Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OH MY BAD posted:

i don't think any municipality will go the lengths you're thinking of to prosecute shoplifting, especially after the fact.

Walmart is well-known, I believe, for letting people get away with shoplifting and just gathering evidence until it crosses a felony threshold and then calling the cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

lol

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Subjunctive posted:

Walmart is well-known, I believe, for letting people get away with shoplifting and just gathering evidence until it crosses a felony threshold and then calling the cops.

the example given was a banana. i'm not talking about larceny, im talking about shoplifting

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

america should “self checkout” a functional society lmao :xd:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

funny song about politics posted:

I went to an outlet mall in Florida that had a sheriff’s lookout post on a scissor lift in the parking lot. Strange use of state resources.

I've only seen those once or twice and it was always on like, black friday

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Maybe Walmart too but specifically target is well known for this

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OH MY BAD posted:

the example given was a banana. i'm not talking about larceny, im talking about shoplifting

It becomes larceny if you do it enough times and that's the idea.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

They will sit back and record every time you steal a banana until you have crossed the threshold to become a felony banana thief. It's a well-known thing that actually happens and you can read about it :shrug:

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

now I want to see a gritty police procedural about young, beautiful, hyper competent loss prevention agents with troubled personal lives

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
How much could a banana cost? Ten dollars?

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.

Professor Beetus posted:

How much could a banana cost? Ten dollars?

It's getting there.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:lmao:

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Shame Boy posted:

They will sit back and record every time you steal a banana until you have crossed the threshold to become a felony banana thief. It's a well-known thing that actually happens and you can read about it :shrug:

show me one example of a guy getting prosecuted for stealing a felony amount of single bananas you dumbass

the cases you're talking about involve electronics/ health and beauty aids/ formula i.e. poo poo you can resell. they will 1000% nail you for these things. they are not going to nail you to the wall for stealing a single banana, and you would have to steal over 3000 of them to meet a larceny threshold.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the self scan thing sounds perfect Becuase you could bag as you go. oh well

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OH MY BAD posted:

show me one example of a guy getting prosecuted for stealing a felony amount of single bananas you dumbass

the cases you're talking about involve electronics/ health and beauty aids/ formula i.e. poo poo you can resell. they will 1000% nail you for these things. they are not going to nail you to the wall for stealing a single banana, and you would have to steal over 3000 of them to meet a larceny threshold.

So like is your assumption that wal-mart isn't petty enough to do poo poo like that?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

euphronius posted:

the self scan thing sounds perfect Becuase you could bag as you go. oh well

Wegmans used to have that and it was great, but they discontinued it and replaced it with more self-checkout machines because of shrinkage

They said it was shoplifting but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just people putting stuff in their cart and forgetting to scan it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

If you've stolen enough bananas for it to become a felony, you're full of poo poo. From constipation

World War Mammories posted:

a few years ago I lived near a grocery store with a self-scan thing, and it was great. they just gave you a little handheld dealie and whenever you put something new in your cart you’d scan it right there. then at checkout you’d just have it send the whole list you’d built up to their system and be done in under a minute. but it was probably too easy to steal from for some pencil pusher’s liking, no scale for weight checks or anything, because I’ve never seen it since

This is most of my shopping, except the handheld dealie is my phone and I just stick my stuff directly into my bag or pockets. It feels wrong the first couple of times, but it's great. And yeah, sometimes I don't notice that something didn't scan before I put it in the bag, so I have to try again after I notice it at the next item. It would be incredibly easy to cheat though, and I'm trying not to do that people who need to have the option.
Also I'm pretty sure that the staff reduction and competitive advantage of the convenience outweigh the theft, at least if most of the population aren't living paycheck to paycheck.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Maybe Walmart too but specifically target is well known for this

ah yeah, I think I got them mixed up. thank you

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Subjunctive posted:

Walmart won't do anything until someone crosses that threshold, someone can walk in and grab like, a gallon of milk and walk out & nobody will ever do anything as company policy unless they're doing it daily or start bopping tvs
target is the worst about antitheft
the FBI contracts their anti theft team for forensic investigations & they'll nail people to the wall over any amount to make a point

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
there was a shoplifting subreddit that was like 50/50 shoplifters postin tips and and Hauls and loss prevention talking about catching shoplifters and sometimes they'd be from the same stores and it was one of the best things to ever happen online

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Home Depot also does that. The one I worked at basically didn't do anything besides lock everything up to stop shoplifting, but they pushed really hard for everybody to enter everything they saw into the reporting system so they could collect videos and count inventory and keep records. It's why you occasionally see those articles about home Depot busting a shoplifting ring and finding the guy with $30,000 of stolen stuff for sale out of his garage.

