Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1761690274915287477
https://twitter.com/EddieBurfi/status/1761682385630863778
He's such a slimy little oval office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

both stupid and racist and want to be a right wing leader

oi oi oi

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
As a dumbfuck :patriot:. my understanding of the Braverman situation is: Sunak can withdraw the whip from Anderson because he has no friends in Parliament. There are no consquences. On the other hand, Sunak can't withdraw the whip because Braverman is popular enough he'd risk having a vote of no confidence in his leadership, which would trigger a new leadership contest and he might be out on his rear end and it'd be damaging for the party. But also, if she has the whip withdrawn, she cannot run as aTory. My understanding is that, even if she somehow wins as an independent/Reform in FPTP, she cannot be a Conservative MP in the leadership contest after the election. So doesn't Sunak hold the keys to Braverman's ambitions of leadership? I don't quite know how leadership contests might work with calling general elections.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Labour ‘must spend billions on welfare or poverty will soar’

Even the friendly charities and thinktanks are getting nervous now. Labour's response?

quote:

“Labour is committed to fixing this Tory failure. Our plan to tackle the root causes of poverty will grow the economy to put money back into people’s pockets, reform social security, create well-paid jobs, and deliver a bold, new cross-government child poverty strategy.”

Plz grow economy?
No money!
Only grow!

Realistically, Labour's only chance to do any good is to turn on the money firehose on day one - and equally important, the money sump pump to collect it again once it's trickled to the top. Even a few months of dithering and waiting for the "economy" to "grow" will probably doom them to nothing improving by the following election.

But they either don't want to do that, or are scared of being accused of spending all the pounds, or both :sigh:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Really taking "it's the economy, stupid" to a level where saying "it's the economy, stupid" is stupid.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just stubbed my toe, this loving economy!!!!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

You know how occasionally you run across a tech Luddite in the real world, usually a manager, who just looks pained and confused when you try to explain something like a keyboard shortcut for copy and paste?

That's sort of how I assume most named politicians are with politics, or when they think about poor people or minorities, or someone asks them why they posted a racist screed on Twitter.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I work in IT and am pro-luddite. You can blue-screen a pen and paper and the company providing the paper isn't using it to track your daily patterns to sell it to advertisers (or in the US, the cops checking to see if you're planning to get an abortion).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The previous post was sponsored by NordVPN©®

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

You can't blue-screen a pen and paper

I used to be QA, I'm pretty sure I could.

E: of course ai powered smart pens are a thing. https://nuwapen.com/#:~:text=Freedom%20to%20Write%20on%20Any,constraints%20of%20special%20paper%20notes.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 25, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bobstar posted:

Realistically, Labour's only chance to do any good is to turn on the money firehose on day one - and equally important, the money sump pump to collect it again once it's trickled to the top.
Wouldn't that plan rely on them actually taxing companies?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

I used to be QA, I'm pretty sure I could.
Bug Report XVII - Attempted to use quick search function, was hit in the face by three codices et a wooden cog

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The idea that Keith has access to a secret button that the Tories don’t that will magically make the economy multiply in size with zero investment of any sort is a huge banquet of bollocks

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Bug Report XVII - Attempted to use quick search function, was hit in the face by three codices et a wooden cog

Response to bug report XVII - Have the quality testers been at the ergot again? The codice to face functionality is a new feature, read the patch scrolls! Resolved as not a bug.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Wouldn't that plan rely on them actually taxing companies?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

The idea that Keith has access to a secret button that the Tories don’t that will magically make the economy multiply in size with zero investment of any sort is a huge banquet of bollocks

Have you considered that once labour is elected the vibes will be so good that everything will seem better even if nothing changes? This is what the economy needs.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

fuctifino posted:

Lisa Nandy was doing the interview rounds this morning. Apart from the expected genocide apologism and denials about threatening the speaker, this stood out:
https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1761692124997722396

e: I guess she's complaining about Labour MPs experiencing stuff like this:
https://twitter.com/PamelaFitzPJP/status/1761438768920215688
https://twitter.com/NewhamIndParty/status/1761391035161235899

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In bourgeois news I have finally bought a new television. The one I bought back in 2011 is still going strong but apparently new TVs have things like "nicer pictures" and "doesn't use so much power a tree dies per use."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tesseraction posted:

In bourgeois news I have finally bought a new television. The one I bought back in 2011 is still going strong but apparently new TVs have things like "nicer pictures" and "doesn't use so much power a tree dies per use."

They also tend to be like 1/4 the weight.

This is great when it comes to moving them.

Less good when you realize that the speakers that come built into TV's are awful because there is literally no space for speakers on a TV.

You can get around that with a decent Soundbar or AV system.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

We bought a new one in 2020 after our old one had a screen destroying accident. I thought it was terrible until I found out it had all kinds of motion smoothing and automatic brightness/contracts adjustment settings enabled by default, making everything look like a videogame cutscene.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Tesseraction posted:

Upgrading from wood-burning to electric then?

Or

Shinra finally issued their environment impact statements for their consumer electronics division I see

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I literally did buy it for FF7Rebirth lol. I was playing the demo and thought to myself "oh yeah my TV really is over a decade old isn't it?"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I thought it was terrible until I found out it had all kinds of motion smoothing and automatic brightness/contracts adjustment settings enabled by default, making everything look like a videogame cutscene.
I worry about that because my gran-in-law's TV keeps turning that stuff back on. It's annoying enough it happening to someone else's telly, I'd go nuts if it was mine.

