Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I haven't play DL2 but after taking up running I am always amused at how quickly game characters tire from sprinting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If video game sprinting distance were tied to your actual biometrics it would solve the obesity crisis overnight.

Orv
May 4, 2011
For what it’s worth I loved DL1 warts and all but felt that DL2 was pretty bad, having finally tried it early this year. The way the game handles spawning enemies kind of ruins every other aspect of the way the game is otherwise fun, especially the just running around and dunking zombies and dudes off roofs and into spikes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I would've liked Dying Light 1 a lot more if they stopped relentlessly shoving their nothingburger of a story into my throat and let me loving play the god drat game.
Sounds like DL2 is even worse on that front and they're still under the delusion that their story is worth constantly interrupting the player for.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I didn't mind the story interrupting the gameplay or the need to build up your stamina in either game, so take that for whatever it's worth.

My biggest complaint with DL2 was (at launch) they removed the zombie ragdolling. All deaths and falls were specific animations.

Kick a zombie off the edge of a roof, and they'll fall straight down in a standing position. That is, if the game didn't give them an invisible safety wall, a la Elden Ring boss fights.

The more recent patches made it better, but it's still canned animation more often than ragdoll. The zombies don't feel like they're getting hit, and they certainly don't trip over each other and walk off ledges like in the first.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I only played at launch but it was hilariously buggy/broken and had tons of bad design decisions. Other than the already mentioned huge downgrade of kinetic feel of hits on the zombies, they also introduced several other zombie types as a mini/boss fight only for them to NEVER show up again in the entire game.
The only zombies you had were the regulars + some more feral/agile ones. At night you'd get one that yells for reinforcements and a spitter type. Volatiles were confined to story missions and certain hospital zones.

I don't know how they changed this in patches but the game was just a straight downgrade from DL1 in every regard at launch.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I would've liked Dying Light 1 a lot more if they stopped relentlessly shoving their nothingburger of a story into my throat and let me loving play the god drat game.

DL1's story is amusing in how obvious it is that they went "wow people really like Vaas in Far Cry 3, our bad guy should also give really lovely monologues about his dumbass philosophy".

The writing in the expansion was decent, though, IMO.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It is kinda funny that Vaas begat the subgenre of "villain monologues philosophically at mostly mute FPS protagonist" when he's not even the main antagonist of the story. I played FC3 a couple years after it was released and was surprised when you straight up kill him halfway through.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

exquisite tea posted:

It is kinda funny that Vaas begat the subgenre of "villain monologues philosophically at mostly mute FPS protagonist" when he's not even the main antagonist of the story. I played FC3 a couple years after it was released and was surprised when you straight up kill him halfway through.
Don't you also kill him in a dream sequence but then he's just dead IRL somehow

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Volte posted:

It's a hallucinogenic drug trip, not a dream sequence. You're still doing poo poo, but you're just seeing wild poo poo while you do it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Megazver posted:

DL1's story is amusing in how obvious it is that they went "wow people really like Vaas in Far Cry 3, our bad guy should also give really lovely monologues about his dumbass philosophy".

The writing in the expansion was decent, though, IMO.

When I played the game with my friend, we had a theory about the story where the main was going schizophrenic because of the virus and the whole him being a secret agent thing was just him making poo poo up. The theory came from the fact that nobody else seems to acknowledge the secret agency thing and the fact that every time he contacted them via a broken-looking radio, the game would shift the color palette from brown to blue.

What I'm trying to say is that when a player's early slapdash theory ends up being much cooler than what the story actually is, you hosed up as a writer.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jack Trades posted:

When I played the game with my friend, we had a theory about the story where the main was going schizophrenic because of the virus and the whole him being a secret agent thing was just him making poo poo up. The theory came from the fact that nobody else seems to acknowledge the secret agency thing and the fact that every time he contacted them via a broken-looking radio, the game would shift the color palette from brown to blue.

What I'm trying to say is that when a player's early slapdash theory ends up being much cooler than what the story actually is, you hosed up as a writer.

Just like the theory in Broken Age part one, that there is no mom and dad, just artificial personas made to guide you. And the wolf, too, was part of the plan, to guide you through your rebellious teenage phase.

And then part 2 came out and it turns out no, your parents are real.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 25, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I haven't play DL2 but after taking up running I am always amused at how quickly game characters tire from sprinting.

To be honest this feels very realistic to me. I'm not even fat I just get winded quickly

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Volte posted:

Yeah, that's how all the boss fights work, you get drugged and do a fantasy sequence where he's like teleporting around and you have to kill him a dozen times with a machete. Then you wake up and see him dead on the floor.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

kazil posted:

Does DL2 still have that thing were you, the experienced runner, have 3 seconds of stamina and need to hunt down upgrades for more?

