Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I plug my Android phone into my 2023 MBP and it shows it as charging, but the battery % on my phone just stays the same or actually even drops. This is with a normal USB-C cable.

However, when I plug my wireless charger via USB-C into the same port on my MBP, my phone charges fine.

I don't think my cable is defective but wanted to check here. Am I missing a setting somewhere in my MBP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Crazy that this guy is a huge US defense contractor now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Busy Bee posted:

I plug my Android phone into my 2023 MBP and it shows it as charging, but the battery % on my phone just stays the same or actually even drops. This is with a normal USB-C cable.

However, when I plug my wireless charger via USB-C into the same port on my MBP, my phone charges fine.

I don't think my cable is defective but wanted to check here. Am I missing a setting somewhere in my MBP?

wonder if it detects it and expects the phone to negotiate charging but then nothing happens

you might try a power only / no data cable tho if so i’d make sure it’s labeled properly lol

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Mu Zeta posted:

Crazy that this guy is a huge US defense contractor now

If you paid attention to him it really really isn't.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I got a ploopy classic and it’s the best god damned trackball I’ve ever used.
All other trackballs I’ve ever used have problems because they use those lovely ceramic bearings.
The ploopy uses metal bearings, which make it loud, but the ball glides smooth as butter.
Also, the ploopy is programmable with QMK and has a really good sensor.

https://ploopy.co/classic-trackball/

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

xgalaxy posted:

I got a ploopy classic and it’s the best god damned trackball I’ve ever used.
All other trackballs I’ve ever used have problems because they use those lovely ceramic bearings.
The ploopy uses metal bearings, which make it loud, but the ball glides smooth as butter.
Also, the ploopy is programmable with QMK and has a really good sensor.

https://ploopy.co/classic-trackball/

Hang on while I spend my real world money on a "ploopy"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i only want a giant trackball like on old-school breakout arcade machines

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah like the big rollerballs on the old Atari Football arcade game from 1978

To tie it to Mac: you can play it in MAME for which there's now an ARM-64 version

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

You know they’re not in it for the money with that product name.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ngl a friend of mine loves trackballs so I might get him one for Christmas

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I kind of want to try that smaller one they have.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I’ve got a 13” 2020 M1 MacBook Pro w/ Touchbar and 8GB of RAM. I’ve been able to talk myself out of upgrading it because I don’t use it very much, though that partially has to do with the small screen and having trouble reading on it at times. I keep thinking about a 15” M2 MBA or 14” M3 MBP, but again talking myself out of it due to worrying I’ll still end up finding it too small after I’ve had it a while, and not using it to really do much other than discord chatting, forum posting, and web browsing.

All that out of the way, Best Buy has a “Geek Squad Certified Refurbished” 14” M1 Pro MBP with 16GB RAM and 512GB of storage for $1233, and that feels like a decent price, especially since trading in my current MBP will take another $600 off, but how much better overall is that computer compared to the one I already have, and is it worth spending $633 on it for what my use case is? A 15” MBA with 16GB of RAM and 1TB storage is $1500, and I can’t see how or why it would be better other than the slightly larger, though probably worse, screen.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 2, 2024

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Branch Nvidian posted:

I’ve got a 13” 2020 M1 MacBook Pro w/ Touchbar and 8GB of RAM. I’ve been able to talk myself out of upgrading it because I don’t use it very much, though that partially has to do with the small screen and having trouble reading on it at times. I keep thinking about a 15” M2 MBA or 14” M3 MBP, but again talking myself out of it due to worrying I’ll still end up finding it too small after I’ve had it a while, and not using it to really do much other than discord chatting, forum posting, and web browsing.

All that out of the way, Best Buy has a “Geek Squad Certified Refurbished” 14” M1 Pro MBP with 16GB RAM and 512GB of storage for $1233, and that feels like a decent price, especially since trading in my current MBP will take another $600 off, but how much better overall is that computer compared to the one I already have, and is it worth spending $633 on it for what my use case is? A 15” MBA with 16GB of RAM and 1TB storage is $1500, and I can’t see how or why it would be better other than the slightly larger, though probably worse, screen.

word of caution: “Geek Squad Certified Refurbished” makes “Refurbished by Amazon” look like Apple’s official refurb store. Be prepared to return it if it’s gross/busted

there’s a chance it’s just a returned item that somebody didn’t want and barely touched aside from un/re-boxing and there’s a chance that you get something like a floor display model that got manhandled by a million people or a computer that was visibly dropped or extensively touched by a dog

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 2, 2024

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

trilobite terror posted:

word of caution: “Geek Squad Certified Refurbished” makes “Refurbished by Amazon” look like Apple’s official refurb store.

:stare:

Thanks for the warning.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah it's a different story if it's available in store vs online at least then you can check it

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

yeah it's a different story if it's available in store vs online at least then you can check it

Unfortunately the M1 Pro MBP isn't in any of the nearby stores and would have to be shipped to me. Looking through the list of what is in stock none of the local stores have refurbished or open-box devices in stock. Part of me want to flip the coin and see how it goes, but with my luck I'd get something that's "certified refurbished" but beaten to poo poo with a swollen battery.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I got a refurb off Amazon and it looked like it was refurbished by Apple. Same packaging as an Apple refurb.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Apple refurb packaging is literally just a brown box though.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
If you’re just using it at home on a desk just buy a big monitor

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

American McGay posted:

Apple refurb packaging is literally just a brown box though.

