Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

isk posted:

This is as helpful as saying "just don't take damage! dummy!!"

If someone drops an Eagle near me, of course I try to get away. Same with lines of fire. If there's a wave of enemies, I set up at a good angle from teammates with some distance between us. All that stuff. However, there's only so much I can control, and there are absolutely mouthbreathers and griefers out there. It's how it goes in online games that have a large playerbase

There's only two places that people throw airstrikes: buildings/nests that need to be destroyed and inside large swarms of enemies. At least that's my experience even playing with randoms in matchmaking

If you're standing next to either one of those, you're in a bad position. Don't stand next to the buildings/spawners and don't let yourself get swarmed - you're in control of both of these things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Benagain posted:

If you say "danger close!" over the coms as you huck the orbital strike you're legally not liable for whatever happens next

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol. Reminds me of a mission the other day where I was calling a clusterbomb on a bug breech and trying to chuck the beacon over my teammates head and it got stuck on their head. Somehow they managed to not die either.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

desperately trying to finish level 6 difficulty and twice now it has crashed during extract with 1 mission to complete out of the 3 this is loving infuriating i have wasted like 2.5 hours straight

so yeah next team i join i aint doing poo poo during extract since both crashes were immediately after tossing a strategem during the countdown

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 25, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Sometimes blowing up a few helldivers means getting 10+ kills with chargers and titans in the mix. Sacrifices must be made.

And if you miss the titan you can just call in the most powerful weapon in the game to finish it off.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Had an incredible few missions with randos tonight, once we got comfortable after the first one we split into teams of two and cleaned house on an operation. Clears comma, good laughs, helping each other out with mechanics and poo poo and plenty of clutch moments and hug emotes. Haven't had such a good experience with PUGs in any game before.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

deep dish peat moss posted:

You don't get medals that they got for missions they've already completed. But if the first mission gives 4, the second gives 6 and the third gives 8 and you join on mission 3, you get 8 from that mission.

That depends on difficulty, you get more medals for higher difficulty missions.

If you had been up in difficulty it would have been 5,7,9 and so on.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Benagain posted:

If you say "danger close!" over the coms as you huck the orbital strike you're legally not liable for whatever happens next

It's like saying "fore" in golf. If you get hit it's your own fault, everyone knows that, your honor.

I think my biggest source of teamkills is undoubtedly the mortar sentry, but it's also pretty easy to misjudge the flight path of a bombing run at times.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My biggest source of team kills is firing the AC into someone's back when they walk in front of me lol

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So the EAT, the Recoil-Less Rifle, and the Spear are the player carried strategems that can penetrate Heavy Armor, and the Autocannon Sentry and Rocket Sentry can as well, which of the Orbital and EAGLE stratagems can do so as well?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Popli IX is now an Automaton defense planet and it has the same "This planet is actual, literal Hell" biome as Hellmire. You know, if you wanted to make fighting bots even more enjoyable.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

So the EAT, the Recoil-Less Rifle, and the Spear are the player carried strategems that can penetrate Heavy Armor, and the Autocannon Sentry and Rocket Sentry can as well, which of the Orbital and EAGLE stratagems can do so as well?

Railgun can as well, but the autocannon sentry cannot iirc.

The orbital laser and the railcannon do as well.

I'm willing to bet the 500kg does, but that's a guess.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

isk posted:

Gave HD2 an honest bash. Super happy they seem to have stabilized the serverside issues, proud of their Discord mods insta-banning bigots, and I like the transparency of their leads. I just... I can't with all the teamkills. I know it's the tone of the game, I know respawns are generous, etc. etc. It's merely not my thing

It can get a bit old. I, specifically, get tired of people being really careless with air strikes and the like. Like if we're all doing well and someone just decides to drop a one second timer bomb on our group (evacuation points seem to be big targets for this one), then runs away without even picking up the samples or whatnot it gets old, especially if they're the kind of selfish player that doesn't call in respawns.

There's been like a trend I've noticed where one player will constantly kill everyone else the entire match, then the instant someone gets annoyed with it and either crushes them with a hellpod or deliberately teamkills them outside of combat out of frustration they'll just rage out and quit. Usually the mission goes smoothly after that.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's only two places that people throw airstrikes: buildings/nests that need to be destroyed and inside large swarms of enemies. At least that's my experience even playing with randoms in matchmaking

If you're standing next to either one of those, you're in a bad position. Don't stand next to the buildings/spawners and don't let yourself get swarmed - you're in control of both of these things!

