Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Are there any grinders with touch screens, I’m trying to get only appliances with touch screens. I know there’s all in one espresso makers with touch screens but I’m looking for a standalone grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

Are there any grinders with touch screens, I’m trying to get only appliances with touch screens. I know there’s all in one espresso makers with touch screens but I’m looking for a standalone grinder.
Maybe you can just duct tape an esp32 device with a touchscreen to a normal grinder? You might have to write your own iot malware though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

I’m trying to get only appliances with touch screens.

Honestly: why?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

So I’ll be better than 3olives.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this an extension of your costco thread posting?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Bagheera posted:

Small home espresso machine? I introduced my co-workers to Cuban coladas, and we got to talking about coffee. That got me thinking about a new espresso machine. My old one died last year, and I never replaced it.

A quick note: I'd rather not use a Moka pot. I have an induction stove, which would necessitate a steel adapter. And I just don't have the skill to make a good espresso in that.

Can you recommend something based on this criteria? These are in order of importance.

-$200 or less. I know this severely limits my options
-Compact size. We have rather large drip coffee maker. I need something relatively compact.
-Attached milk steamer. I think(?) the steamed milk from a steam frother tastes better than those handheld motorized whisks.
-Available in the US (where I am)

If you just want it for Cuban Coffee, we had this at work for just such a thing:
https://a.co/d/3EY1ekq

Its an electric Moka pot so you only need an outlet to run it, making it ideal for settings where stoves aren't around such as an office which would be great for you and your coworkers.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Does anyone here have an opinion on double vs single ovens that are slide-in (not wall ovens)? We have a very small house so wall ovens aren't really possible. I'm considering a dual oven but am wondering if the lower oven is going to be too much of a pain to get to or if I'll miss having the storage drawer of my single oven.

At the same time, a dual oven sounds pretty awesome for being able to cook at two temps and for not having to heat up a whole big oven every time I want to cook a pan of fries or something.

The kitchen remodel guy made a comment that the oven sizes can get a little cramped in a double vs single oven, but that only seems like a problem if you are cooking, like, a massive turkey or something.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I liked mine. And you can still cook a pretty massive turkey plus can be doing casseroles at a different temp in the other oven.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I know there's at least one model out there (Samsung maybe?) that has the ability to remove the divider between ovens and turn it into one big one again. I didn't end up getting the dual slide in, but thought that was kinda neat for the giant turkey dilemma.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sirotan posted:

I know there's at least one model out there (Samsung maybe?) that has the ability to remove the divider between ovens and turn it into one big one again. I didn't end up getting the dual slide in, but thought that was kinda neat for the giant turkey dilemma.
That's a pretty interesting idea

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mystes posted:

That's a pretty interesting idea

Looked it up and yeah it's Samsung, and they call the feature Flex Duo. Dunno if any other manufacturers offer that, I was looking at (and bought) a Samsung induction stove and that ended up just being out of my price range. The single oven plus toaster oven combo has served me pretty well in place of that I think.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Eureka mignon or higher in their product range.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

moana posted:

Does anyone here have an opinion on double vs single ovens that are slide-in (not wall ovens)? We have a very small house so wall ovens aren't really possible. I'm considering a dual oven but am wondering if the lower oven is going to be too much of a pain to get to or if I'll miss having the storage drawer of my single oven.

At the same time, a dual oven sounds pretty awesome for being able to cook at two temps and for not having to heat up a whole big oven every time I want to cook a pan of fries or something.

The kitchen remodel guy made a comment that the oven sizes can get a little cramped in a double vs single oven, but that only seems like a problem if you are cooking, like, a massive turkey or something.

We bought a house with a double oven about a year and a half ago and I hate it. A lot. I (used to) make a lot of large format stuff like big turkeys, big Dutch ovens full of braises, standing rib roasts, etc... That's pretty much the only con though. It just happens to be a huge con for me specifically.

If you don't make big stuff like that, and want to enjoy running a sheet tray at one temp, and a normal size thing at another, then it may be a good choice for you.

Edit: The one specific use case that I used to do all the time that I simply can't now, is two half depth hotel pans. I could fit two in a normal oven, but now only one in the bottom oven of my double, and the top is too small to fit even one.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm happy you found that you like this and more power to you, but for the love of goon please don't respond to any marketing surveys about kitchen appliances, I don't want these companies thinking we're all touch screen sickos.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

what in the hell is wrong with buttons

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

When you touch a touch screen it is flat and doesn’t move when you touch a button it moves which fills me with uncertainty and dread.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

a button moving fills me with certainty! because it moved and i hear a click! that means i did it right! as opposed to a touch screen where theres no confirmation that i hit the right space of the screen, because my finger is not a stylus and its possible for the part of my finger that actually makes contact with the screen, to make contact with the part of the screen i dont want to press

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

I'm happy you found that you like this and more power to you, but for the love of goon please don't respond to any marketing surveys about kitchen appliances, I don't want these companies thinking we're all touch screen sickos.

Wait until the car you drive is all touch screens!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Buttons can be hard to clean, I guess?

I've had a double oven for a decade and I'm going to miss the hell out if it when we move. They're great, but it's also raised up of the floor so you can see into it, I might hate it more if it was at floor level.

Never had an issue with stuff not fitting, but I also don't cook huge meats.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

moana posted:

Sirotan posted:

Looked it up and yeah it's Samsung, and they call the feature Flex Duo. Dunno if any other manufacturers offer that, I was looking at (and bought) a Samsung induction stove and that ended up just being out of my price range. The single oven plus toaster oven combo has served me pretty well in place of that I think.

