Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Hazo posted:

Cmon man you can’t just drop this into a thread and not elaborate. If you can’t share these kind of things online then at least shoot me a PM because I’m the kind of person who spends a good part of his time at Disney World fascinated by the sheer logistics involved and I’d love to hear more.

I haven't been to Disney World in almost 20 years (met a goon CM who was truly awesome) and Disneyland in nearly 15. I'm just a person who told the career counselor in school that I wanted to work in amusement parks, so I've sponged just about any information I can from talking to CMs, ex-CMs, etc. Aside from having a truly absurd amount of media or Disney Look guides from various decades, or maybe an operators guide or two for various attractions (though I think those didn't survive a move), I'm not special in any way.

The time I had an interview there I had to sort of remind myself of stuff I know they want to hear ("hey look I know these company values you drill into everyone's heads") without revealing any weird obsessive stuff ("so I already know there's a Subway shop under Fantasyland in Magic Kingdom.")

But aside from hearing the occasional disgust about a union contract or whatever, I don't get that much inside info that some other goons here wouldn't. My dream to work there is ironically dead because the last time I had enough windfall to move myself to live near the parks I spent it on being a tourist instead. My most recent attempt fell short due to inflation. I still occasionally think about selling my most expensive toys to afford to move into someone's spare bedroom, but from what I've heard you can eventually support yourself that way but not as a newcomer, hours are hard enough to come by that you pretty much gotta be supported by someone else in the area, unless you can work multiple jobs with other employers who are willing to let Disney take first priority for your time and accept whatever time you have after.

EDIT: I would give the worst Disney tours. "So as the Disneyland parade starts up Main Street, look through those gates that opened and beyond the floats and you'll see the Old Administration Building. That's where Disneyland's business was operated from until 1995 or so. Walt Disney didn't want to build that structure originally, and Disneyland's business used to be handled in an old farmer house where Toontown is now, but they needed a space to put the Primeval World diorama and so he approved it for that reason. There's boarded up windows at the ground floor, because in the 60s and 70s they used to give cast members their costumes at walk-up booths there. Nowadays, costuming is around the corner, and hello mr Security Officer why do I have the pleasure?"

Now that I think about it, I think Jim Hill used to get in trouble for doing exactly that kind of poo poo.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CapnAndy posted:

I dunno if it's a legend or true fact, but I read that Walt Disney counted how many steps he took while walking to eat a hot dog, and then decreed that there should always be a trash can within that many steps of every guest, no matter where they were.
The version of it I heard is he went to some state fairs and counted the number of steps people took looking for a bin before dropping their trash.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Gonna find out what a bananas Foster beniets is all about at scat cat in a bit

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I dunno if it's a legend or true fact, but I read that Walt Disney counted how many steps he took while walking to eat a hot dog, and then decreed that there should always be a trash can within that many steps of every guest, no matter where they were.

I’m going to have to check this out at Tokyo Disney, as Japan is a country where eating and walking is socially frowned upon.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Beignets rule

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

EDIT: I would give the worst Disney tours. "So as the Disneyland parade starts up Main Street, look through those gates that opened and beyond the floats and you'll see the Old Administration Building. That's where Disneyland's business was operated from until 1995 or so. Walt Disney didn't want to build that structure originally, and Disneyland's business used to be handled in an old farmer house where Toontown is now, but they needed a space to put the Primeval World diorama and so he approved it for that reason. There's boarded up windows at the ground floor, because in the 60s and 70s they used to give cast members their costumes at walk-up booths there. Nowadays, costuming is around the corner, and hello mr Security Officer why do I have the pleasure?"

Now that I think about it, I think Jim Hill used to get in trouble for doing exactly that kind of poo poo.

and uh, how much is this extra magic experience and how far in advanced is the booking window open, because-

also am I allowed to talk ceaselessly too because I would. forever. (I already do)

Upsidads posted:

Beignets rule

I've yet to have a good one, but the idea of them is certainly solid. Per a New Orleans friend, Riverside's suck. I'm hoping they do better with Tiana's.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Next time you’re there, here’s a fun game — look at the placement of seating, trash cans, and rest rooms. Note the distance between them. Someone calculated where to put them.

