Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

El Generico posted:

it's hard to imagine this isn't a poe, what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/collins1_kawone/status/1761103099706388737?t=Q9wA5ER7r3mmq_4Ps7DgsA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I don’t understand what the Phil Leotardo picture is meant to convey.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

The same thing Phil Leotardo is always trying to convey. Angered confusion

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Excalibur is not worthy of being best commentary person and Booker is not deserving of being called worst commentary person

That is a lunatic opinion but that appears to be his opinion

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
Booker T saying "woooooow" every five seconds adds a lot to commentary

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SHUCKY DUCKY QUACK QUACK

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Goblin Queen posted:

Booker T saying "woooooow" every five seconds adds a lot to commentary

There was a period in 2022 where I was watching NXT for some god forsaken reason I still don't understand and every single episode he had to reference Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

And I'm just like...why? Who is this for? No one fuckin' remembers that show!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

lookin real jacked baby

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
That photo captures neither the fly, nor the stink lines coming off of Braun at the HOF

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

mfw the narrative is completely controlled

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
Why isn’t the most recent year of wrestling better than the best era of wrestling?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I have a nostalgia poisoned friend who still loves ECW and thinks it's still the best thing ever. I have a lot of fond memories of watching ECW too and there's a lot that has aged well but also a lot that hasn't and modern wrestling, hardcore or otherwise, completely blows it out of the water

I tried to get him to watch GCW because it's the closest thing we have with a similar vibe and spirit behind it but he didn't like it. I think he literally wants all those exact same people in '98 ECW to just magically become 25 years younger (or not dead) and do all the exact same stuff again today. He's one of my best friends and isn't like this with anything else but it's really weird how he talks about ECW

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Elephant Ambush posted:

I have a nostalgia poisoned friend who still loves ECW and thinks it's still the best thing ever. I have a lot of fond memories of watching ECW too and there's a lot that has aged well but also a lot that hasn't and modern wrestling, hardcore or otherwise, completely blows it out of the water

I tried to get him to watch GCW because it's the closest thing we have with a similar vibe and spirit behind it but he didn't like it. I think he literally wants all those exact same people in '98 ECW to just magically become 25 years younger (or not dead) and do all the exact same stuff again today. He's one of my best friends and isn't like this with anything else but it's really weird how he talks about ECW

I can sort of sympathize. I was very burnt out after the great year WCW had in 1992 - wrestling-quality wise I stress - and the couple of years after for the big two were just dire. Then somebody gave me a copy of Rey/Psicosis from ECW TV and I was blown away and it was such a 180 from the stuff I was used to I thought it was the best thing ever (I mean, Rey and Psicosis was really good, of course) and that's hard to shake even if I know it's for the best that I did.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

same but the ecw tv episode where paul heyman just spends 10 minutes standing in front of the ecw curtain backstage making fun of jfk jr dying for seemingly no reason at all.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Elephant Ambush posted:

The main difference I see here is that ECW is still good and GCW loving sucks. Sounds like your friend is right.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Elephant Ambush posted:

The thing is, GCW really isn't anything like ECW. Nothing is. I mean sure, if all you think of is the matches but ECW is really the whole product. Because the guys you regularly think of as ECW guys kind of weren't great. But that company managed to convince you that The Sandman was must watch TV. That Public Enemy were the best tag team in the world, or at least in America. The rest of the '90s showed that was 100% not the case. Honestly, a lot of it is very time & place. Like it's the music, the presentation, the promos, the rabid crowd in a relatively small venue, the fact that stuff taped for TV was edited to hell in a way I hate today when Samurai TV do it, but that was essential in presenting these guys as competent.

Like, ECW TV stands up. It's an hour in & out, it's generally well-paced, no, the matches aren't the high point, there's a lot of really loving problematic stuff from homophobia to misogyny, but I dunno. It's still really fun to watch in a way that WWE certainly isn't.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I still think people are underselling ECW's in-ring. Their high-end stuff was as good as anything in America at the time.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The thing about high-end ECW is that the people who have done nothing since leaving ECW/ECW died but leech off the ECW name weren't the people doing high-end stuff.

So the names who are associated with only having success in ECW drag the reputation down, along with a lot of the angles/edginess just...well, being exactly what 'the problem with the Attitude Era is that it's not edgy enough' would result in.

Like if you tell me 'Yeah ECW Great Shane Douglas' I go 'okay there is no way that's watchable unless he's being carried'.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I think it was about a year ago where I stumbled across a guy on twitch who apparently had every episode of ECW TV available and digitized and he was running a 24/7 stream with all those episodes in order from the beginning. I watched as much of it as I could based on my free time and other hobbies and overall it still holds up as a solid hour of TV wrestling but for all the great matches and moments we remember there was also a whole lot of filler with mediocre overbooked matches with 3 different run ins and chair spots. It was refreshing back then to have run ins without a DQ finish but they did it all the time and it got old. I'm guilty of wearing rose colored glasses for a lot of things but ECW isn't one of them. The great stuff was great but people forget the stuff that was mid and yeah it's not awesome to see the whole crowd chanting "show your tits" every time they see a woman

Benne posted:

The main difference I see here is that ECW is still good and GCW loving sucks. Sounds like your friend is right.

Nah. GCW isn't amazing but the good stuff is really good and like I said it's mostly about the similar vibe. Small dirty venues with really hot crowds and every show has at least one good hardcore match. They also do the same thing ECW used to do which is bring in all kinds of guest talent from all over the global indies. Hell, they got Utami Hayashishita from Stardom to do a couple shows when even AEW couldn't get her

Nobody can ever truly re-create ECW because it was a product of its time but honestly that's probably for the best all things considered. Wrestling has evolved a lot and that's for the best

IDK what I'm even trying to say anymore I'm just rambling lol thanks for coming to my TED talk or whatever

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Small dirty venues with really hot crowds and every show has at least one good hardcore match.

