Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

yeah the audio design in l4d2 kicked rear end. the torrential rain, audio stingers, echoing sewers, enemy cues, frying pans. i only played a little bit of b4b but there was nothing comparable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If all you're doing with your remake is adding more polygons to the 3D models though I agree it's not worth full price

Was the GBC remake of Link's Awakening full price? I can't remember, I don't think I got that one when it was new

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

my_custom_username posted:

I think above all else the zombies just aren't memorable the way L4D's are. Running into a Tank on Expert as the ground starts shaking and its big scary theme is blaring in the background sticks with you. None of the zombies in B4B did that for me
there's definitely that, the most memorable thing i can think of is loading some shells into artillery while a bunch of not-tanks come out but even then like 7/10th it'd bug out and nothing would spawn lol

fundamentally there were just terrible design decisions. take L4D (and lesser extent, 2) for example, all the specials are designed to be particular foils for bad survivor strategy and punish doing [x or y] and force some adaption. they're well designed to fullfill particulary components to bog down survivors in specific but very discernable ways. they all have very distinct cues and silhouettes so you know what you're dealing with and survivors can instantly plan for it and adapt.

in B4B, they put specials in "just because" with no thought to what they actually do. so instead you just get this amorphous lumps that all basically just amount to "dps check" on weapons and they all just do not-well-defined functions and all look/sound the same. so there's no real tactic-foil rather than just checking if survivors have enough dps frequently -- too frequently. they lost their specialness because they just poo poo them out constantly.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Snowrunner but tilt shift would make a zillion dollars

Does Snowrunner have a good modding scene? Seems like the kind of game that would

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

loquacius posted:

Does Snowrunner have a good modding scene? Seems like the kind of game that would

iirc there's a bunch of custom mod trucks and skins, but not much fundamentally in the way of gameplay. https://mod.io/g/snowrunner so lotta custom trucks, not much else. whether that's anemic or not is up to you

i think the most interesting thing I saw was a truck with a bridge on the back that it can deploy to cross small channels.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Flying trucks, trucking in Optimus Prime, truck cannon to blast obstacles away, mod to link several truck trailers together into a train thing

or, more likely, anime girl decals for your truck

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Snowrunner mods are generally 1 of 3 things: overpowered mega trucks to trivialize the maps, specific brands/models of truck that the modder themselves is just personally horny for but haven't gotten an official DLC, and logging overhauls

The first one has some fun stuff because it includes very narrow trivialization like being able to deploy bridges, or stuff that's so capable it rolls back around to being almost useless like the 20x20 enormous mega truck that can't even leave some garages

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

Snowrunner mods are generally 1 of 3 things: overpowered mega trucks to trivialize the maps, specific brands/models of truck that the modder themselves is just personally horny for but haven't gotten an official DLC, and logging overhauls

The first one has some fun stuff because it includes very narrow trivialization like being able to deploy bridges, or stuff that's so capable it rolls back around to being almost useless like the 20x20 enormous mega truck that can't even leave some garages
yeah the RNG TX bridgelayer is kinda neat https://mod.io/g/snowrunner/m/rng-tx-bridge-layer but i never bothered with modded trucks just because there's so many in the base game and i'm not autistically horny for a particular 1962 jeep cj7 in white or whatever niche 1942 volkwagon

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

loquacius posted:

Imo a tilt-shift shader is a pretty great idea aesthetically and I'm not sure why it has never been used since

Tilt-shifted pictures were a trend briefly around 2018 or thereabouts and haven't come back around but it still looks cool

Flurdeh has a lot of kewl tilt shifted vids of different games https://www.youtube.com/@Flurdeh/videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj4rdkaK4-k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF9xKL0zdlg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFKEj8G7anU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TDypBeaehE

no, I don't think their name used to be Flurdy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Truck version of Sam Porter Bridges, deploying a truck zipline, or perhaps driving another truck

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

it's funny how everyone in this thread apparently fantasizes about being an amazon delivery driver

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Kojima is a genius

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Anyone playing Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden? So far it feels very Witcher-ish, except all about ghosts.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I got my revenge on the buff anime guys

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I hated the links awakening remake. the stupid toybox theme and the musical choices, I disliked all of it. I'm just a hater though.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Zokari posted:

it's funny how everyone in this thread apparently fantasizes about being an amazon delivery driver

No, I fantasize about delivering goods and resources in a Soviet society, it's totally different

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
its pretty funny that pacific drive has a straight pride flag in it

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah the honkers in the clip are pretty good but

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
pacific drive is good, got a good vibe (high strangeness)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

hubris.height posted:

ff7r2 demo extra content has been fun, i'm getting my rear end kicked and i know that means i gotta get into the menus some more

One thing I realized (that was also true in Remake, but less necessary) is that blocking is intended to be the main "reactive" form of defense. The block button should be the one you hit when you're suddenly threatened. Block also has "perfect blocks" that can sometimes pressure enemies, and maybe stun them or something.

Dodge seems more situational and mainly for situations where you're prepared for a heavily telegraphed attack. It doesn't work well as an "oh poo poo" button.

