Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

big mean giraffe posted:

You do know stuff like ketchup and mustard and iceberry lettuce is a few cents per serving, right? And nobody struggling to make ends meet is worried about brioche buns or high-end veggie patties. Do you even have a point or know what you're talking about?

Making it a combo is disingenuous from your end, a combo is a convenience upsell that's significantly overcharging you for a low-value side and beverage on the basis that, well, you want those things to go with your sandwich. I'd be willing to bet that a small fry is the single most profitable item on every single menu it appears on, the marginal cost there is well below a quarter.

Pretending you're engaging legitimately with a food cost conversation when you insist on talking about the price of combos is extremely lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

if you have pencilhands cash, consider staging at a nice restaurant or two. you’ll learn a lot about how to eat well and how to respect workers and poor people

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

TrashMammal posted:

if you have pencilhands cash, consider staging at a nice restaurant or two. you’ll learn a lot about how to eat well and how to respect workers and poor people

I used to be a waiter so I always tip heavy :)

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

pencilhands posted:

I used to be a waiter so I always tip heavy :)

:haibrow:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

pencilhands posted:

I buy the most expensive option on purpose. Its good to have a high paying job

See that's the reason supermarkets are getting shittier and turning into Whole Foods clones. You're encouraging them buying garbage like asparagus water and impossible patties. Paying more for organic is an IQ check. Next you're gonna tell me you don't go to Market Basket.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Someone else on these forums made a good point about how people learn to cook these days. Online cooking videos are all about food that looks impressive because it's a visual medium. But people would be better off learning to cook basic stuff like rice and beans. Cheap staples that are quick and easy, taste fine, and you don't get tired of eating them on the regular. Once you've got a steady rotation of that kind of food under your belt then you can get fancy with it on the weekends. But most people need stuff they can reliably whip up on a Tuesday after a bad day at work.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

When I was young and first starting to really cook recipes from scratch the main thing that made it more expensive was that I might not have any of the ingredients for the recipe that would be basic things like spices or stock or whatever that once you start cooking you almost always have on hand. If I had to buy every single ingredient required for every recipe I make each time I made something, then yes that would be much more expensive.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm curious so I did a bit of working out. Pizza, the cheapest food.

A pepperoni pizza in Tesco is anywhere from 97p to the average of £3. You can go up to £6.50 there, but that's excessive. A pre-cooked one from the shop around the corner is between £6 and £10, and they used to be hand-made. I haven't been in there in a while.

Making two pizzas at home costs 95p for the dough. It's best made a week in advance - Actually, no. It's £1 now, because olive oil has doubled in price. It used to be £7.60, then £10something, now it's £13.40, wonderful. I'm also buying yeast in bulk, so it might cost more to in sachets. This dough generally does two of us two meals each, dinner and breakfast. You can buy pre-made pizza dough, but it's £2.50 a go.

Going without the 20g olive oil would save you 27p, so let's do that, because almost £14 is a lot to outlay at once even if you get a lot out of one bottle.

A block of the cheapest cheddar is around £3. You probably use about 20-30p~ of that? so let's say £1 so far, hoping you already had it in the fridge. Also add the cheapest mozzerella. Good lord, they're up to a quid each now at Tesco, but still 69p at Aldi. Hope you're not somewhere where a single Tesco is the only place to buy groceries, like this place was for decades. You can say "go to a farmers market and buy wonk veg", but the market here is on once a week and their veg is more expensive than Tesco's, because it's all just imported poo poo. Also good luck if you don't drive! Very few people have that option.

The cheapest pre-made pizza sauce in Tesco is £1.80, so we'll make out own. 35p for a tin of tomatoes, 55p for a head of garlic. 12p for an onion, if you can eat those, I can't. Hopefully you have salt, herbs and spices in the cupboard already. Some chilli flakes and oregano can go a long way.

A pack of pepperoni is £1.09 from Tesco, they're big pizzas, at 630g of dough so we'll use it all. It's not a huge pack.

We're up to £3.80 for two large pepperoni pizzas, made with the cheapest ingredients and no olive oil, extra toppings, or the cost of cooking/driving. You need a stand mixer or kitchen space to prepare it, and space in the fridge to store it while it's proofing. The dough has to be made at least a day or two in advance, preferably a week.

