Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Glad to hear the Avatar adaption is 'good to ok' sounds like. Sucks that the original creators can't catch a break on staying attached to their property, but it's not like they got Disco Elyisum'd out of working in that world. Will have to give it a watch.

Shame that tv only exists in ten episode chunks nowadays. Big strength of that series in particular was the journey of it, so while a lot of the one-off's weren't as memorable, they really filled in the world in a way that made that series shine and helped better trace the character growth as they trotted along. Without that I would be surprised if this had as big a popularity splash as the original, or heck One Piece Live Action had, but going in with an open mind.

iirc Mike and Bryan weren't kicked off of the project, they left because they weren't being listened to, in a sense. Also, while it would be kinda nice to have even 1 or 2 additional episodes, they've still managed to get a lot of worldbuilding into the season. The difference this time around is that it means we are giving more depth to the supporting cast (such as Zuko's crew) as opposed to...whatever The Great Divide was supposed to communicate. That, and because they've shifted around some things and made slight character changes such as Aang not crushing on Katara all the time, or even at all, really, it means they can cut out some episodes and mix in plots from future episodes. Because of introducing Azula earlier, we already know about Iroh's son and how he abandoned the siege of Ba Sing Se to grieve, and how this impacted his reputation in the Fire Nation. We're spending some time with Azula, Ty Lee, and Mei before they go off Avatar hunting and it's kind of nice that they're already foreshadowing Ozai's whole "oh yeah, I guess you can be Fire Lord, but you're still gonna be subservient to me as the Phoenix King" treatment of her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Watching Constellation on Apple TV. They should have called it Constipation because I'm not a fan of it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

Watching Constellation on Apple TV. They should have called it Constipation because I'm not a fan of it.

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that it's a bit basic.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that it's a bit basic.

The concept has promise but the dialogue feels like college writing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but that was my fear seeing it was written by Peter Harness :sigh:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

The concept has promise but the dialogue feels like college writing.

It's all the scenes with the family on the ground that really keyed me into its vibe. They're repetitive, shallow, generic. There's nothing going on beneath the surface, and they keep cutting back to them to play the same one note over and over. It's not great stuff, and the show is hanging so so much on it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My immediate takeaway from the first episode of Avatar is it seems kinda cool but man none of these kids can act. Their performances feel so flat and phoned in. The worldbuilding is cool though and I'm going to keep watching it and see where it goes, I wasn't sold on any of the One Piece actors after the first episode either but they ended up growing on me.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 25, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

We thought Shogun was going to be on, it wasn't, so friends wanted to watch Avatar instead so we saw the first few episodes of that instead

It's ok but lmao at how lovely the water power is

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

deep dish peat moss posted:

My immediate takeaway from the first episode of Avatar is it seems kinda cool but man none of these kids can act. Their performances feel so flat and phoned in. The worldbuilding is cool though and I'm going to keep watching it and see where it goes, I wasn't sold on any of the One Piece actors after the first episode either but they ended up growing on me.

We're watching the live action Ember Island Players

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but that was my fear seeing it was written by Peter Harness :sigh:

I liked that Mr.Strange and Nottel show he produced. High quality.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shageletic posted:

I liked that Mr.Strange and Nottel show he produced. High quality.

Haven't seen those, my exposure to him was through the stuff he wrote for Doctor Who which were bafflingly awful and seemingly delivered the exact opposite message that he intended. How much of that was down to the behind-the-scenes showrunning process I don't know, I will certainly give Constellation a try and hope for the best though.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

Add me to the Dune/Children of Dune enjoyers, though I don’t remember the original as well as I do Children. I think the latter was the first time I saw James McAvoy in anything.

I do miss that era of Syfy annual Special Miniseries Event. The Lost Room gets a lot of love here but I have a big soft spot for Tin Man, goofy as it is. Taken also (the alien one, not the Liam Neeson one). I remember the Peter Pan one being decent too, but really don’t remember it. Was Childhood’s End their last miniseries?

Man I had no idea this many people even remembered the show, let alone loved it. Cool as hell.

