Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Twelve minutes in, got the "Don't be hungry and don't eat even if you are hungry line."

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Where are your LeBrons?

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1760972452262252552?t=60ENmgE-cuDWdF8kMWL_LA&s=19

True Detective: Night Country was a documentary.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Cithen posted:

True Detective: Night Country was a documentary.
It was a documentary of the time the actors said those lines

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So wait. what was the deal with the tongue. Ghosts? Time is a flat circle is about as much of a "callback" as I would expect.

Jodi Foster is a pleasure to watch. She's one of those all time greats, like Anthony Hopkins in season 1 of Westworld where you're just getting to watch the best be the best. Hell, most of the cast was killing it. The dialogue often was fantastic.
The story was... shrugs.

Season 1 is the best because it was lightening in a bottle. NP being a total tool who happened to have one very good idea/season in him is honestly about right. Of course the director was also insane and their toxic as gently caress pairing "worked."

Season 4 was written and directed by a very, very talented woman, who did a fantastic job. She's very talented, and i'll watch next season. Still, it wasn't as... lightening in a bottle.

The fact that NP will be pissed they get another season while making even more stupid money from it while doing nothing but be petty is honestly about as Hollywood as Hollywood can get. (Of course he moved to Austin because he's over California).

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Just finished watching,this season was better than season 3 but i still think the second season was best.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
This thread has taught me there is no limit to the phrase different strokes for different folks

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

yeah the main obstacle the TD brand faces is that everybody has a different idea on what made s1 good. it might be a handful of tropes, or only the chemistry of the duo leads, or maybe how it was always teetering at the edge of cosmic horror but never falling into genre. I, personally, think it was crab man! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg5yDzzOEps OR the bridge they travel on first. that bridge is just excellent.

but seriously folks, why can't the TD go in MY direction?

- parapolitics
- pyramids
- Parallax View, The
- poison
- maybe-magic-maybe-mundane trope https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MaybeMagicMaybeMundane
- almost but not quite cosmic horror
- lush landscapes
- ambiguity
- memorable well acted bit characters (how good were they in s1 seriously)
- ????
- Ballard, Burroughs, DEATH IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 23, 2024

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Made it through around 15 minutes of S02E01 of True Detective. Not bad for a first day viewing.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

yeah the main obstacle the TD brand faces is that everybody has a different idea on what made s1 good. it might be a handful of tropes, or only the chemistry of the duo leads, or maybe how it was always teetering at the edge of cosmic horror but never falling into genre. I, personally, think it was crab man! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg5yDzzOEps OR the bridge they travel on first. that bridge is just excellent.

but seriously folks, why can't the TD go in MY direction?

- parapolitics
- pyramids
- Parallax View, The
- poison
- maybe-magic-maybe-mundane trope https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MaybeMagicMaybeMundane
- almost but not quite cosmic horror
- lush landscapes
- ambiguity
- memorable well acted bit characters (how good were they in s1 seriously)
- ????
- Ballard, Burroughs, DEATH IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER

Give Michael S Judge a TV budget and lead writer seat and see what kind of stuff you get

It'd be better than anything Issa Lopez can do with the franchise that's for sure

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

rewatching season 1 and you really can’t take your eyes off the screen, it’s incredibly engrossing. the bit actors are very well done, Charlie Lang especially, the whole scene is more intriguing than the majority of the whole of this most recent season. I’ll keep watching that garbage though

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm ok with True Detective turning into a train wreck show you hate watch ala American Horror Story since they weren't doing anything much with the franchise anyway

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is the light winning, son?

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Whomever is the last True Detective, turn the lights off.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah that was total nonsense wasn't it. I normally just turn things off and move on immediately I can sense they are bad. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and soldiered on.

The final ep was actually laughable at points. I had this sort of expression for the last 20 mins. :bighow: :stonklol:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Oh for sure, but like was the drilling itself bad? My understanding from the explanation was that it was the fake pollution numbers that were bad. Would the ice drilling have been fine if they weren't also falsifying pollution numbers? Which is one of my larger issues with the story, it's much neater and makes more sense if the ice drilling itself was a problem.

The scientists were encouraging the mining company to pollute more. They wanted more toxic poo poo in the air and in the ground to make the drilling easier.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Who are the actual True Detectives in the series?

My list:
Rust
Marty (but only after green ears discovery)
Bezzerides
Velcoro
Woodrugh
Hays
Peter Prior

I don't think I see Danvers or Navarro as True Detectives as they seemed so disinterested in basic stuff like clues. Danvers may have been a True Detective once, but lost it. Even though Navarro pushed to pursue the case, she also seemed constantly distracted.

Cithen fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 24, 2024

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
gently caress you, man. you just broke the case

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
maybe we have been the True Detectives the whole time

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cithen posted:

Who are the actual True Detectives in the series?

My list:
Rust
Marty (but only after green ears discovery)
Bezzerides
Velcoro
Woodrugh
Hays
Peter Prior

I don't think I see Danvers or Navarro as True Detectives as they seemed so disinterested in basic stuff like clues. Danvers may have been a True Detective once, but lost it. Even though Navarro pushed to pursue the case, she also seemed constantly distracted.