Once you've got it out the fridge and it's warmed up, you still have to let stretch it, let it rest a little, top it and then put it in the oven. Add another 27p if you want oil in your pizza dough, which you do. By the time it's cooked you've been home from work for about an hour.

Add £3 for the cheese instead if you have to buy the whole thing at once.

Or you can buy two frozen pizzas for 97p each and heat them up when you get home. Or even better, pay somebody else to make it, pick it up on the way home and don't worry any of this poo poo. Neither of them will be as good, but at the end of a long shift...?

You can say "people should live off rice and beans" forever, but people don't want to live off rice and beans. We're back to the Road to Wigan Pier and I'm arguing with VAST on facebook again.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
for its faults the InstantPot sure seemed to get a lot of people I knew into cooking cheaper foods/basics

too bad a pot roast is like $30 now ($28.74 for a 4 lb one from Wal Mart as per my last receipt).

it's definitely still cheaper to cook for yourself but the price fixing amongst meat packers + grocery stores going crazy has made some of the stuff that was much cheaper to cook yourself just permanently expensive

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm curious so I did a bit of working out. Pizza, the cheapest food.

A pepperoni pizza in Tesco is anywhere from 97p to the average of £3. You can go up to £6.50 there, but that's excessive. A pre-cooked one from the shop around the corner is between £6 and £10, and they used to be hand-made. I haven't been in there in a while.

Making two pizzas at home costs 95p for the dough. It's best made a week in advance - Actually, no. It's £1 now, because olive oil has doubled in price. It used to be £7.60, then £10something, now it's £13.40, wonderful. I'm also buying yeast in bulk, so it might cost more to in sachets. This dough generally does two of us two meals each, dinner and breakfast. You can buy pre-made pizza dough, but it's £2.50 a go.

Going without the 20g olive oil would save you 27p, so let's do that, because almost £14 is a lot to outlay at once even if you get a lot out of one bottle.

A block of the cheapest cheddar is around £3. You probably use about 20-30p~ of that? so let's say £1 so far, hoping you already had it in the fridge. Also add the cheapest mozzerella. Good lord, they're up to a quid each now at Tesco, but still 69p at Aldi. Hope you're not somewhere where a single Tesco is the only place to buy groceries, like this place was for decades. You can say "go to a farmers market and buy wonk veg", but the market here is on once a week and their veg is more expensive than Tesco's, because it's all just imported poo poo. Also good luck if you don't drive! Very few people have that option.

The cheapest pre-made pizza sauce in Tesco is £1.80, so we'll make out own. 35p for a tin of tomatoes, 55p for a head of garlic. 12p for an onion, if you can eat those, I can't. Hopefully you have salt, herbs and spices in the cupboard already. Some chilli flakes and oregano can go a long way.

A pack of pepperoni is £1.09 from Tesco, they're big pizzas, at 630g of dough so we'll use it all. It's not a huge pack.

We're up to £3.80 for two large pepperoni pizzas, made with the cheapest ingredients and no olive oil, extra toppings, or the cost of cooking/driving. You need a stand mixer or kitchen space to prepare it, and space in the fridge to store it while it's proofing. The dough has to be made at least a day or two in advance, preferably a week.

Once you've got it out the fridge and it's warmed up, you still have to let stretch it, let it rest a little, top it and then put it in the oven. Add another 27p if you want oil in your pizza dough, which you do. By the time it's cooked you've been home from work for about an hour.

Add £3 for the cheese instead if you have to buy the whole thing at once.

Or you can buy two frozen pizzas for 97p each and heat them up when you get home. Or even better, pay somebody else to make it, pick it up on the way home and don't worry any of this poo poo. Neither of them will be as good, but at the end of a long shift...?

