Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Tryin' to make this more disturbing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

By popular demand posted:

Tryin' to make this more disturbing

I feel like this shares a certain kinship with the very first comic posted itt
e: that or post-trump dilbert

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Some excellent stuff happening here

Brave little tailor

So as promised, here's a children's picture book by the Polish author Janosch! It's not very long; I think we'll get through it in ~4 days with a reasonable posting pace. I thought it would fit the thread for nebulous reasons, so here we go.

Context: as a kid I took piano lessons and the music institute had a bunch of random magazines, books and the like in the rooms you waited in for your lessons to begin; basically some people brought in old stuff they didn't need for you to browse through to kill time. Most of this was periodicals and random magazines, but there were some picture books, Janosch's Brave little tailor being among them. I leafed through it one time back then and the memory of it stayed with me, to the point that in 2013 or so I hunted up a copy for myself.

Once grandpa told us the following story:

One summer morning the little tailor was sitting on his table by the window. He was in a happy mood and was sewing a shirt, his needle busy at it. At that moment, a country woman came along the road and shouted: 'Buy good jam! Buy good jam!'

Now, that sounded inviting. The little tailor put his pretty head out of the window and shouted: 'Over here, dear woman! Let's make a deal!' The woman climbed the stairs, a heavy basket on her arm. The tailor ordered her to put the jam jars in front of him, inspected them, picked them up one after another, sniffed at the jam and at last said: 'This jam looks good. Weigh about half an ounce of it for me, please, dear woman, and if you happen to weigh three quarters, no matter. The woman, who had been expecting to sell a good amount of jam, left offended, grumbling to herself.

'That's good!' shouted the little tailor. 'May God bless my jam, let it bring me strength and good health!' He got a bread from the cupboard, cut a slice and spooned jam on top. 'I bet it's going to taste yummy', he talked to himself. 'But before I take even one bite, I'll finish this shirt.' The tailor put the slice of bread next to him on the table and let his needle continue the work. Out of sheer happiness he made longer and longer stitches.
The sweet smell of jam floated up the walls, black with flies. Lured by the jam, they buzzed onto the table. 'Well, well! Who invited you here!' said the little tailor and shooed the uninvited guests away. But the flies didn't understand clear instructions and wouldn't stay away from the jam. They kept returning in greater and greater numbers. Finally the little tailor lost his temper, took a length of cloth and - 'just you wait, I'll show you!' - mercilessly slammed it amidst the flies. Lifting the cloth he counted his bounty: a whole seven flies lie on the table on their backs.
'Ain't I a fine man!' said the little tailor. He had to admire his own courage. 'This is worth announcing around town!' And hurriedly he cut the cloth into a sash, hemmed it and sewed the following in large letters: Seven At One Blow. 'Around town! Surely not! The whole world must know how brave a man I am', he said, and his heart thrummed with joy like a sheep's tail.

The little tailor wrapped the sash around himself and decided to leave immediately for the wide world, because his workshop felt more cramped than ever before. Before leaving he rummaged through his house thoroughly to see if he had anything to take with him. He couldn't find more than a piece of cheese; that he put in his pocket.

He noticed a bird stuck in a bush outside by the gate. That too he put in his pocket with the cheese. Then went bravely on his way, and because he was light and nimble, he didn't get at all tired.

Next time: giants!
(This and the next update will mostly retell the classic story as-is)

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 15:15 on Feb 25, 2024

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I am so happy I can bring the raw ingredients for real artists to work with

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Oh yeah that's a well known story, I even encountered a Jewish take on it which I'll leave out until you finish.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Sludge Knight: Mito Kusahara Part One

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

No no no no no. I wanted abbeycourt manner. This isn't acceptable.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

As a Patreon member I confirm that the Abbeycourt train is not stopping, if anything it's picking up speed.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Is this how we cope with the "Drew Toothpaste stole da share z0ne" situation?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I am obviously missing some vital parts in my internet education.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Vagabond of Limbo

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

ikanreed posted:

No no no no no. I wanted abbeycourt manner. This isn't acceptable.