Yeah I know they apocryphal story of Walt and the trash cans. I meant more of how can you identify the management squad or the plainclothes security so easily.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Honestly I never heard that story. Just something I noticed and thought about while spending a lot of hours chilling in Epcot. Also because I’m a huge geek.

Edit: actually now that I think about it, it started when I was at the parks with a family member who had issues that made “where is the nearest restroom?” a non-trivial question.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 24, 2024

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Arquinsiel posted:

The version of it I heard is he went to some state fairs and counted the number of steps people took looking for a bin before dropping their trash.

It's 30 steps. That's the lore. It's also why gum isn't sold on Disney property. Because people stick their chewed gum under benches and Walt strongly disliked that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The gum thing is a solid call TBH. I remember school, poo poo was nasty.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

couldcareless posted:

Note to self, call guest services over and over asking "do you have stairs in your house?"

Luckily I think it’s the telecom building call center and not the DRC “abandon all hope ye who enter this place” call center.

I had a few friends from there join us at DSS. It didnt destroy the soul like the DRC does.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'll post a full trip report later, but Princess Run was fun and cool. We are about to be up for our third straight 2 am est wake up time.

Also! Help me settle a debate. First, that Parks character Ivana Dream is a real character. However, what is she from? I have guesses, but I'm hoping you guys can fill in blanks

Doronin fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 25, 2024

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Doesn't she only come out at races? I don't think she's "from" anything, kind of like Devine, she's just a personality to meet. I could be wrong though.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Saw the new Luminous nighttime show at Epcot. It's so incredibly much better than Harmonious.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Hazo posted:

Yeah I know they apocryphal story of Walt and the trash cans. I meant more of how can you identify the management squad or the plainclothes security so easily.

Managers will almost always have a pair of pickers/grabbers for trash, and are usually in some form of business formal outfit (Sometimes they even have polos that say *Insert Park Here* Operations Management, or rain jackets with the park name and logo)

Plain clothes security will be wearing like, the most stereotypical touristy attire, and have a Bluetooth headset in one ear. They typically walk in a set path of the area they are watching over, so I often refer to them as the NPCs of Disney World.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

effervescible posted:

Saw the new Luminous nighttime show at Epcot. It's so incredibly much better than Harmonious.

It's a huge improvement. I've seen it three times and it grew on me each time. Meanwhile, I sat through Harmonious twice and was bored with it halfway into my first viewing.

I adored IlumiNations: Reflections of Earth and was there on its final performance. While I would love to just have a modern version of that style of show and no IP, Luminous uses its IP tastefully and in a way that is appropriate for Epcot. They found a nice balance between those that want the Epcot night shows to be more meaningful like RoE and those who want IP.

Harmonious at best was impressive technically, but a boring slog to watch because it was constantly doing everything at the same time, and it played its hand early of everything the show would do. Luminous appropriately slowly reveals things that the show does to you and correctly drives your attention from one element to the next rather than having them all go off continuously. Most importantly it just felt like Disney marketing its greatest hit songs and not appropriate for Epcot.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was trying to think of some things you might observe theme park employees doing to pay attention to that someone who has never worked in the parks might not know. So here's one:

If you ever walk up to an attraction entrance and, not only is it down, but there are a lot of operations employees from that attraction and maybe a leader or two standing around the entrance (like more than 3 or 4), this means that it has been down for a while and the queue is probably empty. If you don't care much if you ride that attraction or not, keep walking. But, if it's something you must ride, it IS worth it to stick around a little bit and observe. You could ask the employees about it, but they will likely not tell you much if they have an idea of when the attraction could re-open or if its soon. But, if you can see ride vehicles start to cycle, that is often a good sign that it could re-open soon. If you suddenly see most of the employees called back inside, that's a strong indicator, though still not a guarantee, that the attraction will re-open soon.