The inside white branded product box says Apple Certified Refurbished on it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Splinter posted:

The inside white branded product box says Apple Certified Refurbished on it

Yeah, my m1 iPad pro and Apple tv 4k had that

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

To confuse things even more, there are two different listings for the MBP in question, one says "geek squad certified refurbished" and the other just says "certified refurbished." They have different SKUs and the non-geek squad one is $100 more (though the "was" price is substantially lower than the cheaper of the two) but nothing to indicate why there is a difference between the SKUs.

Geek Squad Certified Refurbished MacBook Pro 14" Laptop - Apple M1 Pro chip - 16GB Memory - 512GB SSD - Space Gray GSRF MKGP3LL/A

Apple MacBook Pro 14" Certified Refurbished - M1 Pro chip - 8CPU/14GPU with 16GB Memory - 512GB SSD (2021) - Gray MKGP3LL/A

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

To confuse things even more, there are two different listings for the MBP in question, one says "geek squad certified refurbished" and the other just says "certified refurbished." They have different SKUs and the non-geek squad one is $100 more (though the "was" price is substantially lower than the cheaper of the two) but nothing to indicate why there is a difference between the SKUs.

Geek Squad Certified Refurbished MacBook Pro 14" Laptop - Apple M1 Pro chip - 16GB Memory - 512GB SSD - Space Gray GSRF MKGP3LL/A

Apple MacBook Pro 14" Certified Refurbished - M1 Pro chip - 8CPU/14GPU with 16GB Memory - 512GB SSD (2021) - Gray MKGP3LL/A

does apple sell refurbs at best buy? i notice one has a 90-day warranty (the one with GSRF (geek squad refurb?) in the model number) and one comes with a full one-year warranty (the more expensive one).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

if they (or some other company) do that would explain the 'was' price too - it would come in to best buy at the refurb price, whereas the geek squad refurb would have a 'was' price of the original best buy price

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

does apple sell refurbs at best buy? i notice one has a 90-day warranty (the one with GSRF (geek squad refurb?) in the model number) and one comes with a full one-year warranty (the more expensive one).

Where are you seeing the warranty details for these? Also I don't think it's an Apple refurbished one because the non-GSRF one's "features" says you get the laptop and a non-OEM charger, while the GSRF one says laptop and 67-watt magsafe charger w/ 2 meter cable

e: oh I see it now under the item comparison chart. Since they also offer their own extended warranty on it I'm inclined to think it might be an Apple refurbished device, but that non-OEM charger bit is making me question it along with it only having a single review.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 3, 2024

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Where are you seeing the warranty details for these? Also I don't think it's an Apple refurbished one because the non-GSRF one's "features" says you get the laptop and a non-OEM charger, while the GSRF one says laptop and 67-watt magsafe charger w/ 2 meter cable

ahhh, i bet it's some third party refurb then. the deets are under full specs:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

ahhh, i bet it's some third party refurb then. the deets are under full specs:

Thanks for looking that up. Well, I think I might give the cheaper one a dice roll and if I get a piece of poo poo in the mail I'll return it to one of my local stores and go for the other one or choose a different route. Appreciate the help!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Regardless I think a M1->M1 Pro is a bit of a sidegrade in 2024 anyway. If you’re not actually noticing any issues with your current setup just ride it out until you do. Things will always be getting faster and cheaper.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
FWIW the more expensive one looks like it could be an Apple refurb, but don’t hold me to that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

FWIW the more expensive one looks like it could be an Apple refurb, but don’t hold me to that.

nope it comes with a non-oem charger

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fwiw you can still add Apple care to the geek squad stuff. I’ve done it on a few different devices with no issues

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Microcenter and Woot both carry Apple Certified refurbs now. Unfortunately both retailers also sell non-Apple refurbs so you gotta keep an eye out.

BambooTelegraph
Jan 19, 2010
Odd question to ask, is it worth it for my to buy a busted screen m1 mbp for 300 and attempt to replace the monitor for a total of 200 or wait for the refresh to push m1 mbp/mba to a more affordable price?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BambooTelegraph posted:

Odd question to ask, is it worth it for my to buy a busted screen m1 mbp for 300 and attempt to replace the monitor for a total of 200 or wait for the refresh to push m1 mbp/mba to a more affordable price?

the m1 airs are already popping up for $600 on woot and have the last few months. that’s $100 more than your cost but it’s guaranteed.

i’d try and get the mbp for 150 and use it as a mini lol

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

lol if you’d have posted yesterday I’d have sold you my 2020 13” M1 MBP for $600

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

New M3 Airs announced, https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2024/03/apple-unveils-the-new-13-and-15-inch-macbook-air-with-the-powerful-m3-chip/

Supports two displays now, still the same base 8/256 for those who care. Order today, release on Friday.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Gonna trade my 2020 Intel Pro in on one of those then just to wait until the M3 Studios come out and I'll finally be rid of Intel Macs. Although I'm hoping the Studios come soon as I'd rather replace that first as thats my main work machine

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I plan on keeping my Intel Macs for hardware fiddling as some projects still won't assemble on ARM quite right (gnuradio for one) and they guarantee compatibility for flashers for new devices.

Past that I just hate how they heat up so fast just to open YouTube and how anemic the CPUs are from 2016 to 2019

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'll keep the Intel mini as I don't think I'll get anything for it and it could be useful for messing around with. Although is it still impossible to use the internal storage if you want to run anything other than bootcamp or MacOS.

In general use the mini isn't too bad but as soon as I start doing anything with vm's I just end up running the fan at 100% as the temps just shoot up close to 100. Managed to get the same stuff working on an M1 machine and it just got slightly warm rather than turning the entire machine into a hot brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The Studio probably won’t see the M3 until WWDC but there’s always a chance it’ll be updated before then. They didn’t update the mini with the M3 with today’s announcement which was actually a little surprising.