You can say "people should live off rice and beans" forever, but people don't want to live off rice and beans. We're back to the Road to Wigan Pier and I'm arguing with VAST on facebook again.

you could also just choose to eat something with less expensive ingredients

e: sorry, forgot i was talking to goons. yeah, you’re not gonna do much better than store brand on pizza and chicken nuggets

TrashMammal fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 25, 2024

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

TrashMammal posted:

you could also just choose to eat something with less expensive ingredients

e: sorry, forgot i was talking to goons. yeah, you’re not gonna do much better than store brand on pizza and chicken nuggets

come on dude, they're talking about making pizza from scratch, that is not chicken nuggets.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

AARD VARKMAN posted:

for its faults the InstantPot sure seemed to get a lot of people I knew into cooking cheaper foods/basics

too bad a pot roast is like $30 now ($28.74 for a 4 lb one from Wal Mart as per my last receipt).

it's definitely still cheaper to cook for yourself but the price fixing amongst meat packers + grocery stores going crazy has made some of the stuff that was much cheaper to cook yourself just permanently expensive

I got a three kilo pork loin for $18 yesterday. Got four roasts/pulled porks out of it. Did one of them in the pressure cooker followed by a air fry blast and it was pretty good. lots of spices though

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Making it a combo is disingenuous from your end, a combo is a convenience upsell that's significantly overcharging you for a low-value side and beverage on the basis that, well, you want those things to go with your sandwich. I'd be willing to bet that a small fry is the single most profitable item on every single menu it appears on, the marginal cost there is well below a quarter.

Pretending you're engaging legitimately with a food cost conversation when you insist on talking about the price of combos is extremely lol.

I didn't make the $6 Whopper a combo, that's what it costs by itself

A pack of store brand buns is under $2

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 25, 2024

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think the bigger problem with pitching that it's cheaper to cook from scratch is that it's often unfair to the low income people it's directed at who primarily don't have the time, but also might not have access to the same ingredients and have to navigate between all the conflicting advice that's out there about nutrition, plus dealing with kids who might be picky eaters and not having all the expensive appliances and probably a whole bunch of other things that are easy to take for granted. In theory it can be done consistently but it's not always that easy.

It's also similar to a gripe I have against CSAs. I can only do so many things with bok choi and sweet potatoes and whatever else you might end up with. On the other hand, some people really love trying to figure out what to do with all that poo poo.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
People aren't buying food when they pay for fast food, they're buying time and mental energy

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

wash bucket posted:

Online cooking videos are all about food that looks impressive because it's a visual medium.

They are also the most contextless ADHD-pandering TikToks, no one could possibly learn anything from that kind of format.

Much like DIY repair stuff, if I want a cooking video I go on YouTube and find the oldest (not UK-based for obvious reasons) fuckers I can. Say what you want about boomers but experience is experience.

Nettle Soup posted:

I said rice and beans and supermarket rotisserie chicken, bit of a difference. Nothing wrong with that. Then toss the chicken carcass in a pot with carrots and pasta.

Eggs are back down to non-insane levels too.

To be fair I'm on one of those GLP-1 shots and I'm buying/eating like half what I usually do the past month. Turns out I'm a fat sack of poo poo glutton left to my own devices.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

lmao goons whose only conception of cooking at home is imitating bullshit fast food tale as old as time

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
One of the most important parts of learning how to be a home cook is that you can save money for the most part and then when you want a pizza you can just go get a pizza. You don’t have to imitate whatever your favorite fast food is, just make stuff that is good tasting and filling at home.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Outrail posted:

I got a three kilo pork loin for $18 yesterday. Got four roasts/pulled porks out of it. Did one of them in the pressure cooker followed by a air fry blast and it was pretty good. lots of spices though

Pork is still affordable, I'm glad about that, even if the FDA rules for it now are like one inspector per state (hyperbole) after the trump era changes

I'm also really glad I learned to cook it in a way that tastes good to me years ago, before beef became prohibitively expensive. Because I was raised on decent hamburgers/pot roasts/etc. and really really overcooked pork chops growing up, and that describes a lot of ppl I know from where I grew up.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

People aren't buying food when they pay for fast food, they're buying time and mental energy

I should have just posted this, tbh. I got kinda into it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

chadbear posted:

lmao goons whose only conception of cooking at home is imitating bullshit fast food tale as old as time

