Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Don’t worry, the Navy has selected a second shipyard:

You might remember Austal from such successes as the Independence class LCS, 4 of which lasted less than 15 years.

I knew about the transfer to the other shipyard but lamo I didnt know they made the LCS too. Thank god for the grift that is rotting away any advantage the military use to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

So, it turns out LCTs, on top of not requiring shipyards, were quick and easy to build

"In this series of photos the first photo shows all the hull sections of LCT(5)-156 are in place on the building ways and section B-2 of LCT(5)-157 is being lowered into place early in the morning of 3 October 1942 at Mare Island Navy Yard. In the second photo all the hull sections of LCT(5)-156 and LCT(5)-157 are in place on the ways later in the day. Two days later, 5 October 1942, the deck house is on LCT(5)-156, the ramp is on LCT(5)-157 and all hull sections are in place for LCT(5)-158. The next day, 6 October 1942, all the hull sections for LCT(5)-319 are in place and work continues on LCT(5)-156, LCT(5)-157 and LCT(5)-158. Four days later, 10 October 1942, (front to back and left to right) LCT(5)-321, LCT(5)-322, LCT(5)-159, LCT(5)-320, LCT(5)-158, LCT(5)-319, LCT(5)-156 and LCT(5)-157 with YD-33 at the end of the ways. One day later, 11 October 1942, (front to back and left to right) LCT(5)-160, LCT(5)-321, LCT(5)-322, LCT(5)-159, LCT-320, LCT-158 and LCT-319 with YD-33 at the end of the ways."

LCT(5)-159 being launched at Mare Island Navy Yard, 15 October 1942. The yard used its' 150 ton floating crane, YD-33, to lift the LCT over the building ways caisson into the water. LCTs were assembled on the building ways and as their construction progressed they were moved down the ways and were placed in the water by the floating crane. The yards log indicate that LCT(5)-159 was launched/placed in the water on 15 Oct 1942. Photo from a supplement dated 9 March 1947 issued of the Vallejo Times Herald

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Juice money SEAL / FFL guy is unintentionally hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBvfa6xSKfY

Jfc :911:

Also, like our guys in Prosperity Guardian, he almost drowned somehow lmao timestamp ~ 50:00

Also around 59:00 criminal as gently caress, busted for steroids and stealing weapons, SEALs cover for him.

102:

"I have Federal Marshals in a van trying to extradite an active Duty Navy SEAL from loving California to Idaho, fighting that, because I violated (probation) on a violent crime again in a different state"

"I had a girlfriend at the time, and so that was kind of somewhat distracting, but even that was, very tumultuous. Cuz I wasn't - you know I always say a fish thinks from the head, man - if the man's not right... man the whole loving thing's (relationship's) hosed, right? So... and I was not my best self. Bottom line, I was not clear, I wasn't living right.

Still, going to the gym and training and so I could lie to myself and say I was kind of disciplined, but I was... I lacked all loving real discipline..."

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 18:46 on Feb 24, 2024

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

DancingShade posted:

Can't even build landing craft anymore. Contract for 32 awarded 6 years ago. Total completed zero.

Nearly 100 million bucks funneled into a loving furnace but yeah we gotta nickle and dime SNAP recipients lol

thank god this country is losing ww3

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Regarde Aduck posted:

Which people?

The ones require dying. Give it time and you'll learn.

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
Does anyone remember this right after Suleimani was hit, this plane was immediately shot down in the following over Afghanistan

The USA has only a few BACN intelligence nodes, it was filled with CIA and airforce intelligence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_Air_Force_E-11A_crash

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_Airborne_Communications_Node

America classified it as a technical failure, but the entire top portion of the plane is gone in the crash, that's not how physics and crashes work

https://www.twz.com/32016/e-11a-pilots-died-flying-an-aircraft-from-a-fleet-so-small-none-are-in-the-u-s-for-training

HouseofSuren has issued a correction as of 22:31 on Feb 24, 2024

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

how the gently caress can you not build landing craft. It's just steel!

LCVP were made of plywood, actually

Made em sit higher in the water so they could get farther onto the beach.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

HouseofSuren posted:

Does anyone remember this right after Suleimani was hit, this plane was immediately shot down in the following over Afghanistan

The USA has only a few BACN intelligence nodes, it was filled with CIA and airforce intelligence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_Air_Force_E-11A_crash

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_Airborne_Communications_Node

America classified it as a technical failure, but the entire top portion of the plane is gone in the crash, that's not how physics and crashes work

https://www.twz.com/32016/e-11a-pilots-died-flying-an-aircraft-from-a-fleet-so-small-none-are-in-the-u-s-for-training

"The investigation concluded that the crash was caused by a broken turbine blade on the left engine compounded by pilot error. The crew misidentified which engine had failed. As a result, the pilots mistakenly shut off power to the right engine, believing the left engine was still intact. The failure to restart the correct engine in the air, and their attempt to return to Kandahar Air Base, substantially contributed to the mishap. With no working engines, the aircraft lacked the necessary altitude and airspeed to glide to the nearest base, forcing them to make an emergency landing on the snowy terrain, which proved too rugged to land safely."

