Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The American way of using forks

How do other people use folks? How do Americans use forks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Byzantine Princess who taught dirt-grubbimg Euros to use forks had a hell of a tough life

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the actual dividing line shouldnt be based on dates which were arbitrarily invented by the papacy to deceive us but on whether the historical content is closer to an epstein conspiracy theory explainer or boring modern communism

pretty sure the main reason the threads have such different regulars is because those arent really overlapping cspam cliques

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Some Guy TT posted:

the actual dividing line shouldnt be based on dates which were arbitrarily invented by the papacy to deceive us but on whether the historical content is closer to an epstein conspiracy theory explainer or boring modern communism

pretty sure the main reason the threads have such different regulars is because those arent really overlapping cspam cliques

Huh?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

How do other people use folks? How do Americans use forks?
American-style:
Fork in left, knife in right, cut off a piece of food for consumption
Lay down knife to indicate that you're a civilized person not about to attack other dinner guests
Transfer fork to your right, and stab the food before showing it in your face
Transfer fork to your left, and pick up the knife again for more cutting

European-style:
Stab the food and put it in your mouth/push the food onto the fork and shovel it into your mouth

Some American writers pretend Europeans place the tines down when pushing food onto the fork, but that's fake. I mean, I guess some upper-class freaks might be doing that, but that's hardly fair to lay on an entire continent.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i would explain to you about fomenkos new chronology which is supported by russias now number one extremely respectable political dissident gary kasparov but alas this is off topic both under the current thread definition as well as the proposed new one

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

A Buttery Pastry posted:

American-style:
Lay down knife to indicate that you're a civilized person not about to attack other dinner guests

this cannot be real

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

A Buttery Pastry posted:

American-style:
Transfer fork to your right, and stab the food before shoving it in your face

European-style:
Stab the food and put it in your mouth/push the food onto the fork and shovel it into your mouth

Some American writers pretend Europeans place the tines down when pushing food onto the fork, but that's fake. I mean, I guess some upper-class freaks might be doing that, but that's hardly fair to lay on an entire continent.

Wait! Are you joking about how Americans eat?!

:psyduck:

e: Do Americans use knife rests?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
None of that is fake or wrong except even Americans should be doing the tines down thing

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
No American I know eats like that, but there are some serious cultural differences between certain areas of the US. That could explain the weirdness.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What the gently caress? Fork on left, SPOON on right

Are you people insane

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The gently caress is a knife rest

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

It’s that bar in your table setting.

Wait, do Americans use a knife rest?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Anyway, the whole problem is arguably caused by "modern" in this thread cutting off the first 300 years of the modern era.

you consider the modern era to start in 1515????

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

American-style:

Nobody puts the knife down, and that makes it sound ridiculous. You just swap the fork and knife between your hands so that you can use your dominant hand for the current action, which is a lot faster than the European method.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

mycomancy posted:

No American I know eats like that, but there are some serious cultural differences between certain areas of the US. That could explain the weirdness.
apparently the canadians have adopted the european style across the board, so it seems entirely possible that entire regions or states have also abandoned their heritage of emulating french nobles.

fermun posted:

Yes. early modern but still modern.

Chamale posted:

Nobody puts the knife down, and that makes it sound ridiculous. You just swap the fork and knife between your hands so that you can use your dominant hand for the current action, which is a lot faster than the European method.
of course an american would defend this practice with talks of dominance

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It’s that bar in your table setting.

Wait, do Americans use a knife rest?

what is a knife rest

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

whats a table setting

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

i was gonna dismiss the whole thing as too dumb to be true, but what do you know, here we have someone actually defending this poo poo

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
No one in all of America eats like that. no one puts down the knife or constantly switches hands. Hell most people just cut all their stuff at the start so they can eat without constantly having to stop to cut a new piece.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

i eat nuggies

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yes. early modern but still modern.

no, gently caress you

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

ages ago when I was a cspam mod I asked the history threads if they wanted to heal the schism and they said no because the posters didn't want discussions of Roman coins to get overwhelmed by arguments about Stalin

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Hell most people just cut all their stuff at the start so they can eat without constantly having to stop to cut a new piece.

this is just as depraved as switching your fork hand every time you want to take a bite

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

vyelkin posted:

this is just as depraved as switching your fork hand every time you want to take a bite

i do that, knife in right hand then put it down

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Chamale posted:

Do you miss your mouth frequently when trying to cram food in there with your non-dominant hand?

galagazombie posted:

No one in all of America eats like that. no one puts down the knife or constantly switches hands. Hell most people just cut all their stuff at the start so they can eat without constantly having to stop to cut a new piece.

I've seen this done. Sickening.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
American who lives out of their car:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

ages ago when I was a cspam mod I asked the history threads if they wanted to heal the schism and they said no because the posters didn't want discussions of Roman coins to get overwhelmed by arguments about Stalin

There's a direct through line from the Gracchi brothers, to Julius Caesar, to Robespierre, to Stalin, to Bernie Sanders

(they're all ftw)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

vyelkin posted:

they should appreciate stalin arguments, since he was the last roman emperor

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Are people joking about not knowing what a knife rest is?

Do they have saucers in America?

and if they do, do people drink tea out of the cup or the saucer?

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 15:31 on Feb 25, 2024

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Are people joking about not knowing what a knife rest is?

Do they have saucers in America?

and if they do, do people drink tea out of the cup or the saucer?

1) I've never heard of a "knife rest" until right now, 2) most Americans don't drink hot tea so your question is void, except 3) I do drink hot tea daily, and I just put it into whatever coffee mug I have on hand and pour the water over the tea bag.

What I'm learning is that Canada is infested with British bourgeoisie customs.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's a direct through line from the Gracchi brothers, to Julius Caesar, to Robespierre, to Stalin, to Bernie Sanders

(they're all ftw)

Correction: gently caress Bernie Sanders.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Correction: gently caress Bernie Sanders.
robespierre was the fetterman of the french revolution

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just saying, both Bernie and Jules did genocides

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Wait, you drink tea out of the saucer? Are you like six years old and scald your tongue or something?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

fermun posted:

before the scope of this thread. this thread is for 1815 and later. :colbert:

it's 1492!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

fermun posted:

Yes, and it ends somewhere between 1918 and 1973

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

In Europe they got things pretty much chugging along in the 1100's

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Modernity starts in 1517 - 1661. Source:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'd put the modern age to start with the sack of Constantinople in 1204 and the ascension of Genghis Khan in 1206