Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

orange juche posted:

No, a NAM is not a Navy and Marine Corps Medal.

A NAM is bullshit candy, a Navy and Marine Corps Medal is awarded for heroic action at risk of ones own life to save lives. It's pretty high precedence but warranted for running into a burning building to save people's lives.

Crab Dad, literally both of you should be getting that awarded.

You have a compelling case to get that medal, and a loving captains coin is a cop out.

yeah but i didnt record what we did with camera crew and post a tictoc so whatchagonna do

self-reported stuff feels kind odd too

I suppose I could see if the fire department did a report and request it and send it to the shipyard CO to make it more official. I did call 911 on it but once they showed up we took off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If you wont do it for yourself, you should do it for that jr sailor. You have suction with brass on your chain, talk to them too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

If you wont do it for yourself, you should do it for that jr sailor. You have suction with brass on your chain, talk to them too.

Yeah I believe i will.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
NAMs are a land of contrast. Sometimes you get them for inventorying the galley larder real good. Sometimes you get them for saving people from a burning building.

Sometimes the navy gives you a NAM for good paperwork and get nothing for saving lives.

And dude deserves the NMCM, but such are the whims of the navy, and that takes a lot of paperwork

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The NM has to be approved by the first 3-star in the chain of command; the CO of a shipyard boat (who is getting relieved in a couple weeks) is not going to expend all his political capital trying to push an award up 5 levels of the chain of command on the word of a reservist E-6

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cerekk posted:

The NM has to be approved by the first 3-star in the chain of command; the CO of a shipyard boat (who is getting relieved in a couple weeks) is not going to expend all his political capital trying to push an award up 5 levels of the chain of command on the word of a reservist E-6

I concur as it currently stands. I will make a small additional effort by visiting the fire station and asking if there was a report generated and leave it at that.

I do like the design. Not too busy and rather sleek.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 25, 2024

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Worst that happens is they say no, after all. If there's a documented report stating that servicemember(s) entered a burning building to rescue victims, at risk to themselves, technically it fits the criteria for the award.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
You could always float the story to the local news outlets for one of their "last few minutes feel-good stories," as well.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah the FD report and the local news channel 8 will do more than any CO would.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah the FD report and the local news channel 8 will do more than any CO would.

https://www.kitsapsun.com/pages/interactives/submit-newstip/

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

This is a good idea.

It's pretty much impossible to get anything more than a NAM for anyone under an E7 anymore in the Navy, unless, of course, you work directly for an officer who can approve a higher award, like the piece of poo poo CSC I knew who got a loving COM as an E6 because he was an Admiral's personal chef on shore duty, and cooked him delicious num nums.

I got put up for a COM twice, for a really impactful first sea tour, and again for my actions during the Connecticut grounding, neither got approved.

Not saying that's the same as rushing into a fire, just complaining about my 7 NAMS.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ugh. I test later this week for E7. Radio stuff is still my Achilles heel. I'll be super happy if they actually slice up this rate again.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Get after it!

It's always "C" if you don't know!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
when in doubt charlie out

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Crab Dad posted:

Ugh. I test later this week for E7. Radio stuff is still my Achilles heel. I'll be super happy if they actually slice up this rate again.

The metal tree throws electricity, which makes the electricity in the other metal tree sing.

How fast the electricity gets thrown is the frequency, how hard it gets thrown is the amplitude.

Also the ideal length of an ungrounded antenna is lambda / 4.

There you go that’s all you need to know about radio.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

The metal tree throws electricity, which makes the electricity in the other metal tree sing.

How fast the electricity gets thrown is the frequency, how hard it gets thrown is the amplitude.

Also the ideal length of an ungrounded antenna is lambda / 4.

But what if one of the metal trees is in space and the ionosphere is cranky and the skip distance is wrong and the receiver is 45 years old and the contractor is gone and the crypto is failing.

What then what then???

Edit: just kidding half that poo poo is handled by the ETs.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
No one is going to do the legwork for it, regardless of how deserving we think it is.

Take the time to fill out the paperwork, including a thorough summary of action with as much supporting documentation as you can find. Chances are, you might need to practice writing awards, being the future MCPON and all, and if all of the wickets are there, routing is much simpler.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

tacopie posted:

No one is going to do the legwork for it, regardless of how deserving we think it is.

Take the time to fill out the paperwork, including a thorough summary of action with as much supporting documentation as you can find. Chances are, you might need to practice writing awards, being the future MCPON and all, and if all of the wickets are there, routing is much simpler.

While you're correct about this, it's not just that it's "too much work". The other part is the political side where O-6 squadron commodores regularly get annoyed at O-5 COs for submitting too many COMs. So even if someone else does all the work to put together an immaculate award package, it may still not be submitted based on how recently that commodore has gotten annoyed at that particular CO.

But, if you want to try anyway, pages 2-68 through 2-71 and 2-75 through 2-78 of SECNAV M-1650.1 are your starting point.

Note that any nomination for the NM must include at least two notarized witness statements, each from an individual who personally witnessed the servicemember performing the act of non-combat heroism.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cerekk posted:

While you're correct about this, it's not just that it's "too much work". The other part is the political side where O-6 squadron commodores regularly get annoyed at O-5 COs for submitting too many COMs. So even if someone else does all the work to put together an immaculate award package, it may still not be submitted based on how recently that commodore has gotten annoyed at that particular CO.

But, if you want to try anyway, pages 2-68 through 2-71 and 2-75 through 2-78 of SECNAV M-1650.1 are your starting point.

Note that any nomination for the NM must include at least two notarized witness statements, each from an individual who personally witnessed the servicemember performing the act of non-combat heroism.