When you glide in for a landing after shutting off both engines and the top of your plane appears to explode

Orange Devil posted:

LCVP were made of plywood, actually

Made em sit higher in the water so they could get farther onto the beach.

Well, also, they're loving landing craft - who cares about building them for longevity? You need to put large forces on the beach to fight a war, not spend decades deploying tiny forces worldwide in expeditionary... oh.

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
People who support Ukraine and Israel are detached from reality, and we'll have to unfortunately fight each other here in the west to get rid of them once and for all.

I'm all in. They will shatter like glass.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

HouseofSuren posted:

People who support Ukraine and Israel are detached from reality, and we'll have to unfortunately fight each other here in the west to get rid of them once and for all.

Or you could do something much better and join an effective political organization (such as a trade union, for example) instead of subscribing into self-destructive rhetoric that, as a plus, serve as great bait against

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
I do, I actively work at polls.

But it's a war at this point, we can't live together here, this isn't a homogenous country and it's being taken advantage of, and we've done this before

as Cassius Dio said

The Roman–Persian Wars have been characterized as "futile" and too "depressing and tedious to contemplate".[159] Prophetically, Cassius Dio noted their "never-ending cycle of armed confrontations" and observed that "it is shown by the facts themselves that [Severus'] conquest has been a source of constant wars and great expense to us. For it yields very little and uses up vast sums; and now that we have reached out to peoples who are neighbor of the Medes and the Parthians rather than of ourselves, we are always, one might say, fighting the battles of those peoples."[160] In the long series of wars between the two powers, the frontier in upper Mesopotamia remained more or less constant.

the man said that between 170-230ad, I don't need to live out that much ancient history myself to realize when I'm in a spot that requires force.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

It's always funny that the RETVRN people don't really understand that what they idolize created the conditions for its own demise. If the Roman-Persian wars had not devastated the region, there's basically no way that Islam emerges the way it does and gains support among people so rapidly. Hell, there were many times Christianization seemed to be taking off among the Arabs, each cut short by the Romans being dicks. Queen Mavia wanted to be a Christian ruler, but the "ruler" part necessitated a degree of independence, and the Romans believed that "Christian" meant subordination to Rome, so the Romans started a war. She won and installed a monk, Moses, as bishop, but you can see that the chance to follow an Abrahamic religion that was not completely wrapped up in Byzantine court politics, civil wars, domination from Constantinople and endless wars was appealing when Mohammed came along.

Socrates Scholasticus, The Ecclesiastical History. posted:

The Saracens, under Mavia their Queen, embrace Christianity; and Moses, a Pious Monk, is consecrated their Bishop.

No sooner had the emperor departed from Antioch, than the Saracens, who had before been in alliance with the Romans, revolted from them, being led by Mavia their queen, whose husband was then dead. All the regions of the East therefore were at that time ravaged by the Saracens: but a certain divine Providence repressed their fury in the manner I am about to describe. A person named Moses, a Saracen by birth, who led a monastic life in the desert, became exceedingly eminent for his piety, faith, and miracles. Mavia the queen of the Saracens was therefore desirous that this person should be constituted bishop over her nation, and promised on the condition to terminate the war. The Roman generals considering that a peace founded on such terms would be extremely advantageous, gave immediate directions for its ratification. Moses was accordingly seized, and brought from the desert to Alexandria, in order that he might there be invested with the bishopric: but on his presentation for that purpose to Lucius, who at that time presided over the churches in that city, he refused to be ordained by him, protesting against it in these words: ‘I account myself indeed unworthy of the sacred office; but if the exigencies of the state require my bearing it, it shall not be by Lucius laying his hand on me, for it has been filled with blood.’ When Lucius told him that it was his duty to learn from him the principles of religion, and not to utter reproachful language, Moses replied, ‘Matters of faith are not now in question: but your infamous practices against the brethren sufficiently prove that your doctrines are not Christian. For a Christian is “no striker, reviles not, does not fight”; for “it becomes not a servant of the Lord to fight.” 107 But your deeds cry out against you by those who have been sent into exile, who have been exposed to the wild beasts, and who had been delivered up to the flames. Those things which our own eyes have beheld are far more convincing than what we receive from the report of another.’ As Moses expressed these and other similar sentiments his friends took him to the mountains, that he might receive ordination from those bishops who lived in exile there. Moses having thus been consecrated, the Saracen war was terminated; and so scrupulously did Mavia observe the peace thus entered into with the Romans that she gave her daughter in marriage to Victor the commander-in-chief of the Roman army. Such were the transactions in relation to the Saracens.