If it does re-open, it makes waiting around a little bit worth it because the queue was probably empty and you'll walk right to the loading station.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Harmonious felt like such a missed opportunity. If you're gonna do a global theme and do a gimmick where you light up different pavilions, just, like... play Disney medleys and have the language change on the fly from nation to nation as you light each one up. Which you can do, you dub 'em all anyway, I've seen the YouTube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VqbiF3EBvA

Run this, just switching from English to French to Chinese to... actually a lot of the nations speak English, that's not ideal, so Spanish then... and then at the end you light up everywhere at once and do it with no lyrics at all or a chorus going "aaahh-ah" or some poo poo, there, I fixed your bad show.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Hazo posted:

Managers dress nicer than most people at a theme park. There can be a few on Wednesdays with a bunch of nervous people trying to dress nice as part of the weekly "Step Into The Magic" orientation where they take new hires into the park (remember a decent number of people who work at these places have never been as a visitor and are seeing it for the first time, so giving them a field trip style visit lets them take it in and see what the "ideal" is supposed to be like.)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Managers dress nicer than most people at a theme park. There can be a few on Wednesdays with a bunch of nervous people trying to dress nice as part of the weekly "Step Into The Magic" orientation where they take new hires into the park (remember a decent number of people who work at these places have never been as a visitor and are seeing it for the first time, so giving them a field trip style visit lets them take it in and see what the "ideal" is supposed to be like.)

at this point if I see management that's just walking at a normal pace, not the "poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo" fast walk, I'll say hi and tell them how great everything is. All of them seem to be happy that someone actually said something good instead of complaining.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

This is the kind of stuff I’m after. Thanks guys :)

CapnAndy posted:

Harmonious felt like such a missed opportunity. If you're gonna do a global theme and do a gimmick where you light up different pavilions, just, like... play Disney medleys and have the language change on the fly from nation to nation as you light each one up. Which you can do, you dub 'em all anyway, I've seen the YouTube videos.

Run this, just switching from English to French to Chinese to... actually a lot of the nations speak English, that's not ideal, so Spanish then... and then at the end you light up everywhere at once and do it with no lyrics at all or a chorus going "aaahh-ah" or some poo poo, there, I fixed your bad show.

This is exactly what they did in Harmonious though?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Plain clothes security will be wearing like, the most stereotypical touristy attire, and have a Bluetooth headset in one ear. They typically walk in a set path of the area they are watching over, so I often refer to them as the NPCs of Disney World.

I went to Disneyworld with an ex-FBI agent one time and he could pick out the plain clothes security people easily. Once you get a knack for what they look like, it's a fun game. Though I'm sure I've had a lot of false positives and negatives.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BlueBayou posted:

I went to Disneyworld with an ex-FBI agent one time and he could pick out the plain clothes security people easily. Once you get a knack for what they look like, it's a fun game. Though I'm sure I've had a lot of false positives and negatives.

Burt Macklin, FBI has many talents.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Braksgirl posted:

Doesn't she only come out at races? I don't think she's "from" anything, kind of like Devine, she's just a personality to meet. I could be wrong though.

I remember I saw her on a promo video for something, I just don't remember what it was for. I recognized her instantly, but I have struggled to figure out why. Google has nothing. I swear I'll figure it out.

That said, a first-timer for RunDisney trip report!

RunDisney Princess Half Marathon Weekend, Feb. 22-25

Why we registered: My wife and I were signed up for the RunDisney Star Wars Dark Side run in 2017 and found out we were pregnant about 8 weeks beforehand. So we had to cancel and have been hoping to revisit the idea. On a whim, she saw the Princess Half registration was opening and signed us up for the 5k and 10k.

OVERALL: We had an amazing time and if we had the budget we would definitely sign up for Wine and Dine in the fall. The theme of this trip though was how hard it was to find information, but it wasn't so bad that it would deter us from RunDisney (clearly). As a matter of fact, my wife got swept (removed from the course) for falling behind at the 10k and she's super motivated to come back and finish. The experience was super fun and had great energy, and there is something wildly infectious about jogging alongside several thousand people in full cosplay or Disney-bounding. I (thought I) loving hate running, by the way, and hadn't done cardio since October, so I do not say this lightly: We'll be back!

Lodging: We booked a studio at Saratoga Springs with our DVC points. It was perfect for a three night stay and it was one of recently refurbished rooms. The entire resort is in great shape and so well maintained. We hadn't stayed there since before the pandemic, so it was great to be back. All the resorts had a bus transport straight to the starting area at Epcot that began running at 3 AM. The first morning though, we couldn't seem to figure out where the bus would be picking up, nor was anyone sure where it would be. So we ended up calling an Uber the first morning (approx. $9 from Saratoga -> Epcot at 3:20 am). The next morning, we figured out where the bus would be and hopped on board and it was smooth and seamless. I did really appreciate that Saratoga roped off one of their hot tubs at the main pool and had a table set up as a "VIP Runner's Lounge" with foam rollers, snacks and water that we could just help ourselves to. The hot tub was so clutch after the 10k, too.