I've been using a Flex Duo for 6 years or so and been pretty happy with it. I bought it for the same reasons - the flexibility of a double oven plus the capacity of a larger single oven, and quicker preheating of a smaller oven. It works fine, but I rarely find myself using the feature. I just don't have the "two temps at one time" scenario come up as often as I thought I would - your use case may be different. For me personally, I might not bother looking for that feature in my next oven.

It has 2 slight drawbacks/limitations that I can think of. First, in single oven mode you can select temps between 175 and 550. In dual oven mode, it reduces that range for each oven. I'm too lazy to check the real numbers, but it might only allow something like 200 - 500 for each oven in dual mode. Rarely a huge issue.

Second, the upper oven is a little smaller and heats up the fastest, but you have to be careful. I've put things like frozen pizzas into the upper oven the second it says it's preheated, and the temp drops enough that the heat kicks on to compensate. With the upper oven, it obviously uses the upper element, and it's at most a few inches from the food. So you can end up with an overcooked/burnt top on whatever you're cooking. If you let it preheat a little longer this issue goes away, but that kinda defeats the purpose of the quicker preheat. It's not a dealbreaker, but just something to be aware of.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Our current rental has a double oven (full-size built-in, non-convection), and I also have a mini convection toaster oven. Most of the time that I'm bringing the lower oven into play, it's for something that's just a bit too big for the toaster oven, which can't quite fit a quarter sheet pan.

When we buy a house, my vote for the appliance budget will be one full-size oven and a larger toaster oven, both with convection.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Discussion Quorum posted:

Our current rental has a double oven (full-size built-in, non-convection), and I also have a mini convection toaster oven. Most of the time that I'm bringing the lower oven into play, it's for something that's just a bit too big for the toaster oven, which can't quite fit a quarter sheet pan.

When we buy a house, my vote for the appliance budget will be one full-size oven and a larger toaster oven, both with convection.

Breville Smart Oven, being the best toaster oven (with convection!) ever made, accommodates a quarter sheet pan and is used in my household for 90% of oven duties.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

On the tangent of toaster ovens: There's not much variance to regular toasters, right? Not really gonna get much out of replacing a 20$ toaster with a 50$ one?

Seems annoying how common it seems that designs have a grove between the top bits and the frame. I assume its basically sticking a frame on more or less the same guts, but with my current one crumbs just love to get trapped in there.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pretty sure that's to keep the hot bit away from the room temperature bit

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Looking up vintage toasters is terrifying

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7182821444185869573

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7147320361246264619

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7203539958563458346

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7201994095995374894

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Technology Connections did some interesting videos on old toasters, but like, not that old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OfxlSG6q5Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLk1cjZ4ll0

e: The gist is it's a toaster that uses a bimetallic strip to read heat coming back off the toast to determine doneness, it seems to be very effective at getting your toast to the level you want with more consistency. Kind of surprised there hasn't been any companies to "respond" to this, but I suppose it's still incredibly niche. It looks like there is a guy who refurbishes these things, but it's not cheap.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 27, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Took 40 years for these Friggin geniuses to figure out a way to toast both sides at once smh

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Can anyone recommend a set of cheap serrated "steak" knives with solid plastic/resin handles that are vaguely dishwasher safe? I have a set of actual steak knives that I handwash, but I want a set of serrated knives in my cutlery drawer for utility tasks (cutting a slice or two of bread, cutting cooked chicken off the bone before reheating, etc...). I have a set of generic steak knives that I've been using for this purpose for over a decade, and while there is some surface spots of discoloration, they never actually rusted (except for under the handles by the rivets, which has started cracking the plastic handles). While yes I've been misusing these knives for a long time, they've done their job admirably.

I got another set from the grocery store and frankly they suck rear end--immediate rust spot development on the blades, plus they're light and unbalanced.

Anyone got any recs for my extremely stupid need? Or maybe it's not that dumb--it's the serrated equivalent of the dollar store pairing knives I use for opening plastic wrap or dicing a single overlooked vegetable after I've washed my knife

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I've had a Victorinox set for years that I like well enough, but I'm not sure how much they cost now. I run them through the dishwasher a lot and they're still going strong.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Ditto on the victorinox. $30-40 for a set of 6.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Midniter posted:

Breville Smart Oven, being the best toaster oven (with convection!) ever made, accommodates a quarter sheet pan and is used in my household for 90% of oven duties.

Similarly with the Anova Precision Oven, which is genuinely much more useful with the app in ways I did not expect!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Does anybody have a favorite pastry brush (the kind you use to brush egg or milk or whatever over the top of a bread, cake, or pastry)?

Anything you buy from Amazon will be pants, of course. But my lifetime findings:

Actual bristle brushes drop bristles on the pastry.
German-style braided goosefeathers are the devil to clean.
Let us not speak of silicone brushes and their utter, utter uselessness.

So what do you use?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my experience is that natural brushes work fine for 2 years then start dropping, so just a sequence of mega-cheapo $3 natural hair brushes

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 28, 2024

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I've been using two "expensive" (~$6) paint brushes from Home Depot for going on 10 years, and I don't think either of them have dropped a single bristle.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I use the Winco boar bristle pastry brushes. They're like US$3 a pop and I've never noticed any problems with them shedding.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thank you all!

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Let us not speak of silicone brushes and their utter, utter uselessness.

I gotta speak about it to ask... Why? I've been using one to brush sauce on ribs and egg wash on challah for years and it's been just fine.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Bristle brushes will suck it up and help get liquid from mixing bowl to thing-being-brushed. Silicone brushes just poke it around, and not very well. I still prefer a silicone brush, though, because it doesn’t waste as much liquid and it feels like you can actually get it clean.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

I gotta speak about it to ask... Why? I've been using one to brush sauce on ribs and egg wash on challah for years and it's been just fine.

i think they're fine but it definitely feels like you need to go back to the well like twice as much as you'd do for other brushes. idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do the Oxo ones suck too