Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cause Twitter sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Aw, good trailer. Lots of Beyond vibes? Bikes, a very Kraal looking alien, big puzzle. I’m here for it. :3:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

For whatever reason a new Disco S5 trailer came out the other day but neither official Trek account actually posted it on Twitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fi7ZePgh8k

I don’t give a gently caress what anyone says, I still really love the 32nd century ship designs and the post-refit Disco herself is looking pretty good in this trailer.

It could just be the lighting in that one shot, but it almost looks like they’ve lightened up her hull coloration a bit again. Looks way more traditionally gunmetal/battleship grey than before.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

turns out the REAL treasure.. was the friends we made along the way

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

turns out the REAL treasure.. was the friends we made along the way

Always was. :unsmith:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t give a gently caress what anyone says, I still really love the 32nd century ship designs and the post-refit Disco herself is looking pretty good in this trailer.

I think the Discovery exterior ship designs are probably among or the best in the franchisel. From the weird golden Mayan star dorito concept art they didn't use for the Kelvin, to the normal spinny inner wheel design, to the future detached nacelles version. They took the parts of Trek design that usually look like awkward Sunday school toothpick-and-marshmallow sculptures and made them look sleek instead.

However I recognize I'm in the extreme minority here of not liking the standard old frisbee & hotdogs designs.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm sad Discovery is ending, despite it being bad TV most of the time, because I think the cast is good (Doug Jones being the obvious standout). I also think the setting deserves more time, and I'm glad Tawny Newsome is presumably handling that with Academy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tig Notaro is probably my favourite engineer across all series, I wish she'd been a bit more prominent especially in season two where she turns up then vanishes for so long that I didn't realise that she was meant to be a main character.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I want live action Mariner and Boimler to show up at the end of a Disco ep as a comedy beat. No need to follow up on it, just leave it hanging. For double hilarity, have Michael be “…Beckett?”

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Nichael posted:

I'm sad Discovery is ending, despite it being bad TV most of the time, because I think the cast is good (Doug Jones being the obvious standout). I also think the setting deserves more time, and I'm glad Tawny Newsome is presumably handling that with Academy.

Honestly the setting is completely a lost cause but I do feel bad for the cast

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The_Doctor posted:

For double hilarity, have Michael be “…Beckett?”

You had me until here. Nope, not even as a joke.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Just keep playing on the mystery of how old Mariner is. :smugbert:

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
I hope the end of Discovery is TNG-era Data waking up and realizing the entire series was a dream he had.

Newhart the gently caress out of it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Accipiter posted:

I hope the end of Discovery is TNG-era Data waking up and realizing the entire series was a dream he had.

Newhart the gently caress out of it.
also Picard

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Disco is not even remotely in the same garbage tier as Picard.

Disco, at the very least, tried. Picard knew people would be suckered in just to watch Stewart and never even bothered past that point. Especially season 3.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I want live action Mariner and Boimler to show up at the end of a Disco ep as a comedy beat. No need to follow up on it, just leave it hanging. For double hilarity, have Michael be “…Beckett?”

I would definitely like to see Pike appear in LD and acknowledge Mariner, only for Captain Freeman to lose her poo poo and Mariner to respond "sorry, temporal prime directive, I can't tell you why I'm besties with the actual Captain Pike".

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I would definitely like to see Pike appear in LD and acknowledge Mariner, only for Captain Freeman to lose her poo poo and Mariner to respond "sorry, temporal prime directive, I can't tell you why I'm besties with the actual Captain Pike".

Pretty sure you can talk about things in the past, just not things in the future. The past is just history, it's the future that must remain a mystery.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's probably frowned upon at least, Mariner does refer to it as "that Pike thing we aren't supposed to talk about".

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Theoretically talking about having time travelled to the past also violates the temporal prime directive, since as much as you are not supposed to have gone back in the past and hosed with it you also are unlikely to have talked about going to and loving with the past in the original timeline in which you never did that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The cleanest way to do this would be Spock. (Pelia or Number One also make some sense. How the gently caress long does an Illyrian live?)