I personally would like to upgrade my TV from the 'HDR sort of works but it's a ballache' generation to the 'HDR actually works holy poo poo' generation.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

I feel like that man is overdressed for that job

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Less good when you realize that the speakers that come built into TV's are awful because there is literally no space for speakers on a TV.

You can get around that with a decent Soundbar or AV system.
They should just sell them without speakers as display screen equipment rather than offering false hope, at least people would know in advance.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guavanaut posted:

They should just sell them without speakers as display screen equipment rather than offering false hope, at least people would know in advance.

Eh, I think most in-built speakers are fine for 90% of people owning them. I can't justify the expense of a decent soundbar given how marginal the actual improvement is.

People also leave motion smoothing on.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I worry about that because my gran-in-law's TV keeps turning that stuff back on. It's annoying enough it happening to someone else's telly, I'd go nuts if it was mine.

I personally would like to upgrade my TV from the 'HDR sort of works but it's a ballache' generation to the 'HDR actually works holy poo poo' generation.

Our Samsung did the same every time it downloaded a firmware update but it seems to have given up on those now and it's been retaining the settings ever since.

I've heard that Sony has considerably less of that nonsense on theirs but if I was upgrading again I'd definitely want to see it IRL first.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

stev posted:

Eh, I think most in-built speakers are fine for 90% of people owning them. I can't justify the expense of a decent soundbar given how marginal the actual improvement is.

Even a cheap pair of speakers sounds infinitely better than the built in speakers in 99% of modern tvs

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Had to stop myself from calling you a loving idiot because I realised that "Labour are going to do everything the Tories are doing but with the Economy Good button on" is actually the Labour pitch and you were criticising that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tories left a brick on the Economy Bad button, we will be taking turns holding it down manually.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Even a cheap pair of speakers sounds infinitely better than the built in speakers in 99% of modern tvs
Yeah it's this, I'm not saying 'ban speakers in tvs', and I'm sure the economy flatscreens that Jamie Oliver shits his pants over will still have speakers, but if I were spending a few hundred on AV equipment I'd rather the display screen be slightly cheaper by having no useless speakers so I could get a slightly better soundbar.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

stev posted:

I bought a 'party speaker' for £15.99 from Home Bargains a couple of years ago which I use when playing music on there just to get a semi decent bass (though Roku Express seems to have got funny with spotify - it won't connect directly to my main wifi (Three), so I have to hotspot from my phone (Smarty - which rides on Three), start spotify, then switch the network back to Three and then it works most of the time until put tv on standby and start again. On the whole headphones connected to laptop give the best sound but I don't always want to be connected to laptop or have things stuck in my ears. I tried earbuds but they kept falling out.

I might buy a soundbar next time I'm in line for a self-prezzie (birthday in April!) as I think the party speaker is beginning to play silly bs a bit lately - switching itself off and on again.

My tv is 8.5 years old now.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

It's very possible that she could be both stupid and racist and want to be a right wing leader without knowing what she's doing.

:smugdon:

Chaos is a ladder and :chaostrump: is covering it in shite as he slowly ascends towards his immortal domain.

Truss will fit in nicely. :itwaspoo:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
lol
https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1761775790994124958

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I bought an Anker soundbar whose sole job in life is to pump out my terrible music from my old, now SIMless, phone while I'm showering.

Look I've tried showering faster but then I feel like I didn't clean myself properly. I'm going to take my time and you can't stop me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When my partner had flu last year and wanted to stay in bed, I put together a TV for the bedroom out of random stuff I had lying around. Old 1080p PC monitor, cheap laptop soundbar, HDMI netflix streaming box type thing, and a sound adapter. It worked well enough that we're still using it as the bedroom TV a year later.

I heard they were all chanting "Let's Go Rishi"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Good grief, what happened to making your own music while you shower??

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pulling aside the curtain a little here I had a traumatic experience as a child that gives me extreme performance anxiety about being heard singing.

Some might say it's a natural mechanism to protect others' ears, but nevertheless I cannot sing if there's the chance that someone's listening.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tesseraction posted:

Pulling aside the curtain a little here I had a traumatic experience as a child that gives me extreme performance anxiety about being heard singing.

Some might say it's a natural mechanism to protect others' ears, but nevertheless I cannot sing if there's the chance that someone's listening.

Well, that's unfortunate. Or I dunno, depends on what kind of music your neighbours/family members like to hear.

My thing is listening to podcasts in sauna. Nature and history podcasts are particularly soothing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Tories left a brick on the Economy Bad button, we will be taking turns holding it down manually.

Yeah it's this, I'm not saying 'ban speakers in tvs', and I'm sure the economy flatscreens that Jamie Oliver shits his pants over will still have speakers, but if I were spending a few hundred on AV equipment I'd rather the display screen be slightly cheaper by having no useless speakers so I could get a slightly better soundbar.

Just a reminder that LG used to sell one of their OLED's (I think it was the Z range) that was literally just their standard TV (The C Range) bundled with a Soundbar.
They didn't remove the existing speakers, just added extra ones. For more than it would have cost to buy a C Range TV and Soundbar.

I love the LG OLED TV's but if you aren't careful when getting them, they have a range of "you didn't research this properly. Experience increased price Bij!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I suppose with TV being an offshoot of radio and everyone since John Logie Baird deciding it should come with speakers inside, all the equipment and market expectation is just set up that way, even if the speakers nowadays are just the ceramic disks you got in musical cards superglued to the inside of the bottom of the case.

Maybe if they called them 'big monitors' instead.