Extremely, yes. Trying to climb and parkour, even along the plotted line, feels so bad in the intro, good gods. This free weekend is not doing a great job selling me on the game.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Wasn’t DL2’s marketing excited about telling a good story too lol?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The DL2 story is absolutely abysmal and should (and can) be skipped quickly but I thought the combat was a lot of fun combined with the parkour stuff. The actual killing of zombies feels a lot chunkier in Dead Island 2 imo but the parkour and more open maps makes DL2 feel different. They've made a lot of improvements to the game since it came out too. It's a good time if you can get a friend in there with you as well.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

buglord posted:

Wasn’t DL2’s marketing excited about telling a good story too lol?

I do not recall them using the word "good"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do you really need a good story when you can instead just have a lot of story instead?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

More words than Anna Karenina. And that is a book! A long book too!

Orv
May 4, 2011
I’m sure if they’d only kept Avellone on it’d have been a masterpiece.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Aiden babaiben

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

buglord posted:

Aiden babaiben

It was all over from that very moment.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Dead Island 1 had a better story than Dying Light 1, but it was not as fun as DL1. I will assume the same is true of the second games when I get around to playing them later this year.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

It was all over from that very moment.

it only gets worse from there

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

A Bystander posted:

Dead Island 1 had a better story than Dying Light 1, but it was not as fun as DL1. I will assume the same is true of the second games when I get around to playing them later this year.

Wait, having worse story than Dead Island 1 is possible? :stare:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Dying Light's story is dire

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hwurmp posted:

it only gets worse from there
the business with what's-her-name's shoes was my breaking point, i couldn't even stand it anymore

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I remember thinking people were too harsh on the story but it really does just get worse and worse as you progress.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Everything about Aiden feels flatter than Crane from go, and that's an accomplishment. Even the flashbacks are somehow making it worse for me. Crane having basically no background somehow made him a better and more interesting character.

It helps that even deep in the poo poo, Crane has kind of a dry, exhausted sense of humor. His jokes are rarely good, but they feel... like a real reaction to me. Does Aiden actually have a sense of humor? Make any remarks? If so, they've slid completely off my brain from the little I've played this weekend.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I remember thinking people were too harsh on the story but it really does just get worse and worse as you progress.

Yeah my first few hours of the game was “oh this is just goons being goons :rolleyes:” because the intro was surprisingly decent. Then once you get to the first town the wheels start coming off rather fast and it doesn’t get better

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

explosivo posted:

The DL2 story is absolutely abysmal and should (and can) be skipped quickly but I thought the combat was a lot of fun combined with the parkour stuff. The actual killing of zombies feels a lot chunkier in Dead Island 2 imo but the parkour and more open maps makes DL2 feel different. They've made a lot of improvements to the game since it came out too. It's a good time if you can get a friend in there with you as well.

I thought dl2 was fine but forgettable, I played through most of it then dumped it when something much better came along (Elden ring? Does that timing work?). It's a classic 7/10.

I do remember being annoyed by the spawning engine going absolutely nuts on a particular quest, like just insane levels of necroflesh hurling themselves on to my machete

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

disposablewords posted:

Everything about Aiden feels flatter than Crane from go, and that's an accomplishment. Even the flashbacks are somehow making it worse for me. Crane having basically no background somehow made him a better and more interesting character.

It helps that even deep in the poo poo, Crane has kind of a dry, exhausted sense of humor. His jokes are rarely good, but they feel... like a real reaction to me. Does Aiden actually have a sense of humor? Make any remarks? If so, they've slid completely off my brain from the little I've played this weekend.

the last stretch of DL1 missions where crane is literally screaming in frustration at the zombie-shaped roadblocks constantly being dropped on him was great

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

the last stretch of DL1 missions where crane is literally screaming in frustration at the zombie-shaped roadblocks constantly being dropped on him was great

This is basically the best part of DL1's story and it's an accurate mirror to the player, which is good because a lot of the problems that happen in that are more or less Crane's fault (and not in a good way).

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wait, having worse story than Dead Island 1 is possible? :stare:

The four survivors in DI1(including Riptide in this brings it to 5) are significantly less stupid than Crane.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

does "is there any deal" just not work right anymore for everyone else? i cant edit the rules for notifications or add new rules. it never saves the changes.

edit; nevermind it just took 5 minutes to reflect the changes for some reason

Kly fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 26, 2024

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

A Bystander posted:

The four survivors in DI1(including Riptide in this brings it to 5) are significantly less stupid than Crane.

I need to know what really makes DL's story so much worse when DI has literally everything regarding the character Jin.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Oxxidation posted:

The guy who voiced Crane also did Chris Redfield several times so I imagine channeling something of that may have helped. Several different projects of Zombie poo poo allowing him to tap into the essence of Dude Sick Of Zombie poo poo.

Also just had to laugh at his tired, wry, "Eventually one of these trash bags is gonna be full of rusty knives," after a jump, and the sheer cheeky silliness of him taking a loving selfie with a Dying Light mug.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
One day I'll read the Dead Island novel I have.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

There hasn't been a single zombie game with good story telling that isn't TWD Season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Deakul posted:

There hasn't been a single zombie game with good story telling that isn't TWD Season 1.

The Typing of the Dead: Overkill