Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you'll know it's working when you stream a PS5 game lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My battery woes are finally coming to an end as in the battery is probably done. Health shows it at 46% and it’s very erratic and showing wild spikes in charge. Ordered a replacement kit from ifixit so I get to have fun unglueing the battery next weekend.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I turn rumble off in everything. It doesn't really add much to the experience for me except shaking controllers out of my grip.

I sure had a couple rumble paks (always with dead batteries...) though

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 24, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rumble rules though and I didn’t really think much about how much I enjoy it until that Mad Max game a few years back, where because every game for the last 20 years has taught my hands that when you’re driving off road at speed the controller should be vibrating angrily, I just couldn’t get into it because there was nothing at all unless you crashed the car into something.

Felt bad.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Thanks to those who recommended https://store.steampowered.com/app/2321470/Deep_Rock_Galactic_Survivor/ gives the genre a raison detre, or anyway a satisfying evolution of the format. Instead of just "walk around," there's also "walk around slower" or dig. Adds a risk-reward thing without over-mechanicalizing the procedure. The simplicity of the genre remains intact, but it gives you something to do while you're surviving. I was in the middle of a "I don't feel like playing anything" spell.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I have no interest in a ps5... except that the haptics are apparently amazing

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They really are.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah they whip rear end and a surprising number of third party developers actually use them in multiplats

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mescal posted:

Thanks to those who recommended https://store.steampowered.com/app/2321470/Deep_Rock_Galactic_Survivor/ gives the genre a raison detre, or anyway a satisfying evolution of the format. Instead of just "walk around," there's also "walk around slower" or dig. Adds a risk-reward thing without over-mechanicalizing the procedure. The simplicity of the genre remains intact, but it gives you something to do while you're surviving. I was in the middle of a "I don't feel like playing anything" spell.

Yeah the digging and deciding which things to actually mine changes things quite a bit while keeping the formula intact.

It’s a good game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The PS5 haptics and triggers are “these should be industry standards” levels of good. And I say that as someone who has wrists of dust who had been turning rumble off in every game for 5 years or so until I got a PS5.

Fortunately all those features work on the PC ports of Sony’s games so you just need a DualSense and a copy of Returnal on Steam to see what we mean. You should buy Returnal because it’s good and no-one else did.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Someone previously mentioned Tetris effect was a religious experience and I audibly rolled my eyes and groaned.

Then I played it. They were right and I'm so sorry

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kwolok posted:

Someone previously mentioned Tetris effect was a religious experience and I audibly rolled my eyes and groaned.

Connect with us.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah they whip rear end and a surprising number of third party developers actually use them in multiplats

Do even a single one of them make use of the gyro or is that still being steadfastly ignored three generations in? No I'm not still mad about this you are.

I do love the dualsense, I sold my PS5 for a Steam Deck and also because basically everything I wanted to play came out on PC as well, but it's fantastically made and when my current controller dies that'll be its replacement.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 25, 2024

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the sticks are in the wrong spot :shrug:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

the sticks are in the wrong spot :shrug:

:wrong:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Oooh a lovely thread, thank you

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Is there a way to sort through screenshots easier for upload to your Steam profile? Every time I examine one and close out, it bumps me back to the top of the list, and I have nearly 6000. lol.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The ps4 controller is one of the shittier controllers I've ever used

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Spent ages trying to get the Steam version of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory playing nice on the Steam Deck. It works, but the controls are busted and the display is all funky.

After ages tweaking inis and testing controller layouts I remembered it got a PS3 port... and it works beautifully on RPCS3. Would have saved a whole bunch of time...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What about the OG Xbox port?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Just tried out Tetris Effect on my OLED. Playing that in the dark with headphones might be as close to a religious experience I ever get, holy crap.

Kwolok posted:

Glad you came around!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What about the OG Xbox port?

I've never had much luck with Xemu on Steam Deck tbh and I figure as a pretty late Xbox release it wouldn't run well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

FF7 Rebirth coming out next week on PS5 is gonna be a tough pill to swallow. I’m gonna have to give Chiaki another try.

I also might want to try this. One of the only downsides to a 120hz OLED TV is that 30fps gaming is very painful on it (the judder is terrible for 30fps on OLEDs) and the Performance Mode for Rebirth kinda looks like poo poo on the big screen. I figured out a combination of settings that more-or-less imitate 30fps for LCD displays, but they involve my TV's frame interpolation, which means input lag. The input lag is basically okay for most elements of Rebirth's gameplay, but it's a big issue for stuff like the piano minigame (and I suspect it'll also gently caress up things like perfect block timing). The ~.1s of input lag is pretty debilitating for anything requiring precise timing.

On a small screen, Performance Mode wouldn't be an issue. So streaming might be another good option.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

I also might want to try this. One of the only downsides to a 120hz OLED TV is that 30fps gaming is very painful on it (the judder is terrible for 30fps on OLEDs) and the Performance Mode for Rebirth kinda looks like poo poo on the big screen. I figured out a combination of settings that more-or-less imitate 30fps for LCD displays, but they involve my TV's frame interpolation, which means input lag. The input lag is basically okay for most elements of Rebirth's gameplay, but it's a big issue for stuff like the piano minigame (and I suspect it'll also gently caress up things like perfect block timing). The ~.1s of input lag is pretty debilitating for anything requiring precise timing.

On a small screen, Performance Mode wouldn't be an issue. So streaming might be another good option.

FWIW reports are that the final game performance mode looks much better than the demo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If Splinter Cell Chaos Theory got remaster, I'd buy that poo poo day one.

Chaos Theory (at least on OG Xbox) was incredible. I remember getting it and Burnout 3 Takedown around the same time, and I was like in gaming heaven. Add either one of the Timesplitters games and it was perfect.

C'mon devs, give me back all of my favourite Xbox and 360/xbla games on Steam. Like where the gently caress is Kingdom/World of Keflings? I loved those games.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Chaos Theory (at least on OG Xbox) was incredible. I remember getting it and Burnout 3 Takedown around the same time, and I was like in gaming heaven. Add either one of the Timesplitters games and it was perfect.

C'mon devs, give me back all of my favourite Xbox and 360/xbla games on Steam. Like where the gently caress is Kingdom/World of Keflings? I loved those games.

Burnout 3 was my favorite game in the whole series. Timesplitters 2 was amazing as well. Other games I'd like to come back are Split/Second, and Army of Two Devil's Cartel. One got screwed over by Disney, and the other by EA.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chaos Theory (at least on OG Xbox) was incredible.

it was soooo good. the music... the graphics... incredible

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it was soooo good. the music... the graphics... incredible

No one else I knew had it, which sucked, because I always desperately wanted to play the multiplayer (mercs vs spies). It sounds like the most bonkers insane matchup. As a spy, you can literally spider-dangle down to a merc, and the game gives you a prompt to say something (anything you want) in your xbl mic, which your character is essentially whispering into the merc's ear before you kill them.

It was the most lopsided sounding thing in the best way possible.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Mercs vs Spies was indeed amazing and is unfortunately too beautiful for the modern world.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Pacific drive is pretty playable at 30 with some dips on low settings. It crashed once returning to the garage but saved beforehand so it was all good.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Anyone here playing Helldivers 2 on Deck?

There’s videos out there of course and it sounds like there’s compromises, but I always find it handy to ask. Curious if anyone is enjoying it on Deck, or if there’s just too much compromise.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Chaos Theory (at least on OG Xbox) was incredible. I remember getting it and Burnout 3 Takedown around the same time, and I was like in gaming heaven.

Thanks for the reminder. I own physical copies of Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory and Double Agent for my OG XBox. Gonna play them on my 19” CRT television in honor of the posts above me.

E:holy poo poo, I forgot I have a physical copy of Burnout 3 too.

E:Chaos Theory still looks pretty decent on a CRT.

To bring this back, what’s the best XBox emulator for the Steamdeck?

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 26, 2024

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Bumhead posted:

Anyone here playing Helldivers 2 on Deck?

There’s videos out there of course and it sounds like there’s compromises, but I always find it handy to ask. Curious if anyone is enjoying it on Deck, or if there’s just too much compromise.

It’s a little ugly, but totally playable. It’s definitely one I prefer to play on or stream from my laptop, but I still enjoy it on the Deck itself.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Chaos theory literally blew my mind as a kid. Here was a game with incredibly detailed stealth gameplay and an actually compelling plot. I had never played anything like it. I know I know Tom Clancy but it was 12, and it ruled.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

tango alpha delta posted:

To bring this back, what’s the best XBox emulator for the Steamdeck?

Xemu is what EmuDeck gives you, but just to be aware, Burnout 3 doesn't work on it. I had to use the PS2 version (and rebind accelerate and brake to the triggers) to get Burnout 3 on the deck. If someone knows how the Xbox version can be made work, I'd love to hear it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Armitage_Shanks posted:

Xemu is what EmuDeck gives you, but just to be aware, Burnout 3 doesn't work on it. I had to use the PS2 version (and rebind accelerate and brake to the triggers) to get Burnout 3 on the deck. If someone knows how the Xbox version can be made work, I'd love to hear it.

Xemu works sort of, but unless I'm configuring it wrong or something it's a real crapshoot on whether games will run properly, and even if they do sometimes a weird shader in the middle of the game will slow it to a crawl or FMVs won't play properly.

I think there's a few games like JSRF and Halo that run almost flawlessly, but I didn't have much luck with DoA3, Panzer Dragoon Orta or Quantum Redshift.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Xemu has played everything I’ve thrown at it

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

Xemu has played everything I’ve thrown at it

Yeah, it plays most games, but usually with compromises.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The state of Xbox emulation is a lot less advanced than ps2 or gc's stuff, so if something is multiplatform I'd suggest running a different version. In my experience it's usually something like GC > PS2 > Windows (if there's a port) > Xbox in terms of playability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Yea you guys were right, Against the Storm runs and controls great on the deck, and it's a great game. Good game to pick up for an hour or two before I fall asleep.