything, would still prefer quieter build).

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor (Used)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master i71C RGB 37 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler **
Motherboard: Gigabyte B365M DS3H WIFI Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Free)
Storage: HP EX900 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Used)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Free)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 500 W1 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
[
** - Bought a separate cooler because the used CPU I purchased didn't come with one.

I have the V21 for my main rig and since you don't have a GPU in there a silence focused 120 mm exhaust on the back would probably be enough for the general MB/CPU area with the 200 mm front intake fan.
I don't think you can get any fans on the harddrive bay except maybe a little bit of airflow from the front fan, but if you put the glass panel on the top and the two mesh panels on the left and right sides you should not have any real heat build up down there. The front fan can be turned down in speed until it's rather quiet depending on your motherboard.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

YerDa Zabam posted:

Lol, this...
(it's really good though)

This can revert the start menu, Windows explorer, and a whole host of other things.
There are a couple of apps that do just the start menu, but I alway ended up coming back to this one.

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

Oh I was doing some registry editing today to remove that copilot garbage too

Yeah, I have that downloaded and am going to play around with it as well. I don't know why they took the Start menu from "A fairly organized and customizable thing that looks good" to "Dump all of your programs in a box and shake it up and hope you can find what you're looking for".

I also already disabled Copilot from group policy; no AI garbage for me please.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

See this is why I started dual booting Windows and Linux. Boot into Windows for games and then back to Linux for everything else.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

4K on modern and upcoming titles will likely require you use AMD's FSR upscaling solution if your goal is significantly higher than 60FPS. On somewhat older titles (pre-2020 or so), 4K will be easily manageable thanks to that meaty VRAM. (Naturally, going down to "just" 1440p means you will effortlessly crush all games now and into the foreseeable future.)

The main question GPU-wise is how much you care about raytracing. AMD's RT implementation remains anemic, while Nvidia's is significantly more robust, and that's often what you end up paying a premium for. The 7800XT is still an extremely good card for anyone who doesn't foresee using raytracing much in the future.

The house of monitor chat is a better place to discuss displays in general.

Much more relevant than raytracing support is that if you're gaming at 4K and having upscaling on all the time, you're going to get much better visuals with a NVIDIA card and DLSS. FSR doesn't fall apart as much at 4K but the difference is still stark.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

Much more relevant than raytracing support is that if you're gaming at 4K and having upscaling on all the time, you're going to get much better visuals with a NVIDIA card and DLSS. FSR doesn't fall apart as much at 4K but the difference is still stark.

Ended up going down to 1440p on the monitor. Money saved let me go with the 4070 super and upsize to a 4tb SSD.i have a feeling that'll be more useful as well.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I straight up don't use the start menu except to take text input after i hit the windows key. It also has a download link and a power button. Everything else is on my desktop or system tray. Who cares? Start menu could have been good, but I don't need it after all. Fancy stuff goes through command prompt or maybe a powershell script.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm looking at replacing my CPU, motherboard and RAM (replacing my intel i7-8700 with an AMD ryzen 7 7800x3d, and moving to DDR5 RAM). Can I trust windows 10 to handle the change in hardware gracefully or do I need to, I dunno, uninstall drivers first or plan on reinstalling windows or something?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

An OEM Windows 11 Pro key should only run you $20 in the SA Mart thread (or $26 from other OEM key sellers like Kinguin).

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
What country are you in? US

Do you live near Microcenter? 2,100 miles

What are you using the system for? Plex

What's your budget? Well under 1000

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? na this is for a Plex server

I'm trying to set up a Plex server able to to stream converted video at 1080p.

I have lots of old atx cases and power supplies to re use, and an 8tb and a couple of 3tb drives to put in it for now. I'll want to expand more data space in s bit.

It's replacing an old file server that died.

I'm looking to buy just ram/proc/board and stuff it into old cases, if possible.

Thank you in advance for any advice

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Owl Inspector posted:

I'm looking at replacing my CPU, motherboard and RAM (replacing my intel i7-8700 with an AMD ryzen 7 7800x3d, and moving to DDR5 RAM). Can I trust windows 10 to handle the change in hardware gracefully or do I need to, I dunno, uninstall drivers first or plan on reinstalling windows or something?

It should be fine, at worst you will have to re auth which takes five min.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I talked my buddy out of buying a little $200 dollar mini PC to learn Reaper (and play games, etc) and instead had a couple of donated to me parts that I donated to him. A Ryzen 3600 from a goon, a GTX 1060, and a Ryzen OEM cooler. I ordered the other bits and he paid me back. The SAMA case is pretty neat, although the manual is super worthless. Took me a minute to open it up, and also some of the pictures show the power cable mounted on the chassis, but this one has a pig tail, which is odd.

This thing is so cheaply up gradable in the future when he can snag and X3D for it and/or a new GPU. I donated some cash to double his ram to 32, cause why not?! I feel a bit bad that I don't have any nice fans for him, but I got them under control. System runs super stable, although the CPU cooler is predictably annoying sounding. (Also, yes, it's "upside down")

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M/ac R2.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel RGB 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL20 Memory ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Case: SAMA IM01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($90.00)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart BM3 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $361.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-26 00:45 EST-0500

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Owl Inspector posted:

I just did a similar swap a couple months ago, replacing ~7 year old cpu/mobo combo. Windows 10 didn’t care at all, although I went from intel to intel so maybe that helped?

From what I gather you kinda never know.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BurritoJustice posted:

FSR doesn't fall apart as much at 4K but the difference is still stark.

Got some sources to justify this statement? Or is it just anecdotal. Because the past comparisons by the likes of DF, etc, were all pretty neutral at 4K outside of subjective eye testing. For pure upscaling of rasterized performance, I’d not be so quick to say this, and I’d probably say that using the language of “fall apart” as a baseline to describe FSR projects inherent bias.

If someone wants to use path tracing or such, then yeah, it’ll absolutely make a difference.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

Because the past comparisons by the likes of DF, etc, were all pretty neutral at 4K outside of subjective eye testing.

What other type of testing is there for upscaling? There is no objective measure you can use for upscaled image quality.

But yes, the difference is still noticeable at 4K Quality and very noticeable at 4K Performance.

In 26 games, FSR was only similar in four at 4K Quality and one at 4K Performance. At 1440P, which the OP is now going with, the difference is massive.

Canned Sunshine posted:

I’d probably say that using the language of “fall apart” as a baseline to describe FSR projects inherent bias.

FSR2 is literally the worst modern TAAU solution, if it doesn't justify that language then nothing else does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FSR2 absolutely falls apart when upscaling from very low internal resolutions.