Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Growing up in the country is in the DSMV.

as it should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

i see best girl karlach is nowhere to be found. I'm definitely Not Mad about this! honestly!1!1!1:shepicide:

I know it'll never happen in a million years but id love if someone made an Arcade Beat Em Up in the style of those capcom D&D games but with BG3 characters

Why would Karlach be in an image full of elves

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

watched the two episodes of ninja kamui on hbo and it was real bad also lol at the hero's motivation for defecting was because he was racist and didn't think foreigners should be ninjas

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I liked the fights a bit, but it's no Ninja Slayer

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

it sort of seems like the anime version of The Crow and that's not a complement

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Buck Wildman posted:

watched the two episodes of ninja kamui on hbo and it was real bad also lol at the hero's motivation for defecting was because he was racist and didn't think foreigners should be ninjas

I forgot exactly how the flashback went but I think his motivation to leave was because the ninjas were only supposed to be peacekeepers acting in the interest of national self-defense, and then they tried to grow both their military power and membership beyond that in an effort to spread outside Japan and expand their global reach, and at that point the MC smelled some fash-y world domination poo poo and jumped ship.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm sure that's it

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ninja Kamui has been stylistically interesting so far, if nothing else. The plot isn't all that complex but it's a pretty standard revenge story so it's not gonna be a show you watch for the plot. You watch it for the action and the fight scenes.

The bigger problem is that Jason DeMarco doesn't have a swell track record production-wise. Almost every series he's done has ended up being boring over-ambitious garbage, usually with a giant messy exposition dump crammed into the final episode because he can't figure out how to space that poo poo out over the course of a whole season, which is how long his shows always last because he's never gotten a second season on anything. The one exception is the Shenmue anime, which was pretty good at capturing the games and actually deserved (and almost got) a second season.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

https://twitter.com/jenuflexion/status/1761426382553301282?t=Vi5NeNHintV_fE3Wn_ejuw&s=19

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

genericnick posted:

Rewatching Paranoia Agent. At least, I'm sure I watched it at some point, but weirdly I remember nothing. Or maybe not weird after 20 years. Opening slaps, watching that every time

Hahaha, the offline suicide meet-up. This stuff is great.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Why would Karlach be in an image full of elves

pointy ears is elf

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

pointy ears is elf

Simple as

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Binged Eminence in Shadow over the last week. It was really loving good. A farce where the only person not aware it's not a farce is the protagonist. I thought for sure that the story would reveal the truth to him sooner or later but instead it just continues to be about him going around living out his chuuni fantasies while accidentally saving the world. So loving funny. The part where his sister becomes host to an ancient spirit and she tells him in the most accidentally chuuni-sounding way, "I think I have a mysterious power residing in my left hand" and he nods to himself thinking, "ah, she's at that age, huh" had me dying

Also watched Symphogear on a recommendation from this thread. It really is like a weird cross between Nanoha and Madoka with singing, and just sort of slides along that scale depending on the plot. It's wickedly hotblooded and I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it before considering it seems to be a fairly successful franchise and has like 5 seasons or whatever. Only show where a magical girl has a song with the opening line, "A gatling gun doesn't need a greeting" and special attacks like "Mega Deth Party." It's just good, dumb fun

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

lol

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kit Walker posted:

Binged Eminence in Shadow over the last week. It was really loving good. A farce where the only person not aware it's not a farce is the protagonist. I thought for sure that the story would reveal the truth to him sooner or later but instead it just continues to be about him going around living out his chuuni fantasies while accidentally saving the world. So loving funny. The part where his sister becomes host to an ancient spirit and she tells him in the most accidentally chuuni-sounding way, "I think I have a mysterious power residing in my left hand" and he nods to himself thinking, "ah, she's at that age, huh" had me dying

Also watched Symphogear on a recommendation from this thread. It really is like a weird cross between Nanoha and Madoka with singing, and just sort of slides along that scale depending on the plot. It's wickedly hotblooded and I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it before considering it seems to be a fairly successful franchise and has like 5 seasons or whatever. Only show where a magical girl has a song with the opening line, "A gatling gun doesn't need a greeting" and special attacks like "Mega Deth Party." It's just good, dumb fun

Symphogear is also gay as hell and you love to see it.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Symphogear is extremely good.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

Symphogear is also gay as hell and you love to see it.

That's like half the reason I watch any magical girl show

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kit Walker posted:

That's like half the reason I watch any magical girl show

wh-what's the other half

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

wh-what's the other half

The power of friendship and cool fight scenes

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.animefeminist.com/unlovely-complex-social-justice-misogyny-and-the-lovely-complex-dub/

lol a dipshit youtuber got onto the english dub of Lovely Complex and decided to make the strawman "english localizer that HATES anime" real and published a huge blog post talking about how much of a bitch he thinks the female lead is, giving himself a pat on the back for "fixing" the series, and calling the mangaka a psychopath. basically just baked a big birthday cake for otaku freaks.