Dixon. Drunk and didn't give a gently caress.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

Hell, not sure if it's a hot take post but I got a little weird deja vu from some of the complaints this season. I remember the Season 1 thread being a lot more mixed on the finale at the time with a lot of the same issues, even if a majority came out liking it in the end. People who wanted more explicit or fleshed-out cult stuff were pissed. People who liked the King in Yellow stuff were double pissed that it ended up mostly being set dressing. People were upset about creepy kid pictures, lego sets [insert creepy clue that caught their eye] that didn't get delivered on like they wanted. People who wanted the cult taken down in a more optimistic ending. People who wanted a more depressing ending and thought "the light is winning" speech quietly mumbled out in a dark parking lot was a horrible ending. :shrug:. Season 1 was cool. Never watched 2 or 3. Probably should at least watch 3, I just haven't because the timing hasn't worked out. Season 4 seemed okay, not nearly as bad as some of the detective series I've watched even if it missed a lot of marks. Probably not going to be very memorable. I think I liked "Hold the Dark" better for creepy Alaska poo poo, which isn't a great endorsement.

Something about a genre show getting a reputation for punching above its weight drawing a lot of people in who want different things from it.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 25, 2024

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
If it didn't have the first season to live up to, season three would be deeply beloved by way more people. It's so much less of a mess than season two, and Mahershala Ali puts on an absolute clinic. It's missing the magic of season one, no doubt about that, but it's a great run.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Hell, not sure if it's a hot take post but I got a little weird deja vu from some of the complaints this season. I remember the Season 1 thread being a lot more mixed on the finale at the time with a lot of the same issues, even if a majority came out liking it in the end. People who wanted more explicit or fleshed-out cult stuff were pissed. People who liked the King in Yellow stuff were double pissed that it ended up mostly being set dressing. People were upset about creepy kid pictures, lego sets [insert creepy clue that caught their eye] that didn't get delivered on like they wanted. People who wanted the cult taken down in a more optimistic ending. People who wanted a more depressing ending and thought "the light is winning" speech quietly mumbled out in a dark parking lot was a horrible ending. :shrug:. Season 1 was cool. Never watched 2 or 3. Probably should at least watch 3, I just haven't because the timing hasn't worked out. Season 4 seemed okay, not nearly as bad as some of the detective series I've watched even if it missed a lot of marks. Probably not going to be very memorable. I think I liked "Hold the Dark" better for creepy Alaska poo poo, which isn't a great endorsement.

Something about a genre show getting a reputation for punching above its weight drawing a lot of people in who want different things from it.

I don’t know how creepy cult stuff wasn’t more fleshed out. Episode 7 drops Franklin scandal style tunnels under pre schools and a video of the cult doing hosed up poo poo.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Toaster Beef posted:

If it didn't have the first season to live up to, season three would be deeply beloved by way more people. It's so much less of a mess than season two, and Mahershala Ali puts on an absolute clinic. It's missing the magic of season one, no doubt about that, but it's a great run.

:amen:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'm going to admit to the error of my ways.

Season 2 slaps.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Season 2 slaps.

it really does

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
While we're throwing out alternative True Detective itch scratchers I'll give a plug for Limetown which has a unbielevable lead, the Stanley Tucci in support and a delightfully creepy vibe. It was doomed to die on the brief yet disasterous "Facebook Watch" platform. The show is based on a podcast of the same name which was also excellent.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
god help you sons of bitches if this thread convinces me to watch season two again

it was awful, you lunatics

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's funny bad. But it's still very bad, yeah.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Toaster Beef posted:

I think it's really great! Never saw s2, but s3 got me back in and its quality is probably why I even watched s4 at all, different creative team aside. Not gonna bother with s5 unless the consensus is that it's great after the whole thing airs.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I think season 2 is a lot more self aware than people give it credit for.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Season 2 slaps.

correct

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The_Rob posted:

I think season 2 is a lot more self aware than people give it credit for.
Yeah some of the criticism is similar to criticizing Lynch films for having wooden acting. Like, that's the point hombres.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah some of the criticism is similar to criticizing Lynch films for having wooden acting. Like, that's the point hombres.

I said earlier in the thread I think season 2 is very close to lynch. Vaughn feels like a character straight out of a lynch movie.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Season 2 is legitimately :krad:. It just suffers from being not Season 1.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Cithen posted:

Season 2 is legitimately :krad:. It just suffers from being not Season 1.

Yeah I think it was always pretty good, but the tone was so different from season one it ended up being jarring.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It's really interesting how the tone shift causes most s1 fans to bounce off it hard. It just immediately tastes different that ppl spit it out. And fair enough too.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Season 2 has

. Extremely self destructive characters,they’re basically all unhinged lunatics.

.a feeling that anyone could die at any second (which happens alot)

.one really annoying moment where a main character really should have died but survived(but secretly i’m glad they survived because they were great)

.Vince vaughn just…loving saying bizarre poo poo constantly and everyone just being like “…?”

.An extremely good shootout

.The most miserable perfect ending where the “good guys” all get horribly murdered and the bad guys win

.a really annoying bar singer that gets far too much screentime

‘S good.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The singing witch in the divebar out of time kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I meant that the bar is displaced out of time. She sings in time