Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Have Zendaya appear throughout the entire press tour in her robot suit. Doesn’t matter that she’s not in the movie. It will distract from any bad press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm still waiting for The People's Joker...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Isn’t this actually getting some kind of release?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E: nvm

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Boy Kills World looks like a MUCH better Borderlands movie.

It does, and I still think it looks annoying.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Chairman Capone posted:

Isn’t this actually getting some kind of release?

Oh neat, good for them!

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The first movie was also pretty decent, when it wasn't focusing on dumb wizard politics. The second movie went all in on wizard politics and it was terrible because of it.
While the wizard politics in FB2 were very terrible, I don't think you can discount how just terminally stupid the entire rest of the plot also was. We were introduced to a character whose whole deal was 'this is Voldemort's pet snake but she's a lady right now'. We got the utterly baffling reveal that is too complicated and dumb to summarize about Zoë Kravitz's Leta LeStrange doing a baby swap. There was a lot going on and going wrong in that movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Samovar posted:

It does, and I still think it looks annoying.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

NorgLyle posted:

While the wizard politics in FB2 were very terrible, I don't think you can discount how just terminally stupid the entire rest of the plot also was. We were introduced to a character whose whole deal was 'this is Voldemort's pet snake but she's a lady right now'. We got the utterly baffling reveal that is too complicated and dumb to summarize about Zoë Kravitz's Leta LeStrange doing a baby swap. There was a lot going on and going wrong in that movie.

Yeah, it all kind of made sense when someone pointed out that the real problem was that Rowling wrote the script and also was powerful, arrogant and petty enough to not let anyone change it while also having no skill in making a movie. Something like the baby swap and the insanely long flashback wouldn't be out of place in a book. Big thing happens, chapter ends, flashback chapter, back to action. But it's absolutely insane in a movie. Put it together with all the other problems and it's uniquely awful.

For the general failure of the movies, a big part is also Rowling not getting that people didn't really like The Wizarding World. They liked Hogwarts and Harry and (insert characters they identified with or liked). There wasn't much interest in the rest of the world, partly because it's not built very well anyway.

I have 2 nieces that were crazy into Harry Potter. That was actually how I ended up watching Fantastic Beasts 1 and 2. And they skipped 3 because they just didn't really care about any of the characters or plot. They liked Harry going through the cool wizard school and all the characters. Wizard politics in the past wasn't doing anything for them.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

There wasn't much interest in the rest of the world, partly because it's not built very well anyway.

Also because that kind of world tends to fall the gently caress apart when you think about it for ten seconds. The Potter movies grab you and breeze through any kind of question you have about wizard busses zooming through London, but if you make your movie about the garage that changes the wizard bus' wizard tires, you are inviting problems.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is about Harry Potter is that the way it's structured is a lot more like, say, Roald Dahl stories or Enid Blyton, probably, children's stories where the characters are pulled through wacky adventures in a whimsical world, where everyone has silly names and most spells and magical items are introduced primarily as a vehicle for jokes. You're not supposed to take it seriously or think about it because the writer clearly didn't. And even in the first book that becomes a problem when not only heavy stakes but actual themes are introduced, and only gets worse later on when Rowling obviously tries to retrofit a more fantasy worldbuilding kind of framing on it that clearly doesn't work, it's on a foundation of sand. Not to mention no one was particularly interested in that, it's become clear what gets people's interest is Hogwarts himself, a relatable setting as a boarding school but cooler because it has whimsical sports teams, talking paintings, and quirky eccentric teachers.

Of course, I think part of why it took off was because it was being a wacky children's story that has actual stakes and themes, the kind of thing tweens love because it feels like grown-up stories but with actual fun stuff in them, but that may have been by accident.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Also because that kind of world tends to fall the gently caress apart when you think about it for ten seconds. The Potter movies grab you and breeze through any kind of question you have about wizard busses zooming through London, but if you make your movie about the garage that changes the wizard bus' wizard tires, you are inviting problems.

It is incredible that she decided to reopen the door on "So what about Hitler and WW2?" after they'd firmly chained that sucker shut.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It is incredible that she decided to reopen the door on "So what about Hitler and WW2?" after they'd firmly chained that sucker shut.

Even the Minions movie smartly dodged that.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even the Minions movie smartly dodged that.

I’d kill to have a recording of the meeting during the production of Minions where someone’s eyes go suddenly wide in horror and bolts up straight from their chair and exclaims “But what about Hitler?!”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Cars Hitler is canon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

galagazombie posted:

I’d kill to have a recording of the meeting during the production of Minions where someone’s eyes go suddenly wide in horror and bolts up straight from their chair and exclaims “But what about Hitler?!”

There's totally storyboards locked away at Illumination of wartime cartoon style wacky Hitler hijinx.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Alan Smithee posted:

Cars Hitler is canon

Cars 9/11 happened and so did the assassination attempt on Pope John Paul 2

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is Pope John Paul 2 a popemobile within a popemobile or just a popemobile

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Pope Pinion the 4th

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cars Jesus is canon and was crucified

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Pope Pinion the 4th

Catholics have a different relationship with the gays in the Cars universe.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Cartholics, surely?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Catholytic converts

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can't believe they've even got me to ask this question, but how does the fictional history deal with the time before cars IE: everything before the 20th century?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I can't believe they've even got me to ask this question, but how does the fictional history deal with the time before cars IE: everything before the 20th century?

An intelligent creator designed cars 130 years ago. The idea that cars evolved from simpler machines is heretical.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I saw it at a film festival last year, it's fantastic!

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

An intelligent creator designed cars 130 years ago. The idea that cars evolved from simpler machines is heretical.

Pfff, clearly they evolved from wagons...

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

It works on Transformers logic, they evolved from naturally occurring gears, levers and pulleys

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Flintstone cars

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Jay Ward (who was the automotive consultant on Cars 2 and the Creative Director of Cars 3) suggests that the series takes place in the future, after self-driving cars gained sentience and decided it would be more efficient to get rid of their passengers.

Jay Ward posted:

"If you think about this, we have autonomous car technology coming in right now. It's getting to the point where you can sit back in the car and it drives itself. Imagine in the near-future when the cars keep getting smarter and smarter and after one day they just go, 'Why do we need human beings anymore? They're just slowing us down. It's just extra weight, let's get rid of them.' But the car takes on the personality of the last person who drove it. Whoa. There you go."

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

So in the end the human Jesus died for the sins of the sentient cars, just as the Good Book predicted.

e: oh my god, cars is the second coming, but everyone has come back as a car

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Why wouldn’t the humans just use EMPs to disable the sentient cars?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Robot Style posted:

Jay Ward (who was the automotive consultant on Cars 2 and the Creative Director of Cars 3) suggests that the series takes place in the future, after self-driving cars gained sentience and decided it would be more efficient to get rid of their passengers.

I would buy this movie if this was actually made text

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

A Worrying Warlock posted:

Pfff, clearly they evolved from wagons...

Then how could wagons and cars exist side by side!!! See Back To the Future 3!!!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Same reason EMP didn't work on the robots in the Matrix backstory: :shrug:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Does Cars take place before or after Wall-E

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

But is car Jesus coeternal with the creator? Or was he begotten by Him?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Maybe it all happened too fast. One firmware update to the future Teslas and they all simultaneously get the idea to kill all humans, and before you know it civilization is just cut off at the knee and there's no one left with the authority or know-how to set off a bunch of high-atmosphere nuclear detonations or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Clearly some of you aren’t familiar with this classic Jalopnik article

https://jalopnik.com/this-disturbing-theory-explains-pixars-cars-1791834045