Buildings, yes. I avoid those! Swarms are contingent on the other folks pressing buttons enough to thin their portion of the herd. IME it's a common enough occurrence, then they panic and throw a beacon into a bad place (i.e. on a teammate). Or they're just chaotic and like blowing up whatever they can. This isn't to say it's everyone else's experience - it clearly is not! And that's alright. I'm glad a ton of folks are enjoying the core loop here

Anyway, I didn't post to solicit advice (even if it's well-intended). Sometimes people have different experiences in the same game without doing anything wrong. And there's a higher chance of that when a) the individual missions are semi-random and b) the playerbase is large and varied

isk fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 25, 2024

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Auto cannon sentries can definitely kill chargers through armor, they have more potent ammo than the man-portable ones.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

isk posted:

Buildings, yes. I avoid those! Swarms are contingent on the other folks pressing buttons enough to thin their portion of the herd. IME it's a common enough occurrence, then they panic and throw a beacon into a bad place (i.e. on a teammate). Or they're just chaotic and like blowing up whatever they can. This isn't to say it's everyone else's experience - it clearly is not! And that's alright. I'm glad a ton of folks are enjoying the core loop here

Anyway, I didn't post to solicit advice (even if it's well-intended). Sometimes people have different experiences in the same game without doing anything wrong

I know you're not soliciting advice so feel free to ignore this and play the game the way you want to play it (or don't play it), but what I mean is that if you're even in a position where you're counting on other people to thin the herd you're not positioning yourself well - this game is all about quick hit and run tactics, running away from things and breaking LoS, and just in general staying away from the enemies as much as possible. A swarm is an indication that you should not be where you are right now. The teams that try to fight the big swarms are the teams that fail, for more reasons than just friendly fire. You're guerilla operators, not supersoldiers. Just drop an orbital/eagle on them and run away.

I think that in and of itself is sort of a strike against the game because I'd love for straight up firefights to be more viable, and the higher difficulties get pretty restrictive on how you can play while still succeeding - but if you're regularly getting hit by friendly fire it's because you're not playing the game the way it "wants" to be played. And it doesn't do a good job of explaining that to the player, which is why a lot of matchmaking teams I join on mid-level difficulties end up suffering in a meat grinder and killing each other with friendly fire while I'm running around on my own doing objectives with minimal resistance.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 25, 2024

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Honestly it feels like the best thing to do, particularly on higher difficulties, is to split up. Not only does it let you cover more ground but it splits up the swarms and prevents the reinforcement cascade that inevitably ends in you being overrun. If someone triggers reinforcements, they just haul rear end, no problem.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Shadowlyger posted:

Honestly it feels like the best thing to do, particularly on higher difficulties, is to split up. Not only does it let you cover more ground but it splits up the swarms and prevents the reinforcement cascade that inevitably ends in you being overrun. If someone triggers reinforcements, they just haul rear end, no problem.

:yeah: it lends itself well to splitting into two two-person groups, both for the mentioned reason and because it allows you to cover twice as many objectives in the same amount of time. There aren't many objectives that are even particularly easier with four people there.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Legit Businessman posted:

The orbital laser and the railcannon do as well.

I'm willing to bet the 500kg does, but that's a guess.
The 500kg can one-shot even a titan if you land it right under it.The rocket airstrike as well can at least soften up a charger's armor, sometimes even killing it outright though it's inconsistent. Very effective against Automaton tanks though.

And yeah, like RoyalScion said the autocannon sentry actually does very well against armor, including titans. Heck, I even had it destroy a turret tower before. It's just that it's easily distracted by chaff so it tends to waste a lot of ammo.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 25, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

110s will rarely drop a charger. They leave it crippled though. Best thing to do if being chased is goad it into hitting a rock and drop the 110s on it, then blast the hell out of it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Honestly, I can't even recall the last time I was teamkilled that wasn't either me loving up or something that wasn't really anyone's fault (like someone getting knocked down while they were about to throw a strike or something)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly why I'm probably going to mostly stick with the 4-5 difficulty range, feels like the sweet spot of enabling horde clearing shenanigans while still having some challenging enemies so it's not a complete cakewalk

I could see that changing up depending on future additions to our arsenal(especially once vehicles and mechs get added) or if I find a group to more consistently play with

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Oh hit-and-run is how I've tried to play. The low ammo counts, stamina-based sprinting, and (aside from one exceptional item) lack of auto-regen/shields were obvious indicators. I also watched plenty of videos and read pages of posts (while filtering out the contradictory stuff) before hopping in. Even with all that, it frequently hasn't worked out for me with the folks I've encountered on any difficulty above Medium. Like, it's pretty hard to call Orbital/Eagle and run when teammates aren't doing the same, especially in the Kill ### Enemies missions that have tiny maps. LOS isn't viable when there's a separate cluster of enemies on the other side. etc. etc.