Let me link that to the thread more directly: Ho Chi Minh and Fidel Castro did not start out as communists. They simply wanted, well, something like piety, faith, and miracles for their nations. The problem was that America determined that this made them enemies, and so you might say "pushed" them into adopting an ideology outside of American control.

Rome repeatedly antagonized emerging Christian polities in Georgia, Armenia, Ethiopia, by demanding some sort of political subservience if they were going to be Christian. It's a major reason that Persia began persecuting Christians, they saw them as a fifth column. But, it's also why the Bulgars (Bulgarians) "held out" as pagans for so long before converting, and why the Magyar (Hungarians) became Catholic instead of Orthodox. In Arabia, obviously things went another direction, but I'd argue that the pattern was the same.

America demands vassalage, and while espousing democracy, really the "promotion of democracy abroad" is about subservience to America. A democratic revolution that does not agree to submission is treated as an enemy from the onset. So, "the faith" is undermined by the hegemony.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 23:23 on Feb 24, 2024

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

"The investigation concluded that the crash was caused by a broken turbine blade on the left engine compounded by pilot error. The crew misidentified which engine had failed. As a result, the pilots mistakenly shut off power to the right engine, believing the left engine was still intact. The failure to restart the correct engine in the air, and their attempt to return to Kandahar Air Base, substantially contributed to the mishap. With no working engines, the aircraft lacked the necessary altitude and airspeed to glide to the nearest base, forcing them to make an emergency landing on the snowy terrain, which proved too rugged to land safely."

Is this supposed to incentivize the other E-11A pilots to have more situational awareness or something? Don't let your plane get shot down because we won't say it's a bird strike, we'll say you're retards who don't know how to fly. If they weren't working for the USA it would be sad how dirty they got done.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Is this supposed to incentivize the other E-11A pilots to have more situational awareness or something? Don't let your plane get shot down because we won't say it's a bird strike, we'll say you're retards who don't know how to fly. If they weren't working for the USA it would be sad how dirty they got done.

"It's important to stress that there is no indication that this Air Force practice of soliciting volunteers who may have limited immediate experience on the E-11A or similar aircraft types in any way contributed to the mishap in Afghanistan on Jan. 27. Much of the circumstances about that crash and its immediate aftermath remain unclear."

"On Jan. 29, 2020, the U.S. military officially announced that Air Force Lieutenant Colonel Paul Voss and Captain Ryan Phaneuf had died in the mishap. The E-11A, with the serial number 11-9358, had crashed in Afghanistan's Ghazni Province on Jan. 27. Voss and Phaneuf were the only two individuals on board the aircraft when it went down, despite initial reports that there might have been as many as five people on board. The Pentagon has also denied claims since then that the Taliban shot the aircraft down and says the investigation into the incident is still ongoing. There is also no evidence to support the militant group's assertion that a senior Central Intelligence Agency officer had been on the plane."

"The E-11A that crashed, along with the three remaining aircraft of this type that the Air Force operates, are all assigned to the 430th Expeditionary Electronic Combat Squadron at Kandahar Airfield. However, the Pentagon's statement said that Lieutenant Colonel Voss was assigned to Headquarters, Air Combat Command, situated at Joint Base Langley-Eustis in Virginia and that Captain Phaneuf was a member of the 37th Bomb Squadron based at Ellsworth Air Force Base in South Dakota. "

"Headquarters, Air Combat Command is not a flying unit and 37th Bomb Squadron, part of the 28th Bomb Wing, flies B-1 Bone bombers, making it somewhat curious that members of both organizations would be in Afghanistan flying the E-11A, which are derived from the Bombardier BD-700 business jet."

"Pictures from the crash site in the Dih Yak district of Ghazni province showed that the plane had skidded along the ground for a considerable distance before coming to a rest, indicating that the crew might have attempted to make an emergency landing. It's not clear if the aircraft was on fire before or after hitting the ground."

"Dih Yak is under the control of the Taliban, who claimed initially to have secured the crash site and reportedly fought off initial attempts by local Afghan forces to reach the aircraft. The U.S. military reportedly subsequently dispatched a special operations force made up of elements from the secretive Joint Special Operations Command, including members of Seal Team Six, according to Newsweek. That force faced no resistance in getting to the crash site and successfully recovered Voss and Phaneuf's bodies."

"U.S. forces destroyed the remnants of the aircraft," Leggett added. Newsweek had reported that the special operators on the ground had destroyed what was left of the plane before departing the site, but that U.S. officials were considering using airstrikes, as well, to ensure that neither the Taliban nor anyone else could attempt to recover sensitive equipment or documents from the wreckage. It's unclear if those strikes ultimately occurred.