RunDisney, overall: I've got a few specifics I'll get into, and again, as someone who isn't a runner and hates doing cardio, the total experience wildly exceeded every expectation and I never felt at odds with the registration fees we paid. You really do get quite a bit for your money by participating, and it's fun.

RunDisney website: The website is the second-most negative experience my wife had on this trip (the pacers, aka 'balloon ladies' were her worst). The site is not intuitive and very hard to find basic info. Want to know about the pacing? Where the resort buses pick up and drop off? Anything? Good luck, and hope you saved your emails! Anything I actually needed to know, I had to pull my Gmail app and dig for the email with the right links to get to the specific info I need. If it had only been once or twice, that would've been one thing, but we were retrieving emails and bookmarking different links repeatedly as we realized we needed them.

Wide World of Sports, Fitness Expo: This ended up being one of my favorite parts. The expo was great, and the vendors had so many awesome deals up for grabs. I picked up tons of stuff I had been needing for a while, registered to win some stuff (we won $35 of Disney gift cards!), and took advantage of KT Tape's free taping. I had them tape my lower back, and it ended up being a lifesaver for the 10k.

Race Start/Finish: First, if you haven't shown up to the starting corrals and joined your group by about 3:45 am, or even if you did but you're in Group E (the last group), you might be screwed. On the first morning for the 5k, we arrived at 3:35, joined our group C and all was well. Although I totally did not expect the staggered start to take so long. The first runners were turned loose at 4:45 am, and it was 5:30 before we got to go. We waited longer to begin the run than the run actually took in that case. The next day for the 10k we were assigned to Group E. We got to the staging area at the same exact time, took a moment to get a meet-and-greet pic with Tianna and Naveen and joined our group. We thought we were pretty far in the front of the group and there was a lot of people behind us. Except a couple of minutes before they began moving our group into the starting chute, we looked back and nobody was behind us. Somehow everyone in the very back flanked around the front (no clue when/how) and we began in the very last group to go. This made us both super anxious, because we went, which meant the pacers were next and left us no room for error or left us any opportunity to stop to meet characters.

The biggest problem I had in this area were the bathrooms. There were more than enough, but once you're in your group to get going you better not need to go again. Both days, we waited so long to start that all the hydration caught up to me and my teeth were aching from needing to pee so bad. During the 5k, I was able to make my way to a porta-potty right off the course and get back. But for the 10k, it was after Mile 2 before I gave up and just pissed in the woods behind the portapotties that had over a 20 minute wait. So plan accordingly.

Aside from that, the meet-and-greets at the race start were cool, and I mostly enjoyed the DJ and the emcees working the crowd. They did a good job of keeping the energy up, and I appreciated that they had a check-in area to store items you didn't need for the race. When we completed races, they had a box of snacks and all the bananas, water and Powerade you could want. The food in the box was a collection of things I don't eat after a strenuous workout (tositos, cheese dip, nutrigrain bar, skittles and Motts fruit snacks), but I downed them a few hours later. I mean, it's free food at Disney which is something you rarely get to experience.

I'll go ahead and explain the problem with the pacers now. First, my wife was having horrible calf cramping issues, so we agreed that I'd just run ahead and we'd work on her catching up. If she got swept, welp, she got swept. She barely got a mile in before the pacers caught her. Had we been in Group D or earlier, she very easily could have least made it to Mile 2, walking. Anyway, the pacers (aka - 'balloon ladies') were ruthless and mean as poo poo to my wife and everyone else they dismissed from the race. Very curt and insensitive, including being nasty to a pregnant woman. It was just uncalled for, but on the other hand, I imagine they get a lot of poo poo anytime they yank someone who paid $150 to run 6 miles. If someone is being a real rear end in a top hat, then sure, let'em have it, but being that mean to everyone? Dial it back a bit. But once my wife was returned to the 'Reunion Area,' she learned that she had no option to go back to the resort because the buses weren't there yet. I thought that was weird since a couple hundred people didn't make it far past Mile 1.

Overall, we were mostly happy with the Start/Finish area, but for the more serious runs, be very mindful to show up early, have a great warm-up strategy and account for a long wait to get going. I was nearly completely cold again before we began the races.

