Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Right now my favorite difficulty is 7. I've done my fair share of 9's, but on 7 there's a bit less constant bug pressure and while bile titans show up not infrequently, it doesn't spam them like it can on 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

LazyMaybe posted:

Right now my favorite difficulty is 7. I've done my fair share of 9's, but on 7 there's a bit less constant bug pressure and while bile titans show up not infrequently, it doesn't spam them like it can on 9.

Yeah I think 7 is my favourite for a balance of hairy moments and constant pressure, but still having some fun doing secondaries and taking a dumb stratagem for fun.

8 would be more fun if you weren't getting ragdolled by four chargers half the time. I like how insane robots get on 8 and 9 tho and it doesn't feel unfun, just exhausting.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I can't decide if I'm surprised or not that a large portion of the playerbase is using macros for strategems, all I know is that they are weak and will not survive the winter.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I immediately gave up on strategem hero when I saw some chucklefucks had botted to the top of the leaderboard

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

JBP posted:

I'm having loads of fun dropping into 6 and backing up the pubbies with the spear. They've usually got everything small covered so I just fire the big boy at titans when they appear and everyone gets paid.
I quite like the spear as well, I just wish it was easier to get ammo for. Since you're only getting 1 missile back from a rearm pack you'll end up running around with an empty weapon most of the time, at least on the higher difficulties. Maybe if a rearm pack gives back 2 and ammo you find on the field gives you 1 it'd be more useful.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Exodee posted:

I quite like the spear as well, I just wish it was easier to get ammo for. Since you're only getting 1 missile back from a rearm pack you'll end up running around with an empty weapon most of the time, at least on the higher difficulties. Maybe if a rearm pack gives back 2 and ammo you find on the field gives you 1 it'd be more useful.

Yeah if you don't hit a Titan in the head with it and have to fire a second you feel bare assed very quickly on the harder modes. It does the job really well but it's not a top tier choice.

Makes you feel like a legend when you instantly problem solve a double titan shitshow though.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I can't decide if I'm surprised or not that a large portion of the playerbase is using macros for strategems, all I know is that they are weak and will not survive the winter.

It didn't occur to me that people would do this. I can't believe how dumb people are about videogames.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I think I have goon mine blindness. :ohdear:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I just played an evacuation mission on hard and it spawned non-stop hulks, devastators, and walkers. From the start.

What the gently caress.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Just did an evacuation mission with a level 39 player who had to ask how many scientist doors there were and then spent the whole match fighting from the evac platform and not opening any doors

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ijyt posted:

I immediately gave up on strategem hero when I saw some chucklefucks had botted to the top of the leaderboard

Should show friend's scores only or let you filter to only show friends imo.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

do some people have an individual victory condition to quit within the first two minutes of bile titan missions?

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Killed a bile titan with my reinforcement hellpod.
Rose with the pod elevator, full of pride.
Exploded immediately by SEAF artillery.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I was playing with pubbies on Malevon Creek when a guy joined blasting Fortunate Son on their voice chat. Good work dude, you are my hero.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

SplitSoul posted:

I think I have goon mine blindness. :ohdear:

Apparently some surfaces don't display mines properly. Also apparently if you join a game late you might not be able to to see mines laid down before you arrived.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Mainwaring posted:

Apparently some surfaces don't display mines properly. Also apparently if you join a game late you might not be able to to see mines laid down before you arrived.

Ah, okay so I am only 50% bad.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I wish it gave us just a bit more time to kill the enemies about to call in a dropship/breach. Currently you get about a second to notice and shoot a bug doing that little alarm chirp and planting it’s feet or a bit raising its arm to fire a flare. Not a lot when bullets and explosions are probably already throwing things into chaos.