I gotchu

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 58: Back to Square One

Hechiken, why are so drat cool?

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 31: The Mongrel, the Guard and Standardisation

Back in chapter 18, we learned that the city government is running a brainwashing reeducation facility in Poison Swamp Parish.

Incidentally, I may have forgotten if Mixyn and Inolie's relationship had come up before now but this update confirms it. He's the guard that was harassing her in her very first appearance in chapter 8, too.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

SOUBOUTEI
MUST
BE
DESTROYED

cw: r-slur

Kids sure can be assholes sometimes

Hey Rokurou, how's it going? Doing alright? Okay

Souboutei Must Be Destroyed: 23 (+3)

I'm not too fond of these school chapters, but they do establish a couple things and we'll actually be getting to Souboutei pretty soon

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Feb 25, 2024

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Emzedoh posted:

Hechiken, why are so drat cool?

When you forsake every piece of yourself to embrace simplicity there's nothing to it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lavender Jack

Ferrier does a lot of badass things but I still particularly love her giving the stone cold brushoff to Lady Hawthorne and Gall back to back :allears:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I like the moment between Crabb and Gall's second-in-command.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Lavender Jack is so loving good. I'm so glad there's lots more of it, hope it stays this good.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I am obviously missing some vital parts in my internet education.

The person currently running dasharez0ne essentially stole it out from under the person who was originally making most of the content for it. That includes keeping all the proceeds from their kickstarter (about a quarter of a million dollars) except for like 4k that they gave them as a pittance

Quoting someone else who explained it better:

pseudorandom posted:

Dude who was barely involved with most of the rise of dasharezone suddenly started to be weird and take more interest in participation when their Kickstarter succeeded. Proceeds to bully the person who basically was responsible for the account's popularity, take over control of said accounts, and literally steal a quarter of a million dollars, all while doing transphobia and queer erasure along the way.

This is a link to the person’s doc explaining it if you want to skip Twitter to read all of the details.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Wait, what happened to da share zone? I suppose I can keep reading this Powerup arc to learn the gist lol

EDIT: beaten

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Yeah and that person was Drew Toothpaste of Toothpaste For Dinner/Married to the Sea/KOMPRESSOR/Aggro-Gator/former goon fame. Turned out the "da share my wife z0ne" thing was completely true and Drew straight up lied about a trans woman trying to seduce his wife so he could secure the kickstarter bag.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Ferrier just slides into the 'old teamaster scornful with you'

Also^^^ OH SHUCKS

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

The person currently running dasharez0ne essentially stole it out from under the person who was originally making most of the content for it. That includes keeping all the proceeds from their kickstarter (about a quarter of a million dollars) except for like 4k that they gave them as a pittance

Youremother posted:

Yeah and that person was Drew Toothpaste of Toothpaste For Dinner/Married to the Sea/KOMPRESSOR/Aggro-Gator/former goon fame. Turned out the "da share my wife z0ne" thing was completely true and Drew straight up lied about a trans woman trying to seduce his wife so he could secure the kickstarter bag.

Well poo poo.

Ferrier just slides into the 'old teamaster scornful with you'
Ferrier would absolutely team up with Hechiken to dunk on Rikyu as hard as human possibly, wouldn't she.

Lady Hawthorne's line there about Lord Hawthorne fearing death more than anything was one of those short statements that stuck with me well after I read the comic, so I'm going to ramble incoherently about it for a minute. I consider it sort of the final touch on what a complete and total rebuttal to actual Tarzan (and quite a few other archetypes of hypermasculine badasses) he is: here's this human - a social species that is typically very dependent on group living in every way to be healthy in ANY way - who survived on his own in the wilderness without other humans until adulthood through god knows what means, and how did he do that? Not via some sort of aristocratic eugenics bullshit, but through an abject and all-consuming fear of death that gave him the willingness and desperation to do anything at all to avoid it. And after spending his life that way, there was almost nothing else to him.
Almost nothing, except that he definitely loved his wife. Which is probably where any sympathy for him comes in, because most of who he was besides 'something that wanted to stay alive' is entirely because of her and he DID love her for it, and imagine how he might have turned out if she'd been someone a little bit different?