The Little Mermaid 5k: This race went entirely through Epcot and was very fun. Although I wish I had known going in that it was totally untimed and the pacers weren't pulling anyone off. Having no clue I was not in danger of being pulled, I hauled rear end through most of it without stopping to just take in the sights and enjoy it with my wife (whose calf was just as bad on the first day). She walked the entire thing without worry, but in my paranoia over being swept, we missed out on some cool meet-and-greets, especially Goofy in his Mardi Gras costume. I never know Goofy had that outfit, so I was a little bummed we didn't get a picture. But I loved all the bands and other characters along the course. Although I jogged 90% of the course, it was the worst 5k time I've ever had because it was so congested from start to finish. It took me 45 minutes to complete a distance I rarely finish in more than 32-35. When we do it again, I am only going to run a little and walk the majority and just have fun with that one. I also saw a lot of folks get tripped by other runners who just didn't understand basic race etiquette. The highlight of the experience was simply taking in Epcot before sunrise.

Rapunzel 10k: I completed this race, and was extremely proud of my time. I trained for a 5k back in the summer, but just stopped before our cruise on the Fantasy in October and never got back to training, or doing any cardio at all. I joked with co-workers asking about my lack of run training, "well if there's a deadlift or squat competition in the middle, I'll win." Regardless, I maintained a 12:29 pace, which I was super happy with since I weighed in at 239 a week earlier, and haven't done poo poo to prepare. This course went through a portion of Hollywood Studios, then Swan and Dolphin, Boardwalk, then Epcot. VERY good course, but since it was so much longer, the sun was rising right as I got to ToT. Tons of cool character meet and greets. I am actually super excited to do another Disney 10k next year.

Some Stray Thoughts...
-- I totally get why people are so addicted to RunDisney. It's super fun, not too competitive and motivating. I also totally get why some people dismiss it as just 'paying for a shirt and medal,' but who cares? It was fun, and I really wasn't offended by the price which is something I've only said for DCL for 2+ years. So hey, some value!

-- I also learned why RunDisney is so repetetive about running etiquette in their emails. Whether its just people too delirious from waking up at 2 am to run or plain 'ol ignorance, so many people made it difficult to advance down the course because they weren't moving over to one side when they began walking or other dumb stuff. I almost wish we had done the half just to see if that flowed better.

-- They really need to re-think bathroom placement and quantity (referenced earlier). Had I actually waited in line, I'd have been swept off the course because our start was delayed so much for the 10k. I actually started something because when I ran behind the portapotties to pee, quite a few others saw me and decided to go for it, too. I guess runners don't have much shame. As I was going, a lady walked up beside me, dropped her shorts/tutu and let it rip. Never thought I'd ever have a communal co-ed pee break with 10+ people at Disney, but here we are. Several folks actually thanked me for thinking to do that.

-- I was watching someone's Facebook Live from the airport this morning and was super jealous the half-marathon runners were able to run through Magic Kingdom. I think I actually want to try a half next year.

-- This whole experience made me realize that my issues with running has nothing to do with ability, because I can run fairly well. My real problem is boredom because I can't do one thing for 40+ straight minutes without being engaged by something/someone. Having everyone around made it so much easier because I didn't have time to think about how much I don't like running or the million other things I'd rather do than run. When you suddenly have a eureka moment of, "I can do that," it makes it so much easier to want to do it again.

So we're 100% going to plan to do this again, likely next year. Now I get the appeal.

If there's anything I forgot or anything specific you'd like to know, go for it.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 25, 2024

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CapnAndy posted:

Something like this?

https://youtu.be/NaztojJm8zs?si=EVR5lowbN-v1BOl2

This is from a Disney medley musical from a few decades back, this one song they did Be Our Guest in multiple languages at once, it’s really fun

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Doronin posted:

Anyway, the pacers (aka - 'balloon ladies') were ruthless and mean as poo poo to my wife and everyone else they dismissed from the race. Very curt and insensitive, including being nasty to a pregnant woman. It was just uncalled for, but on the other hand, I imagine they get a lot of poo poo anytime they yank someone who paid $150 to run 6 miles.