The bugs are even worse about it. I’ve had moments where one those little guys starts to do the alarm chirp and dance, so I shoot it. Immediately another one starts, so I shoot it, a third starts immediately, I shoot it, and then a fourth behind a small rock immediately begins doing it and the half second delay to clear my sight line means it gets it off…

If I manage to down the alarm caller before it can finish, at least give a small cooldown before some other bug can try…

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Am I nuts or are the robots way harder at difficulty 5 than 6 or 7 because without tanks as a potential spawn you just get a ton of hulks, which is way worse

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think once you have gear that is good at killing hulks and are used to them, tanks are a lot worse because the stuff that works around them is more limited/limiting(and they'll just gib you with their cannon at range)

anything that pens medium armor can kill hulks to the eye, but unless you can get behind a tank(only sometimes realistic) you're gonna need to hit it with airstrikes or very limited ammo support weapons

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Hmm, I don't have any medium armor pentrating weapons unlocked yet so maybe that's a factor. Right now I generally need to rely on strategems or explosives for either

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Hmm, I don't have any medium armor pentrating weapons unlocked yet so maybe that's a factor. Right now I generally need to rely on strategems or explosives for either

I'm really feeling this, even with some of the bugs. My weapons are all peashooters that don't penetrate the thicc boys.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wish it gave us just a bit more time to kill the enemies about to call in a dropship/breach. Currently you get about a second to notice and shoot a bug doing that little alarm chirp and planting it’s feet or a bit raising its arm to fire a flare. Not a lot when bullets and explosions are probably already throwing things into chaos.

The bugs are even worse about it. I’ve had moments where one those little guys starts to do the alarm chirp and dance, so I shoot it. Immediately another one starts, so I shoot it, a third starts immediately, I shoot it, and then a fourth behind a small rock immediately begins doing it and the half second delay to clear my sight line means it gets it off…

If I manage to down the alarm caller before it can finish, at least give a small cooldown before some other bug can try…

It's especially rude for bugs because only regular and red skull troopers can shoot flares, but the list of bugs that can call breaches includes Hive Guards and those fuckers are not easy to kill quickly unless you have a railgun or explosive already pointed at them.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think it's enough to stagger them, and they stop trying to bug breach.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Staggering a Hive Guard facing you with less than a seconds warning without already having a grenade launcher pointed at it is also a herculean task.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Darox posted:

Staggering a Hive Guard facing you with less than a seconds warning without already having a grenade launcher pointed at it is also a herculean task.

skill issue

https://x.com/jaredkim/status/1761533710485405979

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Reduce charger spawns but up trash bug spawns IMO

100%. I actually really enjoy fighting the bugs, but it needs more bugs and less chargers. Or chargers need to be toned down significantly.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also found myself thinking the same thing. It's so fast it almost makes it impossible to interact with the mechanic. I think it leads to a lot more "the only right way to play is to aggro as little as possible" than needed. Because you aggro one thing and all of the sudden it becomes the biggest battle you'll see all drop.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I was playing with some friends and one of them dropped a rocket sentry at the front of a bot base. While I was moving around, I kept getting knocked down and I had no idea why.

The rocket sentry has back blast when it fires, just like the recoilless rifle. The small details in this game are amazing.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

toasterwarrior posted:

Reduce charger spawns but up trash bug spawns IMO

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I wouldn't even be opposed to chargers not being toned down with outright nerfs to numbers spawned or hitpoints or anything. They need something in their gameplay elements reworked to open up other options to deal with them and remove the pigeon-holing of gear layouts where you absolutely need one of the few types of armor crackers or there's no point and you're an obvious detriment to the team.

I feel if I can play bull-fighter and lure them in to a charge that hits a hill side then get behind them with an unrestricted view of their rear end while they stagger about I should be rewarded with them at the least being to the point of having their rear end blasted in to bleed-out territory with any kind of half decent weapon that isn't a pistol.

Keeping bile titans up to that level of "crack my armor or gtfo" is pretty OK as there's not three of them hiding behind every blade of grass and they kinda should be a big baddie that takes some big toys. One or two on a team taking the armor cracker roll and coordinated spotting would be enough and engaging game play, a point chargers are not at.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Here's a good solo Helldive. Completes all objectives, lots of moving around, no needlessly hanging around to fight strong enemies and groups they aren't really equipped for, very covert.