"It has been... a very long time... Lieutenant Mariner."

*entire bridge crew stares at her*

"...what... Spock says weird poo poo all the time... don't listen to him... anyway..."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I reckon it's pretty good odds we'll see Pelia in Disco 5, come to speak of it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

The cleanest way to do this would be Spock. (Pelia or Number One also make some sense. How the gently caress long does an Illyrian live?)

"...what... Spock says weird poo poo all the time... don't listen to him... anyway..."

I could see Spock saying hi to Boimler and T'Lyn thinking it's super hot that he knows someone like Spock.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Gaz-L posted:

(flat affect, with more than a little Vulcan :fuckoff: vibe) "Oh, Lieutenant Boimler. You're here as well. Hmm."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

The_Doctor posted:

Have the last scene in Disco be a live version of this scene from Lower Decks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGRlBNSezFc&t=64s

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

swickles posted:

Have the last scene in Disco be a live version of this scene from Lower Decks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGRlBNSezFc&t=64s

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Aww, Kenneth Mitchell passed away. :(

https://twitter.com/thetrekcentral/status/1761635820086104357

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Gaz-L posted:

Number One and Ransom would have great chemistry, I bet.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Apollodorus posted:

Number One and Ransom would have great chemistry, I bet.

Only if they have Rob Reiner doing a commentary track about “the fat kid” marrying Rebecca Romijn.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Continuing my Discovery rewatch before the final season comes up. I finished Season 2 yesterday and boy the absolute charisma of having Mount on board changed the series SO much. I enjoyed that they made the Klingons more like the ones we know, and the D7 showing up was a lot of fun (it's one of my absolute favorite Trek ships). Ethan Peck killed it as an early Spock (and continues to do so in SNW). Although there were some stumbles in this season, overall the story was a lot of fun. Not a fan of the section 31 super death ship bullshit (and the fact that in Trek ships seem to be within a kilometer of each other to fight instead of being 100s of kilometers apart shooting destructive energy beams that travel at near the speed of light), but the solution of making the Disco and it's crew having to travel 1000 years in the future does make a good reason why we never hear of the Disco in any of the other ST series. Returning to Telos IV was a super treat for an old fucker like me.

Starting season 3- I remember this season more than the earlier ones. It's a lot of ups and downs iirc.

So far I find that Discovery's handling of trauma to be refreshing compared to the old "brush it off in a week" of older Trek.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So far I find that Discovery's handling of trauma to be refreshing compared to the old "brush it off in a week" of older Trek.

B-b-but the characters cry too much and actually show their emotions without being weird sanitized Gene robots!

#notmystartrek

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I don’t know for sure, but I can see Disco getting re-evaluated and rehabilitated a bit in the coming years.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

HD DAD posted:

I don’t know for sure, but I can see Disco getting re-evaluated and rehabilitated a bit in the coming years.

This is true of not just Star Trek, but almost every single next gen IP ever made.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Star Trek has a habit of releasing something ever worse in the future, so that the older shows that used to be bad are now just considered mediocre.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Der Kyhe posted:

Star Trek has a habit of releasing something ever worse in the future, so that the older shows that used to be bad are now just considered mediocre.

True- Picard was just, well, bad.

At least LD and SNW are drat good. And I really am upset that Prodigy was axed. At least we will actually get the 2nd season of that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I do appreciate that Disco at least tried to do something.

They fail miserably at it every time, but I respect the attempt.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Did Disco make people look more fondly on Enterprise?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

A good poster posted:

Did Disco make people look more fondly on Enterprise?

Even before Disco there was a growing "Enterprise is actually good" movement. Even the staunchest defenders of it pretend the finale doesn't exist, though.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, I won’t pretend to have appreciation for Enterprise compared to my favorites but it was fine, passable even, I put it roughly on par with Voyager.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This sucks, he was great and they kept inventing roles to keep him around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ALS sucks

I'm glad they were at least able to give him a role that allowed him to still be part of the show even with his limitations