This is one of those areas where there's a lot of confusion because runDisney often doesn't explain the Balloon Ladies to new participants. Instead, there's a lot of myth and legend passed around. Mainly because the Balloon Ladies, while important to every event, aren't Disney employees or have any official capacity within the event. They don't sweep anyone, they don't chase anyone down, and as far as I know they're the sweetest people around.

Check out this podcast interview with some of the Balloon Ladies that participated in the 2024 Princess Weekend to learn more.

Basically, the Balloon Ladies are volunteers, usually 3 in most runs, who carry a large Mickey Mouse balloon provided to them. They start after the last group of the last corral and run at the 16-minute per mile minimum pace required to stay in the race. They will normally spend the race shouting encouragement and do their best to encourage runners to keep moving if it's safe for them to do so. Their members are largely made up of locals affiliated with a local running company in Orlando alongside Jeff Galloway, the official runDisney training consultant.

Instead, it's members of the runDisney staff and park safety employees who will typically follow on bikes and monitor for people falling behind and unlikely to finish as the required pace. They're the ones who make any decisions to sweep and direct people to the transportation back to the finish line. They're usually the ones people are complaining about sounding mean. In some ways they are, but also they're kind of forced to be use somewhat forceful tones to get people to not immediately throw a fit in the middle of the road and make them spend time talking them down instead of continuing on to make sure there are no problems with other runners.

Still, no one should feel like they're being attacked. I'd recommend sending feedback to runDisney directly about your wife's experience.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Fun fact, I spent a year or so as one of the sweepers!

Typically, we would get assigned to a bus and a location and... wait. Once the balloon ladies passed us and the line was officially cut, orange county sheriffs would roll up and we would block the route, funneling any remaining racers into the bus to go back to the reunion area. They used VIP tour guides for this since many of us had background in Guest Relations (or at least other guest service roles, since I was never actually GR) and were generally a lot better at letting folks down than the bus drivers or sheriffs. Usually we would drop those folks off and then head up to a later spot in the race.

The trick is to figure out the fastest time you can submit without providing a proof of time and going with that. My MIL ended up in corral A last year because of that. Then the trick is to figure out the front of the corral and make your way as close as you can get. I think for the ten miler last year I had almost an hour's head start on the balloon ladies.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

This Monday is my annual go to the 50s drive in wearing mst3k poo poo day

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I can never remember how to upload pics on this thing from my phone, but I finally saw the balloon ladies in January, during marathon - they were entering Blizzard Beach parking lot as I was leaving - so it was a good kick in the butt to remember I had a mile on them going into mile 20.

Catching site of the clean up crew for culling the folks who got pulled is apparently impressive in MK - my friends watched a ton of folks get pulled after I cleared the park (MK was mile 9), since they had to get everyone out before official park opening.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Anya posted:

I can never remember how to upload pics on this thing from my phone,

https://imgbb.com/

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Anya posted:

I can never remember how to upload pics on this thing from my phone,

If you have iOS, try this shortcut. It’ll ask you for your photo and automatically upload it and copy the Imgur BBcode to your clipboard. Just paste and go.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/07351527be5b4d648a87181668f6b33f

If for some reason it doesn’t work, log into Imgur through Safari.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

SimplyCosmic posted:

This is one of those areas where there's a lot of confusion because runDisney often doesn't explain the Balloon Ladies to new participants. Instead, there's a lot of myth and legend passed around. Mainly because the Balloon Ladies, while important to every event, aren't Disney employees or have any official capacity within the event. They don't sweep anyone, they don't chase anyone down, and as far as I know they're the sweetest people around.

Check out this podcast interview with some of the Balloon Ladies that participated in the 2024 Princess Weekend to learn more.

Basically, the Balloon Ladies are volunteers, usually 3 in most runs, who carry a large Mickey Mouse balloon provided to them. They start after the last group of the last corral and run at the 16-minute per mile minimum pace required to stay in the race. They will normally spend the race shouting encouragement and do their best to encourage runners to keep moving if it's safe for them to do so. Their members are largely made up of locals affiliated with a local running company in Orlando alongside Jeff Galloway, the official runDisney training consultant.

Instead, it's members of the runDisney staff and park safety employees who will typically follow on bikes and monitor for people falling behind and unlikely to finish as the required pace. They're the ones who make any decisions to sweep and direct people to the transportation back to the finish line. They're usually the ones people are complaining about sounding mean. In some ways they are, but also they're kind of forced to be use somewhat forceful tones to get people to not immediately throw a fit in the middle of the road and make them spend time talking them down instead of continuing on to make sure there are no problems with other runners.