Actually the one thing they did do was be really good at convincing everybody that shoplifting affected them personally so you'd have gangs of employees lurking around suspected shoplifters taking turns "providing excellent customer service" like a bunch of meerkats

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i stole felony amounts of bananas and now im on death row, they will bury me alive in a banana pile

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

blatman posted:

i stole felony amounts of bananas and now im on death row, they will bury me alive in a banana pile

You are already dead from the radiation.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

blatman posted:

The State Vs. Donkey Kong

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Dog Case posted:

Home Depot also does that. The one I worked at basically didn't do anything besides lock everything up to stop shoplifting, but they pushed really hard for everybody to enter everything they saw into the reporting system so they could collect videos and count inventory and keep records. It's why you occasionally see those articles about home Depot busting a shoplifting ring and finding the guy with $30,000 of stolen stuff for sale out of his garage.

Actually the one thing they did do was be really good at convincing everybody that shoplifting affected them personally so you'd have gangs of employees lurking around suspected shoplifters taking turns "providing excellent customer service" like a bunch of meerkats

Confirming this is still how it goes. Technically shrink does affect the pathetically small profit sharing checks, but you're never going to convince me any theft (even like, 20k or some poo poo) prevented the check from being worth a gently caress. No, HD corporate decided it would be that small, not any shoplifter.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Didn’t the retailer group come out with a report showing the shop lifting crisis was all bullshit and the lose in shrink was most likely a math error?

They're not gonna openly admit it was fake and to gin up reasons for tightening the garrote

Half these loving "crises" are fake as gently caress and the other half are heavily downplayed and directly suppressed because addressing them would damage profits

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mandel Brotset posted:

now I want to see a gritty police procedural about young, beautiful, hyper competent loss prevention agents with troubled personal lives

I threw your post into the AI and the resulting season 1 is pretty funny.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

I threw your post into the AI and the resulting season 1 is pretty funny.

Mods???

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

FirstnameLastname posted:

there was a shoplifting subreddit that was like 50/50 shoplifters postin tips and and Hauls and loss prevention talking about catching shoplifters and sometimes they'd be from the same stores and it was one of the best things to ever happen online

Don't forget all the obvious undercover cops (or undercover LP who thought they were cops) going "hello fellow shoplifters, what's the best way to steal and what's the highest value item you have pilfered???" that people kept falling for.

Anyway cspam probably doesn't need this reminder but newbies and lurkers: wage theft (that is, theft by the employer from the employee) accounts for significantly more theft than any amount of shoplifting. You've probably had more stolen than you if you worked retail than the company ever did.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
arent ppl supposed to post images in the image threads

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
the awful app's imgur integration is broken again and/or my account attached SA is broken, so I'll have to paint pictures with my words

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

bump_fn posted:

a thousand words are worth a picture, op

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

Don't forget all the obvious undercover cops (or undercover LP who thought they were cops) going "hello fellow shoplifters, what's the best way to steal and what's the highest value item you have pilfered???" that people kept falling for.

Anyway cspam probably doesn't need this reminder but newbies and lurkers: wage theft (that is, theft by the employer from the employee) accounts for significantly more theft than any amount of shoplifting. You've probably had more stolen than you if you worked retail than the company ever did.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

bump_fn posted:

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Shame Boy posted:

So like is your assumption that wal-mart isn't petty enough to do poo poo like that?

how the gently caress do you manage to cook yourself food without burning your place to the ground

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

FirstnameLastname posted:

target is the worst about antitheft
the FBI contracts their anti theft team for forensic investigations & they'll nail people to the wall over any amount to make a point

This, it's very hosed up

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OH MY BAD posted:

how the gently caress do you manage to cook yourself food without burning your place to the ground

As a little background, before I got laid off in June I worked at a place that made cash register software, building a self checkout system basically from the ground up for a big Wal-Mart competitor. As a result I'm pretty familiar with the specific ways in which large retailers are petty and paranoid about the things because we had to build that petty paranoia into our poo poo, and "whether or not the item has resale value or is even worth all that much" does not seem to factor into it.

Anyway before y'all get me up against the wall I was laid off because the whole thing fell through after like two years of intense work so they were out a bunch of money with nothing to show for it and our self checkout stuff got basically dropped on the ground unused cuz nobody else wanted something so specific to them, so if u think about it I was actually helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

would you be proud of your work had you not been laid off?