Drakyn has a new favorite as of 21:10 on Feb 25, 2024

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

This conflict probably hits a little less for y'all reading here ecause we've skipped over a couple of the chapters where these two's relationship has been built up, but I do like it as another example of, like, this comic's whole thesis, which is that talking out your problems and having healthy communication is the key to good relationships, both familial and in friendship.

Also I have a very elegant solution for both of these girls' love problems, but unfortunately that one won't be implemented

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Lunar Maladies

ETA:

Ditocoaf posted:

Feels like there's a skipped page between the last two there.

Whoops! fixed!

fritz has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Feb 26, 2024

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Feels like there's a skipped page between the last two there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Drakyn posted:

Lady Hawthorne's line there about Lord Hawthorne fearing death more than anything was one of those short statements that stuck with me well after I read the comic, so I'm going to ramble incoherently about it for a minute. I consider it sort of the final touch on what a complete and total rebuttal to actual Tarzan (and quite a few other archetypes of hypermasculine badasses) he is: here's this human - a social species that is typically very dependent on group living in every way to be healthy in ANY way - who survived on his own in the wilderness without other humans until adulthood through god knows what means, and how did he do that? Not via some sort of aristocratic eugenics bullshit, but through an abject and all-consuming fear of death that gave him the willingness and desperation to do anything at all to avoid it. And after spending his life that way, there was almost nothing else to him.
Almost nothing, except that he definitely loved his wife. Which is probably where any sympathy for him comes in, because most of who he was besides 'something that wanted to stay alive' is entirely because of her and he DID love her for it, and imagine how he might have turned out if she'd been someone a little bit different?

I mean, "man who has never known anything in his life other than the terror of death at his throat" is a pretty sympathetic character in my mind, whether or not he loves his wife. He's not well, he's not able to safely exist in society and he has to be put down before he kills more people, but gently caress, man, that's just a brutal situation. The more we saw of the Hawthornes, the more clear it is to me that the dominance they presented at the start of the comic was really paper thin—they never could have actually ruled Gallery, nor could it give them any peace if they did. Much like how Lord Hawthorne didn't actually care about the land he won in his pit fights, I don't think Lady Hawthorne was any more motivated by wealth or political ambition: it was just because life is a brutal struggle, and there is nothing else to do but brutality. They were pathetic and desperate and fundamentally broken people. Compelling villains, I'd say!

Haven't read beyond this point, so I'm not sure if this thought will get picked up through the next volume, but I think there's something in Mimsley killing Lord Hawthorne by effectively attempting suicide. He defeated him by resigning himself to death, accepting his own self-destruction and making it into a weapon against a man who was utterly ruled by his fear of it. I'm curious to see if that plays out in the next volume, or if the psychological distress we saw in the last strips was more about his first time taking a life.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

yw

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Brave little tailor

Hempuli posted:

He noticed a bird stuck in a bush outside by the gate. That too he put in his pocket with the cheese. Then went bravely on his way, and because he was light and nimble, he didn't get at all tired.

He walked along the road up to a mountain. On the tallest peak sat an enormous giant, gazing sedately around himself. The little tailor walked bravely to the giant and said: 'Good day, my man. You sit there and look at the whole wide world. That's where I'm going too, to test my might. Come with me!'
The giant looked at the tiny tailor disdainfully and snorted: 'Come with you, wimpy thing! Oh, poor you!'
'How dare you!' answered the tailor, took the sash from around himself and showed it. 'From this you can read what kind of a man I am.'
And the giant read: Seven By One Blow. He thought that the seven referred the seven men that the tailor had struck dead. The giant started to respect the tailor a little bit, but wanted to nonetheless put him to a test. He grabbed a boulder and squeezed it so that water trickled from the rock. 'Do the same, if you have the strength', he demanded.
'Is that all?' the little tailor said. 'That's child's play for someone like me!' He put his hand in his pocket, took the cheese and squeezed it so hard that whey poured out. 'I think I did better than you, or what do you think?'