A NEW DUSTYNUTS HAS ENTERED THE CHAT

:swoon:

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

SquirrelyPSU posted:

A NEW DUSTYNUTS HAS ENTERED THE CHAT

:swoon:

I'm actually a line officer not a PS or whatever, I just have recent experience on the topic from spending the better part of 6 months attempting to push through a MSM as a retirement award for a 30 year master chief.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Cerekk posted:

I'm actually a line officer not a PS or whatever, I just have recent experience on the topic from spending the better part of 6 months attempting to push through a MSM as a retirement award for a 30 year master chief.

That seems like it would be an easy lift but I guess not.

They were giving those out instead of JCOMs if you stayed a whole year in Afghanistan. I already had postponed honeymoon plans booked so did not take them up on staying in the post-2016 election Kabul any longer than I had to

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cerekk posted:

I was more referring that you were quoting regulations like a boss. I love it.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Nick Soapdish posted:

That seems like it would be an easy lift but I guess not.

They were giving those out instead of JCOMs if you stayed a whole year in Afghanistan. I already had postponed honeymoon plans booked so did not take them up on staying in the post-2016 election Kabul any longer than I had to

Difficulty of getting an award approved goes up exponentially with each additional command it has to go through, and with geography. So if the first flag officer is your ISIC who is just down the road, it'll be astronomically easier than if the first flag officer is your ISIC's ISIC and the three commands involved are all remote from each other.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I am taking notes thanks. I got a lot a stuff on my plate though. Getting the witness statement may be difficult.

Also I got a side gig! I applied to be a worker-driver for the bus driver program and I start my CDL training next month. Vroom-vroom!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Cerekk posted:

Not empty quoting.

Also, for NMs, typically, those aren't handed out as much, so if legwork was already done to get the info for the package and it gets routed, a commodore might be more inclined to take a look.

When that one buddy of mine almost drowned in Deception Pass, and the MTOC guy swam out to save him, it took about a month for all to get signed and routed, but that sailor got the award he deserved.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FrozenVent posted:

Great. What's impedance?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Quackles posted:

Great. What's impedance?

Not much what's impedance with you?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Quackles posted:

Great. What's impedance?

Tricare pays for those pills

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Quackles posted:

Great. What's impedance?

A miserable pile of secrets

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 26, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quackles posted:

Great. What's impedance?

It’s what you get when you try to get a NAM for saving two people’s lives.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Quackles posted:

Great. What's impedance?

some AC bullshit that I ignore because it doesn't fit into my series-of-tubes-based mental model of electricity

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gently caress yeah my unit approved me going back to fleetweek.

Hoping to bring my wife with me this time to help fend off all the NYC cougars.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Crab Dad posted:

gently caress yeah my unit approved me going back to fleetweek.

Hoping to bring my wife with me this time to help fend off all the NYC cougars.

This is such a wildly antithetical approach to Fleet Week that it just might work.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Quackles posted:

Great. What's impedance?

Some resistance poo poo I don’t know I don’t fix the loving things.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Quackles posted:

Great. What's impedance?

$20, same as in town

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I have a 93 year old nieghbor who is a former Marine. Yes, I bought him a red and gold ball cap with dolphins that says "The Best Marine is a Submarine" that he's too chicken poo poo to wear to the VA. Anyway the other day as he was shoveling our sidewalks because he got out there before me, I asked if he heard that the Navy is allowing sailors to put their hands in their pockets.

"THEY WHAT NOW?" He thought I was kidding. He told me that in the Marines they sewed their pockets shut and I told him that we were just smart enough not to do what we were told to not do.

NGL, I'm sort of afraid of him even at his age. There was a domestic dispute across the street that bled into the street and the dude had a bat. My guy told me that he was on his way out of his house [i[with his machette[/i] before he thought maybe he should just call the cops. This man gives no fucks and has told the cops that his wife died 45 years ago and he can't wait to see her again. He stands the neighborhood midwatch and always tells me what goes on while we're sleeping. He is hands down my favorite neighbor I've ever had.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Took my chiefs exam and I was actually quite surprised that the test felt like it was 40% IT, 40%crypto,15%publication memory and barely if even 5% radio questions. Big difference from last year.

Totally stupid test for reservists ultimately. Had like 30 CANES question s. I could count on my dick how many reservists I’ve heard of being sent to a platform with it. I don’t believe they actually ask reservist IT what they do and just copy the active duty test, which would be fine if we actually ever supported them on ships.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

Took my chiefs exam and I was actually quite surprised that the test felt like it was 40% IT, 40%crypto,15%publication memory and barely if even 5% radio questions. Big difference from last year.

Totally stupid test for reservists ultimately. Had like 30 CANES question s. I could count on my dick how many reservists I’ve heard of being sent to a platform with it. I don’t believe they actually ask reservist IT what they do and just copy the active duty test, which would be fine if we actually ever supported them on ships.

So you got your board package prepped future MCPON Crab Dad?

poo poo I remember when you were just a wee baby crab ITSN.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Fleet Week is gonna be very interesting for you if you're going through season during it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Fleet Week is gonna be very interesting for you if you're going through season during it

I have faith that I’m gonna fail it. The amount of questions dealing with recall of publication numbers and not actual IT issues was staggering. I simply can’t recall them if im not using them.

I’ve been an E6 for over 4 years now and in the reserves for 9 years. I’m pretty ok with being a decent E6 reservist whenever I show up.

Would be funny if they actually had questions on setting up your commands print queues or connecting nmci computers to the wireless or DTS or anything at all to reserve work.