It really does seem like the intensity of a mission could be based on something like the number of players in the group, and how many times you get spotted, because this video looks less intense than a lot of level 6 duo runs I've done. It really picks up during the extraction when they can't actually run away.

e: They're using the armour that has the reduced aggro radius perk to benefit from sniper range, that apparently reduces the chance of enemies calling in reinforcements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWD7p24gA18

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 25, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Interesting article about devs discussion launch difficulties and how you can't "just add more servers."

https://www.pcgamer.com/game-devs-c...pare-for-scale/

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Darox posted:

It's easy with a breaker. The stance they take to do the call means there is unarmored parts from any direction.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
When solo queuing you should probably take the EAT until you get the Railgun. Randos love to load in with MGs, grenade launchers and autocannons and then get rolled by anything and everything armored. I would like there to be more options

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This is the best video game this year

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

More trash bugs is just a machine gun buff. I 100% improve of this idea we need more hordes to mow down and blow up!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Fangz posted:

I was playing with pubbies on Malevon Creek when a guy joined blasting Fortunate Son on their voice chat. Good work dude, you are my hero.

The one thing that is a miss for me is that musical themes are too generic to be memorable. I usually put on MW2's score by Zimmer to get me into the blasting aliens/hopeless despair mood.

What are some good songs for a Murrica/Democracy Playlist?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ChaseSP posted:

More trash bugs is just a machine gun buff. I 100% improve of this idea we need more hordes to mow down and blow up!

Seriously, chewing through hordes of the warrior bugs with automatic weapons is just the best and as a DRG veteran, very satisfying. And, ofc, very Starship Troopers.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

The robot defend evacuees mission is still hosed. No wonder everyone is playing bugs.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

TheMostFrench posted:

Here's a good solo Helldive. Completes all objectives, lots of moving around, no needlessly hanging around to fight strong enemies and groups they aren't really equipped for, very covert.

It really does seem like the intensity of a mission could be based on something like the number of players in the group, and how many times you get spotted, because this video looks less intense than a lot of level 6 duo runs I've done. It really picks up during the extraction when they can't actually run away.

e: They're using the armour that has the reduced aggro radius perk to benefit from sniper range, that apparently reduces the chance of enemies calling in reinforcements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWD7p24gA18

I run lvl 7's like this, it's a very fun way to play. Drop in with some randos, clean up half the map solo, help them out with a safe respawn when they decide to make a last stand against endless drop ships, then they'll be around to help with extracting my mountain of samples.

Bot missions are definitely more challenging due to the huge numbers of hulks and tanks at high difficulty, plus random headshot rockets that can instagib you in a standup fight. The bot heavies (and mediums for that matter) are also much harder to kill without specialized heavy weapons than bug heavies, so once you die you suddenly can't contribute much to rolling back the wave. Plus they seem to more easily enter "gently caress you, infinity spawns" mode than bugs. So my advice is to just hit da bricks before that can happen.

Just avoid the defensive evac mission at any difficulty over 5 - it instantly enters gently caress you dropship swarm mode, you won't be able to keep up with the constant heavy + medium spawns for long if only because of the ammo consumption required, and they like to drop on top of the extract door so you can't even keep the evac route clear easily. Also turrets are worse than useless because they all seem to prioritize shooting at the neverending stream of dropships they can't damage, or (mortars) will spend most of the game blowing up the evacuees or blowing up your own team while trying to hit the little jetpack guys.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 25, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Janissary Hop posted:

The robot defend evacuees mission is still hosed. No wonder everyone is playing bugs.

The biggest issue with it is that there is just no respite. The robot tsunami is constant and you can only take down so many armored bots per minute, meaning that if you ever fall behind then you're just hosed because now you have 6 tanks running around the map. You also have to be very careful about using call ins because they just gib the civilians too, since bots drop right on the exit point. It sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

CuddleCryptid posted:

The biggest issue with it is that there is just no respite. The robot tsunami is constant and you can only take down so many armored bots per minute, meaning that if you ever fall behind then you're just hosed because now you have 6 tanks running around the map. You also have to be very careful about using call ins because they just gib the civilians too, since bots drop right on the exit point. It sucks!

So, I saw someone online saying "you're doing it wrong" for those evac missions - and that you should have one person stealth into the base while others cause a distraction outside of the base to draw the robots away. Well, I put on my scout armor... sneaking up to the base and not being discovered, but as I'm sneaking up to the base.... three robot drops directly on top of the base, even though my teammates were fighting at another spot on the map. They didn't see me, sure... but they were right in the middle of the base so there was no way I was going to be able to release the civilians without being discovered. Those missions are extremely frustrating right now.