Aces High posted:

Anyway, Dune miniseries was great, and Ian McNeice as Baron Harkonnen is forever and always the definitive interpretation of the character for me

Big same. Lynch’s version is trippy and has some cool visuals but Baron Harkonnnen was just gross and lacked anything that would make him seem truly dangerous player. I figured it was a deliberate choice but the Emperor Shaddam also felt a bit weak. Ian McNeice brought the goods. I’m still hoping the movie does the Emperor right as the Sardukar have been fantastic.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Idk what happened with that Monsieur Spade finale, but that might be the hardest faceplant I've ever seen, esp considering how good the show was up to that point. It's shockingly bad in a weird way, where it felt like the show itself broke character and walked off set.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

RBA Starblade posted:

The only water bending you see in the first three episodes is from a complete beginner who has no idea of what she is doing, it doesn’t really reflect the ability as a whole.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oasx posted:

The only water bending you see in the first three episodes is from a complete beginner who has no idea of what she is doing, it doesn’t really reflect the ability as a whole.

I got that, but maybe bring a club like the other guy in that case lol

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Some day Hollywood will learn how to write kids who aren't incredibly annoying, but they didn't manage it for Constellation. There is much too much focus on the main character's family, and I don't want to spend 8 hours waiting to see if the story will make sense.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Avatar is pretty good, apparently i don't care they trimmed some fat and change a few things, like Sokka not being a "girls can't do anything" teenage dickhead.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Someone was asking about adult cartoons a while back and I don't remember if they meant things like BoJack Horseman (tense and with serious mature themes that might actually be things kids can't even relate with yet), Archer (something that will entertain people more if they've completed their education), or South Park (irreverent and with violence/nudity/foul language that may not be appropriate for little ones).

If it's the latter, I binge watched Little Demon at one point and liked it. Somehow, Danny DeVito is not the highlight of the show. It's his daughter, literal and in-show, with the best voice acting and coolest lines.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The wife and I finished our watch of both seasons of Dr. Death. I remember seeing the ads for the first season in 2021 and dismissing it as a cheap way for Peacock to cash in on true crime and podcast stuff to have something to put on their service, but I wound up really liking it. It had some funny and creative parts, Christian Slater in particular was great and he and Alec Baldwin had great chemistry, it was well written, it had a lot of big drama moments.

But season 2 (which covers a completely different subject matter) really blew me away. There are far less scenes of surgery for those who are squeamish but just the description and focus on the impact of the doctor's completely unethical experimental surgeries (supposedly "biosynthetic" tracheas that are really just plastic that decay in their bodies and cause incredible pain and additional complications before inevitably killing the patient). The second season doesn't seem to be as well received as the first largely because of the structure (it follows two stories, one around a team of doctors in Sweden in 2012 who start to uncover his work and the other following his journalist fiancee in 2014 realizing he's a con artist who has scammed her) but I thought this let the show really dive into the twin aspects of his personality in a way that let each storyline have a strong focus.

In particular, the fifth episode of season 2 is one of the most brutal episodes of TV I've seen in years. It follows a 22 year old Turkish girl who he basically pressures into getting one of his tracheas after removing one of her lungs in what was supposed to be a simple exploratory surgery that he pushed her into getting, and follows her over 190 (!) additional surgeries as her body gradually collapses and you see her slowly lose every little bit of the will to live. I enjoyed the show but don't think it was necessarily "great," but that one episode was just so well done and so effective that if I had watched it in time for the TVIV poll I might have included it on my top ten just for that alone.

I'll also say that I thought season 2 had a pretty good child actor as the daughter of Mandy Moore's character. Anyway, that's my report on Dr. Death.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

RBA Starblade posted:

We thought Shogun was going to be on, it wasn't, so friends wanted to watch Avatar instead so we saw the first few episodes of that instead

I don't know if you've seen the cartoon, but it gets into just how terrifying water bending can get. I'm interested to see if the live action gets to it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Bit into Avatar, gonna finish it before posting too many thoughts but the diversity casting is noticeably cool. They did my boy Bumi dirty but the actor nails the performance of it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/foundation-david-s-goyer-steps-down-showrunner-season-3-1235834630/
Shake up at Foundation with Goyer out as showrunner reportedly due to Skydance tightening their belts on budgets.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I can't believe I'm watching the 100 and actually enjoying it. I feel like I should be watching the Halo show since apparently 2nd season is actually good or Perry Mason or something. I just hope the show goes batshit and some of the youth go native or something

...The sister episode I previously finished was kinda boring/felt like forced exposition though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The 100 is good and gets super weird with it later on.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The 100 is one of the best shows to come out of the CW.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GreenNight posted:

The 100 is one of the best shows to come out of the CW.

