Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Tekopo posted:

Got Doubt is our Product and it's a doozy of a game. The message in it is extremely strong, but the game is extremely playable as well, and I love the asymmetry. The Company is playing a really interesting deckbuilder efficiency puzzle, and the Movement a (moderately less) interesting tablau-builder/market row. Although I felt the message was similarly strong in This Guilty Land, I felt that the gameplay suffered because of it, but this wasn't true of Doubt is our Product. Also, the supplement that talks about the personal effect that smoking had on the designer Amabel Holland is really heartful, and spoke to me since my dad also was a smoker for decades and only just managed to beat cancer himself. Would recommend. I also got Kaiju Table Battles but haven't tried it yet.

How complicated is it? It sounds awesome, but I worry it might require both players to be pretty deep into the board game space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Playing Gaia Project for the first time this weekend. Watched an instructional video and playthrough, and read the rules. Recommendations for strategy briefs? Most of the BGG strat threads were statistical analyses of games about opening with 4 mines and TS vs. PI + Academy, broken down by race. Just looking for how not to embarrass myself too badly my first time.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Ore is really tight the whole game. Try to get the 4 power spots for ore and money when you get the chance. At the start of the game terraforming costs 3 ore per step, this is insane and you should never pay it. Use the terraforming actions for power or on the round booster instead. Try to build up econ for the first 3 rounds then focus on score for the last 3.

A good goal is to try to form 3 federations. This isn't always feasible but if you're not sure what to do next think about how you'd get another federation.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Carillon posted:

How complicated is it? It sounds awesome, but I worry it might require both players to be pretty deep into the board game space.
I must admit the rule book isn’t great but after understanding the game, I managed to teach it to my wife who isn’t really a huge board gamer, and she was playing the Movement. I think the Company is trickier to play though and requires some mechanism fluency to play though.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
What’s a good board game for someone who loves Blood Bowl but doesn’t like assembling and painting minis?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Buy an assortment of wood pieces (cubes, cylinders, etc) to represent players/positions. You only need 2 sets and then print out player cards with matching shapes for easy reference.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Thirteen Orphans posted:

What’s a good board game for someone who loves Blood Bowl but doesn’t like assembling and painting minis?

Money. Use it on eBay to buy a team somebody else already assembled and painted.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Bottom Liner posted:

Buy an assortment of wood pieces (cubes, cylinders, etc) to represent players/positions. You only need 2 sets and then print out player cards with matching shapes for easy reference.

I feel like a complete moron, thank you!

Quote-Unquote posted:

Money. Use it on eBay to buy a team somebody else already assembled and painted.

Also an option!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I did it with Inis and War of the Ring and I think it makes them both look way nicer.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Blood bowl team manager is great, but I don't know if it's actually available anywhere any more.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Also an option!

Or you could just play the much more superior game referenced by your username.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

I did it with Inis and War of the Ring and I think it makes them both look way nicer.

Can you recommend a good site to order some?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Can you recommend a good site to order some?

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/

I bought the WotR stuff from them at Gencon and their site has even more selection.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/

I bought the WotR stuff from them at Gencon and their site has even more selection.

I appreciate it!

silvergoose posted:

Or you could just play the much more superior game referenced by your username.

I could really use some more Riichi in my life.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Thirteen Orphans posted:

The 2016 Blood Bowl minis are push-fit in colored plastic, if that makes a difference. (I've never handled them in real life. That's just what I heard from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR9cunbntRY&t=188s)

Of course, nowadays there's Blood Bowl: Second Season Edition is a revision of that, and those models are apparently NOT push-fit according to some Reddit rando. So buyer beware and all that.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It's so wild how the company components just radiate evil in this game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah, the designer notes say that they made the pieces deliberately sterile and lifeless. It's quite haunting. Especially considering the victims are represented by profit chart icons.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Bottom Liner posted:

Also switched the army minis for wooden tokens. I have mine as discs as regulars, blocks as elite, and cubes as leaders. Kept the minis for any special characters.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, the designer notes say that they made the pieces deliberately sterile and lifeless. It's quite haunting. Especially considering the victims are represented by profit chart icons.

Yeah, they pulled it off well, I think. Incredibly sterile and evil, really - they did a great job. (Is there a 'pizza party' card though, somewhere in that deck? :D )

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

!Klams posted:

Blood bowl team manager is great, but I don't know if it's actually available anywhere any more.