Hopefully, the analysis of the apparent flight data recorder will shed more light on this accident. In the meantime, volunteers from around the Air Force will continue flying the remaining E-11As in Afghanistan as they continue to provide vital communications support for U.S. forces in that country.

:thunk:

I just realized that the official story is that there were just the two pilots and absolutely no one inside the plane to operate any of the equipment.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 23:52 on Feb 24, 2024

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

To be fair it wouldn't be the first time pilots in a stress situation shut down the wrong engine when one stopped working, and it sure wouldn't be the last. But gently caress giving any of America's bullshit the benefit of the doubt.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Kitfox88 posted:

To be fair it wouldn't be the first time pilots in a stress situation shut down the wrong engine when one stopped working, and it sure wouldn't be the last. But gently caress giving any of America's bullshit the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, but it's not like they were at a critical moment in flight or whatever, stalled and crashed, they could have glided with both engines shut off.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
just another star in the wall

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
https://www.cia.gov/stories/story/cia-honors-fallen-officers-in-annual-memorial-ceremony/

During the ceremony, CIA added two new stars to the Memorial Wall, commemorating exceptional officers whose legacies will live on and whose service must remain known to only a select few.

HouseofSuren has issued a correction as of 00:14 on Feb 25, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkNV9yUspls

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you fake the captured dude with some blood transfer but you can't be bothered to find a fake martyr's corpse? bane sucked

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Did the Taliban inherit any Fat Alberts? They could pull a Bane off now.

double nine posted:

you fake the captured dude with some blood transfer but you can't be bothered to find a fake martyr's corpse? bane sucked

You take that back! >:-(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol this is a great Epstein thread intersection

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol this is a great Epstein thread intersection

what isnt

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

gonna say any intersection with the cspam parenting thread

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
https://www.yahoo.com/news/bad-backs-dodgy-knees-old-022135691.html

While there are no official statistics available on the average age of soldiers currently serving in the Ukrainian army, government officials have ventured out estimates: in an interview with “The New Voice of Ukraine,” Serhii Rakhmanin, a member of the Ukrainian parliamentary committee on national security, defense and intelligence claimed that the average age of a Ukrainian soldier was now between 40 and 45 years old. “This applies not only to territorial defense brigades, but also, for example, to linear mechanized brigades and even units that should have been better prepared,” he added. “Such as, for example, mountain assault or amphibious assault [brigades].” A few weeks prior, adviser to the head of the President's Office Serhii Leshchenko had made the startling claim on Ukrainian television that the average age in some companies was “around 54 years.”

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The Voice of Labor posted:

gonna say any intersection with the cspam parenting thread

which is currently the biosphere thread

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

HouseofSuren posted:

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
You better have billions of FBI agents lmao

how compromised is US intelligence you gather

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/n...ies/ar-BB1iPi4z

HouseofSuren has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Feb 25, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hail and well met, fellow tankers. Where's the action?

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Committee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Army_Organization

The Secret Army Organization (SAO) was a short-lived right-wing paramilitary organization in Southern California, set up in 1971 in the aftermath of the breakup of the Minutemen group by local law enforcement. The ACLU has claimed that the organization had FBI support.[1]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

It's a great tie but wearing a dry rain jacket indoors is... eh.

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
At no point in space or time, should you ever fear talking poo poo about Israel or Ukraine, or breaking them into infinite pieces of dust.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

HouseofSuren posted:

You better have billions of FBI agents lmao

how compromised is US intelligence you gather

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/n...ies/ar-BB1iPi4z

bro hes calling you a glowie

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCtjxZEcR0Y&t=25s

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

DancingShade posted:

Can't even build landing craft anymore. Contract for 32 awarded 6 years ago. Total completed zero.

Bunch of MIC guys found a few bugs in the Capitalism server, some how it hasn't been patched out for decades.

I am sure people in Washington are too old to understand this analogy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

bro hes calling you a glowie

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Look at the grog blossom on that guy!!!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

ty i have a lil giggle every time i see this image

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/aelita1917/status/1761437245150810410?t=nucASk5JplGK4kM1w0PWnA&s=19

You know this doesn't seem like that compelling an argument in light of how impossible it would be for the USA to do anything like this ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/aelita1917/status/1761437245150810410?t=nucASk5JplGK4kM1w0PWnA&s=19

You know this doesn't seem like that compelling an argument in light of how impossible it would be for the USA to do anything like this ever again

the US is also not particularly democratic and was even less so when the interstate highway system was built, although that doesn't make the fascist guy's argument that only 'aristocracy' can build large buildings any less stupid.

to paraphrase Werner Herzog, the pyramids are very impressive, but we could easily build a bigger one if we wanted to. it is true that a democratically elected government will probably never build a pyramid but they also aren't going to bury the head of state with a bunch of grave goods or establish a funerary cult in his name so who gives a poo poo