EDIT:

quote:

This is one of those series that was written by a very strange person, kinda like 50 Shades of Grey, and it just gets stranger and stranger the longer you look into it. The way all the characters talk and interact is wrong. The way Risa is painted as the good guy despite makes exclusively bad decisions makes everything feel like it's written by a woman with "I HATE drama!!!" in her Twitter bio and then five separate callout tweets right below it. You get the sense the author sees the world the same way Risa Koizumi does, and Risa Koizumi as a character only makes sense if she is a psychopath who does not understand human empathy.

Of note: The mangaka also makes a cameo in the final episode of the anime. She shows up as a fashion designer and everybody praises how pretty and talented she is. She then tells Risa "It's my job to make you look good!"

I think you failed, ma'am.

Lenti was the head writer on this and all their decisions were final, but I did tell them that if we didn't cut the characters praising the mangaka out of that episode in our dub, I would quit the co-writing position on the spot.
oh my god this is the most annoying dude on the planet

Augus has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Feb 25, 2024

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It was a big nothingburger since none of the changes they wanted to make made it into the actual dub. Career immolation over nothing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Srice posted:

It was a big nothingburger since none of the changes they wanted to make made it into the actual dub. Career immolation over nothing.

lol and he dragged his friend under the bus with him too. what a dumbass.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh yeah the jelloapocalypse thing. it's really loving funny that this guy thinks he knows better than the author, when if you look at his youtube channel his current project is some kind of insufferably twee illustrated audiobook.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

a guy who changes the translation of foreign romantic comedies to insert his judgments about the women in them sounds like a supporting character in a bridget jones reboot

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
been watching delicious in dungeon, it has some great cooking/game design tips

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think Ryoko Kui said that Dungeon Meshi wouldn't make a good game because it focuses on stuff most games ignore to focus on the gameplay loop, but there's a ton of demand for a party-based RPG with survival mechanics, imo. Survival mechanics were a big element of tabletop games from the beginning.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I would simply not watch a dub

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think Ryoko Kui said that Dungeon Meshi wouldn't make a good game because it focuses on stuff most games ignore to focus on the gameplay loop, but there's a ton of demand for a party-based RPG with survival mechanics, imo. Survival mechanics were a big element of tabletop games from the beginning.

plenty of games have a combat beat / downtime beat structure like dungeon meshi but usually the downtime is very mechanically focused. you could make a good one where the food downtime hinges on what formal mechanized character bonds get forged or strengthened

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kit Walker posted:

The power of friendship and cool fight scenes

:amen:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Reskin Darkest Dungeon but instead of nihilistic Lovecraftian horror, make it funny and cute and have a little text box pop up after a party wipe saying that your dudes eventually got revived and made it back to the surface (but they are quitting dungeon exploration forever). Kui-sensei, where's my check??

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Do a story/relationship game like Persona but instead of JRPG battles there are Cooking Mama style cooking mini games.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

i think that a huge missed opportunity for modern "crafting" and "survival" games is ecology. i want more games with ecologies!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Being able to focus on the mundane everyday realities of dungeoneering is the base that Dungeon Meshi builds an epic story on top of. If everything's a spectacle then nothing is.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
It's time to remake Sim Ant, and if I have to make them big boobie anime girl ants to get funding that's a sacrifice I'm willing to pay someone else to make

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

dungeon meshi english dub is pretty good and I fully eschew the sub version as a result

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
ProZD is in it so you know it's quality

(Was he a goon? I assumed so but who knows)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Augus posted:

https://www.animefeminist.com/unlovely-complex-social-justice-misogyny-and-the-lovely-complex-dub/

lol a dipshit youtuber got onto the english dub of Lovely Complex and decided to make the strawman "english localizer that HATES anime" real and published a huge blog post talking about how much of a bitch he thinks the female lead is, giving himself a pat on the back for "fixing" the series, and calling the mangaka a psychopath. basically just baked a big birthday cake for otaku freaks.

EDIT:

oh my god this is the most annoying dude on the planet

Oh is this why Ive been seeing the odd video on YouTube complaining about that Miss Kobayashi bit about casting off patriarchal societies expectations? Which I could swear the last time this came up the subs said something extremely similar but didn't use terms that trigger the type of people who complain about videogames and anime "getting political"

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 08:57 on Feb 26, 2024

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

KomradeX posted:

Oh is this why Ive been seeing the odd video on YouTube complaining about that Miss Kobayashi bit about casting off patriarchal societies expectations? Which I could swear the last time this came up the subs said something extremely similar but didn't use terms that trigger the type of people who complain about videogames and anime "getting political"

It's cool how those types of shouty youtube dudes will screech about how this is a constant problem with the industry but the most recent "example" they can cite is like, 7 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I still think about the Buttercup Dew review of Dragon Maid every now and then, where he's complaining about it being lesbian propaganda despite being a gay man who's into My Little Pony.

https://counter-currents.com/2017/05/miss-kobayashis-dragon-maid-vs-ethnonationalism/