It isn't. Blood Bowl is a Warhammer product and FFG no longer have Warhammer licensing rights.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

VoodooXT posted:

Also switched the army minis for wooden tokens. I have mine as discs as regulars, blocks as elite, and cubes as leaders. Kept the minis for any special characters.

I think I've posted this here before but this is the single best improvement to any game I've made. The sticker art was like 15bucks from a sticker designer on Etsy using a bgg community file, except for the expansion stuff which I had to design myself.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

That is very sexy. Someone should put all that in a bag and sell it to me at an inflated price because I am lazy.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I would pay someone to do that for me. Looks like parsing is about 200% easier.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
after 3 years it's here boys lets gooooo

Pryce
May 21, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

after 3 years it's here boys lets gooooo

Welcome to the world of “every game needs a binder from now on”! Life changing.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just had a nailbiter of On Mars...tied for first at 105, one of my lowest scores, but won the tiebreaker: one crystal to none.

Little rusty as it's been a few months since we had played, so it took longer than usual. Still, a dense game with a lot of gears and levers but not a ton of unnecessary chrome, where most decisions are devil's choices, forcing you to decide between short-term development or long-term positioning.

I usually spend little time off planet and do well. I usually grab a scientist early and use a LSS bonus to remove my worker from the scientist work spot, allowing me to return there. I generally don't invest heavily in tech or blueprints. I bolster my work force by welcoming workers, leeching off the tech to increase the contingent size, and occasionally jettison one of them out the airlock when I don't have space when I cycle off/on planet. (Or, for the squeamish, send them out for cigarettes right before the rocket launches.) Thoughh, this game, I thought I had lost it because I kept coming up one worker short of a mine and thus had no source of minerals.

I just wish there were four copies of the iconography book. I misunderstood my secret goal, but was able to achieve it nonetheless once it was revealed.

Are other Lacerdas so tightly wound? Not a moment to breathe in the game (I mean that in a positive sense).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Pryce posted:

Welcome to the world of “every game needs a binder from now on”! Life changing.

tbh using those for any game that takes cards, gloomhaven shop is in a binder, other games cut out 3x3 pages for equipment grids

card binder pages should be in everyones "standard bg accessories" kit, like a pack of regular card and mini card size

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

maybe if you’re crowdfundpilled and anhedonic unless the game takes up multiple kallax cells

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
and with that delivery, i have zero outstanding crowdfunding games :smuggo:

checkmate retailists

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

panko posted:

maybe if you’re crowdfundpilled and anhedonic unless the game takes up multiple kallax cells

true, put all this poo poo in one box, what the gently caress is this mess

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Just played Sol: Last Days of a Dying Star. Holy poo poo it's really good, plus what a beautiful design. It's elegant and what I really look for in a game. A few actions but it requires foresight and planning and it's emergent complexity. I can't wait to play it again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Admiralty Flag posted:

Are other Lacerdas so tightly wound? Not a moment to breathe in the game (I mean that in a positive sense).

Depends what you mean. In a game of Vinhos you have 12 actions total. In Escape Plan you can take a maximum of 12 actions, and a minimum of I think it's seven. There's certainly no room for durdling in either one.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jedit posted:

Depends what you mean. In a game of Vinhos you have 12 actions total. In Escape Plan you can take a maximum of 12 actions, and a minimum of I think it's seven. There's certainly no room for durdling in either one.

Thanks, that's what I was getting at.

I guess I'm sort of shopping for a new Lacerda to eventually try to introduce to the group. I've picked up that Kanban and variants is right out because it's come up in discussion about how highly rated they are, "Who wants to play work?" But this is a longer-term project; after pulling the trigger on 18Chesapeake earlier this week, I've got another shelf queen I've got to work on getting to the table first.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Admiralty Flag posted:

Thanks, that's what I was getting at.

I guess I'm sort of shopping for a new Lacerda to eventually try to introduce to the group. I've picked up that Kanban and variants is right out because it's come up in discussion about how highly rated they are, "Who wants to play work?" But this is a longer-term project; after pulling the trigger on 18Chesapeake earlier this week, I've got another shelf queen I've got to work on getting to the table first.

still Lisboa tbh

actually, the best "I want to play Lacerda but not play Lacerda" is the new* Rococo

and weather machine sucks

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Carillon posted:

Just played Sol: Last Days of a Dying Star. Holy poo poo it's really good, plus what a beautiful design. It's elegant and what I really look for in a game. A few actions but it requires foresight and planning and it's emergent complexity. I can't wait to play it again.