The giant was dumbstruck, didn't know whether to believe his eyes or not. Then he grabbed a stone and threw it so high that one could barely make it out in the sky. 'Well, runt, do the same trick!'
'Well thrown', said the tailor. 'But the stone fell back in the end. When I throw a rock, it stays that way.
The tailor put his hand in his pocket, took the bird and threw it in the air. Being finally freed, the bird took happily to the skies and didn't return. 'What do you think, my man?' asked the tailor.
'You're a good thrower', admitted the giant. 'But now we'll see if you can carry a load.' He took the little tailor to a magnificent oak, that had fallen down, and said: 'If you have the strength, help me carry this tree out of the forest.'
'Gladly', answered the little man. 'You take the trunk, and I'll support the crown; that's the heavier end, after all.'
The giant lifted the trunk on his shoulder, but the tailor went to sit on a branch. The giant couldn't turn his head; he had to carry the entire tree and the tailor on top of it. It was nice to sit on the branch, and the little tailor started to whistle the song 'Three tailors ride out of the gate', as if the carrying had taken no effort.
After dragging his heavy cargo some ways the giant tired and shouted: 'Hey there, I need to lay the trunk on the ground.' The little tailor jumped nimbly off the branch, grabbed the tree with both hands, as if he had been supporting it, and said to the giant: 'A big man like you and not strong enough to carry a single tree.'

The giant and the little tailor continued on their way together. When they came by a cherry tree, the giant grabbed the peak, where the cherries were the ripest, and bent it down. He gave the peak for the tailor to hold onto and ordered him to try the cherries.
But the little tailor didn't have the strength to keep the tree bent. When the giant let go, the tree sprang back and threw the tailor into the air. After he fell back without harm, the giant said: 'Was that twig too tough for you to hold onto?'
'That's not what this was about', said the little tailor. 'That would've been nothing at all to a man who has killed seven at one blow. I jumped over the tree because I heard hunters shooting in the shrubbery. Jump yourself, too, if you can.' The giant tried, but couldn't make it over the tree and was left hanging from the branches. The little tailor had won once more.

The giant said: 'Since you're that strong, come stay a night in our cave.' The tailor was immediately ready to go. When they arrived at the cave, the other giants were sitting around a fire with each having a whole sheep to eat. The tailor looked around himself and pondered: 'This place is more roomy than my workshop.' The giant showed a bed for him and ordered him to lie down. But the little tailor felt that the bed was too big, and instead crawled to a corner to sleep.
At midnight the giant assumed that the tailor would be sleeping tight. He got up, got a massive iron bar and crushed the bed into pieces with one swing. He thought he had dealt with the annoying dandy as well.

Early in the morning the giants went to the forest. They had completely forgotten the little tailor, but he turned up in a good mood and full of vim. The giants were startled. They started fearing that the tailor might kill all of them, and ran away in a hurry.

But the little tailor walked onwards, in the direction his nose happened to be pointing. After walking for a long time he came to the yard of the king's castle and, being tired, threw himself onto the grass to sleep. As he was lying there, people gathered around him. They looked at him with curiosity from all angles and noticed his sash and its text: Seven At One Blow.

Next: Kings!
(The next update is where the book gets to the reason why I thought to post this here in the first place)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Precambrian posted:

I mean, "man who has never known anything in his life other than the terror of death at his throat" is a pretty sympathetic character in my mind, whether or not he loves his wife. He's not well, he's not able to safely exist in society and he has to be put down before he kills more people, but gently caress, man, that's just a brutal situation. The more we saw of the Hawthornes, the more clear it is to me that the dominance they presented at the start of the comic was really paper thin—they never could have actually ruled Gallery, nor could it give them any peace if they did. Much like how Lord Hawthorne didn't actually care about the land he won in his pit fights, I don't think Lady Hawthorne was any more motivated by wealth or political ambition: it was just because life is a brutal struggle, and there is nothing else to do but brutality. They were pathetic and desperate and fundamentally broken people. Compelling villains, I'd say!