Uh it is actually much more expensive and time consuming for me to make a raising canes box combo at home!!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
There's a more extreme version of advocating cooking where its a reason people stay poor, and makes it part of bootstraps. Dan Olson made a video about it which I quite liked. Talks about the time investment of cooking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-a9VDIbZCU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Weird how despite growing up poor and both my parents working full time we still cooked meals at home and didn't eat fast food, even though that's impossible

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

pages and pages of goons overlooking this simple point

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey posted:

pages and pages of goons overlooking this simple point

This is usually something I hear from people who've never actually lived in poverty. Sticking some poo poo in the crock pot isn't some insanely taxing thing poors just don't have the mental capacity to handle, nor is some stovetop rice with exactly 2 steps.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

big mean giraffe posted:

This is usually something I hear from people who've never actually lived in poverty. Sticking some poo poo in the crock pot isn't some insanely taxing thing poors just don't have the mental capacity to handle

What post did you read? Where did they mention poverty?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

AARD VARKMAN posted:

What post did you read? Where did they mention poverty?

This entire discussion started from the cost effectiveness of buying your own groceries versus eating fast food?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

big mean giraffe posted:

This is usually something I hear from people who've never actually lived in poverty. Sticking some poo poo in the crock pot isn't some insanely taxing thing poors just don't have the mental capacity to handle, nor is some stovetop rice with exactly 2 steps.

I lived in poverty and my "apartment" didn't have a kitchen at all and I stole all of the food I ate from the restaurant I worked at. 100% restaurant food every day.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

big mean giraffe posted:

Weird how despite growing up poor and both my parents working full time we still cooked meals at home and didn't eat fast food, even though that's impossible

sorry, but have you considered that this youtuber says you’re wrong? :smuggo:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Salt Fish posted:

I lived in poverty and my "apartment" didn't have a kitchen at all and I stole all of the food I ate from the restaurant I worked at. 100% restaurant food every day.

Free work meals were a godsend when I started making too much for food stamps anymore (which was 30 hours at minimum wage, so obviously I was too well off to need them anymore)

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
A 4-pack of USDA Prime ribeyes at Whole Foods is more expensive than a steak and bean burrito at Taco Bell, checkmate goons

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Cerekk posted:

A 4-pack of USDA Prime ribeyes at Whole Foods is more expensive than a steak and bean burrito at Taco Bell, checkmate goons

Throwing away all the food in my fridge and literally crying over this right now

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I have been at the point of having nothing left in the bank, knowing nothing new was coming in because they'd cancelled my benefits and having only rice and odd tins left. Fun times.

I still get the odd craving for tinned meatballs and rice, despite having been vegetarian for years. "Why am I craving... Cat food? Oh, yeah I know."

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Would be cool if there was some place where we send kids for 13 years to learn things, some time could be set aside to learn basic cooking skills. You could even add another standardized test at the end!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

redgubbinz posted:

Would be cool if there was some place where we send kids for 13 years to learn things, some time could be set aside to learn basic cooking skills. You could even add another standardized test at the end!

Next you'll say we should teach basic financial literacy and even critical thinking skills!

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

redshirt posted:

I realize this is all higher end ingredients, but a 6 pack of Impossible Meat burger patties is 18.99 at my store, and a 6 pack of brioche buns is $7. So right from the store that's 4 dollars for a veggie burger with nothing else considered. If it does end up cheaper than going out, it's real close.

an impossible burger at a restaurant here is $19 plus tax and tip bro lol it's not close at all and suburboids addicted to fast casual restaurant culture has only existed since the 70s, it is not human nature nor is it the default order of things

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Zero VGS posted:

See that's the reason supermarkets are getting shittier and turning into Whole Foods clones. You're encouraging them buying garbage like asparagus water and impossible patties. Paying more for organic is an IQ check. Next you're gonna tell me you don't go to Market Basket.

market basket is my favorite grocery store. i wouldnt shop anywhere else if they opened one in western mass. alas....

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I am slap fighting on the internet while I make brunch for my gf right this minute, cooking is fun

Speaking of things that got shitter, Chinese takeout tripled in price in my area in the last year or so and I’ve been making big batches of the stuff I used to order and freezing it and it’s been neat learning how to make stuff I normally wouldn’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

life hack: don't eat meat