Yea we had our first game of this this weekend too, and were pleasantly surprised how snappy the turns were and how satisfying a game it was.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My kids are now 10, 8 and 6 and I think our family is entering a golden age of gaming. In the years BC (before children) Mrs. Canyoneer and I would play lots of great crunchy games, especially with our other childless friends. When the kids were tiny babies, nothing changed, we'd just stay up late and the kids would sleep. Then they got older and required more supervision and free time got scarce, so we switched to shorter games. Now those kids can mostly entertain themselves, play together nicely, and/or play along in those games.

My kids are really into the Rick Riordan book series of mythology-based kids fiction. So they are gobbling up everything Ancient Greece/Rome/Egyptian/Norse themed. Just got Paolo Mori's Caesar and they love it. It's a fun and quick little area control game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just came within two rolls of backgammoning my dad. He kept rolling 1-2 as I was taking pieces off, I've never seen a game get that close to the title. Hilariously stupid outlier. Not playing with the doubling cube, just casual fun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

canyoneer posted:

My kids are now 10, 8 and 6 and I think our family is entering a golden age of gaming. In the years BC (before children) Mrs. Canyoneer and I would play lots of great crunchy games, especially with our other childless friends. When the kids were tiny babies, nothing changed, we'd just stay up late and the kids would sleep. Then they got older and required more supervision and free time got scarce, so we switched to shorter games. Now those kids can mostly entertain themselves, play together nicely, and/or play along in those games.

Yeah Space Cadet is 8 in a few weeks and it's great. We've got a Pandemic Legacy campaign going as a family, I play Dominion pass-and-play with her a lot on buses and I'm so excited to see what else we can play. We tried Jaws of the Lion but she wasn't quite ready for it (despite being very keen).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
time for something new goons, post you're GOATed 3x3 and get roasted for board game taste: https://www.pubmeeple.com/top-nine

da gric
Still the top worker placement, from an era where worker placement was a cutthroat "i want everything and so does everyone else", instead of the modern "we can all share, here you just pay one extra resource for going after me". Still chasing that high, never seen a game simultaneously feeling like an endless struggle and also your tiny farmstead with four sheep and some grain is an immense achievement.

Too many bones
Chucking a fist of dice always pleases, the characters are way more interesting than like "strong hairy guy that hits things", and the rewards feel like a nice "oh poo poo this is something new" instead of the boring "I am now linerally more powerful". Sure, sometimes you get comically bad flops, but that feeling of pulling through to success is an unmatched high. Winning in Too many bones feels earned, not like "oh the designers wanted us to beat this scenario". Losing feels like "welp, missed a reward, but let's keep trudging forward to ~~the boss~~".

Secret game
Resilience of the human spirit in the face of incomprehensible circumstances.

Exit series
Played them all, hits consistently with "oh that was clever" sort of puzzles. Don't care if it follows "an escape room" narrative, but the (quite literal) outside-the-box solutions continue to impress. Legit difficult at points and feels like it respects the intelligence of the player.

Quacks
I will never tire of the shaky-fisted slow reveal as everyone watches in horror and awe as someone removes their hand from that bag. Also a good way to vet new groups, because you find out who is a humorless rear end who pouts about a cosmic conspiracy against them to force that final 3-pointer into their hand. The modern Galaxy Trucker filter system.

Flamme Rouge
Play card, move bike, drink beers, listen to Queen.

Voidfall
I hope I don't get screwed by recency bias, but it's probably the "fast and balanced" 4X. Enough variance to force you into a varied strategy each time, though not railroaded. Requires considering the wealth of options, but doesn't take plate spinning unless you want to bring it on yourself.

Sherlock
I have never been in the middle of a game, lying on the couch, staring at the ceiling for an hour going "but what does it all mean?"

Etherfields
Again following the whole "un-understandable" theme of mystery and wonder. No idea what you're about to experience, just a bit of situational exposition and you're dropped in the middle of a bizarre environment to work it out (often without knowing what you're supposed to do to get out). Sometimes it's humor, sometimes dread, sometimes despair, other times just an peculiar puzzle to solve. Might get supplanted by ISS Vanguard.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Ok Bunny Bunny Moose Moose is a bit of a stretch, but pretend I own Mage Knight.