I misunderstood when I first read this because the last GCW show I went to had no A/C and just two large industrial fans for a 2000 seat theater in the middle of summer

(Yes I understand that's almost 100% not their fault)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

The Taxman posted:

I misunderstood when I first read this because the last GCW show I went to had no A/C and just two large industrial fans for a 2000 seat theater in the middle of summer

(Yes I understand that's almost 100% not their fault)

I went to a GCW show in September and it was still hot here. It was in this small sport arena with multiple small astroturf soccer pitches and no A/C. They had big industrial fans that kinda helped move the air around but it was still uncomfortable. It got better once the sun went down

The show was great though. We got Maki Itoh pizza cuttering a clown, a surprise Colt Cabana appearance, Rina Yamashita and Masha Slamovich tagging together in a brutal hardcore match where tables and doors were destroyed, El Gringo Loco, the return of Lash Leroux vs Joey Janela, and several other matches I can't remember right now but the crowd was loud and awesome and everyone had a good time

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Benne posted:

I still think people are underselling ECW's in-ring. Their high-end stuff was as good as anything in America at the time.

Yeah but there's also an obscene amount of Tommy Dreamer plunder filled walk and brawls with the likes of the Harris Brothers and that stuff has aged like milk. And stuff like Lynn RVD might have been great in 1999/2000 but it definitely doesn't feel so special now.

It's not that there's no good wrestling, there's lots. But there's not necessarily much of stuff that's great. But there sure ia a lot of stuff thats fun, as a TV product it's more fun to watch than Raw from the same period

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
booker pee

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Fine. You may not know who Akiyama is but to have a wrestler pull an “ Owen hart”? AEW doesn’t need your business

https://x.com/spencerblack063/status/1761548548762439722?s=46

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Ignoring the truly disgusting tweet, it's so funny because it's literally in response to a video package explaining who Jun Akiyama is.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Love the brand of WWE fans who call Japanese legends complete nobodies but suddenly when Muta is in the WWE Hall of Fame or Liger is opening an NXT show they're total experts on puro

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
antonio inoki held the heavyweight belt but wwe wont acknwoledege it :sad:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
wwe is the same company that wanted to do a video package for terry funk because they thought wwe fans wouldnt know who he was and they were probably right lol

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jun Akiyama has literally already appeared in AEW multiple times. These people are just recycling the same scripts at this point.

bartok
May 10, 2006

When I watched WCW as a kid I didn't know who Jushin Thunder Liger or any of the other foreign talent they would bring in occasionally but I just assumed they had to be important because they showed up to Where The Big Boys Play.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TV Zombie posted:

Fine. You may not know who Akiyama is but to have a wrestler pull an “ Owen hart”? AEW doesn’t need your business

https://x.com/spencerblack063/status/1761548548762439722?s=46

the guy has "i love wwe and aew sucks" as his bio

somehow I do not think he was ever going to give AEW his business, and is just arguing to be a dickhead

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bartok posted:

When I watched WCW as a kid I didn't know who Jushin Thunder Liger or any of the other foreign talent they would bring in occasionally but I just assumed they had to be important because they showed up to Where The Big Boys Play.

Yeah. I knew I liked "Flyin'" Brian Pillman and I looked forward to seeing him wrestle and then there's dude from Japan and WCW had some clips of him and he seemed like a big deal and could also fly like Flyin' Brian! (Please ignore this took place during the Watts era where you couldn't actually come off the top rope but it didn't matter because those two put on a classic anyway.) I became a Liger fan after, of course.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The stupidest parts of all these arguments from these clowns and El Hijo de Ice Cube and such is they're making these arguments literally in response to the video packages created to do the thing they're demanding AEW do, but somehow it doesn't count that they're doing it because they maybe didn't do it in the past??????

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Drakkel posted:

The stupidest parts of all these arguments from these clowns and El Hijo de Ice Cube and such is they're making these arguments literally in response to the video packages created to do the thing they're demanding AEW do, but somehow it doesn't count that they're doing it because they maybe didn't do it in the past??????

A classic internet debate tactic is just pretending to be Too loving Stupid to understand something so therefore it doesn't count.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

In like, 1995 and 96. After that? No. The roster just wasn't that good. By the time WCW was actively sabotaging the cruiserweights from having any great matches ECW cards were pretty wretched.

When GCW was really killing it from 2017-February 2020 they definitely had an ECW vibe. You had someone like Nick Gage who is incredibly limited wrestling like he's a god. You had lots of interesting international guests other companies wouldn't think of and workers like Joey Janela looking world class. It had the same feel live, and the booking had some of the same feel although that was filtered through CZW aping ECW.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Dimebags Brain posted:

A classic internet debate tactic is just pretending to be Too loving Stupid to understand something so therefore it doesn't count.

"pretending"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Ignoring the truly disgusting tweet, it's so funny because it's literally in response to a video package explaining who Jun Akiyama is.

https://twitter.com/SpencerBlack063/status/1761579803721822246

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

To be fair to "AEW sucks" guy, AEW TV would actually be improved if AEW just spent the next 2 months showing nothing but Jun Akiyama matches from the archives & put their own stuff on hold.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

To be fair to "AEW sucks" guy, AEW TV would actually be improved if AEW just spent the next 2 months showing nothing but Jun Akiyama matches from the archives & put their own stuff on hold.

tony sighs as excalibur starts writing a dissertation going back to the feudal eras

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Basing your entire online personality around liking a company seems…unhealthy?