It also seems like hitting enemy weaknesses is more important in Rebirth and often a prerequisite for reasonably staggering them. On the upside, it's also easier since Rebirth has dual-element materia and elemental character abilities, so having full elemental coverage is much easier and doesn't require constant materia shuffling.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Steam big picture mode, launching Dragon Quest 11. Gonna forge a few equipment items then see what I run into.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Want to point out games in 1994 like FF6 were also 70 bucks and that's like 150 today, it's actually kinda crazy that 70 is effectively the max now and most games are less and if you just wait a year you can usually not pay more than like 30 unless it's Nintendo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Stefan Prodan posted:

Want to point out games in 1994 like FF6 were also 70 bucks and that's like 150 today, it's actually kinda crazy that 70 is effectively the max now and most games are less and if you just wait a year you can usually not pay more than like 30 unless it's Nintendo
well it's $70 but a lot of mega-corp are pushing $90-100 new prices for ~play it 24 hours early and get premium battle pass packs with 1000 goldcoins~. so many goons dropped $90 on diablo4 just to play it a few days early lol

but yeah games, particularly cartridges, used to be pretty fuckin' expensive but you could also rent them from like Hollywood Video or Blockbuster for $3-5 instead, or trade them around the school

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Stefan Prodan posted:

They sell 50x more copies and have zero shipping and packaging cost.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

They sell 50x more copies and have zero shipping and packaging cost.

That's fair but I do think it's balanced somewhat by how cheap they get and how fast

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

well it's $70 but a lot of mega-corp are pushing $90-100 new prices for ~play it 24 hours early and get premium battle pass packs with 1000 goldcoins~. so many goons dropped $90 on diablo4 just to play it a few days early lol

but yeah games, particularly cartridges, used to be pretty fuckin' expensive but you could also rent them from like Hollywood Video or Blockbuster for $3-5 instead, or trade them around the school

I mean couldn't you share a GOG account with someone you trust or a PSN account and split games that way too, there's still ways to split the cost of things

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zokari posted:

sam has better working conditions than an amazon worker because he's allowed to take a piss on the job

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Why is that worse than "walking around getting into random battles" though? Or any of the other relatively mindless stuff that compromises like 95% of the vast majority of single-player games, including stuff like Souls-likes. I can understand someone saying this if they only enjoy competitive multi-player games, but the vast majority of single-player games are mostly comprised of things that aren't exactly super stimulating or challenging.

There's this assumption built into what you're saying that "doing literally anything is inherently better than passively watching a scene," which is definitely just "a weird personal aversion" rather than some objective evaluation of whether a game is made well.

Because video games aren't movies. They are a discrete medium.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

I'm sobbing because the video games are too expensive. If I buy more than twenty games in a month i might not be able to max out my various investment fund contributions for that period. The video game developers are literally taking food out of my family's mouths.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zokari posted:

Being a delivery driver is socially useful work. The problem has always been the conditions and the pay

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Zokari posted:

Sam Porter Bridges has a badass job. He hikes and goes on road trips for a living. Everyone he meets gives him food and shelter and equipment and validation because they recognize his contributions to society. I would sell you into slavery for a job like that, I don't care how heavy the packages are.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

i've been playing the outer wilds dlc lately. haven't made it to the scary part yet, but's it's great so far. the owl people seem less friendly than the nomai

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pacific drive isnt doing it for me.

when i finish a mission i absolutely dont want to do another one.

i can imagine it being very good if its for you tho.

last epoch is definitely for me in that way.

loving the hell out of that.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

shooting myself in the head with a gun to summon my pokemon

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Popy posted:

shooting myself in the head with a gun to summon my pokemon

this is how persona works

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Real hurthling! posted:

pacific drive isnt doing it for me.

when i finish a mission i absolutely dont want to do another one.
well it's a very tense anxiety game, like watching Uncut Gems but in video game format. if you like roguelites and love hoovering up and dismantling every scrap of loot in Fallout to bring back home to upgrade your base, it's definitely in the alley. if you don't like feeling discordant-anxiety tension & roguelites and don't like hoovering up loot like kirby, then probably not for someone.

it's like Firewatch mixed with Uncut Gems mixed with Fallout 4 mixed with STALKER.

it's not a zen chill-out game, even though personally dismantling everything and hoovering up loot is zen. i can get why having high-strung safdie brother anxiety isn't something people want to keep diving back into again and again

i'm alternating between LE and PD just to give some heart-rate cooldown

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:53 on Feb 25, 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Last Epoch was down for the early evening. I nudged my FFXIV story forward one notch. Then I went to the Golden Saucer to play some mini games. My triple Triad game went into sudden death 3 times, but I got victory and a card. My lotto tickets were all losers, but I still got fat stacks of MGP from the fashion show game. 10/10 the song is still stuck in my head.

Last Epoch went back up and I nudged the game forward one notch. I need to assemble a build path sticky note and put it on my desk somewhere. I assembled the thing and I am spinning and I am winning.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im gonna buy unicorn overlord probably. gently caress ff7 maybe

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

love hoovering up and dismantling every scrap of loot in Fallout to bring back home to upgrade your base, it's definitely in the alley.

Oh my god??? This is exactly me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

im gonna buy unicorn overlord probably. gently caress ff7 maybe

I just downloaded the demo and I'm two hours in and holy poo poo I had no idea this existed