I’m not going to empty quote this because holy poo poo the show is amazing.

Clarke is legit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I watched the first episode of the Last Airbender. I've not seen the cartoon so maybe it was the same, but so far this certainly feels like one of those,"I know writers who use subtext, and they're all cowards" type of shows.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm up through episode 3 of Avatar now and the first episode was really rough. The exposition dies down a little after the first episode, and the actors learn how to emote and stop sounding like kids who got called on to read in class. There's some famous actors playing bit parts which is always fun to see, too. I chuckled at Dani Pudi as the mechanist dad in episode 3.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I came here looking for the A:TLA thread.

So far I really dig this show, adapted from a children's cartoon I happened to catch while babysitting my brother.

In all seriousness we're only 4/6 episodes but I'm loving it (I have watched the complete original). At first the CGI stuff was too noticeable, but episodes in now I don't understand why I had any complaints. They are hitting the aesthetics of the show perfectly, reminds me of kung fu hustle in that the things I would have scoffed at delighted me.

And the message and themes! They actually address that people are dying without going "blue" (if that can address gratuitous violence). One of the more ridiculous parts of the original show was that casualties were something you mostly heard about, despite a world war (and the responsibility of wielding force), being so prevelant. This helps define aang's guilt better than it was in the original show perhaps.

Honestly whatever cheesy TV magic is being wielded is a critical hit.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BRJurgis posted:

I came here looking for the A:TLA thread.

The General Kids thread in this subforum has a lot of chat as well.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Dessel posted:

I can't believe I'm watching the 100 and actually enjoying it. I feel like I should be watching the Halo show since apparently 2nd season is actually good or Perry Mason or something. I just hope the show goes batshit and some of the youth go native or something

...The sister episode I previously finished was kinda boring/felt like forced exposition though.

hell yeah The 100 is very good and fun and the body count gets crazy. lookin at you, Genghis Clarke :black101:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The 100 was something I would see mentions of, but never gave it a shot. I watched it randomly a year or so ago, and it's really good. It's kind of a stupid premise but it really goes places.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, The Hundo is pretty great, except for a few times when it's not (IMO Season Five is a real slog). Though even it wasn't functioning at the top of its game it was able to pull out some weird cool poo poo. Great sets and production design too.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I was the change I wanted to see in the forums: made an Avatar thread given how many times it's coming up here.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055095

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Just saw Family Guy is moving to Wednesday night. When was the last time an animated network show was on an actual weekday (not Friday) in prime time? The Simpsons I remember being on during the week until eventually settling with what would become Fox's animation block with King of the Hill.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

swickles posted:

Just saw Family Guy is moving to Wednesday night. When was the last time an animated network show was on an actual weekday (not Friday) in prime time? The Simpsons I remember being on during the week until eventually settling with what would become Fox's animation block with King of the Hill.

The Simpsons were on Thursdays for a spell, beating The Cosby Show in the ratings.

I want to say it's been 25-ish years since the last animation prime time fad, and it was dire ( either in quality or viewership).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

The 100 is good and gets super weird with it later on.

No the internet discourse is what got super weird. The show was fine but it made a lot of people online goes bugfuck insane.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

pentyne posted:

No the internet discourse is what got super weird. The show was fine but it made a lot of people online goes bugfuck insane.

Yeah, all the shipping discourse and a lot of bad faith arguments that arose as a consequence.

It's a shame that the show ended up being so affected by them, and went through a gunshy period as a consequence.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

pentyne posted:

If you don't think the transition from space Lord of the Flies to humanity pleading their case to a celestial god that had previously crysalized a civiliation of 40 foot giants isn't "super weird" or "bugfuck insane", I don't know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Some people were going bugfuck insane over the aleged "fridging" of a character. Another actor was also furious about being killed off and was really public about it.