Still, no one should feel like they're being attacked. I'd recommend sending feedback to runDisney directly about your wife's experience.

Cais posted:

Fun fact, I spent a year or so as one of the sweepers!

Typically, we would get assigned to a bus and a location and... wait. Once the balloon ladies passed us and the line was officially cut, orange county sheriffs would roll up and we would block the route, funneling any remaining racers into the bus to go back to the reunion area. They used VIP tour guides for this since many of us had background in Guest Relations (or at least other guest service roles, since I was never actually GR) and were generally a lot better at letting folks down than the bus drivers or sheriffs. Usually we would drop those folks off and then head up to a later spot in the race.

The trick is to figure out the fastest time you can submit without providing a proof of time and going with that. My MIL ended up in corral A last year because of that. Then the trick is to figure out the front of the corral and make your way as close as you can get. I think for the ten miler last year I had almost an hour's head start on the balloon ladies.

Whoa, thank you for all this info SimplyCosmic and Cais! This is actually super refreshing, and now I really wish RunDisney would just explain this aspect up front. I think it would have eliminated a shitload of anxiety we had as first-timers and managed our expectations.

I typed that first part and forgot to hit "submit reply" but spoke to my wife real quick and told her what y'all said. She reaffirmed, "no, it was one of the balloon ladies. One hundred percent, she had the balloon on her. I knew I deserved to be swept because I couldn't keep up at all, but she didn't need to be so rude. The staff on the bikes the the sweepers were super nice the whole time."

Apparently this lady, as she approached them started yelling from behind, "You know you have to stay in front of us!" and "You KNEW the pace when you signed up!"

I texted her the contact for RunDisney and said she ought to share it so they know about it for the next race(s).

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just realizing that our trip this year finally overlaps with May the 4th. Are costumes in HS given a pass on this day? Anyone else with experience on this? Should I expect any level of closure of HS and should I prioritize HS at any particular time of the day or just accept all day? I think at the moment we were planning on AK morning then jumping over to HS later

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That's a good question. Now that you got me thinking, do they run the Hyperspace Mountain overlay over at MK?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's a good question. Now that you got me thinking, do they run the Hyperspace Mountain overlay over at MK?

Unless thry've come up with something recently, no. There's nothing really to overlay in the MK one, it's mostly just pitch black, and there's no in-vehicle music.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Icedude posted:

Unless thry've come up with something recently, no. There's nothing really to overlay in the MK one, it's mostly just pitch black, and there's no in-vehicle music.

Oh yeahhhhhh that's right.

and so I don't look totally stupid, tomorrow WDW opens up resort bookings for 2025. Looking forward to seeing how much more they tighten the screws on us.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Silly Burrito posted:

If you have iOS, try this shortcut. It’ll ask you for your photo and automatically upload it and copy the Imgur BBcode to your clipboard. Just paste and go.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/07351527be5b4d648a87181668f6b33f

If for some reason it doesn’t work, log into Imgur through Safari.

Just wanted to say thanks for this, it’s very convenient!

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeaaahhhh, I’d expect a little more compassion out of a Balloon Lady. They’re basically the angel of death for races.

I don’t think they ever did Hyperspace Mountain but they set up a whole goddamn Star Wars themed Rock N Roller Coaster and used it what, 2 or 3 nights ever? Premier party for the sequel trilogy. What a waste. It was after Star Wars Weekends got killed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

couldcareless posted:

Just realizing that our trip this year finally overlaps with May the 4th. Are costumes in HS given a pass on this day? Anyone else with experience on this? Should I expect any level of closure of HS and should I prioritize HS at any particular time of the day or just accept all day? I think at the moment we were planning on AK morning then jumping over to HS later
They don't really give a gently caress about costumes in HS at all it seems. For May the 4th you will probably be overlapping with the organised lightsaber meetups so people will be breaking the rules and showing up in full armour, so as long as you carry your helmet when not posing for photos you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Hazo posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for this, it’s very convenient!

You're welcome! It's about the easiest way to post photos on the forums on your iPhone. You'd think the actual Imgur app would be more helpful but :shrug: