Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

JBP posted:

My biggest source of team kills is firing the AC into someone's back when they walk in front of me lol
This but the opposite:
https://i.imgur.com/kfV1xIV.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lmao the first time I ever saw someone with a shield gen they ran Infront of me and I killed myself with the AC when it bounced off them.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Important question: The More Guns ship upgrade says it increases the shots fired per barrage by one. Does this mean it's doing n*2 shots total because it's firing two shots every time it would previously fire one, or is it now doing n+1 shots by adding an extra volley at the end?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Darox posted:

Important question: The More Guns ship upgrade says it increases the shots fired per barrage by one. Does this mean it's doing n*2 shots total because it's firing two shots every time it would previously fire one, or is it now doing n+1 shots by adding an extra volley at the end?
It says it fires an additional salvo and that's exactly what it does: All the barrage stratagems are 3 salvos of 3 rounds each by default, and the upgrade makes them 4 salvos of 3 rounds each.

E: Except for the Gatling Barrage, I haven't bothered to pay attention to how that one works

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly why I'm probably going to mostly stick with the 4-5 difficulty range, feels like the sweet spot of enabling horde clearing shenanigans while still having some challenging enemies so it's not a complete cakewalk

I could see that changing up depending on future additions to our arsenal(especially once vehicles and mechs get added) or if I find a group to more consistently play with

If they adjust how frequently heavily armored dudes spawn and or give you more options for dealing with them than just 'hope you have an anti-armor support weapon' then 4-5 feels like it'd be just right to dick around on, same as Haz 3-4 on DRG. Not so easy it's sleep inducing but not so difficult you have to be sweating to not be deadweight for your team.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

turn off the TV posted:

the TKs that make me angey are people throwing eagles and orbitals on top of my sentries the second i call one down

it happens so often and i just don't understand what possesses people to airstrike the funny blue light with no enemies around it

wilderthanmild posted:

Some people actively hate sentries. A few games I've played I've noticed people killing mine in clearly intentional ways.

i've seen multiple pubbies throw gatling turrets behind us on level ground relative to the advancing hoarde of bugs, not only saying nothing about doing so but not moving out of the line of fire themselves, so i chalk it up to battle madness and gun down the automaton fifth column before it gets us brave helldivers

Vanilla Bison posted:

oh THAT'S what those are for

For some reason if you toss a grenade down them they explode really pretty, kinda like a bug hole.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The first time your mortar turret kills 3 people while trying to clear an egg nest, I'll give that to you.

If you pop another mortar turret when we start to assault the next egg nest that turret is eating AC rounds until it's gone.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Started a mission in a group of 4, when we landed I instantly died on impact to UNKNOWN

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Ive had my first deploy land straight in a hole and I never even got to get out.

CainFortea posted:

AC sentry absolutely can. It'll shred a charger.

Can confirm, they seem to absolutely hurt things my AC has issues with.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Okay super silly question: the weapon options menu you get by holding 'reload'. I know that mousewheel up/down work for the options above and below the selector, but how do I do left/right to change the fire mode/rate as available on some guns?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Arrath posted:

Okay super silly question: the weapon options menu you get by holding 'reload'. I know that mousewheel up/down work for the options above and below the selector, but how do I do left/right to change the fire mode/rate as available on some guns?

You'll need to bind those, Combat -> Weapon Wheel Left / Weapon Wheel Right

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arrath posted:

iirc it defaults to left and right mouse button click.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thanks!

E: From a couple pages back:

It was so gratifying when I tried and found out that sustained fire to the legs of an automaton AT-ST/D-Walker would take them down.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 25, 2024

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Mortar Turrets are for either when you want to keep enemies away from where you are or for when you're trying to get away from a bad situation

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it's pretty wild how much of an inversion the eradication missions are compared to HD1, where they're so much harder to the point of barely being worth doing a mission set on difficulty 7-12 if it includes one of those.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Just did this in game but did not land in a hole.

e: also when we encountered this tank it was just sitting there nothing with clear visibility and I thought it was just parked or a prop until I got within 5-10 feet and it woke up, then I reinforced on top of it and it blew me very high and I died on landing

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 25, 2024

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
This bomb is so satisfying.

https://imgur.com/6D69j6a

The first time I brought it on a mission was my first scrambled strategem. Ordered a jump pack and killed my entire team.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

This bomb is so satisfying.

https://imgur.com/6D69j6a

The first time I brought it on a mission was my first scrambled strategem. Ordered a jump pack and killed my entire team.

Satisfaction of the bomb aside, those broadcast towers can be destroyed with a single shot of the autocannon you're carrying. An impact grenade or cooked grenade can wreck them too. They're very fragile.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
the 50:50 armour only ever saves me when I've been sent flying by an explosion... and then I die on landing anyway

ah well

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Someone might want to do a pass on the Communications Relay mission because making the secondary objective marker the same dark grey as completed/unavailable objectives isn't very intuitive.

It might have been a bug, I'm honestly not sure because it was the first time I've ever run that mission - and I think it was for all the pubbies I was riding with too because we all just kinda stumbled around the primary after getting the SSSD for like 5 minutes until I took the initiative and looked up what we were supposed to do online.

On an unrelated note, the Anti-Material rife is a lot better than I thought it would be. Not the best for clearing swarms but if you're going up against Big Beefy Boys then it does a good job burning them down while the rest of your teammates clear out the chaff.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

apostateCourier posted:

three grenades under a charger's belly should finish it
if you mean from the gun, they absolutely do not

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

the 50:50 armour only ever saves me when I've been sent flying by an explosion... and then I die on landing anyway

ah well

One of my buddies had it save him exactly once, and it was when another friend of ours spam hipfired her anti-materiel rifle and pegged him right in the back of the head from the recoil.

Game of the year 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Every time I ricochet I'm always afraid it's going to go into a player, but so far all I've seen happen was an autocannon ricochet off a bile titan make a 3x killstreak pop up

LazyMaybe posted:

if you mean from the gun, they absolutely do not

poo poo I've direct hit one's butt with about 7 in a row and it didn't die.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
everyone's on about chargers but my only way to deal with these god drat hulks are impact grenades... in fact it's been my solution for a lot of things lately...

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
going around leveling these outposts got me feeling like i'm playing mercenaries and synthetik

also do these laser canon towers have a weak spot?? when are we getting c4 in this game

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Booty Pageant posted:

going around leveling these outposts got me feeling like i'm playing mercenaries and synthetik

also do these laser canon towers have a weak spot?? when are we getting c4 in this game

Yes. Like all bot big things, it's on the back and it's a glowing orange grill.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
They have heat vents on their rear end. Alternatively, if I'm out of calldowns or too far for them, I usually will spend a pair of EAT rockets to their front (the rockets are affected by projectile drop BTW), they'll do the trick.

They're absolutely the deadliest part of dealing with robot bases tho

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

They have heat vents on their rear end. Alternatively, if I'm out of calldowns or too far for them, I usually will spend a pair of EAT rockets to their front (the rockets are affected by projectile drop BTW), they'll do the trick.

They're absolutely the deadliest part of dealing with robot bases tho

Overlapping mortar bases are far FAR worse.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Was playing a level 5 mission with another goon yesterday. Two pubbies had left and now the sos beacon wasn't working so I was a bit worried but we seemed to be doing ok. We get to a terminal and start doing objectives and suddenly I turn around... And see my first ever bile titan up close right behind us... All hell broke loose but we pulled through, game owns.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NHf93J0X0c

this series is always fun

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Love J-fergs, even if he still talks to Ian. Seems to be a genuinely good dude, and has fun doing what he does.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Playing this game a bunch, I'm coming to the conclusion that automatons are significantly more fun to fight than terminids, at least on higher difficulties.

I really dislike how completely impossible it is to stem the tide of bugs. The insanely numerous Bile Titans/Chargers are very quick to get up in your space but are not particularly quick or easy to take down, and most of the lesser creatures can take a significant beating. But on the other hand, only a couple of them are capable of doing anything about you running away, so it ends up being a bunch of really silly kiting nonsense where you often don't bother chunking bugs at all. Frequently I'll just be running laps around an objective or extract for 5 minutes while a drat zoo follows me around. That ain't the starship troopers vibe I'm looking for.

I want to hold my ground and tear through a tide of insects, where them reaching the team is the fail state. I'd much rather terminids be far squishier, but also far more capable of keeping you from fleeing.

Bots though? No complaints. They're a blast. Way more weapons are worthwhile against them, too.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 25, 2024

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Reduce charger spawns but up trash bug spawns IMO

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

toasterwarrior posted:

Reduce charger spawns but up trash bug spawns IMO

Yeah flood it with little guys and more poo poo like brood commanders.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Nuebot posted:

It can get a bit old. I, specifically, get tired of people being really careless with air strikes and the like. Like if we're all doing well and someone just decides to drop a one second timer bomb on our group (evacuation points seem to be big targets for this one), then runs away without even picking up the samples or whatnot it gets old, especially if they're the kind of selfish player that doesn't call in respawns.

There's been like a trend I've noticed where one player will constantly kill everyone else the entire match, then the instant someone gets annoyed with it and either crushes them with a hellpod or deliberately teamkills them outside of combat out of frustration they'll just rage out and quit. Usually the mission goes smoothly after that.

you can kick these people

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

bugs do seem to have a lot more bullshit to put up with than the terminators which is hilarious given the terminators have artillery emplacements and stratagem jammers and the loving eye of sauron bringing a host of nazguls dropships down on your head

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oneiros posted:

bugs do seem to have a lot more bullshit to put up with than the terminators which is hilarious given the terminators have artillery emplacements and stratagem jammers and the loving eye of sauron bringing a host of nazguls dropships down on your head

Warning! You are in range of enemy artillery!

LazyMaybe posted:

I've become extremely grenade launcher pilled lately. shreds groups and most armored enemies, does better damage to bile titans than most(still gotta use stratagems to effectively take them down, but it can finish them off after a rail strike or some orbital laser). Still wanna have people with railguns on the team to deal with chargers though.

Yeah I've become pretty addicted to it too. I really like it against bots because 2-3 grenades can kill the berserkers and devastators. Bot drops are a lot less of an issue when a quick Ka-chunk! Ka-chunk! Ka-chunk! Ka-chunk! can destroy the entire group. I'm not as big of a fan of it against bugs...usually. If you get bile/nursing spewers it's the best day ever as you just watch them explode. Again two grenades just deletes a massive (and dangerous) ball of health in a satisfying detonation.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Grenade launcher is fantastic for clearing nests. Let your teammates distract the bugs and you can just run through clearing all the holes in no time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who was drooling over getting those heavy weapons ASAP to take on the big guys and completely skipped the grenade launcher only to come back later and feel like they had to apologize to the weapon for skipping it.

It's basically the autocannon but it trades range and ammo capacity for rate of fire and larger splash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm having loads of fun dropping into 6 and backing up the pubbies with the spear. They've usually got everything small covered so I just fire the big boy at titans when they appear and everyone gets paid.