Haven't read beyond this point, so I'm not sure if this thought will get picked up through the next volume, but I think there's something in Mimsley killing Lord Hawthorne by effectively attempting suicide. He defeated him by resigning himself to death, accepting his own self-destruction and making it into a weapon against a man who was utterly ruled by his fear of it. I'm curious to see if that plays out in the next volume, or if the psychological distress we saw in the last strips was more about his first time taking a life.
Yes, I don't think I worded OR thought through that part properly: I agree that Lord Hawthorne's terrible life definitely makes him sympathetic, and I think the proper word for the emotion I was feeling re: his humanization through Lady Hawthorne was more 'regret.' It just seems extremely depressing to see someone partially emerge from that sort of horrorshow thanks almost entirely to one other person, be terrifyingly willing to do almost anything that person wants, and then have what they want mostly be 'hatchetman.' I don't know if he ever could've been a happy person, but it seems like he could've been both less dangerous to everyone else and less insecure about his value to her if she'd encouraged him to do something obviously pointless and shown him she didn't care if he was bad at it.
I've read the full comic, but it was far enough ago that I'm nearly flying as blind as you are re: Mimley's psychology, along with everything else but the very broadest strokes of plot. I do think I agree with you on the Lavender Mutual Jump and its thematics. Sorry if this is extra incoherent; my brain is a few hours past bedtime.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

When you forsake every piece of yourself to embrace simplicity there's nothing to it.

That's the price you pay, I guess.

Drakyn posted:

Ferrier would absolutely team up with Hechiken to dunk on Rikyu as hard as human possibly, wouldn't she.

Oh necessarily.

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 29: Insubstantial

I have a feeling Ootsuki might do decently well as a cold-reading fortune teller. Can you really just spend the night at a family restaurant, though?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Drakyn posted:

Yes, I don't think I worded OR thought through that part properly: I agree that Lord Hawthorne's terrible life definitely makes him sympathetic, and I think the proper word for the emotion I was feeling re: his humanization through Lady Hawthorne was more 'regret.' It just seems extremely depressing to see someone partially emerge from that sort of horrorshow thanks almost entirely to one other person, be terrifyingly willing to do almost anything that person wants, and then have what they want mostly be 'hatchetman.' I don't know if he ever could've been a happy person, but it seems like he could've been both less dangerous to everyone else and less insecure about his value to her if she'd encouraged him to do something obviously pointless and shown him she didn't care if he was bad at it.
I've read the full comic, but it was far enough ago that I'm nearly flying as blind as you are re: Mimley's psychology, along with everything else but the very broadest strokes of plot. I do think I agree with you on the Lavender Mutual Jump and its thematics. Sorry if this is extra incoherent; my brain is a few hours past bedtime.

I think it's neat that there's some ambiguity in what Lady Hawthorne thought of Lord Hawthorne. Van Lund implies that she only thinks of him as a tool and that could be a legitimate reading. Like maybe she's not upset out of love and heartbreak, but just because her most useful toy is gone. Or it could be that she had genuine romantic feelings for him that came from a fascination with his wildness and brutality. Hard to say because she was never explicit about her feelings so all we can do is speculate

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

MS Paint Masterpieces

#454: Light Of Judgment - Crashed Metal

#455: Light Of Judgment - Bubbly Flash

#456: Light Of Judgment - Qui- Wait, No

And our introduction of the enemies in this arc!
In MM2, quick man was seen as a bit of a rival character, so his portrait was allowed to break the rules a little bit to show off:

see, he's got the helmet poking out of the frame. Ferret does something similar here.

MS Paint Masterpieces

#457: Light Of Judgment - Like I'm Fooling Anyone

#458: Light Of Judgment - Dare To Be Dumb

#459: Light Of Judgment - Devil's Playground

Enker has learned a lesson, and that lesson is: never try.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Emzedoh posted:

I have a feeling Ootsuki might do decently well as a cold-reading fortune teller. Can you really just spend the night at a family restaurant, though?

The employees are dead tired and just want them to leave, but they are broken people who completely lost the ability to say no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Such diabolical hospitality...