Like, I'm not new to games, my reflexes aren't shot, etc. I'm usually pretty good at cracking the puzzle of whatever new game I play. I've just had bad luck here. My friends are currently playing other games, and I think I broadly missed the boat on the players who are both chill and situationally aware

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I bought it and honestly thought I would refund it, but I had to see it for myself since a half a million people are playing at a time, and it's a good game. I really love the presentation and the missions are actually really good. It's too bad this game is so much better than the actual Starship Troopers game since I liked the 16 player squads, but that was about it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

GlyphGryph posted:

Honestly, I can't even recall the last time I was teamkilled that wasn't either me loving up or something that wasn't really anyone's fault (like someone getting knocked down while they were about to throw a strike or something)

Feels like every other game I've played today had some dipshit dropping stuff on the extract zone.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Legit Businessman posted:

AC sentry absolutely can. It'll shred a charger.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

the TKs that make me angey are people throwing eagles and orbitals on top of my sentries the second i call one down

it happens so often and i just don't understand what possesses people to airstrike the funny blue light with no enemies around it

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

game owns

https://i.imgur.com/Hf1RIZj.mp4

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly why I'm probably going to mostly stick with the 4-5 difficulty range, feels like the sweet spot of enabling horde clearing shenanigans while still having some challenging enemies so it's not a complete cakewalk

I could see that changing up depending on future additions to our arsenal(especially once vehicles and mechs get added) or if I find a group to more consistently play with

You'll be doing 7's before you know it (if for nothing else other than getting super science!).

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Basically every TK I've seen is someone loving up in a silly way on either end of the equation. Running into a danger zone after a stratagem is thrown, walking in front of someone who is actively shooting, misjudging throwing distance and landing an eagle bombing run on your team, etc.

turn off the TV posted:

the TKs that make me angey are people throwing eagles and orbitals on top of my sentries the second i call one down

it happens so often and i just don't understand what possesses people to airstrike the funny blue light with no enemies around it

Some people actively hate sentries. A few games I've played I've noticed people killing mine in clearly intentional ways.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

oh THAT'S what those are for

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

They probably decided ten second prior that it was a good spot to call in CAS. I do this every now and then and say soz in chat. Then again maybe the turret was too close if it's getting an air strike immediately.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

Basically every TK I've seen is someone loving up in a silly way on either end of the equation. Running into a danger zone after a stratagem is thrown, walking in front of someone who is actively shooting, misjudging throwing distance and landing an eagle bombing run on your team, etc.

Some people actively hate sentries. A few games I've played I've noticed people killing mine in clearly intentional ways.

Sentries are probably the most consistent source of TK's. I can see why some people are salty about them, especially if your placement is dogshit.

Never fight on the same plane as your turret (except for the mortar turret, who's rule is "don't fight in the same area as where the mortar is... Too late you've been blown up).

But yeah, if you're complaining about the quality of your teammates, and aren't dropping with goons, you've brought this on yourself.

I haven't seen any goon blow up a turret without good reason that gets explained in comms.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

turn off the TV posted:

I like when I throw down my orbital beacon to kill the enemies coming towards our position, then another guy throws his eagle out further and wipes them all out faster, so now both our strategems are on cooldown.

Then a charger hits us both in the back.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I like when I throw down my orbital beacon to kill the enemies coming towards our position, then another guy throws his eagle out further and wipes them all out faster, so now both our strategems are on cooldown.

Don't admire your airstrike, solider! Keep that head on a swivel!

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Nah, they have 3 more in the bag and can afford to throw them at every group of trash because then they can send their eagle back to rearm the 500kg or Bombing Run.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

magiccarpet posted:

Grenade launcher has lots of ammo and doesn't require a backpack
I've become extremely grenade launcher pilled lately. shreds groups and most armored enemies, does better damage to bile titans than most(still gotta use stratagems to effectively take them down, but it can finish them off after a rail strike or some orbital laser). Still wanna have people with railguns on the team to deal with chargers though.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

LazyMaybe posted:

I've become extremely grenade launcher pilled lately. shreds groups and most armored enemies, does better damage to bile titans than most(still gotta use stratagems to effectively take them down, but it can finish them off after a rail strike or some orbital laser). Still wanna have people with railguns on the team to deal with chargers though.

three grenades under a charger's belly should finish it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LazyMaybe posted:

It’s also great for closing bug tunnels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The main reason the gatling sentry teamkills so much is that it will happily keep shooting at nothing at all when it's done looking at one group of enemies and is sweeping toward the next, which makes a huge death cone unless you notice it happening and go prone in time. much like HD1 I think they're best placed on the other side of a solid rock where they have 200-300 degrees of vision but you have a safe area where you can trust it won't erase you from offscreen.