Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

VictualSquid posted:

Isn't crime already "cast cards that your opponent owns"? Or is that a niche naming?

No, that's not an official name, and the archetype is generally called "theft"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

generatrix posted:

Wasn't that already how it worked? Didn't planeswalkers shrink on Segovia then pop back to normal size when they leave?

How would you be able to tell if everything scales proportionally? Or do you mean just their bodies, not everything else they brought with themselves.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The whole Segovia thing is because of one card, Segovian Leviathan which looks huge but is only a 3/3. So the official story is you shrink when you go there but if you bring anything away/summon it to a different plane it stays small.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Feel like we should take bets on when the Pokemon UB drops

If nothing else we are overdue for a yellow bordered Poke homecoming Secret Lair treatment for some creatures that are already Pokemonesque.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I doubt the pokemon company wants to deal with wotc again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Don't need their approval or involvement at all unless they actually depict Pokemon, which isn't what I'd want from a wink wink "remember when we invented that other game" Secret Lair anyway. I don't actually want Pokemon or any other IP to be in magic directly. You make a plane where all the animals can talk funny and jazz it up it all magic style.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Don't need their approval or involvement at all unless they actually depict Pokemon, which isn't what I'd want from a wink wink "remember when we invented that other game" Secret Lair anyway. I don't actually want Pokemon or any other IP to be in magic directly. You make a plane where all the animals can talk funny and jazz it up it all magic style.

Unfortunate that they didn't save the first instance of the "Land - Equipment" card type combination for this, really.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I pulled off the Sultai graveyard stuff draft deck with chalk outline and insidious roots and, folks, its fun. The fact that the 1/3 mana fixing gargoyle is a core card makes mana real easy, just need to focus on the uncommon payoffs.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Unfortunate that they didn't save the first instance of the "Land - Equipment" card type combination for this, really.

Peat Pot

Artifact Land - Equipment

Etb tapped

T: add g

Equipped creature has "T: add gg"

Equip (2)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Khanstant posted:

If nothing else we are overdue for a yellow bordered Poke homecoming Secret Lair treatment for some creatures that are already Pokemonesque.

I fail to see the advantage of making Pokemon trading cards for a game besides Pokemon Trading Card Game.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

Captain Invictus posted:

and? I'm not talking about the introduction of the weatherlight. they got rid of that loophole six years ago to make it explicit that only planeswalkers could traverse the multiverse. then introduced omenpaths to nix that change five years later.

Found this older post when browsing through the thread. MirVLight and the Rath Cycle were when I was into Magic and I rememver the Weatherlight fondly, even read some novelizations on Rath and Invasion. What did they do recently to remove its loophole? If I'm not mistaken, a whole plane had to be sacrificed in order to power its planeshifting ability, so it wasn't a "freebie" that just let others planeshift.

On an alternate note, I really like the theme of Murders at Karlov Manor and am getting into MtgA now to try some of it out! MtG was made to be an in-person game and I don't like its online interface as much as Hearthstone but it's still fun and nostalgic.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I fail to see the advantage of making Pokemon trading cards for a game besides Pokemon Trading Card Game.

they could put magic characters in Pokemon. I think Pokemon TCG has cards that depict humans

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

kalel posted:

they could put magic characters in Pokemon. I think Pokemon TCG has cards that depict humans

It does, yeah. That's where they print the good stuff, like "Divination that doesn't cost any mana", or "One-sided Wheel of Fortune that doesn't cost any mana".

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Found this older post when browsing through the thread. MirVLight and the Rath Cycle were when I was into Magic and I rememver the Weatherlight fondly, even read some novelizations on Rath and Invasion. What did they do recently to remove its loophole? If I'm not mistaken, a whole plane had to be sacrificed in order to power its planeshifting ability, so it wasn't a "freebie" that just let others planeshift.

Dominaria is the plane that exists at the center of the multiverse, and all the various apocalypses that it suffered throughout its history had taken such a toll that by the time of the Time Spiral block, the plane itself was in danger collapsing, which would have also caused the rest of the multiverse to be destroyed. Large tears in the fabric of time and space were popping up around the plane, corresponding to locations where apocalyptic events had occurred, and Teferi realized that the only way to seal them was for a Planeswalker to give up their spark to do so. This event, referred to as the Mending, is what caused the change to Planeswalkers that reduced them from "immortal godlike entities capable of creating entire artificial planes on a whim" to "mortal beings who just happen to have the ability to travel between planes." Apparently something about this also changed the nature of planar travel such that only Planeswalkers could do it, and all other methods that didn't involve Planeswalking were rendered unusable.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

It's fun and they would be sold for money

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Me too. I'm talking about a Secret Lair that would reprint MtG creatures with an alternate frame treatment.

lovely mocks but the its essentially a gaudy border, worse art proportions, and a more subtle color texture that type goes directly over. obviously doesn't work with the darker modern green mtg texture sloppily copied all over from a corner sample.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 24, 2024

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
I think the Prof's heart is usually in the right place with his analysis.

Nobody gives a solitary gently caress about the plot of Murders at Karlov Manner (what even is it? who died?), the setting and "magic characters but with funny hats" theme sucks rear end. It's fair to consider Murders at Karlov Manner with other releases that actually had a story people gave a poo poo about, some lore, and some thematic elements that made the game feel like it was at least self-consistent with the rest of the MTG universe.

As an example, (ignoring all of the orientalist tropes) in the Tarkir block, the theme and story and art was cool and complex and interesting. So much so that someone could talk about the set's design, context, story, and art continuously for four hours and twenty minutes to dive into the detail. Is that even possible with MKM?

Even more recent sets like Lost Caverns of Ixalan, The Brothers' War, or Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty are a thousand times more thematically interesting & rich.

I hope the Prof keeps making videos that critique this garbage and I think he is an important voice for the community.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Now do goblin lackey!

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I really wanted to like MKM's theme but it did kind of miss the mark. I think having Detective tribal mechanics kind of flies in the face of how detectives work in mystery stories, where there is usually just the one detective. If any others show up, they are usually rivals or obstacles for our plucky and clever hero.

The set just frankly has too many detectives in it and not enough unhappy socialites and bitter butlers; individual cards feel like they tap into the theme, but as a whole it doesn't really get there. I actually like how the suspect mechanic plays, but it evokes a low-level street chase rather than revealing the killer to a group gathered in a parlor. I feel like we were promised Poirot and instead got COPS.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We got Pinkertons are good from the people who hired Pinkertons

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

1024x768 posted:

Even more recent sets like Lost Caverns of Ixalan, The Brothers' War, or Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty are a thousand times more thematically interesting & rich.

Do not post lies here.

Except Neon Dynasty, that was cool.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

1024x768 posted:

Nobody gives a solitary gently caress about the plot of Murders at Karlov Manner (what even is it? who died?), the setting and "magic characters but with funny hats" theme sucks rear end. It's fair to consider Murders at Karlov Manner with other releases that actually had a story people gave a poo poo about, some lore, and some thematic elements that made the game feel like it was at least self-consistent with the rest of the MTG universe.

My daughter loved the stories, and so I read them as well. They were fun. First Zegana, then later Teysa were murdered. Various characters were being framed for the murder.

My kids also want another big sweeping story like the phyrexian invasion, want to see more of the gatewatch characters, and are delighted by fox Jace. I conclude that there are some parts of the audience that aren't drawn the same story elements as me.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I enjoyed the story they put on the website too but I don't think you can expect that level of engagement from your average goon

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I cared about as much for the MKM plot as I normally do, maybe a little more because the stakes were extremely clear and I knew exactly what payoff I was getting because Duh It's A Murder Mystery and frankly thought the theme was executed pretty well.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i actually like how many detectives there are because explicitly another faction has risen post-phyrexian invasion because both war of the spark and the phyrexians have made a lot of ravnicans disillusioned with their guilds but also wanting to still work as a group to help the plane, so all the detectives are actually part of a twelfth faction called RAMI (Ravnican Agency of Magicological Investigation) that was a truth cult prior to the invasions but blew up into an actual "guild" in size. the reason there's so many of them is because they're all investigating their own thing, they aren't directly tied to the main story, its meant to represent them spread out across the entire plane investigating crimes without any guild bias. Proft is just one of the many detectives under their banner.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I love mystery novels and (fictional) detectives/police stories and I loved the theme but didn't really interface with the actual story at all.

IDK if they have a name for it, but I really like the sets that are themed around a concept instead of a plane. Crimson Vow for weddings, LCI for caves, etc.

I wish they would have done what they did with Jurassic Park for LCI but for Terry Pratchett's Night Watch for MKM. Or The Wire I guess lol.

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 24, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Was it possible to solve the mystery of mkm story, or did they intentionally withhold clues or aspects of the current world so only proft could do it

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

FishFood posted:

The set just frankly has too many detectives in it and not enough unhappy socialites and bitter butlers; individual cards feel like they tap into the theme, but as a whole it doesn't really get there. I actually like how the suspect mechanic plays, but it evokes a low-level street chase rather than revealing the killer to a group gathered in a parlor. I feel like we were promised Poirot and instead got COPS.

Gameplay wise I appreciate this as it at least makes the 'detective matters' cards not always useless in draft. They aren't what you want to be drafting, but it's at least a deck you can win with.

Otherwise tho entirely agree. I've been having fun with an attempted Assassins build and there just aren't that many assassins to choose from, particularly 1-2 drops. Just generally find myself nodding along with folks who said Innistrad/New Capenna would have made more sense for this particular story type.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FishFood posted:

I really wanted to like MKM's theme but it did kind of miss the mark. I think having Detective tribal mechanics kind of flies in the face of how detectives work in mystery stories, where there is usually just the one detective. If any others show up, they are usually rivals or obstacles for our plucky and clever hero.

The many detectives were called out in the lore. Trostani had been murdering people for months and no one in the cities leadership cared until she murdered a guild leader. The other detectives are all trying to solve why all these random citizens were dying or disappearing.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Was it possible to solve the mystery of mkm story, or did they intentionally withhold clues or aspects of the current world so only proft could do it

"Has anyone considered that perhaps the culprit to the pollen based murder is the dryad?" is pretty drat solvable, IMO.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you did have to draw the connection that the thing that was mind controlling the various assassins was pollen, though

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

flatluigi posted:

I enjoyed the story they put on the website too but I don't think you can expect that level of engagement from your average goon

I don’t have time for that, too busy being told what to think by youtube guys.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cops leaping to the easiest conclusion early and ignoring all else is a pretty classic and common way crimes just go forever unsolved.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I actually enjoyed the reveal of trostani as the murderer because her reasoning made a ton of sense. "All these fuckers were collaborators to the invading machine body snatchers" is a pretty solid reason to start killing them.

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

This set's story felt a lot more engaging than the last few sets IMO. Having a lot more focus on the cards and 10 story articles rather than 5, with a tight character focus on a couple groups really helped for me. Proft and Etrata were a great pair, Kaya worked well with Kellan, and the setting made it so that things are familiar enough that we don't need to spend a ton of time explaining groups and motivations.

I super don't understand the "This should have been on New Capenna" calls at all. A return to a new, not terribly well received plane like 2-3 years later (returns have been faster, but that's wildly fast), using a world with very few established characters to bounce off of just doesn't follow for me at all. The fact that it's Zegana and Tesya who are murdered, characters who've had multiple cards for over the years, leaders of factions who we know from years of sets in Ravnica, along with the rest of the players (Aurelia, Trostani, Judith, Kaya) does a lot to make the mystery function.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What other plane could you have the question "I wonder if Massacre Girl is the killer"

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Gameplay wise I appreciate this as it at least makes the 'detective matters' cards not always useless in draft. They aren't what you want to be drafting, but it's at least a deck you can win with.

Otherwise tho entirely agree. I've been having fun with an attempted Assassins build and there just aren't that many assassins to choose from, particularly 1-2 drops. Just generally find myself nodding along with folks who said Innistrad/New Capenna would have made more sense for this particular story type.

Yeah, "Detectives Matter" is a fine mechanic in a vacuum, and I think that draft archetype is pretty fun, it just doesn't match up very well with how detectives behave in the fiction the set is trying to emulate. I think I would have preferred for the tribal mechanic to be "rogues" or "citizens" or something to represent suspects and quirky characters, and then have Detectives be a smaller number of cards.

As for the location, they could have set it anywhere. I think Ravnica is just fine; it's more evocative of American hard-boiled stuff than Agatha Christie country-house type mysteries, but that's a valid choice.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The many detectives were called out in the lore. Trostani had been murdering people for months and no one in the cities leadership cared until she murdered a guild leader. The other detectives are all trying to solve why all these random citizens were dying or disappearing.

It's not about how they write the lore (I hate that loving word), it's about what kind of fiction they're trying to evoke. The mystery genre is almost exclusively about following a single detective as they solve crimes with their wits, so having the detective archetype be all about getting as many detectives in play as possible doesn't really fit. Again, it feels more like COPS than Poirot.

They can make up whatever they want to justify having a billion detectives in the set, I just think the decision to put all those detectives there in the first place was a mistake.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

FishFood posted:

The mystery genre is almost exclusively about following a single detective as they solve crimes with their wits,

good thing the story for the set was literally exactly that...? :confused:

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Mix. posted:

good thing the story for the set was literally exactly that...? :confused:

I'm talking about the cards themselves and how they evoke a story, not about the short stories they post on the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Khanstant posted:

Cops leaping to the easiest conclusion early and ignoring all else is a pretty classic and common way crimes just go forever unsolved.

It's not quite part of the murder mystery genre, at least not as a protagonist, but it does feel very tonally in-keeping that Nelly and her entire deck has absolutely no way to find a murderer (and despite it being her job to do so, no cards based around solving a case), and only ways to accuse people presumably innocent people of being one.

She is definitely a character in the inevitable true crime podcast that ensues.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 25, 2024